Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The very first thing I do in Gnome is turn off that loving hot corner. loving hate that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

You very often got software materially different from what the developer of that software intended (which is why trademark fights happened sometimes)

iceweasel

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

The very first thing I do in Gnome is turn off that loving hot corner. loving hate that poo poo.

Yeah well I was talking with the hot corner the other day and it doesn't think very highly of you either, Nitrousoxide.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cruft posted:

iceweasel

Years of my loving life, I swear.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Graphical installers are awful. Let me try and click on my time zone on a map instead of just picking from a list??? Who invents this crap. You have been deluded.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, so, counterpoint, you can use Debian Live or even the Ubuntu installer image to manually install those respective distributions the exact same as you would Arch. Just replace "pacstrap" with "debootstrap".

Honestly the thing that separates Arch from Debian unstable is more consistent Wiki documentation, otherwise I don't really get the purpose of Arch as it doesn't seem to actually fill a niche other than the documentation, and not having an official installer is one of the reasons it feels like a half-baked distribution otherwise.

I mean, I'm not trying to turn it into a distro war. I accept Arch exists because people want it to exist, fair enough. I just don't agree that "being forced to do something" (like a manual install) is inherently better when you can easily do a manual installation with plenty of other distributions with the option of using a graphical installer too.

Arch has had an official installer for a while now: https://python-archinstall.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I think its a bit more complicated than clicking next a dozen times, but its guided and shouldnt require pasting a bunch of commands from a wiki.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Would any of y'all trust Alpine Linux as a web-facing server given the lack of SELinux?

olives black fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 28, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Computer viking posted:

Or press the windows/meta key. IIRC you can also start typing in that view to search for applications you want to launch, so the "win, start typing" muscle memory from windows works (albeit with very different visuals). It's kind of nice when you get used to it.
Yeah I know there's workarounds but I'm using i3 and just wanted a throwaway VM and didn't expect you know, the basic tenet of a taskbar to be different after a couple decades. Nested meta keys also aren't super fun so back to xfce4 for this task. It's still strange to me the most conservative DE is still so quick to drop basic functions like this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

olives black posted:

Would any of y'all trust Alpine Linux as a web-facing server given the lack of SELinux?

Depends on what the web server's doing. As an extreme example, serving static files: certainly. Running SpumCo Web Server v0.9, selinux would be a great idea.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Years of my loving life, I swear.
Well what was your take on it?

Mozilla's trademark policy ran afoul of the DSFG, which was pretty important as one of the fundamental goals of Debian was to be a distribution that could freely serve as the basis for other distributions (i.e., DFSG doesn't allow for Debian-specific licensing since those licenses wouldn't carry forward to downstream projects).

Iceweasel seemed like an OK compromise and everyone ran Firefox via Ubuntu anyways, which was totally fine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Debian did the right thing, it was just a dumb situation.

I suppose I have Debian to thank for enjoying talking with lawyers.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

cruft posted:

Depends on what the web server's doing. As an extreme example, serving static files: certainly. Running SpumCo Web Server v0.9, selinux would be a great idea.

Yeah that's the general consensus I'm seeing

Wouldn't trust a properly configured AppArmor system the same with SpumCo, I take it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well what was your take on it?

Mozilla's trademark policy ran afoul of the DSFG, which was pretty important as one of the fundamental goals of Debian was to be a distribution that could freely serve as the basis for other distributions (i.e., DFSG doesn't allow for Debian-specific licensing since those licenses wouldn't carry forward to downstream projects).

Iceweasel seemed like an OK compromise and everyone ran Firefox via Ubuntu anyways, which was totally fine.

I’m talking about the years before iceweasel was settled on, when Debian was changing the Firefox product in ways that we felt changed the character of our software, but still labeling it as if it were the original. They wanted the trademark but not the license that came with it, which license (and indeed trademark law itself) in part existed to prevent exactly the sort of “hey it’s the app you love but we changed some property that might have been the whole reason you were interested in the first place” mislabeling, or the fracturing of the standards unit of Firefox, outcome.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

olives black posted:

Wouldn't trust a properly configured AppArmor system the same with SpumCo, I take it?

