Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Navaash posted:

They suck. The font for 1000-5000-10000 looks like rear end picked from the Excel dropdown, and there was no reason to replace Yukichi other than that Abe was in power for so long that he likely stuck his hand into the whole process. (Fukuzawa has been on the 10000 bill since 1984.)

Considering how obsessed companies are here with excel, wouldn't surprise me if this was the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In that case it should definitely be MS Mincho.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm a 游ゴシック girl

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

In that case it should definitely be MS Mincho.

:gonk:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what's a guy gotta do to get a probation around here, trying to get my rapsheet to 50 and no one helping me out

blood is on ur hands if this ends poorly for me, GF

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 26, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've never done a theme park before but my partner is mad excited for Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios so I'm trying to get my head around how all this works.

So I'm pretty sure I can book entrance to the part on the 1st of the month, the month before we're going (so 1st September for a visit in late October). Then to get into Super Nintendo World, I need to use the app to book a Timed Entry Ticket which will give me the time we need to enter that area for, and if we leave the area and want to come back we need to queue up for a long time to get back in.

There's also Express Passes to skip the queues on some rides and I think these might also count as a Timed Area Ticket for the Nintendo area if one of the rides included in the pass is a Nintendo one?

Also the big daily park parade is on around 1pm, meaning it probably makes sense to get the timed entry to Super Nintendo World for after that if it gives me an option so that we can watch that?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The best thing about USJ is the blissfully oblivious people in the Harry Potter area. Legit hilarious.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Our traveling party includes a vegan, a gluten-freeist, a vegetarian and a keto-dude (yes, we should be barred from entry). Would it be better to ask e.g. to hold the rice, or better not to hassle the staff with special instructions and leave it uneaten? This won't be at high end places if it makes a difference.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can you just ditch them as soon as you land and enjoy your trip?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you just ditch them as soon as you land and enjoy your trip?

They've shown themselves to be quite sticky over the years. They actually think they're fun to be around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

socketwrencher posted:

Our traveling party includes a vegan, a gluten-freeist, a vegetarian and a keto-dude (yes, we should be barred from entry). Would it be better to ask e.g. to hold the rice, or better not to hassle the staff with special instructions and leave it uneaten? This won't be at high end places if it makes a difference.

Wow, you're hosed. Have fun.

Seriously though, custom orders are not a thing most of the time. Some places will do it but I would go into restaurants presuming they will not allow you to alter anything. Keto dude should be able to deal. Vegetarian and vegan is more possible than it used to be but that's still going to limit you to a handful of restaurants. I highly recommend talking to vegetarian person about just chilling out for a minute and not worrying about dashi, that will make it a thousand times easier. Gluten free person is the most hosed if they actually have a gluten intolerance since essentially everything has soy sauce in it. If they're just a weirdo it won't be a problem, just don't tell them.

I would eat with keto dude at izakayas and leave the other three to fend for themselves.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I agree. I think vegetarianism is very doable (asking for meat to be kept out is not an unheard of request and fairly reasonable to accommodate) but the vegan stuff would be much more difficult unless you all became vegan the whole trip.

If the vegan person can live with stocks made especially with fish, it will be much, much easier. Other animal products also, but dashi is by far the biggest one, I think.

As for gluten, yeah.. that's going to be very tough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are allergy cards written in Japanese they could try. I'm not sure many people would even be aware soy sauce has gluten in it though, I don't think the gluten free concept exists in Asia so nobody pays attention to it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow, you're hosed. Have fun.

Cheers. We'll be gomen nasai-ing and sumimasenning until the cows come home.

Grand Fromage posted:

Seriously though, custom orders are not a thing most of the time. Some places will do it but I would go into restaurants presuming they will not allow you to alter anything. Keto dude should be able to deal. Vegetarian and vegan is more possible than it used to be but that's still going to limit you to a handful of restaurants. I highly recommend talking to vegetarian person about just chilling out for a minute and not worrying about dashi, that will make it a thousand times easier. Gluten free person is the most hosed if they actually have a gluten intolerance since essentially everything has soy sauce in it. If they're just a weirdo it won't be a problem, just don't tell them.

