Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I was expecting a slice-of-life, office job comedy thing. Only with demons. Kind of like Ugly Americans, I guess?

Color me pleasantly surprised. The animation is also kind of nuts on this show. :stare:

Everything Viv touches will turn into a musical this is irrefutable fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So this was actually meant to be the last episode of season 1?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So this was actually meant to be the last episode of season 1?

Yeah the legal issues were Kesha's recording company being bitches about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The people complaining that Loona had had no real character development or focus episodes didn't realize there was one, it just wasn't able to be released. (I don't think it would have stopped them. They'd just move the goalpost.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

The people complaining that Loona had had no real character development or focus episodes didn't realize there was one, it just wasn't able to be released. (I don't think it would have stopped them. They'd just move the goalpost.)

I still would like some sincere Loona/Blitzo bonding while he's not almost blackout drunk, but I really loved all their interactions this episode. We saw it with the recent Season 2 episode too, but in this one he drops everything to go pick up his daughter from the party when she contacts him. The show focuses a lot on Stolas and Blitzo's relationship, but I like that it's clear Blitzo puts Loona above everything else.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I still would like some sincere Loona/Blitzo bonding while he's not almost blackout drunk, but I really loved all their interactions this episode. We saw it with the recent Season 2 episode too, but in this one he drops everything to go pick up his daughter from the party when she contacts him. The show focuses a lot on Stolas and Blitzo's relationship, but I like that it's clear Blitzo puts Loona above everything else.

I try to be patient because looking at it the show is really still in its early stages and there's a lot of development to be had but it gets so wildly frustrating watching Stolas be passive while Blitzo is just an awful loving love interest. Not to say Stolas hasn't hosed up himself but the guy is near constantly being stressed out by something and is clearly struggling to keep it together.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Flopsy posted:

Yeah the legal issues were Kesha's recording company being bitches about it.

Thought so.

This really adds a lot of new context for how Loona/Blitzo were acting in the second episode of season 2 when they had to go to earth to find Stolas' daughter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

I can see why people would say that. I don’t think it helps that Loona is also the most obvious example of furry bait in the show, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

I can see why people would say that. I don’t think it helps that Loona is also the most obvious example of furry bait in the show, though.

If they wanted to pick somebody I think Millie's more understandable being ostensibly a main character as opposed to Loona who's honestly more of a supporting character.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

I thought all of Viv's shows were explicit furry chum. Like, why do all the demons have to be vaguely animalistic when it has nothing to do with their backstory or motivation? To literally yiff in Hell, that's why.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmtcYvhj68

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The year 3023, featuring topical humor from the year 2019

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

This was also the problem with the last revival in my opinion.

I hope we get a few good episodes out of it where they decide to invent some weird future technology/plot and focus on that. Futurama was always really fun when it mixed bizarre setups and sci-fi tropes than trying to focus on a specific current event as the entire plot. The crypto one might still go that way... so far it just seems like an excuse to do a western episode. I could see it not being terrible, so long as its kind of a throwaway "in 2295 the crypto trillionaires got together and made a Westworld" kind of thing. As long as it stays that way, as just the general setup for sci-fi western tropes that might be ok.

But the COVID episode really, really looks like its going to be a whole episode of pandemic and covid jokes. It seems like we're getting another Susan Boil.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah, the cutting edge of five years ago.

Superrodan posted:

Futurama was always really fun when it mixed bizarre setups and sci-fi tropes than trying to focus on a specific current event as the entire plot

Yes.

But have you considered :effort:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it'll be anything like literally every other single futurama run, there will be a lot of mediocre to below average episodes leading up to a final episode that blows everyone away and brings even the hardest person to tears, right as it gets cancelled again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If it'll be anything like literally every other single futurama run, there will be a lot of mediocre to below average episodes leading up to a final episode that blows everyone away and brings even the hardest person to tears, right as it gets cancelled again.

And then we'll do it all over again in another ten years.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i could not possibly be less interested in the Xth reboot of one of my favorite shows. as far as i'm concerned futurama is a tight 4 seasons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When Futurama does episodes of somehow people in the future encountering technology of (a couple years before) the present for the first time and for some reason it's new and wondrous to them, it really shows the writers entirely abandoning the premise, because everything should've ran its course long ago. The only case in which it works is if they're making the commentary that whatever trend they're extolling died out hundreds of years ago, so the novelty comes from people having forgotten it. The whole point of the show is supposed to be mocking the wonders of modern society, not being awed and impressed by it.

Political commentary can work if they do it via allegory, but something like the pandemic, everybody in pop culture already exhausted their jokes about it, and Futurama already did one when Fry got a cold.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When Futurama does gender humor it feels like it's still from the 80s.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being topical is for ointments, not cartoons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so cartoons are oral or the other end?

or injected? or that weird new tech thats basically being scratched by some velcro ?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 27, 2023

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
These episode titles alone should help erase any hope you may have left.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Luckily, the series ended for me with The Devil's Hands, and I never cared much about it after that but yeah if I had any affection for the idea of More Futurama, seeing "Explovid-23" would be rather unsettling for me.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And vore. Don't forget vore.

