Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can see why everyone was going "lol. lmao" at me :lol:

That fight was absolutely loving bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Macaluso posted:

By the time the third phase rolled around, and I was falling through the earth with Titan as the most hilariously bombastic Soken piece blared in the background, I was just laughing at what I was witnessing. It was so loving good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't wait to play this again in NG+ and watch all the bullshit happen again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Strong recommendation that everyone hold off judging the story until the credits roll. So many people are making snap judgment calls and then getting blown away by moments that are pay offs from story moments earlier in the game. The story is so awesome and extremely good.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, my response to a lot of this game has been incredulous, delighted laughter. Which is such an unexpected turn of events for how utterly grim the first several hours of the game are.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah I agree. During the Titan fight when Ifrit-Clive used the Mother Crystal's aether to make loving rock boxing mitts and then we started punching each other's fists like DBZ I was looking at the screen in a way that I was almost like the sheer audacity of these mother fuckers and just laughing. It was absolutely absurd.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I agree. During the Titan fight when Ifrit-Clive used the Mother Crystal's aether to make loving rock boxing mitts and then we started punching each other's fists like DBZ I was looking at the screen in a way that I was almost like the sheer audacity of these mother fuckers and just laughing. It was absolutely absurd.

you are already cursed; you just don't know it yet

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I had a good "can't believe this is happening, this rules" laugh with the very first eikon battle in the demo, and have had it for every single one since (except the Garuda one, which to be fair was pretty basic).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Why is Cid so cool

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
He Fucks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheHoosier posted:

Why is Cid so cool

His VA brings rough ugly man energy to an incredibly handsome rogue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And not just Cid, but like the entire cast is awesome as gently caress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Shame they forgot about Jill

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TheHoosier posted:

Why is Cid so cool

Yeah, just did Drake's Head and he's about room temperature now. :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

By the time the third phase rolled around, and I was falling through the earth with Titan as the most hilariously bombastic Soken piece blared in the background, I was just laughing at what I was witnessing. It was so loving good.

i initially thought the fight was underwhelming and then i found myself fighting a loving mountain, and then i thought that was enough, and then in the distance, approaching like a freight train: "oooooohhhh looks like it CAME BACK FOR MOOOOOORRREEEEE"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Clive's poo poo talk is badass too. He's always got some cutting jibe to roll out against his enemies that pisses them off massively.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he sounds downright feral when he’s delivering mortal blows

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I had the most hand sweaty moment on the Point of no return major boss Typhon.

I had tremendously hosed up that fight and burned through all my healing items. I had only a loving sliver of health left. I got focused. I was pulling off every move flawlessly. It went to the big cutscene. Ifrit starts charging Hellfire. Typhon charges in. I was expecting a MASH SQUARE clash, so I prepped and pressed the button when it came up. It was a DODGE THIS action I hosed up. Typhon starts pummeling Ifrit. Ifrit's health is at zero. I'm like - gently caress, guess I'll have to redo this fight. BUT THE FIGHT CONTINUED! Ifrit gets pummeled to a pulp BUT HE WAS STILL HOLDING HELLFIRE. The massive spirit bomb drops on Typhon, annihilating him.

So can you just not fail that? or did I actually have like 1 HP left, so little it wasn't even showing on the bar?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

he sounds downright feral when he’s delivering mortal blows

His “I’ll loving kill you” line at the beginning of the game was so good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Got a question about Clive's brand. I'm past "disc one" so to speak in (the first point of no return). The game shows that people are born branded. Clive gets branded sometime during the first time skip. I'm at the second time skip where he's unbranded himself and some other bearers somehow. Is it explained how he gets branded? Do we see how he figures out how to unbrand himself or does that get explained? Dunno how those scars in the shape of a brand fool people.

If my questions are answered within the story later on, then I'll be happy with knowing the game tells me later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Got a question about Clive's brand. I'm past "disc one" so to speak in (the first point of no return). The game shows that people are born branded. Clive gets branded sometime during the first time skip. I'm at the second time skip where he's unbranded himself and some other bearers somehow. Is it explained how he gets branded? Do we see how he figures out how to unbrand himself or does that get explained? Dunno how those scars in the shape of a brand fool people.

If my questions are answered within the story later on, then I'll be happy with knowing the game tells me later.

