Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

samcarsten posted:

I play solo, so i just reloaded a backup.

Spoilsport

Back in the days of Tekkit when I built my first ever IC2 nuke I backed my base up then blew it up just to see what happened. It kicked rear end. Then I reloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arrath posted:

Spoilsport

Back in the days of Tekkit when I built my first ever IC2 nuke I backed my base up then blew it up just to see what happened. It kicked rear end. Then I reloaded.

Bodily fluids motherfucker

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Half paying attention to the thread and thinking "oh yeah, didn't Minecraft have a Save + Load feature?" and taking a second to remember that was like, 12 years ago.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GTNH run: Hit LV.

A little before that shot, I doubled my BBFs. Seemed like the right thing to do.

I'll probably add two more eventually. These will keep burning until about mid-HV when the EBF 4 iron + 1 carbon recipe comes online. If you use coal coke to fuel them, and compress all the fuel into blocks, then you can match coke ovens to BBFs 1:1 and keep them burning at an extremely low cost. Never use anything but coal coke to fuel a BBF, no matter how much your brain tells you "but chaaaaarcoooooaaaaaal is ReNeWaBlE." Using any fuel but coal coke is a +50% time penalty to every steel ingot you cook. Suck it up and dig a hole.

Of course, my single coal boiler that I'd been using intermittently in Steam age wasn't going to cut it. So, I took some of the silver I'd been hoarding since stone age and put it into some solar boilers.

This will produce enough steam for about 27 EU/t of LV power, which isn't quite enough for the full 32 EU/t, but close enough considering I have a decent steam tank in between. I'll have to decalcify these every once in a while.

With every new tier comes some hard decisions. How do you lay out your base? As a veteran player, I give these decisions considerable deliberation. I harness all my experience, both in early game and late game, and I

Just kidding I tack that poo poo right onto the side of the old setup like a tumor. I probably won't build more than one LV steam turbine this entire playthrough.

In terms of LV machines, I like to do Bending Machine first, then Wiremill, then Assembler. This is all in the aim of reducing material costs. Dropping plate costs from 3:2 to 1:1 is a huge bump in efficiency, and the wiremill is an even bigger discount (for a smaller portion of total costs.) The assembler unlocks cheaper recipes for a huge amount of things, plus a bunch of utility.

Next steps will be to open up the Twilight Forest, as well as continue to build my LV machine stack. Steel is going to be a continual problem, so my next machine will probably be the mixer to make BBFs cheaper. I would like to get oil going, but oil is such a huge steel spend that it'll probably have to wait until the end of LV as usual. For now, the steam setup will work.

---

Tip corner! Biggest tip in this tier and the next is to USE YOUR COINS. The coin shop in the quest book can save you a ton of time and resources.

Tin cable, red alloy cable, and wrought iron are all fantastic spends. I don't expect to make a single one of these from raw materials until MV, though I'll have to be a spendthrift with the wrought iron. The ore wand sample ore quest is also good if you find yourself unable to find certain resources. Sticky resin is an excellent deal as well, but slime saplings are more than you'll ever need for rubber so I only buy resin once for my first water tank. The quest book will, in particular, shower you with massive amounts of gear coins, so put them to use.

One more tip: Use that ore finder wand. It's incredibly good at prospecting. Keep a chest full of samples for the wand to use. You can acquire samples from mining actual veins, from small ores you blunder across, and strategic use of the ore wand sample coin quest. Note that it has a limited vertical range, so if you're in the Nether especially, keep the y-level range of the vein in mind.

My sample chest so far. I should be equipped to find everything I need in all pre-rocket dimensions with this, with the sole exception of a Manganese vein (which I'll probably have to acquire with the coin quest. Can't win 'em all.)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
It's me the guy who swapped to compressed charcoal because its renewable and just dealt with the 4 hours per stack time frame. I still actually use my 2 bbfs from time to time.