I have no informed opinion about that. My uninformed opinion is that they're roughly comparable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

When I first started using Firefox it was called Phoenix, and then it was called Firebird, and only eventually settled on Firefox. Partly due to that I always installed an extension called Firesomething which randomly renamed the browser to an element and an animal, so I was confused for a while by Iceweasel because it was pretty much like something that extension would name the browser.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drk posted:

Arch has had an official installer for a while now: https://python-archinstall.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I think its a bit more complicated than clicking next a dozen times, but its guided and shouldnt require pasting a bunch of commands from a wiki.

Arch Linux Wiki posted:

There are some limitations with the installer, such as that it will not configure WiFi during the installation procedure. And it will not perform a post-installation network configuration either. So you need to read up on Arch Linux networking to get that to work.

Worse than other installers anyways. It still requires you to futz around with the terminal to launch instead of assume you want it from the get go. But I suppose if we assume the kind of Linux user who wants arch wants to muddle around with the most boring aspects of an operating system, then it starts to make sense, in a masochistic way

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 28, 2023

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Arch is pretty good if you know exactly what components you want to slap together to power your shitbox. PKGBUILDs are extremely quick and easy to write compared to Debian control files or RPM SPEC files, to the extent you can learn all you need in 5 minutes. It's a hobby distro for nerds who want something matching their idea of "simple" and don't care too much about stability, rather than a "product". I think it's fine that not every distro has to be for everyone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I think that when arch started it was the only real rolling distro, besides gentoo.
That was why I choose it (a derivative) back when I moved away from gentoo. Because I think rolling distros are ideal for daily driver desktops. And also the good wiki.

The situation has improved with there being more rolling distros these days and many distros offering actually supported cross release upgrades and containerisation offering current software for old installs.
I do think that those are the factors that lead to arch fading away.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

olives black posted:

There are millions of active servers on the web protected by AppArmor. I'm sure it's fine.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

cruft posted:

I have no informed opinion about that. My uninformed opinion is that they're roughly comparable.

The SELinux Wikipedia page has a Comparison with AppArmor section.

AppArmor has been enabled by default in Debian (and Ubuntu) for several years now. I've only had to fiddle with the default policies a couple of times and each time it has has been relatively straightforward.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nothing better to do, so I am installing Gentoo in a VM.

I am learning how to type better.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Dead Goon posted:

Nothing better to do, so I am installing Gentoo in a VM.

I am learning how to type better.
Gentoo Typing Tutor. Now with BONUS OS install!

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Keito posted:

Arch is pretty good if you know exactly what components you want to slap together to power your shitbox. PKGBUILDs are extremely quick and easy to write compared to Debian control files or RPM SPEC files, to the extent you can learn all you need in 5 minutes. It's a hobby distro for nerds who want something matching their idea of "simple" and don't care too much about stability, rather than a "product". I think it's fine that not every distro has to be for everyone.

I recently learned of astOS, an immutable version of Arch Linux. Given that I will never use a non-immutable Linux again, I'm keeping an eye on that, so I can eventually move off Fedora, which is great, but I still hate RPM.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

gcc won't compile, bored now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly that's pretty impressive. I did say that Funtoo is the better Gentoo derivative, as it's actually maintained by the original Gentoo guy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gnome chat: I just realized that even though Windows (which I'm not using for work) lets you iconify things, I'm not doing it. I just got in the habit of everything being open, using desktops to group windows when I (very occasionally) needed to.

This method of working seems okay in Windows too, although I think they intended me to be iconifying things all over the place, I just don't feel the need to at this point. I wish Windows made it as easy to see all your open windows, though.

For me, at least, Gnome really hit the mark.