[quote="Grand Fromage" post="532815978"]I would eat with keto dude at izakayas and leave the other three to fend for themselves.

Good suggestions, thanks. They're all actually pretty good about knowing what to order and eat without fussing or whining about it. The gluten-free person has been doing a mostly raw diet this year anyway and she's cool with literally buying a carrot and a bag of bean sprouts for a meal.

We won't be asking for substitutions or stuff like what's in the broth. We're just trying to figure out whether it would be more polite to ask for something to be omitted than to leave it on the plate. I can see why custom orders aren't a thing, especially in busy restaurants where it's easier for staff to crank out another Set A rather than Set A hold the gohan and no sauce on the unagi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I enjoyed my lunch at this place quite a bit: https://tofuroomdys.jimdofree.com/ Veg/vegan tofu restaurant. That whole area north/northwest of Ueno is worth a walk around, it's neat.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 27, 2023

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

totalnewbie posted:

I agree. I think vegetarianism is very doable (asking for meat to be kept out is not an unheard of request and fairly reasonable to accommodate) but the vegan stuff would be much more difficult unless you all became vegan the whole trip.

If the vegan person can live with stocks made especially with fish, it will be much, much easier. Other animal products also, but dashi is by far the biggest one, I think.

As for gluten, yeah.. that's going to be very tough.

Good points, thanks. The Veggies are not averse to ordering veg appetizers and miso soup. They're low key about it, and one claims to be the only vegetarian in the history of the world to have never told anyone that they're vegetarian (when asked, it's "I'm not into labels.").

Grand Fromage posted:

There are allergy cards written in Japanese they could try. I'm not sure many people would even be aware soy sauce has gluten in it though, I don't think the gluten free concept exists in Asia so nobody pays attention to it.

We're trying to stay away from things like allergy cards or anything else that adds even the slightest burden to the locals. We just didn't want them to be thinking "Those wasteful gaijin, if they didn't want rice why didn't they just say so."

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Grand Fromage posted:

I enjoyed my lunch at this place quite a bit: https://tofuroomdys.jimdofree.com/ Veg/vegan tofu restaurant. That whole area north/northwest of Ueno is worth a walk around, it's neat.

Right on, we'll look it up- thanks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tokyo Station has a ramen shop that is either vegan or vegetarian and has a long line of tourists and no locals out front.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Good points, thanks. The Veggies are not averse to ordering veg appetizers and miso soup. They're low key about it, and one claims to be the only vegetarian in the history of the world to have never told anyone that they're vegetarian (when asked, it's "I'm not into labels.").

Miso soup isn't vegetarian. If they're both okay with dashi for the duration of the vacation then it won't be a problem, it's easy to order stuff that isn't a hunk of meat or fish. It's dashi-free meals that are a challenge.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

socketwrencher posted:

We're trying to stay away from things like allergy cards or anything else that adds even the slightest burden to the locals. We just didn't want them to be thinking "Those wasteful gaijin, if they didn't want rice why didn't they just say so."

If your gluten free friend has a legit intolerance, you need an allergy card for them. No question. They'll hate the trip. My gluten intolerant friend paid a couple hundred bucks to leave a couple days early cause of how bad it was for him.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Waltzing Along posted:

Tokyo Station has a ramen shop that is either vegan or vegetarian and has a long line of tourists and no locals out front.

We'll check it out, thanks.

Grand Fromage posted:

Miso soup isn't vegetarian. If they're both okay with dashi for the duration of the vacation then it won't be a problem, it's easy to order stuff that isn't a hunk of meat or fish. It's dashi-free meals that are a challenge.

Ah my mistake, they probably won't do miso then. They have a bit of flexibility but they'll probably skip the soup, especially since the weather is going to be mushiatsui.

BB2K posted:

If your gluten free friend has a legit intolerance, you need an allergy card for them. No question. They'll hate the trip. My gluten intolerant friend paid a couple hundred bucks to leave a couple days early cause of how bad it was for him.

Whoa, sorry about your friend. In this case, the person mostly eats fruit, veg and nuts anyway so I think she'll be okay.

