Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Halve everything Ukraine says. I'm sure they captured a bunch of people but halve any number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Somaen posted:

Uhh no one with tankie-brain gives a crap. To campists this is like a sports game, everything your team does is good, everything the other people do is bad. Ideology is unsubstantial dressing to the fundamental goal ("i want the US and their dogs to lose" and such)

Yeah but ignoring the Z crowd, the question "how do you run elections in wartime when cruise missiles exist" is an important one.

Even if the war winds down somewhat by the end of the year (HIGHLY unlikely), polling stations will remain in danger as long as Russia is still mobilized and ready to fire Iskanders at terror targets.

So sure, maybe you can delay elections for a year or two, but what do you do if it goes on that long and Russia hasn't fully given up yet? For example, can you run an election purely on mail voting, in a country with well-known corruption problems? Or maybe you can try for a 2-day truce, if you have enough of a stick to believe that the Russians will respect it?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Der Kyhe posted:

Turns out that having a massive superiority complex and finger wagging other nations who you openly contempt, or at least consider being beneath you, actually doesn't win hearts and minds. Unfortunately it is also the only play the Swedish politicians and government official know.

Turns out that pigs trying to go against the Constitution does not work in the long run. Idiot racist pedo trolls burning the Qur'an sucks, but having cops gatekeeping freedom of speech sucks more.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Tai posted:

Halve everything Ukraine says. I'm sure they captured a bunch of people but halve any number

I mean Ukraine didn't even claim it yet, it's just noel reports, but I don't even know roughly what number to halve

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

boofhead posted:

I mean Ukraine didn't even claim it yet, it's just noel reports, but I don't even know roughly what number to halve

A company is around 120 give or take.

The halve goes for any pro Ukraine twitter, telegram etc as well

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It might be a surprise to certain Americans that holding an election during war is a bad thing since you guys did that successfully during a couple of wars. The major MAJOR difference here is that your borders were not threatened and your civilians were generally safe in all the modern wars.

Ukrainian citizens are demonstrably not safe at all and their cities keep getting bombed. Even if you could, you should not hold an election in such an environment

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

zone posted:

Your reminder that this is the person who anti-Americans and anti-Western terminally online oafs support for the sake of the "multipolar" world;

But I thought we didn't like globalism!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

the other hand posted:

This feels like a worthwhile read. Ukraine currently doesn’t have a good way to deal with minefields.

https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1673949202068434945?s=46&t=xh4hN1hNNwF9_Cq439R6TA

That seems like a problem with no good solution, sadly. Even NATO would have a real problem trying to clear those minefields without getting attacked.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Potrzebie posted:

Turns out that pigs trying to go against the Constitution does not work in the long run. Idiot racist pedo trolls burning the Qur'an sucks, but having cops gatekeeping freedom of speech sucks more.

Yes, thank you for proving my point. Not only is the Swedish system superior, its so superior its actively harmful to Swedish interests, and you even were able to insert a quip about how everyone else is worse.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674040901226602496
By joint training, do they mean joining the Belarusian specops Jerk du Soleil?

Looking forward to some cool new dance moves from the Russian troops. Perhaps even a human pyramid! :allears:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
short history of Putin's lies about Wagner PMC

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1674045700676485121/photo/1

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CommissarMega posted:

This is something that gets me about this stupid war- if the Russians looked at their own history they would see this poo poo doesn't work. gently caress, I know fascists aren't really big on reading, but surely they'd make an exception for their own Glorious History™.

What do you mean? We have glorious history of winnink. We win in Afghanistan. We win in Africa. We win in Europe, we great liberators of Germania. We even win at the revolution. Is best revolution ever. We beat Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Lapland and the Monaco coast! Even the Americans run from us in Libya. We are champions of the worlrlrlrld!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

That seems like a problem with no good solution, sadly. Even NATO would have a real problem trying to clear those minefields without getting attacked.

NATO would bomb any russian position within artillery range into dust and then safely de-mine them with robo dogs or something

Wait, where's "Wagner doesn't exist you stupid westoid".

But also,

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 28, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The situation with the air in Ukraine is really weird. Since neither side can utilize air forces very well because of AA they're forced to go through this neverending grind on the ground instead. A lot of Ukraines problems would be solved if they had air superiority but I don't even know if that's possible anymore against modern AA

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, thank you for proving my point. Not only is the Swedish system superior, its so superior its actively harmful to Swedish interests, and you even were able to insert a quip about how everyone else is worse.

No, this has nothing to do with other countries being worse. Our Swedish cops have constantly denied permits for manifestations where the book would be burned. This is not in line with Sweden's constitution. The courts constantly tell the police to knock it off, while they keep denying people the freedom of protest that is part of our constitution.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

the other hand posted:

This feels like a worthwhile read. Ukraine currently doesn’t have a good way to deal with minefields.

https://twitter.com/tatarigami_ua/status/1673949202068434945?s=46&t=xh4hN1hNNwF9_Cq439R6TA

These mines are going to remain a massive pain to remove for years even after Russia decides to gently caress off and go home. I highly doubt the Russian army will be like "Our bad. We'll remove our mines" when that time comes. Ugh.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Zzulu posted:

The situation with the air in Ukraine is really weird. Since neither side can utilize air forces very well because of AA they're forced to go through this neverending grind on the ground instead. A lot of Ukraines problems would be solved if they had air superiority but I don't even know if that's possible anymore against modern AA

I don't think the US would have difficulty. Technological superiority goes a really long way. We're 2 generations beyond the AA threats the russia is using.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well yeah but no one stands a chance against the US. You so grossly outmatch every country on earth right now I'm not sure if the entire rest of the world combined could stand against you tbh

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

No, this has nothing to do with other countries being worse. Our Swedish cops have constantly denied permits for manifestations where the book would be burned. This is not in line with Sweden's constitution. The courts constantly tell the police to knock it off, while they keep denying people the freedom of protest that is part of our constitution.

