Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who the gently caress greenlightninged this apparently local Houston-area movie that had a trailer play before my showing of Asteroid City

https://youtu.be/qwd9A_7n61I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who the gently caress greenlightninged this apparently local Houston-area movie that had a trailer play before my showing of Asteroid City

https://youtu.be/qwd9A_7n61I
Tbh for some reason that trailer entertained me, but only given the understanding that it's no-budget trash.

Honestly it made me want to go rewatch The Greasy Strangler

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IBSS films

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Slasher films

For real though wtf is this poo poo, just needs the robot to be a slightly better made Robot in the Family.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/bootcutgenes/status/1673425723913109506?s=20

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What, nuke it?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

McSpanky posted:

What, nuke it?

:thejoke:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Just enlist Professor Barbie into the Mahattan Project, we get pink mushroom clouds, Japan surrenders before we have to drop the bombs, wins for everyone

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

Just enlist Professor Barbie into the Mahattan Project

Sets In the City

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bikini Atoll? Sounds like a blast Ken!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

McSpanky posted:

What, nuke it?

Yep! You see, the joke of dropping a nuke on the house doesn't have anything to do with Barbie necessarily. You would expect there to be some logical connection between Oppenheimer and Barbie, but by the end you realize it's a non-sequitur. In fact, the format of the joke itself is the punchline. It's funny because it's told as if there was some relationship between nukes and dolls; realizing that there isn't, but also realizing the tweet acts as if there is, is part of the humor!

Hope you enjoyed this joke explanation! Thanks for reading.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I said that because I thought the joke was gonna be something else :(

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Barbie created Godzilla, that's the twist ending to all these movies as we move into the franchiseverse...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

End of the Barbie movie pulls back to reveal barbieville is really the fake town you see in all those nuke videos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The historical Barbie Mattel was consumed by guilt over her role in the Manhattan Project. Her family maintains that she was shot in bed by a mysterious intruder, but it’s pretty obvious she killed herself if you look into the case at all. I remember that Unsolved Mysteries where they interviewed her daughter, and it’s extremely depressing to see someone in that degree of denial.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I said that because I thought the joke was gonna be something else :(

what even would the other joke be

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

kalel posted:

Yep! You see, the joke of dropping a nuke on the house doesn't have anything to do with Barbie necessarily. You would expect there to be some logical connection between Oppenheimer and Barbie, but by the end you realize it's a non-sequitur. In fact, the format of the joke itself is the punchline. It's funny because it's told as if there was some relationship between nukes and dolls; realizing that there isn't, but also realizing the tweet acts as if there is, is part of the humor!

Hope you enjoyed this joke explanation! Thanks for reading.

A popular pastime of boys in the 80s was to take their sisters' barbies and put them in the microwave and "nuke" them. There is a long cultural tradition associating barbies with radiation, indicating that the writer of this joke understands Americana to its very core.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm pretty sure the joke was based off the fact that the original Nuclear weapons test were faked and the famous footage of the houses getting blown apart were actually barbie brand children toy houses.

Japan surrender because a wise mutant rat who learnt Ninjutsu, taught them the error of their ways.

(It was covered up obviously, because you know they didn't want to seem crazy with seeing giant mutant ninja rats and all. In 1945 that sort of thing was far less socially acceptable.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke was based off the fact that the original Nuclear weapons test were faked and the famous footage of the houses getting blown apart were actually barbie brand children toy houses.

Crazy since Barbie debuted in 1959.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nuclear explosions making things go backwards in time is explained in the Oppenheimer prequel, Tenet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Nuclear explosions making things go backwards in time is explained in the Oppenheimer prequel, Tenet.

wow this makes me want to not watch it again

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dr. Barbie B. Barbieson didn't try and commercialize her work on the Manhattan Project for quite some time.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dr_rat posted:

hoisted by my own petard if true.

mcspanky, I must issue a formal apology on behalf of my editorial team for this terrible blunder

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

wow this makes me want to not watch it again

If you watch it backwards, you'll forget you saw it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i already forgot i didn't see it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1673793051419090944?s=20

the man of steel

the woman of golden arm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He looks the part, time to get the trenbolone out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he looks like older andrew garfield when he doesn't smile

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lois is gonna do a standup set roasting Clark’s weird alien dick

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

he looks like older andrew garfield when he doesn't smile

He also look like Cavill's brother.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

The MSJ posted:

He looks like he can't grow a decent moustache, at least. That should save on visual effects costs

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

https://twitter.com/AbbyHiggs/status/1673860285440901123

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The MSJ posted:

To me he’s the love child of Cavill and Brendan Fraser

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they should have made superman black this time around. and gay

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

kalel posted:

they should have made superman black this time around. and gay
They still could, James Gunn is known for being pretty edgy

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What if Clark Kent is a straight white man while Superman is a gay black man?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Personally I'd like to see Superman as Godzilla, mostly just cos seeing him try to get away with Clark Kenting and do journalism with the glasses trick make for a great film. Wouldn't even need a b plot of him fighting a villain or anything.

I mean if they just make a Godzilla film where it's a journalist, I'd be fine with that as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What if Clark Kent is a straight white man while Superman is a gay black man?

I had heard of this guy, but I didn't know that DC almost used him with complete sincerity until after watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsWhxhxuD7s

https://youtu.be/bsWhxhxuD7s

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 28, 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Well there's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

off the top of my head: static shock, electro, miles morales spiderman

also a lot of black superheroes have the word "black" in the name? black panther, black adam, black goliath

I guess three is a pattern