Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

:goofy:

Also I think Phlox is now my favorite doctor

E: surpassing Pulaski

Pulaski was an idea that didn't really work out because she was constantly mean to an autistic person who didn't understand why he was picked on and they really didn't socialize at all because Picard didn't have the same crew dynamics that Kirk had.

McCoy and Spock threw burns to each other that could cause 3rd degree scars, but they respected each other and were both friends with Kirk giving the idea that outside camera the three were drinking buddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Pulaski was an idea that didn't really work out because she was constantly mean to an autistic person who didn't understand why he was picked on and they really didn't socialize at all because Picard didn't have the same crew dynamics that Kirk had.

McCoy and Spock threw burns to each other that could cause 3rd degree scars, but they respected each other and were both friends with Kirk giving the idea that outside camera the three were drinking buddies.

Ironically, the closest they got to the Spock/McCoy thing was a couple of times with Riker. Him vs Shelby, Ro and Jellico had a tinge of that, with greater and lesser degrees of genuine hate vs 'they're about thiiiis close to loving on the bridge'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IMO late season Pulaski worked really well with Data because by that point she at least saw him as another being instead of just a pile of circuitry. I doubt they were purposely planning this far ahead, but if Pulaski had stuck around I think she’d have become a great character to constantly pair with Data.

I like Gates McFadden but Crusher didn’t have much of a personality and from season 3 onward Data really only gets paired with Geordi and occasionally Picard. Pulaski would have given Data subplots a little more variety.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Ironically, the closest they got to the Spock/McCoy thing was a couple of times with Riker. Him vs Shelby, Ro and Jellico had a tinge of that, with greater and lesser degrees of genuine hate vs 'they're about thiiiis close to loving on the bridge'.

A version of TNG where Patrick Stewart said "gently caress this, I'm out" in the summer of 1990 and they just killed off Picard, let Riker keep the big chair full time and promoted Elizabeth Dennehy to main cast status would have been loving amazing. Riker and Shelby had such a crackling "I hate you, but you're right" chemistry with each other. It would have been fun to have gotten four whole seasons and four movies out of that dynamic.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

A version of TNG where Patrick Stewart said "gently caress this, I'm out" in the summer of 1990 and they just killed off Picard, let Riker keep the big chair full time and promoted Elizabeth Dennehy to main cast status would have been loving amazing. Riker and Shelby had such a crackling "I hate you, but you're right" chemistry with each other. It would have been fun to have gotten four whole seasons and four movies out of that dynamic.

Not to mention that PatStew gone, as Riker is basically Frakes but in the future, and all the dissonance between the main character and the actor would have been gone.

I mean, William Shatner is James T. Kirk. Its obvious from Boston Legal, he still is the commander of a space ship, but its just a law firm in Boston.

EDIT: We never got TekWar or that cop show Shatner did, so I have no idea if he played that in any different way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Not to mention that PatStew gone, as Riker is basically Frakes but in the future, and all the dissonance between the main character and the actor would have been gone.

I mean, William Shatner is James T. Kirk. Its obvious from Boston Legal, he still is the commander of a space ship, but its just a law firm in Boston.

EDIT: We never got TekWar or that cop show Shatner did, so I have no idea if he played that in any different way.

William Shatner has range, but his TekWar character is just Kirk as a police commander still, which is basically a continuance of TJ Hooker.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I do realize these are TV shows and you cannot attempt to overlay a strict technology development cycle on them, like it’s a rule/stats book from a Starfleet Battles expansion

And this is shamefully nerdy, but from what I’ve seen of the Romulans in TNG and later, it seemed like they quit using plasma torpedoes? When that was their big superweapon in the 2200s.

The D’Deridex class seems to use disruptors and phasers, and the homing plasma torpedo, which was a great plot element in Balance of Terror, is now a thing of the past.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No one actually seems to miss with anything from TNG on, it's just using evasive maneuvers and shields to absorb the hits and take blows where you won't be crippled or destroyed. Everything "homes," the question is just what's effective - did your torpedo hit something useful, or did it just do nothing. So if disrupters are doing it for the Romulans, no need for plasma torpedoes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

No one actually seems to miss with anything from TNG on, it's just using evasive maneuvers and shields to absorb the hits and take blows where you won't be crippled or destroyed. Everything "homes," the question is just what's effective - did your torpedo hit something useful, or did it just do nothing. So if disrupters are doing it for the Romulans, no need for plasma torpedoes.

