Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, your logic here is kinda poor because it ignores that they're calling a "distant ancestor" of pizza and unlike the stuff you're talking about it comes from the same part of what is now Italy that pizza does.

Is there any evidence for a dish like that persisting in the ~1500 years in between this mural and pizzas?

One of my stubborn takeaways from learning about lots of history on a surface level is that from near every culture the world over, most food we think of as traditional is a few centuries old at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

Corn or potato does not make a calzone. I’ve never had a “pizza” with an alternative crust beside those gluten free ones. Also you boil as opposed to bake tamales.
So basically nothing like calzone.

You steam tamales not boil them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I guess the question is what are the essential elements of pizza?
1. Flatbread
2. Sauce
3. Cheese.

edit: 4 baked in oven

If it's got 1 and 3 it's cheezy bread and if it's got 1 and 2 it's breadsticks with dipping sauce. So unless the roman 'za has all three it doesn't count.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

You steam tamales not boil them.

Still don’t bake them whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pizza has no essential definition.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sullat posted:

edit: 4 baked in oven

You have hurt the feelings of the Scottish people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hippocrass posted:

What would the red things that look like either tomato or peppers be?

Dormice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The oldest dish I know of offhand is French toast, which has a Roman recipe that's essentially identical to how it's made today. Which I guess makes sense, any bread eating culture's going to have stale bread sitting around they want to do something useful with.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Koramei posted:

Is there any evidence for a dish like that persisting in the ~1500 years in between this mural and pizzas?

One of my stubborn takeaways from learning about lots of history on a surface level is that from near every culture the world over, most food we think of as traditional is a few centuries old at best.

Yeah, e.g. here's one of the oldest recorded recipes having stayed mostly unchanged for ~4K years:
https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/roundtable/ancient-mesopotamian-tablet-cookbook

"A similar stew is made to this day in Baghdad using white turnip instead of red beet."

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grand Fromage posted:

The oldest dish I know of offhand is French toast, which has a Roman recipe that's essentially identical to how it's made today. Which I guess makes sense, any bread eating culture's going to have stale bread sitting around they want to do something useful with.

Yeah I'd also argue that modern burek is basically the same thing as placenta.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Y'all need Wittgenstein.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

If u can build the pantheon u can put cheese n poo poo on bread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

Y'all need Wittgenstein.

the world is everything that is der Käse

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

pre-pizza roman: it's too hot to cook, let's just go to the p'zonopolium

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koramei posted:

Well since the oldest known use of the word pizza is from a Latin chronicle written in the town of Gaeta (less than 100 miles from Pompeii) in 997 AD it's safe to assume there was some sort of continuity between whatever was described as a pizza then and whatever was being made in Pompeii a few centuries earlier.

Seriously what's so hard about believing people in the vicinity of Vesuvius ate a dish composed of a round flatbread with toppings for two thousand or so years before it suddenly became popular?

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 28, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hippocrass posted:

What would the red things that look like either tomato or peppers be?

Those are both post Colombian exchange things. No tomatoes or chili peppers in the ancient world.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Those are both post Colombian exchange things. No tomatoes or chili peppers in the ancient world.

That's why they were asking what things that looked like them were familiar enough to the Romans to be included in a fresco.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prolly why they're asking

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Speaking of red foods, according to the audio commentary for Ben-Hur the set decorator had a problem thinking of a red foodstuff for one scene set in the Hur family mansion early in the film. I don't recall what they settled on eventually but the fact that he didn't immediately settle on the rare and expensive choice of A loving RED APPLE astounds me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apples feel American

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
They're in the loving Bible. A lot. Like wasn't there one observant Jew on set to point out apples were mentioned all the time in the Song of Solomon?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the red thing on the flatbread does look remarkably like tomato. time to start a conspiracy theory that tomatoes are old world

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cheetah7071 posted:

the red thing on the flatbread does look remarkably like tomato. time to start a conspiracy theory that tomatoes are old world

lol, you believe the Americas exist. rube

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

pre-pizza roman: it's too hot to cook, let's just go to the p'zonopolium
"too cramped and flammable" more like.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I vote persimmon

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Speaking of red foods, according to the audio commentary for Ben-Hur the set decorator had a problem thinking of a red foodstuff for one scene set in the Hur family mansion early in the film. I don't recall what they settled on eventually but the fact that he didn't immediately settle on the rare and expensive choice of A loving RED APPLE astounds me.

