Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eight acres makes that price seem reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's useless land, though. It's not near anything interesting, it's unproductive, it does nothing. It's a maintenance liability.

owning land for the sake of owning land is the weirdest American poo poo to me, why would you want eight acres if it does nothing for you

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Twerk from Home posted:

The next post is the more interesting one:
https://twitter.com/nickgerli1/status/1673775106793828352?s=20

There are so many Airbnbs. gently caress them all.

hahahahahahahahahhaahahahhaha get fked yo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goddamn shamokin isn't really even on google maps. there are towns in nigeria with better streetview coverage

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

owning land for the sake of owning land is the weirdest American poo poo to me, why would you want eight acres if it does nothing for you

It's good to have land

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

It's good to have land

not if it's just a liability that does absolutely nothing for you

owning unproductive land for the sake of owning unproductive land is a very weird modern thing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i mean you could live there

maybe grow some food

idk

Apr 7, 2003

It isn't near anything, it does nothing useful, it's just there. "That's reasonable because there's eight acres there" makes sense in the context of the land being useful. It isn't.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

It's useless land, though. It's not near anything interesting, it's unproductive, it does nothing. It's a maintenance liability.

This strikes me as the more American way of thinking. Can't preserve a slice of nature, even if it's a deforested lawn. It's gotta turn tricks for Daddy Landlord. A garden? Are you selling what you grow? You just like looking at it? What a waste...

Apr 7, 2003

it's sat for 160 days too, that $315k might as well be $3m.

Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

goddamn shamokin isn't really even on google maps. there are towns in nigeria with better streetview coverage

https://www.cc.com/video/6deoft/tosh-0-s-thole-of-the-week

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

This strikes me as the more American way of thinking. Can't preserve a slice of nature, even if it's a deforested lawn. It's gotta turn tricks for Daddy Landlord. A garden? Are you selling what you grow? You just like looking at it? What a waste...

Most of the land in that area is state-owned and state-maintained wilderness. Better to let the state worry about maintaining it, you can still enjoy it without being on the hook for it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol, total landlord brain in this post

Apr 7, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

lol, total landlord brain in this post

If you don't think private owners should be hording land for no reason you're a landlord, impeccable logic

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Jun 28, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I think you mean “I’m a landlord.”

Apr 7, 2003

jealousy looks bad on you, stop dragging it into every thread

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I have a little under two acres. It’s nice to have all the extra space between neighbors and it’s all wooded so maintenance is close to zero other than occasionally clearing heavy brush and removing dead trees. Biggest expense is when a dead tree is threatening a structure and needs to be professionally removed and I can’t just let it fall down in the next storm.

I’m glad I don’t have any more land than I do, though. I don’t hunt or need grazing land and I don’t need to be so isolated that I literally never see my neighbors. It would just be more work.

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Jun 28, 2023

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

lmao literally nobody in this forum is jealous of you but we are jealous of forums that aren’t just your posts about yourself for half of every page

Apr 7, 2003

So incredibly not jealous that you drag your petty whining into completely unrelated threads

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

look, no doubt that place isn't worth 300k

but to say it's "worthless" is kinda weird, and to then say it's not "productive," is... well, give some thought to your impulse to denigrate something that you don't think is productive

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i am harry posted:

lmao literally nobody in this forum is jealous of you

he's an old fat white guy who doesn't work for a living. what's not to envy?

Apr 7, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

but to say it's "worthless" is kinda weird, and to then say it's not "productive," is... well, give some thought to your impulse to denigrate something that you don't think is productive

You're right, better to hoard eight acres of land you're not doing anything with instead of letting the state manage it for everyone to enjoy.

Apr 7, 2003

Letishly putting up my POSTED - NO TRESPASSING signs

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

19 o'clock posted:

he's an old fat white guy who doesn't work for a living. what's not to envy?

Trust me, being old, fat and white only gets you partway there...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of a budget hotel?

i remember looking for hotels in the same area and they were all much more expensive. i'm guessing in the most touristy areas prices just go up a ton

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Agreed.

You're right, better to hoard eight acres of land you're not doing anything with instead of letting the state manage it for everyone to enjoy.

Is Pennsylvania just crazy good at maintaining open, accessible state-owned land? Because "state-managed" = "open for everyone to enjoy" doesn't seem accurate.

Apr 7, 2003

Failson posted:

Is Pennsylvania just crazy good at maintaining open, accessible state-owned land? Because "state-managed" = "open for everyone to enjoy" doesn't seem accurate.

Most of the land around there is state-managed forest for public use, I grew up there and used to wander around state lands all the time.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

actionjackson posted:

i remember looking for hotels in the same area and they were all much more expensive. i'm guessing in the most touristy areas prices just go up a ton

The budget motels are now long-term rentals for the not-homeless. In this case the lack of housing stock is eating motel rooms.

In other words, Airbnb-ers are buying houses to rent out short-term, forcing people to live in motels long-term. And it's loving with prices both ways.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jun 28, 2023

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
the mask voice: shamokin lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

anonumos posted:

Trust me, being old, fat and white only gets you partway there...

lol, i'm being a dick to him but landlords gonna landlord.

Apr 7, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

lol, i'm being a dick to him but landlords gonna landlord.

i've never been a landlord and never will be

mark immune posted:

It's one of the most depressed housing markets in America and the investors are loving it up there too

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

mark immune posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fart simpson posted:

ever heard of a budget hotel?

these no longer appear to exist in any parts of big cities close enough to public transit. i've had to book in Boston and NYC recently and there are hostels around $50 and then a big gulf until you hit $300 a night.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
land ownership is one of the few paths out of the misery in this country, idk why this is difficult arithmetic

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We've been trying to find something like a small condo for my partner's parents and, insane prices aside, one of the most notable things is that literally every single seller/realtor assumes you want to rent the place. All of them. One of the first things we'll hear is either a very sheepish "the HOA doesn't allow rentals" or a very excited "the HOA does allow rentals!"

The place we've been seriously looking at doesn't allow rentals and the poor realtor was basically insisting over and over and over again that the HOA is very serious and you can't get away with it, because apparently she'd been talking to a ton of people who just automatically assumed that no meant yes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paradoxish posted:

We've been trying to find something like a small condo for my partner's parents and, insane prices aside, one of the most notable things is that literally every single seller/realtor assumes you want to rent the place. All of them. One of the first things we'll hear is either a very sheepish "the HOA doesn't allow rentals" or a very excited "the HOA does allow rentals!"

The place we've been seriously looking at doesn't allow rentals and the poor realtor was basically insisting over and over and over again that the HOA is very serious and you can't get away with it, because apparently she'd been talking to a ton of people who just automatically assumed that no meant yes.

goddamn excess savings

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

our condo association actually won a lawsuit about this a few years ago (we do not allow rentals)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
In my neighborhood short term rentals require a permit, so this slumlord just stole the identity of his renters to get like 300 permits to convert all his rentals into AirBnBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at least he went from hoa violation to mega-felony