All right well it looks like we're going to be leaving food on our plates then, which we'd rather not do but you know what they say about when in Takadanobaba do as the Takadanobabadans do.

Cheers all!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

Whoa, sorry about your friend. In this case, the person mostly eats fruit, veg and nuts anyway so I think she'll be okay.

if she's planning on bringing her own stuff into restaurants...well, at least order drinks :v:

Tokyo should be doable due to language and availability of vegan/vegetarian restaurants and some flexibility, but going to any smaller cities is going to be Very Difficult.

allergy cards aren't a burden if they're clearly communicating "I can't eat this," and honestly some of the time the best way to frame vegan/vegetarianism can still be with an allergy card. It's a lot less awkward than somebody blowing up later, whether on your side or the restaurant's.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

We'll check it out, thanks.

Ah my mistake, they probably won't do miso then. They have a bit of flexibility but they'll probably skip the soup, especially since the weather is going to be mushiatsui.

All right well it looks like we're going to be leaving food on our plates then, which we'd rather not do but you know what they say about when in Takadanobaba do as the Takadanobabadans do.

Cheers all!

The Jack Sprat option also exists

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Midjack posted:

The Jack Sprat option also exists

Eating rear end?

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Eating rear end?

Jack Sprat would eat no rear end,
His wife would eat no peen?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean, so Jack ignored her flabby tits, and ate her rear end in a top hat clean.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You should make it 1000% clear beforehand that you are not going to alter your own plans and that the people with the self imposed rules are the ones who will need to adjust or go solo. Like in the most black and white terms. Don’t skip going somewhere dope like a Kobe beef place or something just because someone else doesn’t want to go. You’re spending a ton of money I assume, so don’t hold back. I’ve had people do this to me in the past and it loving blows because some places are a literal ocean away if you ever want to experience stuff again. You’ll just end up resenting them for being an albatross around your neck during possibly once in a lifetime experiences.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, I was traveling around with my Japanese friend, who can't eat meat due an allergy, and more than one night we had to spend an hour or more trying different restaurants and being told no, they have nothing she can eat. This was in smaller places in Hokkaido, but even Sapporo had a lot of places that just shook their heads at her. And that's with zero linguistic friction.

I'm sure Tokyo will be better than small-town Hokkaido, but seriously prep these people for the reality that their dietary choices will not be anywhere nearly as supported as in the US. They won't starve, but it's gonna be a trial and error process unless you've got a solid thoroughly-vetted list of spots you can go to, and that can take time. If they're not planners, then get yourself snacks throughout the day so you're not going crazy in the second hour of walking around to search results that said "vegetarian available" but actually everything has meat.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Or get yourself an AirBnB with kitchen and cook all your meals yourself.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nielsm posted:

Or get yourself an AirBnB with kitchen and cook all your meals yourself.

or at least have that be an option for those with stricter dietary restrictions. then you get the local experience of grocery shopping and finding whatever they'd need for cooking, though :v:

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

If you are doing the typical Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto kind of trip those cities all have a bunch of good vegan restaurants the vegan and vegetarian can go to.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

You can also check Happy Cow for vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurants in the area you're going. Tokyo has currently 925 options listed as vegan friendly. The site has a tag for gluten free as well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Indian food

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, my life has been crazy the past few months, but I'm ready to get back to planning my Tokyo trip (September 18-30). I've got my flights there booked, and I'm between two hotel options, both of them goon-recommended:

- Hotel Century Southern Tower (2 Chome-2-1 Yoyogi, Shibuya City)
- HOTEL MYSTAYS PREMIER Hamamatsucho (1-chōme-8-5 Hamamatsuchō, Minato City)

The pricing/rooms are pretty similar, so the main difference seems to be location. A friendly goon suggested earlier this year using Google Maps to figure out the travel difference between my intended destinations. Some of these are just if-I-have-the-time-and-energy ideas, like I'm probably not going to visit both of those bookstores for example, but it seemed like a good idea.

Totaling it up, the Hotel Century was 547 minutes with more walkable options and the Mystays was 761 minutes with more transfers necessary, so the advantage clearly seems to be for Hotel Century. That's where I was leaning already, too.