(also, lol, you have to reboot Windows in order to get the mouse wheel to scroll in the opposite direction)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cruft posted:

(also, lol, you have to reboot Windows in order to get the mouse wheel to scroll in the opposite direction)

And you have to redo it if you put the mouse in a different USB port because it’s keyed off the device path and not a device identifier. Good stuff.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

And you have to redo it if you put the mouse in a different USB port because it’s keyed off the device path and not a device identifier. Good stuff.

lol, is this why every once in a while windows feels the need to tell me it just installed a keyboard or mouse I've been using forever?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cruft posted:

This method of working seems okay in Windows too, although I think they intended me to be iconifying things all over the place, I just don't feel the need to at this point. I wish Windows made it as easy to see all your open windows, though.

Win-tab should work?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Computer viking posted:

Win-tab should work?

Yeah, that does a part of what Meta does in Gnome. Win by itself does another part of what Meta does in Gnome. And I guess if I install some random executable that IT is surely going to flip out about, I can get hot corners that do either Win-tab or Win but not both.

But the point was, Gnome made this a lot easier than Windows does. You just hit Meta (Windows key) to interact with the window manager, and you don't have to think about whether it's Win or Win-Tab or Win-R or whatever else shortucts I have yet to discover.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I like gnome but I’m using it on a surface so having a touch ui is relevant. No idea why itd be the default on a desktop os though

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I started using Geary recently and other than the lack of a dark mode I'm actually liking it.

I like how Gnome lets you pretty seamlessly integrate your online accounts into your OS with it automatically populating your calendar/email accounts/web drives by just logging in once in the settings.

I know this isn't like mind-blowing on a Mac or Windows or anything, but it was shockingly simple on Linux. I was honestly expected to have to log in like 6 times to do this.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 30, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not totally new to Linux, but I'm definitely new to the levels of use I've been getting into lately.

I'm trying to create a systemd service in Linux Mint. I've been trying absolutely everything I can think of, and referring to the official systemd.systemd documentation, and I absolutely cannot figure out how to just get this thing to start as a service without complaint.

It's a command line application that can run as a service. The way to manually start the service is to execute a command like
code:
$ cli-app service config configfile.json
This is how I've currently got the unit file:
code:
[Unit]
Description=Description
After=network.target

[Service]
Environment=CONFIG='config' FILE='/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json'
ExecStart=/bin/cli-app --service $CONFIG $FILE

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target
RequiredBy=network.target
I've been flipping between Type=simple and Type=exec but neither seems to make a difference.

The reason it's "cli-app --service" in the ExecStart is because that's the only time I've seen a "service started" in the output of systemctl --user status cliappservice (but it's also in among the typical output, which is a section of the middle of the cli-app's help, as though it successfully invoked the app but screwed up with the arguments.

This is my first time attempting this so if you're wondering "why did you" for anything the answer is "because I saw it in an example at one point and they don't seem to be hurting anything yet lol."

Is there a way of getting it to execute the command with those arguments, or is there something else I should be doing or looking for or that I should learn about first?

e: I could probably list out everything I've tried but that'd be so goddamn much stuff. Prefixing anything to everything with - or --, enclosing everything with quotes, moving things around the directories, etc etc etc. I'm hoping the answer is super simple and obvious and just beyond my grasp because of how new to this I am.

e2: here, have this

(I'm sure I'm the billionth person to do this)

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 30, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is how I've currently got the unit file:
code:

[Service]
Environment=CONFIG='config' FILE='/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json'

I think don't use single quotes like that?

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html

quote:

Environment=

Sets environment variables for executed processes. Each line is unquoted using the rules described in "Quoting" section in systemd.syntax(7) and becomes a list of variable assignments. If you need to assign a value containing spaces or the equals sign to a variable, put quotes around the whole assignment. Variable expansion is not performed inside the strings and the "$" character has no special meaning. Specifier expansion is performed, see the "Specifiers" section in systemd.unit(5).

