Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me: A lot of eugenic practices were rooted in misogyny, too. See, e.g., Rosemary Kennedy, lobotomized for being sexually active then rewritten by her family as the hagiographic inspiration for the Special Olympics.

I had managed to get this far in my life never learning about this reference and this post inspired me to do some reading. Goddamn is that disgusting and horrifying story. I'm raising an energetic little girl and it makes me viscerally uncomfortable to think about it.

Guess they earned that curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me: A lot of eugenic practices were rooted in misogyny, too. See, e.g., Rosemary Kennedy, lobotomized for being sexually active then rewritten by her family as the hagiographic inspiration for the Special Olympics.

:staredog:

Xalidur posted:

I had managed to get this far in my life never learning about this reference and this post inspired me to do some reading. Goddamn is that disgusting and horrifying story. I'm raising an energetic little girl and it makes me viscerally uncomfortable to think about it.

:same:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Xalidur posted:

Phyllis Chesler turned out to be a racist zionist (birm) & a terf to boot but her 1972 book "Women & Madness" was incredibly revolutionary at the time it was published, even as it built upon Friedan and other second-wave thinkers.

This is why I get so prickly when I come across gaslighting, even when done as over-emotionalizing in restating women's words (ie: "why are you raging?"): In my lifetime women were pathologized, lobotomized and institutionalized for having the "wrong" sorts of thoughts & behaviors.

eta Adrienne Rich's review of "Women & Madness" at the time it was published.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 28, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

It's never settled. There's no way to settle it. There's going to be politics going on forever, every election is the most important of your lifetime. We are never going to be able to dust our hands and say "There, done." and I don't know of any theory of politics that espouses that.

Well maybe some apocalyptic death cult ones but we don't wanna settle things forever that way.

quote:

“How many more of these goddamn elections are we going to have to write off as lame but ‘regrettably necessary’ holding actions? And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?” - Hunter S Thompson, 1972

E

You know what, the website I C&P's this quote from turned out to be decent read actually

https://livinglifefearless.co/2018/...ey-didnt-learn/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 28, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Rosemary Kennedy was not mentally disabled. Well, until the lobotomy. She definitely was after that.

At worst, she was maybe not as bright as the rest of the Kennedys, who were mostly quite intelligent.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Yeah, Rosemary's great sin (other than liking boys) was being average in a family of geniuses.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fighting Trousers posted:

Yeah, Rosemary's great sin (other than liking boys) was being average in a family of geniuses.

I think her real sin was being inconvenient, which is why they elected to have a psychotic lunatic :nms: slowly carve up her brain while she recited bible verses so when she couldn't speak properly anymore they'd know he'd done enough damage.:nms:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

BiggerBoat posted:

E

You know what, the website I C&P's this quote from turned out to be decent read actually

The thing is by the time you get to Election Day it’s too late for any big change. If you want to push a party left or right you have to start at the local level, and it filters it’s way up. And it takes a long time. And a lot of people. And that’s frustrating to someone who becomes politically aware at best one month out of every two or four years.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think her real sin was being inconvenient, which is why they elected to have a psychotic lunatic :nms: slowly carve up her brain while she recited bible verses so when she couldn't speak properly anymore they'd know he'd done enough damage.:nms:
Fun fact: the guy that invented the ice pick lobotomy crafted the procedure specifically to get around his lack of qualifications, as a psychiatrist, to perform general surgery.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cat botherer posted:

Fun fact: the guy that invented the ice pick lobotomy crafted the procedure specifically to get around his lack of qualifications, as a psychiatrist, to perform general surgery.

He hadn't "perfected" his technique at that point, thus it taking longer. In other episodes he killed at least one patient by leaving his picks in while he set up cameras for some glamour shots, allowing them to sink deeper into the brain and kill the patient. Total piece of poo poo, that guy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This thread has taught me way too much about horrifying forced medical procedures, and it's happened multiple times now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This thread is not too dissimilar from the Ludovico Technique sometimes

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

E

Just because a one trick pony edgelord* writer repeated his one trick in 1972 doesn’t make it a great point about that election.

McGovern in fact ran on the poo poo Thompson wanted and those 20 million didn’t care or didn’t show up. In fact, McGovern’s shellacking is all the more notable for being so much worse than his party downballot, which even managed to gain senate seats.

But it was easy for Thompson to see the writing on the wall that Nixon was going to win and pretend it was because politicians just wouldn’t Hunter S Thompson hard enough or whatever.

* I admit this is an uncharitable characterization because his style would have been more fresh at the time.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 28, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

She had some minor developmental problems and seizures but those also all go back to Rose Kennedy being forced by a birthing nurse to keep her legs closed during the birth until the doctor arrived. This included the nurse pushing a crowning Rosemary back up. It was not uncommon practice at the time and likely led to her being oxygen deprived during the birth. And to be clear her developmental delays meant she was a year or two behind, it wasn't severe.