A clarification: people aren't born branded. They can be born Bearers, meaning they can naturally use magic, and in some places babies are tested at a very young age to see if they're Bearers. If they are, then they get the brand.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harrow posted:

A clarification: people aren't born branded. They can be born Bearers, meaning they can naturally use magic, and in some places babies are tested at a very young age to see if they're Bearers. If they are, then they get the brand.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I figured that the design on their cheeks was too specific to be something they were born with but figured it's a fantasy world so I just rolled with it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Detective No. 27 posted:

You're conflating two different terms.

People are born Bearers. This means they can cast magic without being near a great crystal or having a crystal shard on hand. Being Branded is what it means to have the tattoo. Once it's figured out that people are Bearers they get branded like cattle and treated as sub-human.

Clive would've been branded when he was taken prisoner. He's not actually a Bearer because he wasn't born with the innate ability to cast magic, that was all given to him by the Blessing of the Phoenix. Of course to people out of the know about that they'd just conclude he was a Bearer.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Detective No. 27 posted:

How he got branded is never explained but the safe assumption is that Sanbreque did it, and I would imagine that the magic he had from being the shield was enough to be detected by whatever means they use to detect it to begin with. Probably also safe to assume that Annabella immediately ratted him out, because she is just the god drat worst.

As for the removal of it, it does come up, and already has actually but they will bring it up some more before too long.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The game does put a bunch of detail about branding and its implications in some midgame sidequests.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Bearer like crystal bearer more or less.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You're conflating two different terms.

Yeah, once I the post above, I figured how the two terms came into play.

Gotta different question, about a side quest. Necktar's board. There's a griffin sighting. It says the location is Caer Norvent West Gate, Sanbreque. I can't figure out which place to teleport to, of if I even can at this point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, once I the post above, I figured how the two terms came into play.

Gotta different question, about a side quest. Necktar's board. There's a griffin sighting. It says the location is Caer Norvent West Gate, Sanbreque. I can't figure out which place to teleport to, of if I even can at this point.

It's at the west gate of Caer Norvent, the map just doesn't label it west gate of Caer Norvent.

Go from Lostwing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1673772806662918145
https://twitter.com/GaoRush/status/1673736567477747712

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Said it in the main FF thread, but this game has managed to now quite firmly knock the three-way fight for second favorite game in the series (between VIII, X, and XV) to a three-way fight for third favorite game. I keep thinking the most bananas cool thing the game can throw at me has passed, and then it keeps one upping itself.

The reason it's in second place is because my love for IV is eternal and undying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Been saying ever since it was revealed as an action rpg that this was just going to be a kingdom hearts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FF16 isnt kingdom hearts, the game is crazy fun for starters.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Just finished the fifth eikon fight...holy poo poo, they just keep one-upping themselves there, huh? That conversation between Clive and his mother leading up to it was so raw, too!

E: Oh my, I spoke too soon...! This really is a loving mecha

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 28, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wish the game gave you more freedom to change loadouts at the beginning of fights. You don’t know you’re about to fight a big mini-boss that your AOE abilities aren’t gonna help against until you’re already in the fight and can’t swap out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

FF16 isnt kingdom hearts, the game is crazy fun for starters.

Sounds like a good start to being a KH

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

This is me, but reverse. Started at like a 6.5 or 7 and am now firmly up in the 8 or 9 territory after getting past disc 1.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 28, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To be fair I'm eating up this political intrigue the game has going on. I actually look forward to updates from Vivian.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Augus posted:

wish the game gave you more freedom to change loadouts at the beginning of fights. You don’t know you’re about to fight a big mini-boss that your AOE abilities aren’t gonna help against until you’re already in the fight and can’t swap out.

The aoe abilities still do good damage. Some of the ones that multi target will just send the whole lot at a single target too. You're less efficient but the aoe attacks still pack a good punch.

I kind of wish I could store loadouts though

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

How can u be mad about the best parts of the game lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Failboattootoot posted:

This is me, but reverse. Started at like a 6.5 or 7 and am now firmly up in the 8 or 9 territory after getting past disc 1.

Same. I was beginning to feel a bit let down after the beginning. However, Phoenix Gate and Typhon happened and then I was like, “ah yes there we go”.

It’s been getting delightfully crazier ever since.