This option may be specified more than once, in which case all listed variables will be set. If the same variable is listed twice, the later setting will override the earlier setting. If the empty string is assigned to this option, the list of environment variables is reset, all prior assignments have no effect.

The names of the variables can contain ASCII letters, digits, and the underscore character. Variable names cannot be empty or start with a digit. In variable values, most characters are allowed, but non-printable characters are currently rejected.

Example:

Environment="VAR1=word1 word2" VAR2=word3 "VAR3=$word 5 6"

gives three variables "VAR1", "VAR2", "VAR3" with the values "word1 word2", "word3", "$word 5 6".

So
Environment="CONFIG=config" "FILE=/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json"

(or no quotes at all if the line was as written)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Klyith posted:

So
Environment="CONFIG=config" "FILE=/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json"

(or no quotes at all if the line was as written)
oof yeah, I played around with the quotes at some point but forgot about it. I blame bad habits about not paying attention to what type of quotes I'm using

So I did that and now I'm getting this:
code:
systemd[1005]: Started CLI App Service
cli-app[1779]: Error: unknown command "/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json" for "cli-app"
cli-app[1779]: Run 'cli-app --help' for usage.
systemd[1005]: Started CLI App Service
cli-app[2339]: Error: unknown command "/home/thunderbeast/Downloads/configfile.json" for "cli-app"
cli-app[2339]: Run 'cli-app --help' for usage.
A new and different error/behavior! This is progress!

e: so this is the sticking point, I remember I've gotten here before. It's saying unknown command for the configfile path, but it's an argument that's taken by "service config"

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 30, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

service config or --service config? You've used both.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Keito posted:

Any particular reason why you're doing this manually instead of using Kodi + PseudoTV Live, Jellyfin + ErsatzTV, or dizqueTV? Seems like a waste of time and effort to reinvent the wheel, unless I'm missing the point of these playlists.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, it motivated me to get jellyfin to see the videos in some way. And it was still absurd, I had to reorganize everything, eventually got it to scan, then deleted that library because I thought I had to do things a different way but then realized that actually was the right way, went back and recreated the library with nothing changing and it detected nothing again...

But eventually I got it working. Then there were a bunch of other headaches, I have to use a dev build of ErsatzTV because no one even considers the fact that someone actually would want 4:3 video anymore, ErsatzTV is not well documented but the dev is actually really cool and helpful.

And after hours and hours, the dream is alive

Not going to be able to actually run them each on their own real channel with a UHF transmitter for each one without spending a lot of money and doing stuff that is absolutely in no way legal but, whatever, good enough emulation of the 90s/early 2000s TV experience.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

service config or --service config? You've used both.

Currently it's --service config

I even moved it all into the same folder to stop having to mess with paths. I also tested the manual command (cli-app service config configfile.json) to make sure it worked beforehand, but putting just that string by itself in ExecStart, with or without various kinds of quotes, didn't work (gave that same middle-of-the-help ouput)
code:
Environment="CONFIG=config" "FILE=configfile.json"
ExecStart=/home/thunderbeast/.config/systemd/user/cli-app --service $CONFIG $FILE
This gets me the same error as before, no matter what I try it seems to think the config file is a command instead of another argument. Also when I do "STRING=config configfile.json" it gives me the middle-of-the-help output.

systemctl --user status cliappservice
code:
Loaded: loaded (/home/thunderbeast/.config/systemd/user/cliappservice.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

systemd[1006]: Started CLI App Service
cli-app[2155]: Error: unknown command "configfile.json" for "cli-app"
cli-app[2155]: Run 'cli-app --help' for usage.
e: I'll just keep troubleshooting, I'll figure it out eventually

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Things to check:
You got a "service" option in your program, it might imply that you should set type=forking
It certainly might be some strange thing involving quotation marks
And you probably should make sure that the service user has the permissions you need. You might want to change it into a user service anyway.