Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Stickey keys as a feature is fine, it's just an odd shortcut that you can easily hit unintentionally so once per profile you get an unexpected tone/popup and have to go change a setting. It would be nice if it was something that required a more deliberate keypress.

So the accessibility feature for people who can't do complex keyboard operations should be activated by a complex keyboard operation. Got it. :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

So the accessibility feature for people who can't do complex keyboard operations should be activated by a complex keyboard operation. Got it. :hmmyes:

It could be pressing five times 'Alt Gr' instead of shift

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That’s how you activate the Alt Gright

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

All the accessibility options can be accessed with the lctrl+ralt+pgup+F6 shortcut, is that not enough?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you accidentally trigger it and don't need it, the thing that pops up gives you an option to turn the shortcuts off right there. If it happens to you more than once you have nobody to blame but yourself

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dabir posted:

If you accidentally trigger it and don't need it, the thing that pops up gives you an option to turn the shortcuts off right there. If it happens to you more than once you have nobody to blame but yourself

It used to happen back when alt tabbing or a Windows pop up could crash other apps/games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Even more incentive to turn it off the first time it happens.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dabir posted:

except for the previous versions of windows where this was not true

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

The "complexity" of the keyboard operation means "pressing multiple keys at once". That's why it's pressing the same key 5 times instead of some complicated multiple keystroke

It's for people who can only press keys sequentially

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That's what caps lock is for.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

oh come on

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Indecisive posted:

except for the previous versions of windows where this was not true

I still don't trust that it will stay off when I check the box

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

oh come on

They’re absolutely right and I am not being sarcastic

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FFT posted:

That's what caps lock is for.

Caps lock doesn't help if what you're trying to do is Ctrl+V or something

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

It could be pressing five times 'Alt Gr' instead of shift

i just want to protect my virginity, is that so hard to comprehent ffs

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

taqueso posted:

I still don't trust that it will stay off when I check the box
I have it unchecked and it still pops up in the middle of games occasionally when I do some weird pattern on the shift key. There seems to be some hard-coded ultra-shortcut failsafe you can't turn off.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

sticky keys ptsd

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Fools talkin like they keys ain’t already sticky

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
that’s from using the shaft key too many times

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

hallo spacedog posted:

In theory it is the same idea but think a boilermaker is like a whiskey and lager beer while a car bomb is a half Irish whiskey half Irish cream and a Guinness or other Irish stout

I went to an Irish Pub a decade ago in a tourist trap and the bartender said they call them "Guinness Bombs" so yeah just do that

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cool starry bra

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This will be the first and last John Oliver meme I post.

Please go to r/pics for all your John Oliver needs

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MunchE posted:

I went to an Irish Pub a decade ago in a tourist trap and the bartender said they call them "Guinness Bombs" so yeah just do that

I got my bartending training from the guy who invented the carbomb and even he was like “yeah I hosed the name up”.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

ghost emoji has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jun 28, 2023

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Powered Descent posted:

IMO it should be toggled on by pressing any key at all, once or more times.
Same as every other accessibility option

If I'm typing and spacebar doesn't turn on On-Screen narration, Zoom and On-Screen Keyboard it's ableism

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Despite the constant negative press diarhehe

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Grassy Knowles posted:

They’re absolutely right and I am not being sarcastic

It's this.

Nobody knows the feature exists until they trigger it accidentally. But chances are, if you need the feature, you'll end up triggering it accidentally yourself due to being unable to hold the keys down while you try to complete the key combo.

It's actually pretty clever.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

That's when Micheal Jackson gets the shits.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dpkg chopra posted:

that’s from using the shaft key too many times

My wife doesn't let me have the shaft key

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I heard that key is one bad mother!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk