Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I enjoyed Harley Quinn, and if "DC stuff" includes the comics, I enjoyed the White Knight elseworlds comics. It makes a nice sequel to the original BTAS cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only DC thing I’ve enjoyed is Peacemaker, which has stylistic elements that I don’t think will age well at all, but which has good characters and performances. The hyper-stylized bickering all the characters do is eventually going to be received in the same way we receive Whedon’s stylized dialogue.

I actually liked a lot about The Batman, there was an almost Adam Westian quality to it at times. Not in terms of the action or setting, obviously, but in who R-pat's Batman was on the path to becoming. Not a Dark Knight, but a Caped Crusader, so to speak.

I was thinking about Blade in the shower this morning and man, in light of how interconnected and byzantine the MCU has become, it's kind of wild that there's a well-liked Marvel movie out there that has almost nothing to do whatsoever with Marvel other than some character names and attributes. I'm not even sure if I was aware at the time that Wesley Snipes' new vampire movie had anything to do with that one guy who showed up on the Spider-man cartoon a couple times

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Phy posted:

I was thinking about Blade in the shower this morning and man, in light of how interconnected and byzantine the MCU has become, it's kind of wild that there's a well-liked Marvel movie out there that has almost nothing to do whatsoever with Marvel other than some character names and attributes. I'm not even sure if I was aware at the time that Wesley Snipes' new vampire movie had anything to do with that one guy who showed up on the Spider-man cartoon a couple times

There’s an MCU-based Blade reboot on the books that got shut down by the writer’s strike, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it gets mercy-killed somewhere along the way.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Legit didn't even know Blade was Marvel until he got added to Marvel Heroes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blade has wonderful and astonishing powers, he’s definitely a marvel

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phy posted:

I actually liked a lot about The Batman, there was an almost Adam Westian quality to it at times. Not in terms of the action or setting, obviously, but in who R-pat's Batman was on the path to becoming. Not a Dark Knight, but a Caped Crusader, so to speak.

Of course Blade III was the first marvel appearance for Ryan Reynolds as well, not playing Deadpool but giving the one performance he has given in everything since The Odyssey on cbc that is the same as his performance as Deadpool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only DC thing I’ve enjoyed is Peacemaker, which has stylistic elements that I don’t think will age well at all, but which has good characters and performances. The hyper-stylized bickering all the characters do is eventually going to be received in the same way we receive Whedon’s stylized dialogue.

I am a fan of the "James Gunn" style overall because dude really knows how to sell abuse survivors coping, but yeah the bickering was already tedious and the stuff I was skipping through most when I finally got around to Peacemaker.

It's the same reason I can't bother with "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" even though I know that's the point and the punchlines are usually great.

Phy posted:

As someone who truly despises Jeph Loeb's hacky bullshit and 60s-80s serial killer fetishism I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed The Batman. Not perfect, but taking some big side steps given the franchise pedigree and I respected it a lot. Plus it got me to appreciate that Nirvana tune again.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

Of course Blade III was the first marvel appearance for Ryan Reynolds as well, not playing Deadpool but giving the one performance he has given in everything since The Odyssey on cbc that is the same as his performance as Deadpool.

Back in the day I though David Duchovny would have been the perfect Hannibal King.

Not that it would have saved the movie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Back in the day I though David Duchovny would have been the perfect Hannibal King.

Not that it would have saved the movie.

Looks like John Constantine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That look is legitimately saying "What? Dusky hair, a trenchcoat, and a tie aren't trademarked. Come at me DC."

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don’t take that from Keanu, he was perfect in that and would be perfect in any comic book role, my uncle has him booked for Kitty Pride.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
While I personally liked the Keanu Constantine film, his characterization significantly departs from the comics. And not just because he's dark haired and American.

At least he didn't try a British accent, guess he learned his lesson from Bram Stoker's Dracula.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Given the choice between Keanu and Harry Styles / A gambothrone leftover, I'd pick Keanu regardless of authenticity concerns.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Matt Ryan was a fantastic Constantine.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

well why not posted:

Given the choice between Keanu and Harry Styles / A gambothrone leftover, I'd pick Keanu regardless of authenticity concerns.

Yeah, that Constantine estate is very clear on authenticity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Keanu, and Shia LeBeouf as Chas, are why the Constantine movie sucks. With better casting that movie would have slapped. No need to go back to that well ever.

Phylodox posted:

With a better hair guy yeah he did really well, I just wish he could be an actual bastard who rarely cast actual spells. For all the problems with the Keanu version-- namely Keanu-- it gets that much right.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Phylodox posted:

fortunately he's neither Harry Styles nor one of the Game Of Thrones people!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Absurd Alhazred posted:

mind the walrus posted:

That look is legitimately saying "What? Dusky hair, a trenchcoat, and a tie aren't trademarked. Come at me DC."

Hannibal King first appeared in 1974, over a decade before John Constantine was created. :ssh:

The trenchcoat was a standard part of his look right from the start, also he was a PI who kept getting drawn into supernatural cases and getting mixed up with Blade and Dr Strange and that side of Marvel. It does feel like they changed him slightly to look more like Constantine but to be fair Constantine 'borrowed' his look to start with. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hannibal King first appeared in 1974, over a decade before John Constantine was created. :ssh:

The trenchcoat was a standard part of his look right from the start, also he was a PI who kept getting drawn into supernatural cases and getting mixed up with Blade and Dr Strange and that side of Marvel. It does feel like they changed him slightly to look more like Constantine but to be fair Constantine 'borrowed' his look to start with. :shrug:

:jerkbag:

Yeah "it does feel like"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

:jerkbag:

Yeah "it does feel like"

Everyone looked like a huge dork back in the 70s. :ssh:

They un-dorkified his character by the early 80s:

(He's the guy in the darker blue jacket)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

There is a weird streak of puritanism in some younger people online, but it only seems to be among the extremely online and who cares what they think

can't it just be more likely that people started noticing there's romantic subplots - in many cases, seemingly forced - in pretty much every piece of media that it gets tiring? i actually gave this a bit of thought in recent months and was actually kind of astonished just how ubiquitous romantic relationships are in tv./film/etc. no matter the genre, whether it's action/adventure/comedy/horror/etc., there is almost always at least one love interest involved. and it's almost always with lead characters. why does that need to be a thing?

also, speaking of romances that didn't work...this might be a bit of a hot take, but i thought one of the worst examples was between eleanor and chidore in The Good Place. i think MAYBE in the first round when they realized they had feelings for each other it looked like you could create some kind of believable relationship. but as the show went on, the idea that they were in love with each other never sat right with me. seemed forced as hell. for most of the series they never came off as anything more than good friends to me

mind the walrus posted:

Keanu, and Shia LeBeouf as Chas, are why the Constantine movie sucks. With better casting that movie would have slapped. No need to go back to that well ever.

shia i'll give you, but keanu was fine :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

can't it just be more likely that people started noticing there's romantic subplots - in many cases, seemingly forced - in pretty much every piece of media that it gets tiring? i actually gave this a bit of thought in recent months and was actually kind of astonished just how ubiquitous romantic relationships are in tv./film/etc. no matter the genre, whether it's action/adventure/comedy/horror/etc., there is almost always at least one love interest involved. and it's almost always with lead characters. why does that need to be a thing?

Because it's something that happens to a lot of people (and is thus relatable) and is a source of conflict and drama and strong emotions.

All stories in the end are about people and falling in love is something they do, and often a big part of their lives.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Because it's something that happens to a lot of people (and is thus relatable) and is a source of conflict and drama and strong emotions.

All stories in the end are about people and falling in love is something they do, and often a big part of their lives.