I can see why they'd stumble over that - even if it is historically accurate, the filmgoing audience is likely to think it's a lazy anachronism, simply because apples are so common.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I occassionally see the "Maize was invented by Indians and by that I literally mean people in India" conspiracy theorists on twitter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like food is a very temporal aspect of culture, that while certainly many elements go back a long time, the actual food as we know and experience it shifts around a lot even within one lifetime. Going much further than that, and a lot of foods start getting pretty hard to recognize one or two centuries out. Going back like 500 years, language gets harder to understand without some work, and a lot of words can shift around (some languages shift more than others, 1000 years ago and you end up before the English language existed). In the wake of that kind of shifting, a dish with a name and what it means to people is going to be even more ephemeral.

But so far as ways to get attention to archeological work, dredging up an apparent ancient version of a modern food is a better trick than claiming that whatever dead person you're digging up is (or could be) somebody famous.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tunicate posted:

I occassionally see the "Maize was invented by Indians and by that I literally mean people in India" conspiracy theorists on twitter.
This the Out of India people?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That circle of bread was popular in Pompeii and sold from roadside carts like we have today

They have found carbonized remains of them

I would assume it was eaten in many way but probably commonly dipped in olive oil which was ubiquitous

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

euphronius posted:

That circle of bread was popular in Pompeii and sold from roadside carts like we have today

They have found carbonized remains of them…
Was one of. Them. Found with…a...Dog?

/starts hysterical crying for the next 16 hours.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cheetah7071 posted:

It was an unknown type of incredibly toxic nightshade which the Romans ate into extinction

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CommonShore posted:

I vote persimmon

I don't think persimmons had made it that far west by the 1st century. Perhaps a plum?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Persimmons are also Americas, US east coast so they are a no too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it might be meat? it looks pretty similar to the thing on the far right, which is less ambiguous. At first I thought the white specks on it were seeds, which is why tomatoes and bell peppers jump to mind, but though are just spots where it's damaged, I think

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Persimmons are also Americas, US east coast so they are a no too.
There are also asian persimmons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

could be shallots

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

TIL that that when English speakers talk about French toast, they mean what is known here as 'poor knights'. There's some funky etymology there, from what I gather it got the 'knight' name in languages to where it spread from medieval Germany and I'm guessing English got it from the French (duh).

I wonder why some things are pretty self-explanotory in their etymology and others are not. Is it just that some named ideas with singular origin spread so fast that they get the same names or country monikers (like some STDs that were named [insert country name here] -disease depending on from where it spread) and older and slower ideas go wild in their naming?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

My guess is "it could be any number of things, pickled in red vinegar"

Or "the paint colors as seen aren't identical to how they started because the different pigments used faded at different rates." Or part of a floral/other design that was painted onto the plate itself.

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well since the oldest known use of the word pizza is from a Latin chronicle written in the town of Gaeta (less than 100 miles from Pompeii) in 997 AD it's safe to assume there was some sort of continuity between whatever was described as a pizza then and whatever was being made in Pompeii a few centuries earlier.

Seriously what's so hard about believing people in the vicinity of Vesuvius ate a dish composed of a round flatbread with toppings for two thousand or so years before it suddenly became popular?

Ooooh I spent a lot of time in Gaeta. They are very proud of that pizza nonsense because what you should be really eating is the tiella. Very popular street food since it’s fine at room temperature. Basically a hot pocket.