I think I'm going to push to go to Mars because Im tired of dicking around with ev power and want to centralize my power with an LSC. What's the "bauxite vein" of Mars? Basically which ones do I want a lot of before I head back to earth.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 28, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

I think I'm going to push to go to Mars because Im tired of dicking around with ev power and want to centralize my power with an LSC. What's the "bauxite vein" of Mars? Basically which ones do I want a lot of before I head back to earth.

You're looking for tungsten-bearing ores.

On Mars, look to tap a Desh vein. You need Desh for the next tier of rocket, and one miner here will give you almost enough for the entire game. You will get tungstate and scheelite here as a bonus. There's a dedicated Tungstate vein with more tungsten-bearing ores in general, but might as well do double duty with the Desh. You'll also pull some Oriharukon from small ore here; this is an excellent tool metal. While the miner is mining, go knock out the Mars boss. Also, bring half a stack of universal cells and go find a Bacterial Sludge cavern.

They spawn around the same level as the boss room, so sometimes this can happen. Abuse non-fairplay journeymap to find them. Collect some of the Bacterial Sludge from these caves. Once you've done all that and the Desh vein is mined, you never need to come back to Mars unless you want to pump saltwater or chlorobenzene. Small desh ores on other planets will more than supply you for the rest of the game.

Head home and use the Bacterial Sludge to make the SPECTRE KEY. This thing is awesome. It lets you teleport from anywhere to a 1 chunk room in a separate dimension, then back to where you left. You can use this as a panic room and a place to refill your oxygen tanks and process seismic prospector data while in the field.

Go home and make your Ore Drilling Plant with the tungsten you acquired. After that, head to Phobos. Mine a Uranium vein (note: not Pitchblende; Uranium veins have 238 ore so they're better.) Use the uraninite from this vein to sift for radon and the 238 for nukes if you want. Tungstate veins are here, too. Last, but most certainly least, there are Draconium veins on Phobos. These veins contain Vinteum, which is a mineable form of Thaumium.

There is no reason to go to Deimos, ever.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

With every new tier comes some hard decisions. How do you lay out your base? As a veteran player, I give these decisions considerable deliberation. I harness all my experience, both in early game and late game, and I

Just kidding I tack that poo poo right onto the side of the old setup like a tumor. I probably won't build more than one LV steam turbine this entire playthrough.

This is the way. Nice setups are for later. You pop a machine down and after using the same setup for hours and hours you just develop the muscle memory of which machine is which.

I'm on the fence of whether wiremill is better as a first LV machine or if Bending Machine is better. 1:1 plates is great and helps the wire efficiency, but if you do them back to back, you're only really losing 5 or 6 steel by doing wiremill first and you save a huge amount of tin, copper, and red alloy so it depends on whether you want to conserve steel and pay for it with more copper/tin mining.

Assembler third is kind of crazy give how expensive it is but smart if you're doing a beeline for Twilight Forest to get piles of silver and make HP Solar boilers (which are 3x better than normal ones). I usually go chemical reactor + fluid solidifier so I can make super cheap rubber, maybe a lathe (smelt steel dust in the smeltery to reform it so you don't use EBF time).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Assembler third is kind of crazy give how expensive it is but smart if you're doing a beeline for Twilight Forest to get piles of silver and make HP Solar boilers (which are 3x better than normal ones). I usually go chemical reactor + fluid solidifier so I can make super cheap rubber, maybe a lathe (smelt steel dust in the smeltery to reform it so you don't use EBF time).

Assembler is indeed a bit of a spend, but I prefer it to other options. I am not really looking for a fast Twilight Forest; I came into LV with nearly two stacks of silver from incidental mining and looting. I am not even sure I'll make more than 3 HP solars.

The primary cost of an assembler is the 4 circuits you need for it, the plates (bending machine already made,) and steel rods. (gently caress the LV lathe; way too slow. I will file entire ingots down until MV.) Since the assembler gatekeeps nearly all the improved material efficiency for making circuits, it seems like the natural choice. Plus, the assembler provides the voiding drop filter and golden lasso, which I value highly.

