Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Keromaru5 posted:

Last week I was catching up on the new season of It's Always Sunny, and thinking it was doing topical episodes right. Just introduce a subject, and see how these characters respond to it. So when the Gang is introduced to the concept of inflation, we get Mac and Dennis trying to start an inflatable sofa business, and Charlie investing in 35-year-old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Pies. It works much better than when the characters are just mouthpieces for whatever the writers support or oppose.

So I'd like to think the Futurama writers will take that approach.

I'd like to.

Sunny is unfortunately not immune from that, though it's mostly been very good about it. One particular episode that stands out to me is Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool from two seasons ago. It's, IMO, one of the worst episodes of the show because the characters are not acting like themselves at all and are clearly just playing strawmen for things the writers wanted to complain about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Killary episode is gonna slay yas queen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Futurama? Satirising historical events? Well I never!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Sunny is unfortunately not immune from that, though it's mostly been very good about it. One particular episode that stands out to me is Thunder Gun 4: Maximum Cool from two seasons ago. It's, IMO, one of the worst episodes of the show because the characters are not acting like themselves at all and are clearly just playing strawmen for things the writers wanted to complain about.
That is exactly the episode I had in mind as a counterpoint, and probably would have brought up if I weren't phone posting at the time.

Alan_Shore posted:

Futurama? Satirising historical events? Well I never!
Satirizing is one thing. Satirizing well is another.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

give me fully qpilled futurama

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dear god

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a show bounce back harder from going downhill as Always Sunny. The last two seasons have felt like classics compared to the few seasons pre-pandemic when it was obvious the whole cast was preoccupied with their other shows.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

pooch516 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a show bounce back harder from going downhill as Always Sunny. The last two seasons have felt like classics compared to the few seasons pre-pandemic when it was obvious the whole cast was preoccupied with their other shows.

Of course personal preference comes into this but Sunny, like any long running show has always had high and low points. I think it bounced back several years before the pandemic, and A Woman's Right to Chop from 2019 is a great example of the show doing a topical episode well while the characters stay, well, in character. Anyways my first sentence is already past a fallacy and just a downright lie because the Simpsons is long running and has no more highs, only newer and more dreadful lows.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hey in you know twenty, thirty years or so, who knows, there may be a another Simpsons golden age!

I mean giving up hope of that is obviously senseable, but technically it is possible for that to happen.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AI Generated Simpsons Fractal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Maybe it’s Homer Goes To College when the nerd unplugs the TV for his rock tumbler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EvSk4lI70

i like how the joke wouldnt work now because theres always some data packrat recording everything.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I didn't even know what a rock tumbler was for the longest time, and it's not a common nerd stereotype I've come across. Still funny though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I didn't even know what a rock tumbler was for the longest time, and it's not a common nerd stereotype I've come across. Still funny though.

Still baffling Homer enjoyed playing D&D for hours when in the same ep he is distracted from signing his name because of a dog walking by outside.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Morbidly curious if this could be worse than new Simpsons.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Halisnacks posted:

At least it will end

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Futuramas problem is that it never stays dead

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The Simpsons can’t die.
Futurama can never stay dead.
Disenchantment…?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hatty posted:

Futuramas problem is that it never stays dead

When the dead come back, nature abhors. They come back... different.

Hopefully in this case better! :dance:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Halisnacks posted:

The Simpsons can’t die.
Futurama can never stay dead.
Disenchantment…?

I never did get burma shave jokes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Halisnacks posted:

Oh dang that would be close. Bummer how Futurama stagnated when they have the whole universe as a potential setting, felt like the last seasons were running on empty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still baffling Homer enjoyed playing D&D for hours when in the same ep he is distracted from signing his name because of a dog walking by outside.

This tracks with most D&D players I know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

loving hell lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what there was seriously a DND episode?

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

what there was seriously a DND episode?

Nah, Homer just mentions he played DND for hours before being slain by an elf in the one where he goes to college.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

5 year old sight gag and still relevant!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
They spelled google wrong, I hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'll admit it, I might be into a Marvel Letter Column movie.

A movie about the 70s or 80s Marvel Bullpen could probably work in general.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Halisnacks posted:

We'll see in about 3.5weeks? I think the first episode is late july.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They stopped making Lego Movies, Pixar stopped making sequels, Johnny Depp and Disney have cut ties, I wish there were people out there trying to bring back Reboot, the last use of the IP was horrible.

I guess since Disney is taking another whack at Haunted Mansion, they're still doing theme park ride movies, and I don't really remember anything following in the vein of the Emoji Movie, but it sure seems like a safe bet that somebody will try using that model again.

Outpost22 posted:

They spelled google wrong, I hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Unfortunately, they were specifically hired to spell it that way because the writers are insufferable nerds.

Keromaru5 posted:

It sure is a look into another world if you find scans of old letter pages. This is the one I will always remember.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unfortunately, they were specifically hired to spell it that way because the writers are insufferable nerds.

I mean, the Googolplex Theatre predates Google, doesn't it?

It's like how people think the word is "segway" now instead of "segue", thanks to a cutesy brand name

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Data Graham posted:

I mean, the Googolplex Theatre predates Google, doesn't it?

It's like how people think the word is "segway" now instead of "segue", thanks to a cutesy brand name

I thought it was a play off "multiplex" theaters just "bigger" i could be wrong

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well yeah it was. It's a joke on multiplex theatres + https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googolplex which is also what Google is named after

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

1/10 times my brain can connect the dots. Just don't ask about the other 9 times.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Formerly Chuck’s

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gug & Plux

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Keromaru5 posted:

you'll never believe who wins a no-prize in the stinger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They stopped making Lego Movies, Pixar stopped making sequels, Johnny Depp and Disney have cut ties, I wish there were people out there trying to bring back Reboot, the last use of the IP was horrible.

They haven't quite stopped making movies with talking Lego figures, was literally just announced Pixar is making more sequels since their last original IP went over poorly, wouldn't surprise me with Johnny Depp but it's possibly more a joke about all the money he's lost, and I do wonder if they actually knew about Reboot or were just making a joke about all the reboots and prequels. Or maybe both.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Occam’s razor is that the current writers grew up after Reboot and have never heard of it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmtcYvhj68

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It feels wrong somehow for the future as imagined by 1999 to still be doing “look at these crazy present day trends!” stuff now, almost quarter of a century later. Like the world we live in has changed enough for it all to seem very incongruous to me; all the grafting of actual future onto the imagined one