It's a grim story.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaford-delaware-corporate-voting-llc-trust-elections/

Delaware is continuing expanding the rights of corporations and the number of places where they are allowed to vote in elections (including, apparently, being able to cast multiple votes for some reason).

Nice like preview of what I'm sure we'll be seeing more often in the coming years.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That can't be correct; Delaware has a Democrat state senate edge of 15-6, and a state house edge of 26-15, in its general assembly.

Not to mention a certain Democrat president who arose out of the state; does he hold no sway anymore?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
On the topic of US racism vs EU racism....the most explicitly racist European regime we know of, Nazis, took notes from the US's racism.

So I think that kinda settles it?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GlyphGryph posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/seaford-delaware-corporate-voting-llc-trust-elections/

Delaware is continuing expanding the rights of corporations and the number of places where they are allowed to vote in elections (including, apparently, being able to cast multiple votes for some reason).

Nice like preview of what I'm sure we'll be seeing more often in the coming years.

Apparently several towns in Delaware already allow it. Mind boggling.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

yronic heroism posted:

But it was easy for Thompson to see the writing on the wall that Nixon was going to win and pretend it was because politicians just wouldn’t Hunter S Thompson hard enough or whatever.
Thompson didn't pretend McGovern lost because he "wouldn't Hunter S. Thompson hard enough", he thought McGovern lost because of Eagleton.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

if by 'delaware' you mean one shitfuck city of 250 people, yes

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

On the topic of US racism vs EU racism....the most explicitly racist European regime we know of, Nazis, took notes from the US's racism.

I don't think excusing American racism by saying some Europeans took it even further is a good idea. Americans self flagellating about Americans being uniquely racist is dumb, so is acting like Europeans are somehow enlightened. The Greek navy is currently letting migrants drown because they are Arab or African, and we are still very much living in the effects of European colonialism.

It isn't a contest, and if it is, there are no winners.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

if by 'delaware' you mean one shitfuck city of 250 people, yes

It’s already going on in some other cities and the state legislature has to approve it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the subject of certain countries being more racist because other racist countries took ideas from them, I think it's stupid to look at it that way. These are a bunch of really racist countries, all of them, and they share information in a brotherly spirit to better perfect their racism. It's like the worst academic conference on earth: a bunch of assholes discussing how to most effectively practice racism.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I live in a very small town, looked up the last mayoral election and the person won with 168ish votes total. So I thought hell I could probably beat that, I've been trying to navigate the requirements and everything to get on the ballot but I've been getting roadblocked every single step of the way. It's amazing how entrenched small town politicians can be and how much power they have to stop anyone from challenging them.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Some interesting info on the make up of our political elite.

https://twitter.com/TomLasseter/status/1673687048325152769

https://twitter.com/TomLasseter/status/1673687734836248576

https://twitter.com/TomLasseter/status/1673688903126056969

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It’s already going on in some other cities and the state legislature has to approve it.

The state legislature has to approve it, yes, but there's no indication that the current legislature is going to approve this specific charter. In fact, earlier this month, the Delaware Dems introduced a bill to ban this practice entirely.

It's certainly possible that the charter might be approved, since Delaware has long structured its laws to make itself a corporate haven and that's had a big influence on the state's politics, but let's wait to see if the legislature actually passes it or not before we start complaining about them passing it.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

How many EU countries have elected a Black president?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That seems very low. I'd expect it to be a higher percentage. My guess is that lots of people's genealogies aren't fully traced.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

socialsecurity posted:

I live in a very small town, looked up the last mayoral election and the person won with 168ish votes total. So I thought hell I could probably beat that, I've been trying to navigate the requirements and everything to get on the ballot but I've been getting roadblocked every single step of the way. It's amazing how entrenched small town politicians can be and how much power they have to stop anyone from challenging them.

Yeah, I've got a friend who lives in the really small college town near me, and she was looking at trying to get involved in local politics up until the point where it looked like she'd literally get murdered by the incumbent if she actually tried to run for anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

UKJeff posted:

How many EU countries have elected a Black president?

The Irish PM is of Indian descent if that helps you feel a different way about racism, somehow

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That seems very low. I'd expect it to be a higher percentage. My guess is that lots of people's genealogies aren't fully traced.

We're a nation of immigrants.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe. I think the better study would of been what multi-millionaire/billionaires and companies made their money from the slave trade. I think that would be way more helpful a piece of information to know to pierce a bit of the businesses are smarties who just inherently are better than us.

Also, as we discuss racism EU/US style I think slavery highlights a bit of disconnect on the issue. The nations that gave birth to the United States were all involved in the slave trade, had their hands in it, participated and profited in it. If we sit here and say the US is unique in its racism or its participation in it, let's the Europeans off the hook for their participation of said system.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

That can't be correct; Delaware has a Democrat state senate edge of 15-6, and a state house edge of 26-15, in its general assembly.

Not to mention a certain Democrat president who arose out of the state; does he hold no sway anymore?