Chemical reactor is an okay choice, but the primary rubber spend is on tin and red alloy cables. I just buy those from the coin shop. The increased material efficiency on rubber is almost pointless when the only thing you use it on in LV is sheets for conveyors and rubber rings for pumps. Polyethylene exists, sure, but it's not really useful enough to warrant making it in LV. I make a centrifuge instead so I can start banking refined glue. Not only can glue be used for most things polyethylene is used for, but you need glue in particular for circuit boards and resistors.

I made a mixer next and doubled my BBF count from 2 to 4. Half-price concrete is nice. Fifth machine was fluid extractor and sixth was centrifuge.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Are ME interfaces just broken? They say to use them because they are instant but the stuff I tell the ME interface to push has to have a conveyor attached to the block its against to pull it out of the ME interface. Then that means I can't do import/export on the same side and have to use another one to pull the items out of the single block machine or an import bus.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Are ME interfaces just broken? They say to use them because they are instant but the stuff I tell the ME interface to push has to have a conveyor attached to the block its against to pull it out of the ME interface. Then that means I can't do import/export on the same side and have to use another one to pull the items out of the single block machine or an import bus.

ME Interfaces only push when they are performing on-demand crafting. The row of 9 item slots to configure along the top is for passive stocking, and will require external assistance like a conveyor. This is usually better throughput than an export bus with a high tier conveyor. In terms of sending stuff back to the network, you could just use an item pipe to send items back to the interface.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

ME Interfaces only push when they are performing on-demand crafting. The row of 9 item slots to configure along the top is for passive stocking, and will require external assistance like a conveyor. This is usually better throughput than an export bus with a high tier conveyor. In terms of sending stuff back to the network, you could just use an item pipe to send items back to the interface.

Would you happen to know if there's anything weird with fluid interfaces? I've stopped using them entirely for receiving fluids because for whatever reason, any fluids I put into it are just... Gone. Like, I can physically monitor the fluid interface and watch the fluid go into it and drain into the AE2 system, but after that it doesn't even appear in my fluid terminal at any point, and I never see it again. I've lost tons of fluids this way, and strangely enough it seemingly only happens to certain fluids. I've checked up and down for any errant fluid trash cans, but I can't find any.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does an ender io item conduit work as well?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Umbreon posted:

Would you happen to know if there's anything weird with fluid interfaces? I've stopped using them entirely for receiving fluids because for whatever reason, any fluids I put into it are just... Gone. Like, I can physically monitor the fluid interface and watch the fluid go into it and drain into the AE2 system, but after that it doesn't even appear in my fluid terminal at any point, and I never see it again. I've lost tons of fluids this way, and strangely enough it seemingly only happens to certain fluids. I've checked up and down for any errant fluid trash cans, but I can't find any.

Dual interfaces? If so, check their internal fluid storage. At the top left there should be an icon to switch to the dual interface's fluids GUI. It may be that the fluids are banking inside its six internal tanks. If this is the case, then the fluids don't have anywhere to go. You may be lacking a fluid disk to catch the fluids. Also, do you have a discretizer on your network? Any AE2 network needs one and exactly one discretizer anywhere on the network if it wants to deal with fluids. It is just a magic upgrade block and doesn't actually receive fluids.

Holyshoot posted:

Does an ender io item conduit work as well?

Yeah, any item moving mechanism.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Dual interfaces? If so, check their internal fluid storage. At the top left there should be an icon to switch to the dual interface's fluids GUI. It may be that the fluids are banking inside its six internal tanks. If this is the case, then the fluids don't have anywhere to go. You may be lacking a fluid disk to catch the fluids. Also, do you have a discretizer on your network? Any AE2 network needs one and exactly one discretizer anywhere on the network if it wants to deal with fluids. It is just a magic upgrade block and doesn't actually receive fluids.