This is what I really like about Modern Trek's approach to space battles (Discovery notwithstanding) is that phasers and photon torpedoes seem REALLY inaccurate or blind-fired a lot of the time. The fight between the Enterprise and Crossfield-esque frankenship in the opener to SNW Season 2 was cool because the false flag ship was just making GBS threads bootleg torpedoes at the Enterprise and hitting it like maybe half the time and doing like barely 1/10th of the damage because again, bootleg lovely pirate torpedoes. It really sold the franticness of that chase scene.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Trip is low-key the second best character on the show after T’Pol. He’s got a much better arc than Archer, shows actual growth, and is just naturally more charismatic than Captain GWB. He’s great.

1. T’Pol
2. Trip
3. Phlox
4. Everyone else

I’m not counting recurring characters, otherwise Shran would of course be at the top.

Aside from the general tonal issues with Enterprise, the biggest issue is that Archer is always the star who always has to be right over any of the crew and any of the sci-fi phenomena of the week. TOS was often more focused on the aliens than the main crew, and TNG and DS9 were structured specifically to spread plots around more.

Trip as the guy with the second-most screentime was also unburdened by the need to always be right, so he made mistakes every so often and could grow as a result in a way that Archer couldn't. I guess the fact that show was dedicated to human technology being behind compared to the rest of the galaxy meant that the show had to keep him prominent (whereas Yoshi's main job of translating often got downplayed because it slows down plots).

Of the rest of the main cast, the writers did Mayweather dirty, and Malcolm has literally nothing going on with is life, to the point that I would rank like that girl Phlox watches movies with or always-offscreen Chef higher than Malcolm.

zoux posted:

If I were the Xindi, I would've simply shown up with my completed death star and reduced the earth into a debris field instead of sending over an amuse bouche of a micro death star to angry up the humans' blood.

I think the guy who made the superweapon was really angsty about it and wanted to get away with just the little one.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The problem with Archer is that he's a big important historical figure in the Trek universe, and Berman and Braga weren't up to the task of not telling his story as hagiography. I mean, there's an interesting kernel there - the middling nepobaby who has learn how to manage his mission and be an ambassador for these human up-and-comers, but instead they start him out as A Great Man who only gets better. Then when they try to break him down some in season 3, it didn't work because Bakula just couldn't seem to connect with it.

edit:
Literally the only interesting thing about Malcolm is his friendship with Trip, proving yet again that Trip elevates the material.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 28, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The problem with Malcolm Reed is that he's a seat-sniffing ultra creep who's there to let people who think that knife catalogs count as literature participate in the experience of space. He's a spy and a Randian example of national thinking, like a museum dinosaur.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Been sitting on All Good Things... for like three years now. Just sat through it and man, man, man. That was amazing. I wish I was able to watch TNG when it was contemporary (I was eight).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fighting Trousers posted:

The problem with Archer is that he's a big important historical figure in the Trek universe, and Berman and Braga weren't up to the task of not telling his story as hagiography. I mean, there's an interesting kernel there - the middling nepobaby who has learn how to manage his mission and be an ambassador for these human up-and-comers, but instead they start him out as A Great Man who only gets better. Then when they try to break him down some in season 3, it didn't work because Bakula just couldn't seem to connect with it.

edit:
Literally the only interesting thing about Malcolm is his friendship with Trip, proving yet again that Trip elevates the material.
Enterprise has the same problem that Discovery later has, which is that they are revolving a good portion of the show around the least interesting character.

I kind of like more pissed off Archer in Season 3 because at least he has more of a personality beyond 'the Vulcans were mean to my dad'.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I do realize these are TV shows and you cannot attempt to overlay a strict technology development cycle on them, like it’s a rule/stats book from a Starfleet Battles expansion

And this is shamefully nerdy, but from what I’ve seen of the Romulans in TNG and later, it seemed like they quit using plasma torpedoes? When that was their big superweapon in the 2200s.

The D’Deridex class seems to use disruptors and phasers, and the homing plasma torpedo, which was a great plot element in Balance of Terror, is now a thing of the past.

The Romulans put plasma torpedoes on that Bajoran moon in DS9 so they're still using some type of them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Der Kyhe posted:

TekWar is basically low rent knock off blade runner but made out of early 90's clip art and filmed in Toronto

Shatner plays his character in that pretty Shatnerily.