True, but it's often done so disingenuously that it takes the audience out of the media represented. And I feel that's what makes people dislike representations of it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean you can say that about literally any plot element or trope. It is good when done well and bad when done poorly.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Interweb posted:

shia i'll give you, but keanu was fine :colbert:

Keanu was fine doing his own thing but it was pretty different from the comicbook version of the character and I don't think that did the film any favours. It worked for Blade, mostly because the comicbook version looked dorky and carried a fair amount of 70s stereotype baggage that desperately needed to be dumped so the character could be brought up to date. Constantine had also been kicking around for 2 decades by the time the film was made but his sarcasm and smartassery fit in just fine in the early 00s.

When Moore & Bissette & Totleben first created Constantine they deliberately made him look like late 70s Sting, I'm glad that didn't stick

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean you can say that about literally any plot element or trope. It is good when done well and bad when done poorly.
But if something's considered a mandatory checkbox to be shoehorned you end up with far, far more examples of it done poorly than if it was only included when it actually suits the narrative. It's like if every action movie had to contain a car chase oh wait

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Uh 300 didn’t have a car chase

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Oh yeah? Well what movie did Chrysler partner with for this then smarty pants?!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I can't think of a single bad car chase scene though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aramek posted:

The one at the start of Quantum of Solace.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Aramek posted:

Some are definitely better than others. The one in Knives Out is brilliant.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Aramek posted:

If it counts as a "car chase", then that slow-speed scooter pursuit in the Book of Boba Fett was pretty bad.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Have you heard? This is the internet, everything is GENIUS or GARBAGE and here's why, in this 3 hour video essay I will

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it counts as a "car chase", then that slow-speed scooter pursuit in the Book of Boba Fett was pretty bad.

I loved when that hovercar sort of just gently careened into prop barrels and stopped while the alien dude went "ahhh! Oh no!"

Edge of your seat stuff

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aces High posted:

Eh, Snyder's getting "gently caress yoooooou" money from Netflix so I don't think The Flash means anything outside of continued evidence that WB/DC has no idea how to make good movies anymore. Or maybe just good* CBMs

The "Snyderverse" specifically refers to an era of DC comics movies, though, of which The Flash was destined to be the last one regardless of how well it did. (And of course he hasn't technically been involved since Justice League, mid-production.) The fact that it's tanking just feels like a fitting end.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

The hyper-stylized bickering all the characters do is

That's funny, because there's an entire genre of film based on hyper-stylized bickering, didn't they call it the screwball? Imagine Tony Stark in His Girl Friday. The current industry could follow screwball examples, and end up with what they're doing, except effective and good.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

The "Snyderverse" specifically refers to an era of DC comics movies, though, of which The Flash was destined to be the last one regardless of how well it did. (And of course he hasn't technically been involved since Justice League, mid-production.) The fact that it's tanking just feels like a fitting end.

You know what? I decided to rewatch Man of Steel, BvS and Snyder's version of Justice League this week and I'm really coming around on them.

Only rewatched the first two so far, but I like the idea that Snyder is just taking these characters and using them to build his own wagnerian epic. Some of those interpretations are weird (Batman being a lot more lethal) but they fit that very specific mythological vibe (Batman being basically an errant knight who needs to be brought back from madness).

It's not without faults, but it has a strong feeling of authorship that makes it unique. And it's much easier to love something that is overly self-serious if it is sincere.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

You know what? I decided to rewatch Man of Steel, BvS and Snyder's version of Justice League this week and I'm really coming around on them.

Only rewatched the first two so far, but I like the idea that Snyder is just taking these characters and using them to build his own wagnerian epic. Some of those interpretations are weird (Batman being a lot more lethal) but they fit that very specific mythological vibe (Batman being basically an errant knight who needs to be brought back from madness).
I really like parts of both films, but I think this is exactly why I don't think either film works. Their tone is too realistic, for lack of a better word, that the skin tight uniforms and bat ears feel just completely out of place. I still maintain that they would have been fantastic films as being just about super powered aliens coming to Earth, and formerly powerful people having to deal with that. Lose the baggage of superhero comics and you have a good tonally consistent story.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aramek posted:

My genuine congratulations on never watching a single thing from the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I really like parts of both films, but I think this is exactly why I don't think either film works.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.