One of the higher-ups has been self-dealing since the beginning.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

Hey, everyone thought the new Clone High season would be bad because some of the first episode stuff that leaked looked bad but that turned out alright.

Maybe this will be good despite looking bad, too!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Hey, everyone thought the new Clone High season would be bad because some of the first episode stuff that leaked looked bad but that turned out alright.

Maybe this will be good despite looking bad, too!

I'm sure there'll be a few episodes that are great like the 3rd renewal did but it'll be up in the air as to how many there'll be given that, I assume, there's a new batch of writers.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
wheres my duckman revival

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ryaomon posted:

Oh...oh no

BoosterDuck posted:

I keep saying this!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's sad when the idea of what makes a show great which exists in the minds of its fans and what makes a show great as it exists in the minds of the people who actually make the show is not only vastly different, but also incompatible.

Everything the fans want, garnered from reading this thread and people I know in real life, revolves around mocking general scifi and cultural tropes, not specific ones. Also, strong consistent characters, who naturally drive the plot by simply being who they are.

Everything the creators want, as seen from the zombie seasons and the preview, is mocking very definite events and ideas. Which can work. You just need a show like South Park with a lead time measured in days. Not years.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BoosterDuck posted:

the creator passed away last year

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Disney animation guild is collecting signatures to try and get Disney to negotiate contracts, if people want to throw their names in there

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/support-unionized-workers-at-disney20th-tv-animation

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AlternateNu posted:

I was expecting a slice-of-life, office job comedy thing. Only with demons. Kind of like Ugly Americans, I guess?

Color me pleasantly surprised. The animation is also kind of nuts on this show. :stare:

yeah, thats what i thought and why i didnt really care for the pilot and episode 1 and then loo loo land happens and THAT SCENE and i am hooked.

Ryaomon posted:

ooof.

Dawgstar posted:

while i think the show has issues(some character designs are kinda way overly busy and etc) but alot of complaints always seem loving insane.

https://twitter.com/mistmistly/status/1673430312112766982

there is weirdly big hatemob for this show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I try to be patient because looking at it the show is really still in its early stages and there's a lot of development to be had but it gets so wildly frustrating watching Stolas be passive while Blitzo is just an awful loving love interest. Not to say Stolas hasn't hosed up himself but the guy is near constantly being stressed out by something and is clearly struggling to keep it together.

yeah, i read somewhere that stolas might move on at least for a while. least thats the implication. can't blame the old boy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats what i thought and why i didnt really care for the pilot and episode 1 and then loo loo land happens and THAT SCENE and i am hooked.

ooof.

while i think the show has issues(some character designs are kinda way overly busy and etc) but alot of complaints always seem loving insane.

https://twitter.com/mistmistly/status/1673430312112766982

there is weirdly big hatemob for this show.

The wildest I'm seeing right now are people being angry at Viv for designing a character that's "hard to animate" (Queen Bee) and being all "oh those poor helpless animators :( how dare Viv be so cruel"

Meanwhile all the animators who worked on that character are posting their roughs and clean up shots and whatever else and are like I LOVED ANIMATING HER

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The wildest I'm seeing right now are people being angry at Viv for designing a character that's "hard to animate" (Queen Bee) and being all "oh those poor helpless animators :( how dare Viv be so cruel"

Meanwhile all the animators who worked on that character are posting their roughs and clean up shots and whatever else and are like I LOVED ANIMATING HER

i think the design is a little too busy(the ehtheria/lava lamp hair/tail/stomach) and i think some of her stuff is too busy in general but thats just my personal art liker opinion not a moral codemnation. its a really interesting design for a side character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the design is a little too busy(the ehtheria/lava lamp hair/tail/stomach) and i think some of her stuff is too busy in general but thats just my personal art liker opinion not a moral codemnation. its a really interesting design for a side character.

I think in this case it works for Queen Bee. She is, after all, the height of Gluttony so of course she would have and BE (heh, pun, NO) all the things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

roomtone posted:

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

anomalisa, del toro’s Pinocchio, The House

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I think in this case it works for Queen Bee. She is, after all, the height of Gluttony so of course she would have and BE (heh, pun, NO) all the things.

oh i agree.

Oxxidation posted:

anomalisa, del toro’s Pinocchio, The House

these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

People have been cultivating an unquenchable hatred for Viv since she was a teenager for the crime of possibly tracing a few things (but good luck getting any of these people to provide receipts) and possibly being a bit of a dick occasionally, something unheard of from a young person.

And it is genuinely approaching decades at this point. These people are in desperate need of an intervention and having the internet taken away from them, so unless some actual evidence emerges of any of Viv's apparently endless crimes then it would be best to not give them much credence.