Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

DLSS (and FSR and XeSS) don't seem that hard to implement. A studio of Bethesda's size has no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neither does Ubisoft.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Why pay a dev team when this guy will do it for free other people's money?

https://www.patreon.com/PureDark

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yudo posted:

DLSS (and FSR and XeSS) don't seem that hard to implement. A studio of Bethesda's size has no excuse.

they're all just different takes on TAAU so the integration requirements mostly overlap, once you have one you're most of the way to having the rest

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

better get fsr 3 out the door by then

womp womp

AMD posted:

In addition, gamers will be able to take advantage of advanced AMD features and technologies that deliver a truly immersive gaming experience, including the advanced cross-platform AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2 upscaling technology.

i'm sure starfield is high on the shortlist to get FSR3 patched in once it launches, but who knows when that will be

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-to-introduce-ada-lovelace-successor-in-2025

No Ada Lovelace successor until 2025, supposedly. Not sure how much stock to put into a leak from HardwareLuxx. If we can take the exact position in the chart at face value, then Ada Next would be releasing in the first half of 2025. I've been saying there's room for an Ada refresh before the next new architecture, whether it's a super series or a 2.0 situation... Plenty of untapped potential on the upper end and room to reconfigure the product stack. Or maybe they just won't do anything and we can expect the current cards to be the entirety of the lineup for the next two years, but that seems unlikely to me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The speculation I’ve read is that Ada has been in volume production since early 2022 and they may have a substantial amount of Ada inventory built up as a result. That “inventory” number isn’t all ampere.

They’re not gonna chop production down to zero especially with Quadro selling well, but, stuff that’s pre-sold and sitting in partner warehouses with gaming vram kits isn’t going to be Quadro either. It’s possible they end up ramping down gaming production a lot and stretching the generation another 6 months to burn off the Ada inventory.

It’s also possible 3nm is just behind schedule, although I wouldn’t take it for granted that gaming moves to 3nm either.

Wouldn’t assume either of these but they’re plausible/unsurprising outcomes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it makes business sense, as long as they're serving the ai yahoos in enterprise whatever they want

the expectations for ada are so low that they can probably give us some super/whatever refresh with better vram and memory bandwidth and call it a day, at least below 4090

i wonder what an upgrade above 4090 would look like, though, especially since the form factor would change into something absurd if they up the juice

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

i wonder what an upgrade above 4090 would look like, though, especially since the form factor would change into something absurd if they up the juice

:hmmyes:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
surely they'd only release an actual consumer gpu like that to gently caress with the sff community, which i can only respect

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

kliras posted:

surely they'd only release an actual consumer gpu like that to gently caress with the sff community, which i can only respect

I respect it, those of us who bought real cases instead of toys will appreciate the stability

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Shipon posted:

I respect it, those of us who bought real cases instead of toys will appreciate the stability

:jerkbag:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

kliras posted:

The sff community gets off on shoving things like that in 10 liter cases. A sandwich casemaker somewhere just got a boner and they don't even know why.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Odd, no issues here with that on a 4070ti, sure it uses all the VRAM but a huge number of games will just reserve it all cause they can.
Same, D4 running 1440p ultra was fine in a 4070 Ti during beta and is fine on my 4070 now.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yudo posted:

I'm wondering if it is because parts of their engine date back to like 1998.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
8 liter master race reporting in - is it likely that I’ll be able to find an Nvidia card 8” long or shorter that’d be faster than the Sapphire RX 6600 currently installed with my 5700GE?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Same, D4 running 1440p ultra was fine in a 4070 Ti during beta and is fine on my 4070 now.

I run Diablo 4 at full Ultra, nvidia reflex and boost both at 4K 120 and 1440p 240hz

It’s buttery smooth and at max fps on both with a 9600k cpu.

If Diablo 4 is running badly on a 3080 or better, you have something set up wrong.

For me, I had a problem one day where the power slider on EVGA software for some reason went all the way down to 25%.

Once I turned that back up to 100% poo poo ran great again.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm wondering if it is because parts of their engine date back to like 1998.

Unlikely, since people are just slapping it in post-market.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also they literally said it has FSR2 so the groundwork for any other TAAU implementation is already in there

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Hasturtium posted:

8 liter master race reporting in - is it likely that I’ll be able to find an Nvidia card 8” long or shorter that’d be faster than the Sapphire RX 6600 currently installed with my 5700GE?
the 4070 duals are probaby the smallest out there, but they seem to be around 10.5" for asus and palit. pny is 10", but it's pny

i'd probably try to find some gpu database and sort by length and take it from there, maybe /r/sffpc has a google doc or something

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 27, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

There are apparently 4060 Ti cards with just a single fan that may fit, but I don't think any of them have left Asia.

edit: Actually the Ventus 2X should fit.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

For 4060ti, Palit StormX (170mm) and Msi Ventus 2X (200mm). I don't think there's a 4070 under 225m

edit: Techpowerup lists the length of the various boars in their GPU database

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gyrotica posted:

Why pay a dev team when this guy will do it for free other people's money?

https://www.patreon.com/PureDark

That's kind of clever to do frame generation on Fallout 4, since fake frames won't gently caress up the game's physics engine like real frames over 60fps do.