It doesn't look like it is going to pass the state legislature. It was just the small town (where 340 people voted in the last election) who passed it - and the Mayor had to cast a tie-breaking vote.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Irish PM is of Indian descent if that helps you feel a different way about racism, somehow

Doesn't have a cool dog like the previous one, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 28, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I believe that was the President, who is still in office and still has (one) cool dog. The other died, unfortunately.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's our President you're thinking of, he's still there (as is one of the dogs).

Our PM, the coolest thing about him was getting snapped cheating on his partner in a local gay club. Otherwise he's Thatcher incarnate

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ah, correct. I remember hearing the dog died, but I thought he only had one. Were they both big Bernese Mountain Dogs? I remember only one of them being in the room jumping around on people when he had his meeting with Biden last year.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Comparing US and EU racism doesn't really work because the situations are different. The US has a much larger minority population, and has thus had to grapple with the presence of minorities and the legacies of old racist policies in ways that the EU largely hasn't.

While European countries have a long and storied history of racism, the people they were racist against were foreigners who, at most, were brought under their control as subjects in their overseas empires. When the empires collapsed, few of the non-white people had moved to the ruling country, and thus the legacies of their racist policies weren't really something they had to directly face. For example, as far as British whites were concerned, the long-term impacts of their policies in places like India or South Africa were someone else's problem; the domestic white population was never really forced to confront that legacy head-on because the people they had oppressed for so long were now nominally-independent foreigners. The European colonizers committed all sorts of atrocities overseas, but for the most part, those atrocities stayed overseas where they were easy to ignore and forget.

In the US, most (though not all) of the racist atrocities happened domestically, and that domestic non-white population stayed here afterward. The descendants of slaves still live here, often not too far from the descendants of slaveowners, and both groups are very politically active and deeply affected by the legacies of slavery and white supremacy. For good or for ill, the US hasn't been able to forget or dismiss its history of racism, and it's been forced to actively grapple with both the long-term impacts of racism and the continued presence of racist agitators pushing for more racism. That has resulted in a very different relationship with racism compared to European countries.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ah, correct. I remember hearing the dog died, but I thought he only had one. Were they both big Bernese Mountain Dogs? I remember only one of them being in the room jumping around on people when he had his meeting with Biden last year.

Yeah he's been President since 2011, unfortunately longer than the lifespan of a typical Bernese.

Originally it was Shadow , then Bród and Síoda, then Síoda died and shortly thereafter new puppy Misneach arrived, followed this year by Bród passing away. Misneach is the one who was being a bit of an aloof jerk to Biden.

They're all very good boys and rumours abound that Misneach will get another buddy before the end of Pres. Higgins' term of office

E: why not

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 28, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1673836540860981249

quote:

“I would say it was bravado, if you want to know the truth, it was bravado,” Trump said in an interview aboard his plane with Semafor and ABC News. “I was talking and just holding up papers and talking about them, but I had no documents. I didn’t have any documents.”
Asked about his use of the word “plans” during a Fox News interview earlier Tuesday to describe some items he may have highlighted in the 2021 meeting, Trump insisted he was referring to “building plans” and plans for golf courses strewn about his desk.
“Did I use the word plans?” he said. “What I’m referring to is magazines, newspapers, plans of buildings. I had plans of buildings. You know, building plans? I had plans of a golf course.”
Asked if he had any regrets about his handling of classified documents, Trump said he did not.
“No, I have no regrets,” he said. “I didn't have a classified document. There was no classified document on my desk.”

Check the tape!

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1674050797540130820

He did everything but say "A lot of people say this is the greatest actus reus anyone's ever seen, and it's true,"

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

yronic heroism posted:

McGovern in fact ran on the poo poo Thompson wanted and those 20 million didn’t care or didn’t show up. In fact, McGovern’s shellacking is all the more notable for being so much worse than his party downballot, which even managed to gain senate seats.

I read it more as a 50 year old example of Democrats running a progressive primary campaign, winning the nomination and then immediately tracking towards the center. McGovern more or less came out of nowhere, tapped a vein in the leftist electorate, beat a few "big name" front runners, spoke to things a lot of people cared about and then appeared to abandon all the policies that got him the nom in the first place and disappoint the people that got him there.

Candidate Obama comes to mind. Also, some of the wishy washy bullshit surrounding the second Iraq war during the 2004 and 2008 elections. Democrats always seem to capitulate and tack towards the center the further they get while Republicans just increasingly move right.

I think if I'm gonna go down (or even get crushed), I'd rather do it based on the things that galvanize my base. Republicans have figured this out are also facing the reality that their angry, hateful base is delivering diminishing electoral and alienating centrists but, on the other side, we have a party that mostly gets elected based on not being as much of an rear end in a top hat as the other person. Not on any kind of real enthusiasm.

Who's enthusiastic about Joe Biden? Or John Kerry? Or Al Gore? Obama had a nice little brief wave there for a minute and seemed transformative and then, once elected, decided to appoint Tim Geitner and his gang to run the economy the very first week. That was the end of Hope and Change.