Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Much worse than the sum of its parts" was the most accurate review I saw of Disenchantment.

Great voice talent, good animation, good setting and premise, pretty bad show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch a single episode of Disenchantment. It just looks dreadful. Futurama is a satire of sci-fi adventure made by people who clearly loved the genre, but every clip I've seen of Disenchantment comes off as out of touch or unfamiliar creators trying to do a satire of fantasy.

If you want fantasy satire done right, watch Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. It’s surprising in how original and fun it is by people who did their research and by people who love the genre and game. You don’t even have to be a D&D nerd to follow it, but there is a lot of D&D lore that will sate even the nerdiest nerd. It’s campy, it’s goofy, it uses a lot of practical effects and puppetry over CGI for some things, it’s got gorgeous cinematography of Ireland and Iceland filling in for the Forgotten Realms (where the story takes place), the main characters play off each other well, and it mocks the source material in a positive way.

It’s essentially a heist movie, only there’s a chonk-rear end dragon and Jarnathan, a bird-man involved.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love the decision to go with not one, but two impossibly annoying main characters.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

You Are A Elf posted:

If you want fantasy satire done right, watch Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. It’s surprising in how original and fun it is by people who did their research and by people who love the genre and game. You don’t even have to be a D&D nerd to follow it, but there is a lot of D&D lore that will sate even the nerdiest nerd. It’s campy, it’s goofy, it uses a lot of practical effects and puppetry over CGI for some things, it’s got gorgeous cinematography of Ireland and Iceland filling in for the Forgotten Realms (where the story takes place), the main characters play off each other well, and it mocks the source material in a positive way.

It’s essentially a heist movie, only there’s a chonk-rear end dragon and Jarnathan, a bird-man involved.

Yeah, this movie kicks rear end. Even my wife, who doesn't really like D&D stuff or high fantasy in general, really liked it.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

I love the decision to go with not one, but two impossibly annoying main characters have all the characters be impossibly annoying .

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

100%, it’s a delight & perfect for Chris Pine & Hugh Grant to be lovable rogues. I like how Pine is the group bard and they keep his actions consistent with the class. Also appreciated how it’s a massive universe but didn’t feel like they were desperate to kick off their own MCU. Top tier recommend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch a single episode of Disenchantment. It just looks dreadful. Futurama is a satire of sci-fi adventure made by people who clearly loved the genre, but every clip I've seen of Disenchantment comes off as out of touch or unfamiliar creators trying to do a satire of fantasy.

That Ursula Le Guin quote about how bad ignorant attempts to criticise or parody genres you clearly aren't familiar with can come across.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Disenchantment works less as a parody of fantasy and more as a sort of lighthearted adventure story. Ultimately it isn't funny enough to be a comedy and the story isn't quite good enough to be taken seriously, but I didn't hate watching it, probably because the voice acting is just that good. Almost all of the jokes that work are sold by the voice acting. In the end I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing good to watch, but it didn't make my brain bleed in the way some of the worst Simpsons episodes do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do kinda get the feeling Matt Groening is a bit of a victim of his own success.

sweet geek swag posted:

Disenchantment works less as a parody of fantasy and more as a sort of lighthearted adventure story. Ultimately it isn't funny enough to be a comedy and the story isn't quite good enough to be taken seriously, but I didn't hate watching it, probably because the voice acting is just that good. Almost all of the jokes that work are sold by the voice acting. In the end I wouldn't recommend it unless you have nothing good to watch, but it didn't make my brain bleed in the way some of the worst Simpsons episodes do.

Funny thing, I get that. I've watched a bit of my childhood favourite, The Mighty Ducks animated series of all things (and no it doesn't have anything to do with the movies) and imo it's pretty well carried by a shockingly good voice cast with great chemistry, even before you have the main bad guy voiced by goddamn Tim Curry going full Satan as an evil space dragon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ampol_moment/status/1670193834381266944/

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, too chicken to even try to come up with a public reason Bernice would vote for HILLARY

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1671051689686896640

e: BBC viewers slam 'disgusting' Titanic tourist claiming 'mistakes are being made'

lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

well close the thread, this is the lowest point

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Other Simpsons writers desperately googling how much it cost to visit the Mariana Trench.

Simpsons writers are well aware there is always lower.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1666040826701443072

well well well look what al jean just fell down

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im glad mike reiss wasn't instapotted by the libertarian pressure cooker

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm sure someone here will know: what's the episode where Bart and Lisa are watching TV then Homer switches it off and they start screaming?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm sure someone here will know: what's the episode where Bart and Lisa are watching TV then Homer switches it off and they start screaming?

Maybe it’s Homer Goes To College when the nerd unplugs the TV for his rock tumbler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EvSk4lI70

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Maybe it’s Homer Goes To College when the nerd unplugs the TV for his rock tumbler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EvSk4lI70

That's it! I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Thanks so much! (it's for a Botchamania clip)

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Alan_Shore posted:

S05E03 Homer Goes to College, but the nerds unplug the TV for their rock tumbler?

Edit: Of course I was beaten ITT

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Alan_Shore posted:

That's it! I knew you wouldn't disappoint. Thanks so much! (it's for a Botchamania clip)

:tipshat:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

spaceblancmange posted:

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1672299155610562563?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
why indeed

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Wait a sec, are you the genius/madman behind all the botchomanias?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Wait a sec, are you the genius/madman behind all the botchomanias?

God I wish! Just submitting something!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

spaceblancmange posted:

Extremely underrated comment :golfclap:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

:golfclap:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ.

I’ll give them a shot but man that looks grim. Even in its good years, Futurama was always at its worst when it was trying to be topical.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Haha, great post in the meme fanart page, but you should tone down the parody if you want to really trick..... Wait, what?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Yep, I'm completely out. It's like three Susan Boyle quality episodes right there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can't wait to see their take on Hunter's laptop.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ugh. Hard loving pass.

Hard.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Moon Monster posted:

Can't wait to see their take on Hunter's laptop.

bender's laptop

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey I dunno maybe their episode about how many genders there are in the year 3000 will be really funny

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Who exactly was clamoring for a new season of Futurama? Who is this for?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

Who exactly was clamoring for a new season of Futurama? Who is this for?

Executives, so that they make a lot of money.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Episode 4: The head of Donald Trump did WHAT?!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

drat, I'm not even MORBIDLY curious. That just looks awful. :cripes:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Continuing Futurama rewatch, still in pretty good territory. I liked how it dated itself as early 2000s in “A Taste of Freedom” when the ultra-progressive lawyer is booed for being a polygamist & satanist, but also for having a husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Last week I was catching up on the new season of It's Always Sunny, and thinking it was doing topical episodes right. Just introduce a subject, and see how these characters respond to it. So when the Gang is introduced to the concept of inflation, we get Mac and Dennis trying to start an inflatable sofa business, and Charlie investing in 35-year-old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pies. It works much better than when the characters are just mouthpieces for whatever the writers support or oppose.

So I'd like to think the Futurama writers will take that approach.

I'd like to.