Yeah, any item moving mechanism.
I'm playing nomifactory, looks like it doesn't even have those features you mentioned lol. I have several storage cells completely empty so it should have enough room for the fluids.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Umbreon posted:

I'm playing nomifactory, looks like it doesn't even have those features you mentioned lol. I have several storage cells completely empty so it should have enough room for the fluids.

Oh, heh, then ignore what I said.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anyone ever messed with that giant tank that stores a bunch of different fluids all at once? I forget the name but was thinking about looking into that. Got quite a few super tank 1/2 and lesser tanks that it's starting to pile up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Anyone ever messed with that giant tank that stores a bunch of different fluids all at once? I forget the name but was thinking about looking into that. Got quite a few super tank 1/2 and lesser tanks that it's starting to pile up.

The T.F.F.T? Apparently it's meta end-game, but kinda underwhelming otherwise. It costs power to keep online and the field blocks are kinda expensive for the storage that it gives you. You could do worse, I guess.

Also, because NEI is using a bastardized regex format, the way to search for it is to type T?F?F?T .

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tripled down on Thaumcraft and Infusions and made myself a Skullfire Sword so I can get easy nether stars. Between the candle and head spam you see here, there's also a huge cluster of heads under the altar. My stability was up to 18 here to counteract the skullfire sword's instability of 15. Everything worked out fine, except for the cloud of bats that my warp spawned. Thankfully they didn't affect the process.

I logged on today and within seconds of joining I had my first Eldritch epiphany. Some litmus paper I used right after showed I wasn't at 30 permanent yet though, nor was I at a combination of 30 permanent, normal and temporary, so I'm not sure what caused it. I won't really complain though; void metal is now open for business, as is the whole right side of the adept thaumaturgy tab.

I think I'll go kill some skeletons now and get me some skulls for fighting the wither. I need 18 nether stars for the Dire Crafting Table alone, and I know I'll need more later.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

Tripled down on Thaumcraft and Infusions and made myself a Skullfire Sword so I can get easy nether stars. Between the candle and head spam you see here, there's also a huge cluster of heads under the altar. My stability was up to 18 here to counteract the skullfire sword's instability of 15. Everything worked out fine, except for the cloud of bats that my warp spawned. Thankfully they didn't affect the process.

I logged on today and within seconds of joining I had my first Eldritch epiphany. Some litmus paper I used right after showed I wasn't at 30 permanent yet though, nor was I at a combination of 30 permanent, normal and temporary, so I'm not sure what caused it. I won't really complain though; void metal is now open for business, as is the whole right side of the adept thaumaturgy tab.

I think I'll go kill some skeletons now and get me some skulls for fighting the wither. I need 18 nether stars for the Dire Crafting Table alone, and I know I'll need more later.

Looking good but you need to change out that stone for some real blocks :colbert: . Why does the skullfire sword mean easy nether stars? Just a good sword to kill the wither with? I think I'm going to go the route of mob farming him assuming I can capture him in a soul bottle and make a spawner out of him.

I started the trek towards my tier 2 rocket and holy moly making LuV tier circuits from EV is intense. Doing 10 (8 for the rocket and 2 for the LSC) and its 80 HV nano processors (HV) , 40 nanoprocessor assemblies (EV) and 20 elite nano computers (IV) circuits to make the 10. I thankfully have all the mats and it's just a matter of turning the base mats into the stuff I need. Gallium for the SMD transistors was my only possible hold up but I thankfully had 5 ingots which is all I needed. Otherwise I'd have to make a poo poo load of basic ones and I don't have a lot of silicon solar grade (poly si) on hand. I'm almost half way through centrifuging the 30k metal mixture I collected by breaking down some of the stone my rock breaker made. Still have a poo poo load of stone and stone dust though if I want to go back to that process.

Edit: Is boat load of wood tar a dumb creation from the 50k+ charcoal I've gotten turning my spruce wood into wood vinegar that I've been distilling for acetone (so i can skip crafting it for stuff)? Can't think anything else good to use the charcoal for as I got plenty of compressed already.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 30, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Why does the skullfire sword mean easy nether stars? Just a good sword to kill the wither with? I think I'm going to go the route of mob farming him assuming I can capture him in a soul bottle and make a spawner out of him.