TJ Hooker the cop show is hilarious because sometimes he does his own stunts (not the more extreme ones like jumping out of a helicopter of course) and you can always tell when it's actually him because he either looks genuinely scared and/or he's sweating bullets. Being a cop show it's right wing and Shatner tries to play a hardass but I think this is the era most of his iconic hammy acting comes from

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

cenotaph posted:

The Romulans put plasma torpedoes on that Bajoran moon in DS9 so they're still using some type of them.

Oh, good catch. I had totally forgotten about that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You gotta hand it to the Xindi, they only got one shot at the Earth and they used it to destroy part of Florida. Respect.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

You gotta hand it to the Xindi, they only got one shot at the Earth and they used it to destroy part of Florida. Respect.

Florida Man must be stopped at all cost.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

if they did that now star trek would be banned from florida

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tighclops posted:

TekWar is basically low rent knock off blade runner but made out of early 90's clip art and filmed in Toronto

I just thought Tekwar was some books and a video game didn't know it was tv show/movie. The movies up on youtube and was just skimming through it, and oh god is this part hilariously 90's goofy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_foClSWUbM&t=1842s

It's the contentious cutways to the b-roll of close up of the dog barking in wide angle that really puts it over the edge. Genius.

Like everyone involved in that scene must of known it was a joke right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shatner himself showed up on Monday Night Raw on USA to promote TekWar, and cut a promo on Jerry Lawler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd0lykmQSrU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Oh no, not Carmen Sandiego.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Boxturret posted:

I never knew when you were playing those games you weren't playing kids trying to arrest her, you were apparently playing robot assassin kids trying to blow her up.

I'm so glad I sucked at those games. She was cool. She didn't deserve that. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

she's geography now

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

zoux posted:

I don't think that's low key I think that's widely accepted.

They did a Hoshi episode and because it was about a girl that means it had to be about a love interest! I guess it's cool that they didn't do exactly Beauty and the Beast, just mostly Beauty and the Beast.

The Mirror Universe episode is fantastic start to finish and I count it as a Hoshi episode because :sweatdrop:

I'm a big ENT apologist, but even I have my limits. As someone who watched all of Quantum Leap when I was a kid, I love me some of that Bakula. But he is woefully miscast, specifically in S3. He works better in S1-2 when they're usually going for more of an affable captain, but S3's attempt at BSG/post-911 tone is tough sledding for Bakula. I honestly don't know why they didn't just leave the harsh tone in the hands of Trip. The character is given a tangible reason to be even more mad than everyone else about the Xindi, and his actor can pull it off.

But lol at Archer and Phlox's attempts at counseling Trip through his trauma. "Can't sleep because your family died? Have you tried erotic massage with T'pol?"

I mean, it works, but it just seems wrong.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
To be fair he was offered the narcotic slugs but then he'd have to sleep on his back

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like at the time Enterprise was made, there was a big deal about "going back to basics" and having 3 main characters like TOS with the captain being the most important by far. (I can't prove that this was a backlash to the last captain being a woman and the previous one being black and also not a real captain for half the show, but... :thunk:) And they got ⅔ of the way there at least, but they definitely should've worked on the other characters a bit. It's not the 60s anymore, we can handle it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Voyager knly had three main characters anyway (Janeway, Seven, The Doctor) so it's not even like it was a major narrative break!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Real "what do I do with my hands" vibes from Jeri

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Railing Kill posted:

But lol at Archer and Phlox's attempts at counseling Trip through his trauma. "Can't sleep because your family died? Have you tried erotic massage with T'pol?"

I mean, it works, but it just seems wrong.

Even better is in season 4 when Trip is "hey, I'm in love with T'Pol and it sucks" and Phlox is "shouldn't have caught feelings my dude" and Trip points out that the massage was Phlox's idea and Phlox is all "surely you can't blame ME for that."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He also cloned the guy that started this whole thing!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I thought Roxann had wrapped her leg around Kate, good god.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"She's going for the Figure Four!!"`

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
poor Ethan Phillips in the back there looking like he had to sneak into the cast photo

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Chairman posted:

poor Ethan Phillips in the back there looking like he had to sneak into the cast photo

He looks like he got shown an assortment of fan reactions to Neelix immediately before getting into position.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

disaster pastor posted:

He looks like he got shown an assortment of fan reactions to Neelix immediately before getting into position.

I do hope he didn't get to much poo poo from fans. Neelix may of sucked as a character but that had nothing to do with his acting. Dude tried his best, really can't think of anyone who could of pulled that role off.

Okay maybe Vincent Price.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His look was modeled after Timon and Pumbaa which is why it's so loving cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

That's actually a pretty good cast picture compared to, err, some of the other star treks