Is there a way to force frame generation in CEMU? The Zelda games similarly bug out over 60fps, and I can't quite hit the 4K 120hz of my display with brute force anyways, due to emulation overhead.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no chance, DLSS FG requires deep hooks into the engine, it's not the kind of thing you can just force externally in a generic manner

puredarks work is highly engine specific and AFAIK they are only tackling games which already have motion vectors, which zelda doesn't

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there also tend to be a bunch of additional caveats with these plugins like having to manually tweak lod bias or ui/text not being upscaled correctly

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

generic frame generation does kind of already exist, it's the motion smoothing setting on your TV, but the results are not great to say the least

in principle it would be possible to do something akin to TV motion smoothing on PC but i don't think there's a ton of demand for that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I tried motion flow in a 30 fps game recently for the heck of it, and it really was quite bad. Ignoring the extra latency, it just looked like it was constantly switching between 60 and 30. Old tv, though, so maybe the tech has improved since.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if your game source was outputting 30fps in a 60hz container then that might have been confusing the TVs algorithm if it's not smart enough to recognize that the source is frame doubled

still, even when working as intended the results probably wouldn't be great

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 27, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I didn’t consider that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

spunkshui posted:

If Diablo 4 is running badly on a 3080 or better, you have something set up wrong.

Agreed, I can run it on high/ultra at 4K without issue on my 10GB 3080

change my name fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 28, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

in principle it would be possible to do something akin to TV motion smoothing on PC

don't give the FSR 3 team any ideas

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DLSS 3 already did

now everyone gets the badly configured TV experience :unsmigghh:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

generic frame generation does kind of already exist, it's the motion smoothing setting on your TV, but the results are not great to say the least

in principle it would be possible to do something akin to TV motion smoothing on PC but i don't think there's a ton of demand for that

VR headsets already do this. It looks loving awful, the only reason it's remotely tolerable in VR is because it would make you vomit with lower framerates instead

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hasn't VR reprojection gone through a few iterations? i think the early versions were just based on optical flow similar to TV smoothing, but the newer versions can factor in extra pixel metadata (depth and motion vectors) similar to DLSS FG for better results, though that requires explicit cooperation from the game engine

feels like we're seeing VR R&D filter backwards into non-VR games now, i suspect nvidia reflex is derived from work they did to optimize VR latency, and frame generation obviously has a lot in common with VR reprojection

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 28, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-expected-to-charge-25000usd-per-2nm-wafer

$25,000 per 2nm wafer. I know the technology for these nodes doesn't come cheap, but TSMC is clearly taking advantage of their uncontested lead here. Honestly, I can see Nvidia going with Samsung again for Ada-Next if they offer Nvidia another killer deal like they did with 8nm. It might even allow Nvidia to advance a node without another price hike. (as long as samsung 3nm/2nm aren't too cursed)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Plenty of untapped potential on the upper end and room to reconfigure the product stack. Or maybe they just won't do anything and we can expect the current cards to be the entirety of the lineup for the next two years, but that seems unlikely to me.

So many weird decisions, like a 4060Ti with 16GB VRAM but the 4070 and 4070Ti are only 12GB.

A 16GB 4070Ti that didn't cost $800+ would be ideal for me but that would only make the 4080 look even worse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rinkles posted:

I tried motion flow in a 30 fps game recently for the heck of it, and it really was quite bad. Ignoring the extra latency, it just looked like it was constantly switching between 60 and 30. Old tv, though, so maybe the tech has improved since.

I have a fairly new lg tv and I honestly thought it was a huge improvement to use the frame interpolation when playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch, the smooth 60fps looks great.

>>Looks<< great. Adds too much latency to be really worthwhile unless you're just traversing terrain.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

if your game source was outputting 30fps in a 60hz container then that might have been confusing the TVs algorithm if it's not smart enough to recognize that the source is frame doubled

still, even when working as intended the results probably wouldn't be great

I wanted to test it by forcing a 30Hz output but not on an option on this tv

HalloKitty posted:

I have a fairly new lg tv and I honestly thought it was a huge improvement to use the frame interpolation when playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch, the smooth 60fps looks great.

>>Looks<< great. Adds too much latency to be really worthwhile unless you're just traversing terrain.

I guess repiv was right then because it was unpleasantly juddery on my end

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-expected-to-charge-25000usd-per-2nm-wafer

$25,000 per 2nm wafer. I know the technology for these nodes doesn't come cheap, but TSMC is clearly taking advantage of their uncontested lead here. Honestly, I can see Nvidia going with Samsung again for Ada-Next if they offer Nvidia another killer deal like they did with 8nm. It might even allow Nvidia to advance a node without another price hike. (as long as samsung 3nm/2nm aren't too cursed)

Samsung say their 2nm node will be out by 2025, and Intel 18A will already be on the market, so we'll see if TSMC really are uncontested at that point.

As for the price, charging a third more over 3nm when (iirc) the expect performance and/or efficiency gains are less than that is not going to be enticing to the market. If using bigger or multiple 3nm chiplets is more affordable than going to 2nm, TSMC will have to be more realistic with their pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

4060 reviews are live. Seems about equal to the 7600 until you get to ray tracing as usual, but its ray tracing performance still isn't good enough to be a factor still needing heavy upscaling use to get to 60fps. I liked GN's conclusion of "Prices are falling, and they're going to fall more".

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 28, 2023