Skullfire swords cause regular overworld skeletons to drop 3 guaranteed wither skeleton skulls on kill. A leveled TiCon cleaver on wither skeletons also works almost as well, and is much easier to get. Still, I prefer the skullfire sword because after you make it, it leaves behind a basic Thaumcraft machine kit that you can use for stuff like duping salis mundus, plus the Thaumic Restorer. The cleaver just leaves behind a lovely sword.

Holyshoot posted:

Edit: Is boat load of wood tar a dumb creation from the 50k+ charcoal I've gotten turning my spruce wood into wood vinegar that I've been distilling for acetone (so i can skip crafting it for stuff)? Can't think anything else good to use the charcoal for as I got plenty of compressed already.

That's what most people use charcoal for -- wood tar. Usually for benzene for power, but wood tar distills into lots of good stuff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Skullfire swords cause regular overworld skeletons to drop 3 guaranteed wither skeleton skulls on kill. A leveled TiCon cleaver on wither skeletons also works almost as well, and is much easier to get. Still, I prefer the skullfire sword because after you make it, it leaves behind a basic Thaumcraft machine kit that you can use for stuff like duping salis mundus, plus the Thaumic Restorer. The cleaver just leaves behind a lovely sword.

That's what most people use charcoal for -- wood tar. Usually for benzene for power, but wood tar distills into lots of good stuff.

Ya that's what I figured. So I'll do that. Also what's that thing off to the right in fpzeros thaumcraft room? Is that the step up from dropping stuff into a cauldron?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

Ya that's what I figured. So I'll do that. Also what's that thing off to the right in fpzeros thaumcraft room? Is that the step up from dropping stuff into a cauldron?

Yeah, it's the Thaumotorium. It works off the same essentia goop as the infusion thing does, though you have to use pipes to get the goop in it. Makes it so you can do cauldron recipes in large batches and without waste.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm on my second save about a thousand hours in having just finally stuck with it long enough to get to AE, which of course meant a massive detour to get all the autocrafting rolling at once. Network is currently sitting at 1.3k EU/t passive usage and rapidly climbing.

Tungstate line has been its own fun and not insignificant side project. Haven't even started platline, I just threw a huge pile of PMP into my ebfs to do some plat the super lovely way so I can do TPV coils tomorrow.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Umbreon posted:

Fluid storage bus or fluid interfaces?

For what it is worth, I did not use either. I had plenty of item storage buses and interfaces. Fluids were just perpetually exported.

I can't remember ever being told to avoid them, but there was a lot of talk of how the pack originally intended to use Refined Storage (??? the AE2 alternative that is more like the legacy version). Apparently fluid crafting there works and makes sense, but there was a fatal issue that compelled the pack to be released with AE2 instead.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fluid storage bus or fluid interfaces?

For what it is worth, I did not use either. I had plenty of item storage buses and interfaces. Fluids were just perpetually exported.

I can't remember ever being told to avoid them, but there was a lot of talk of how the pack originally intended to use Refined Storage (??? the AE2 alternative that is more like the legacy version). Apparently fluid crafting there works and makes sense, but there was a fatal issue that compelled the pack to be released with AE2 instead.

Interfaces. I tore down everything, rebuilt it, and limited the interface to one side each for extracting and inputting. That seems to have fixed it, but several thousand buckets of phosphoric acid and chlorine are seemingly gone for good. They went into the fluid interface and never appeared anywhere. Ah, well.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
A general note for Thaumcraft: if you've got the materials to make Mana Pylons they work really well for Infusion stabilisation. Something like 2 stacks will stabilise even the most dangerous infusions from Thaumic Tinkerer.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH update: not a whole lot to talk about in terms of progress. Still in LV but nearing the end. Opened the Twilight Forest. Did a lot of mining to buy time for my four BBFs to make steel. Got up to about nine stacks before I started building the infrastructure for oil.