For folks who are knowledgeable about Japan's public transit system, though, I wanted to check first: is Google leading me astray with any of these? Like, are any of these bullshit directions? From what I can tell, these different transit options should be categorized as:

- the "Toei Subway" network (Oedo Line and Shinjuku Line), which is different from the "Tokyo Metro" subway network (which I don't think includes any of my needed routes for either hotel possibility)
- the "JR East" aboveground passenger train network (Yamanote Line, Chūō Line)
- the "Odakyu" aboveground passenger train network (Odakyu Line)
- the "Shinkansen" aboveground bullet train network (which I would need to use to transfer to in order to visit Hakone)
- the Narita Express, Tokyo Monorail, and Yurikamome Line all seem to be various kinds of monorail that are separate things entirely

Hopefully there's a pass I can buy that will cover some/most of these different companies simultaneously, because holy poo poo I have a headache now.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yep, a PASMO card will pay for any of those trains except maybe the Shinkansen. I believe a Suica will too although let someone who's done it confirm that. (They're competing tap-cards that are more or less identical as far as I can tell. I only got PASMO because that was the machine I saw first.) Basically the Japanese know there's so many different train companies that everything would be a goddamn mess without one integrated payment system, and thank god they actually solved the problem. You can get the payment cards either in the airport, or at worst in whatever train station you disembark the airport-Tokyo train.

Also, Hakone has a few different minor centers that can be a little ways apart on public transit, so check out where the places you're going are relative to the station you're planning to arrive at. I thiiiink the Shinkansen stop for Hakone is actually Odawara station, and then from there Hakone has a local little mountain train, or some buses, that will take you to the lake/mountain/onsen/etc that is your real destination.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 30, 2023

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
All the IC cards are basically interchangeable for tourists*. The only reason you would need a specific card is if you are a resident and need to load a monthly pass.

*The only exception is that the card you choose can only be returned in that region if you're planning to refund the card and get your deposit back. For example you cannot take your Suica and refund it in Osaka.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Hey thanks for all the suggestions and recs, they're really going to come in handy. The good thing is that I've known these folks for quite a long time and have taken trips with them before, so we've figured out how to deal with the dietary restrictions, and everyone's cool if anyone or everyone goes their own way to eat as well. My brother lost a bet and has to eat natto, so that should be fun too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

basically, those differences are about whether you want to stay at the 9 o'clock of the Yamanote Line or like the 4 o'clock, so to speak. Both stops are what I'd consider neutral in terms of routes and access - both have Yamanote Line stops, and other line options as well but honestly the green loop is most of what you need. I also hate Shinjuku Station and transferring there with the heat of a thousand Japanese summers suns, so I'd choose to stay near Hamamatsu-cho instead.

Akratic Method posted:

Also, Hakone has a few different minor centers that can be a little ways apart on public transit, so check out where the places you're going are relative to the station you're planning to arrive at. I thiiiink the Shinkansen stop for Hakone is actually Odawara station, and then from there Hakone has a local little mountain train, or some buses, that will take you to the lake/mountain/onsen/etc that is your real destination.

Yeah, the one comment I'd add - the direct train to what most people consider Hakone-rear end Hakone is the Odakyu Romancecar, which stops at Hakone Yumoto station at the far end. That one starts from Shinjuku. But it's also not difficult - just extra time - to get around the loop from Hamamatsucho to Shinjuku and transfer stations. The Shinkansen will get you to Odawara or Atami (which is a different hot springs resort town just over the border in Shizuoka), and Odawara - Hakone isn't that far, but just be aware it's not the direct route.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For the transit card, you can also get a digital one rather than a physical card for Apple Pay / Google Pay if you’re like me and want to carry as little stuff as possible. Just tap your phone onto the pad on the turnstile and on you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

For the transit card, you can also get a digital one rather than a physical card for Apple Pay / Google Pay if you’re like me and want to carry as little stuff as possible. Just tap your phone onto the pad on the turnstile and on you go.

And sometimes there are errors that mean you can't top up a Mobile Suica because software is hard. Happened just last weekend. Annoying for locals, could see it being a major pain for somebody without a Japanese phone and plan.