Most of this will get eaten up by oil stuff. Oh well.

So, we'll do a longer tip corner instead. Today's topic is Nether Tips At Low Tiers.

The Nether is dangerous in GTNH. Even with Infernal and Special Mobs mods disabled, there are still angry dogs, nitro creepers, explodey bats, and the pigmen get pissed off any time you mine anything near them. What's a miner to do? The answer is simple: fly.

But, you might be thinking, prior to MV there are no reliable flight options other than the hell grind of the chicken trophy (makes a creative flight potion.) This is true, but we can fake it by using a combination of three things. The hang glider, Tinker's Construct longsword, and piston boots.
The hang glider is simple. Arrests fall damage and lets you glide over long distances. It's craftable as soon as you get steel, and is not a bad thing to spend looted steel on.
Piston boots are post-nether as they require rubber (= sulfur), but they're still an excellent craft. They grant step assist and let you jump over 3 block tall walls.
The TiCon longsword is an interesting tool. When you hold right click and charge it, upon release you lunge forward. This is ostensibly to allow you to leap into combat quickly to close the distance on a skeleton. What's more interesting is what happens when you jump with it. The velocity is added to the velocity of your jump, allowing you to jump higher. Aim upwards to get even more height.

So, what happens if we combine these three together? This:

https://i.imgur.com/CqdcuXJ.mp4

This can be used in the Nether to negotiate most obstacles without the need for real flight.

Even with enhanced mobility, it can still be a pain to prospect in the nether. The ore wand has limited vertical range, and several of the good ore types in the Nether exist close to the Nether's bedrock ceiling, requiring you to tunnel through endless netherrack and deal with all the surprises that can cause.

The solution? Simply break bedrock.

smuggling a horse in with a golden lasso optional but highly recommended

This trick requires a canopy sapling from the Twilight Forest, some dirt to plant in on, and optionally some bonemeal to speed it up. Because the Twilight Forest is a very well crafted mod that definitely has no janky mechanics whatsoever, the canopy sapling will delete any blocks in the way of its growth. Just plant a sapling directly under the bedrock, force it to grow, then lumber axe it down. Clamber up through the hole you made, plop down a horse, then ride around in complete safety waiting for your ore wand to go off. No monsters will spawn on the top of the nether's bedrock ceiling, and the ore wand has no problem detecting stuff through it.

With these tips, you can make trips to the nether fairly painless, even before the copter pack unlocks in MV.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol why are there mushrooms above the bedrock

i think the ceiling-breaking tip is referenced obliquely in a quest but i never twigged it was for the nether

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alright, y'all keep posting about it and it keeps tempting me, so... how playable is GTNH on peaceful, and are there any "you have to set up 17 different passive processes and the end result takes approximately 2.73 years to craft" bottlenecks like Lumium and Signalum in Nomi?

I don't mind a tedious beginning game but especially near the end of EV/early part of IV, Nomi felt like it was going back to that sort of beginning-of-pack tedium and I just wasn't here for it (several times).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

Alright, y'all keep posting about it and it keeps tempting me, so... how playable is GTNH on peaceful, and are there any "you have to set up 17 different passive processes and the end result takes approximately 2.73 years to craft" bottlenecks like Lumium and Signalum in Nomi?

I don't mind a tedious beginning game but especially near the end of EV/early part of IV, Nomi felt like it was going back to that sort of beginning-of-pack tedium and I just wasn't here for it (several times).

Some mob drops, like ender pearls, blaze rods, and nether stars are required. Also, progress through Galacticraft planets requires killing boss monsters. That being said, you become functionally invincible by HV. Tinker's Construct crossbows in 1.7.10 are godlike and one-shot basically everything. Nano armor renders you impervious to most damage. You could stay peaceful until you get those online, then wander around with a one-shot crossbow murdering everything. Also, disable Infernal Mobs and Special Mobs; these have absolutely no gameplay ramifications other than losing out on a cheesy infinite ender pearl trick with an enderman with the regeneration modifier being endlessly melted in a TiCon smeltery.

In terms of passive processes... yeah, there are some. I've never played Nomifactory, but from what I understand, it's not nearly as severe in GTNH until about IV, when the Platinum line becomes required for progress. None of them are "wait 2.73 years to proceed" until essentially the endgame. (EV/IV, for instance, is what most players consider the end of the early game.) The main sticking point of GTNH is that AE2 doesn't come online until EV. If you can't live without AE2 before then, definitely don't play. You will have to batch craft for six tiers.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth, what is that very tall structure you've built at your base visible at the end of your flight gif? Mob farm?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Gwyneth, what is that very tall structure you've built at your base visible at the end of your flight gif? Mob farm?

Not sure what you meant, but here.

The rainforest oak saplings are craftable and very cheap. You only need one. Cutting them down without a lumber axe is a project, though, and I may or may not have been stuck up one during a blood moon in this run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had no idea that was a tree. It's so tall! But yeah that's what I was referring to.

I don't know what I did, but blood moons for me don't spawn enemies in lit areas. Instead I just get a red filter those nights. Maybe it's because I removed hardcore darkness? No clue, but I suppose I won't complain.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

I had no idea that was a tree. It's so tall! But yeah that's what I was referring to.

I don't know what I did, but blood moons for me don't spawn enemies in lit areas. Instead I just get a red filter those nights. Maybe it's because I removed hardcore darkness? No clue, but I suppose I won't complain.

Hardcore darkness has nothing to do with it. Blood moons increase the natural spawn rate and make aggro radiuses larger, but they don't fundamentally change where mobs spawn. If you're lit up and indoors, you're perfectly safe.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ah then I'm thinking of the one time I played Project Ozone 3 and the blood moon in that pack made it so that all spawning rules were disabled and you would have mobs spawn next to you no matter what the light level was. There was no escape other than digging a 1x2 hole, and even that wasn't foolproof.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, disable Infernal Mobs and Special Mobs; these have absolutely no gameplay ramifications other than losing out on a cheesy infinite ender pearl trick with an enderman with the regeneration modifier being endlessly melted in a TiCon smeltery.

Yeah, I planned on turning those, hardcore darkness, and pollution off.

Eh, gently caress it, what's the worst that happen, I drop it like the last few packs I tried? :shrug:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
When people say they did the platline or other lines do they mean they setup an automated process from step 1 through whatever? Or they just went through all the quests and got the end result but the method isn't relevant? Is it safe to assume also that at my current progress my lack of gallium is sort of solved if I would do the bauxite slurry process for titanium?

Also I love LCRs and having a lot of fluids sitting around. Let's me be able to batch craft 256k epoxy and then turn that into 192 epoxy boards like it's nothing. Took a few mins unlike the first time around that took much longer.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 30, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

pollution off

poo poo, I forgot all about that. I turn that off so automatically that I don't even think to mention it. Yes, turn pollution off. It's extremely stupid. For those who don't know how, go to your config: config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg and find the pollution enabled option.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Would also recommend turning off machine explosions and also turn off mob griefing (for when you decide to run a mob farm or grind out some monster killing and don't end up with an enderman picking up a machine that stops the whole system.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

When people say they did the platline or other lines do they mean they setup an automated process from step 1 through whatever? Or they just went through all the quests and got the end result but the method isn't relevant?

Mostly the former in the case of platline. Platline is a pretty important processing line. It makes the six platinum group metals, and you need all of them going forward. Since the base input (platinum metallic powder) has no other use, it's best to build a factory to process every single scrap you get as soon as possible.

Here's a platline I built in a previous map:

This was a large enough build for me to create a dedicated AE2 sub-network specifically for handling fluid and item logistics between parts of this. You can see part of where it interfaces with the main network in the lower left. Those are fluid p2ps patching into the subnet.