Also, Erdogan doesn't actually give a poo poo about Quran burning. If the burning was prevented then he would whine about the Kurds or about how Sweden doesn't lick his boots hard enough. Holding up Sweden's NATO accession is a power play, he'll find whatever excuse he needs to.

However Sweden should have joined NATO decades ago instead of pretending to be above it all so this is still partly their fault.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Gaining air superiority is much much harder than giving them a bunch of F-16's

Gaining the skies is a massive amount of missiles to knock out radars/air fields/SAM's followed with saturation of the sky with planes. Add in the tech and fuel crews required. It's never going to happen for Ukraine. It would require NATO going full in.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Zzulu posted:

Well yeah but no one stands a chance against the US. You so grossly outmatch every country on earth right now I'm not sure if the entire rest of the world combined could stand against you tbh

To put some numbers here, the Ukrainian Air Force probably hasn't hit a hundred combat aircraft even on paper during this war.

The British Royal Air Force has close to 200. The Armée de l'air et de l'espace also has close to 200. The Luftwaffe has just over 200.

That means that just the main European powers in NATO have a paper strength in the air six times greater than what Ukraine has on paper.

That's without the US at all, and you're quite right on the overmatch - the United States Navy's Army's Air Force (the smallest of the three US air forces) has nearly 300 combat airplanes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_Air_Force_aircraft

jesus christ and tankies talk of USA's military power fading. Yea no

1400 F-35's on order :stare:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

NATO would clear a column through that mine field with long-range standoff air power and artillery with mine-clearing charges (think those HIMARS rockets that have 100k tungsten pellets in them) then send through MRAPs. Ukraine doesn't have that option until they get enough F-16s to matter, likely. Neither side has local air superiority and plenty of AA left

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Zzulu posted:

Thank you. That's the nicest thing anone has said about us in a long time. So nice of you to notice, as we have spent a lot of money and the health of many thousands of volunteers to achieve this goal.

Now watch this drive!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

DandyLion posted:

I don't think the US would have difficulty. Technological superiority goes a really long way. We're 2 generations beyond the AA threats the russia is using.

While I have no doubt the US have the most advanced military, I have doubts that their military will perform as good in the real world as on paper as many think

Here are my thoughts

the military industrial complex aren’t motivated by actual performance but by profit - military spending isn’t worth that much when you use screws that cost 10000x a normal screw that is identical

anecdotal - a friend of mine who were a few tours in Afghanistan described US troops as undisciplined (sorta supported by Abu Grahib)

Lack of real world experience facing a modern army (admittedly something all major nations lack)

Again, no doubt that the US have a stupid large military and could 1v1 all other armies - but as we’ve seen in Afghanistan, gear alone won’t win wars

Edit: plz don’t lump me in with the talkies

Anders fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

We had a groupon

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lol man Ospreys look like something from Halo. I think VTOL aircraft are so cool, like something a kid would come up with

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Tai posted:

Note that this is because a lot of existing US military aircraft are getting uncomfortably close to the "falling out of the sky due to airframe fatigue" stage of their lifespans. Those are replacement airframes, not reinforcements.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tai posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_United_States_Air_Force_aircraft

jesus christ and tankies talk of USA's military power fading. Yea no

Do we even have that many pilots?!?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Anders posted:

While I have no doubt the US have the most advanced military, I have doubts that their military will perform as good in the real world as on paper as many think

Here are my thoughts

the military industrial complex aren’t motivated by actual performance but by profit - military spending isn’t worth that much when you use screws that cost 10000x a normal screw that is identical

anecdotal - a friend of mine who were a few tours in Afghanistan described US troops as undisciplined (sorta supported by Abu Grahib)

Lack of real world experience facing a modern army (admittedly something all major nations lack)

Again, no doubt that the US have a stupid large military and could 1v1 all other armies - but as we’ve seen in Afghanistan, gear alone won’t win wars

Edit: plz don’t lump me in with the talkies

I can assure you America's heart wasn't into Afghanistan.

You add a committment to the cause plus all the gear, and the US is going places.

Source: Me as a US Air Force vet

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you want to see a war America's heart was into look at WW2, or maybe the Civil War. Those two are probably the only two times the US has approached a total war scenario

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

If you want to see a war America's heart was into look at WW2, or maybe the Civil War. Those two are probably the only two times the US has approached a total war scenario

Gulf War would do too.

I'm pretty sure that's more aircraft that either side used at any point and it's a small fraction of the coalition force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRgfBXn6Mg

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Gulf War would do too.

I'm pretty sure that's more aircraft that either side used at any point and it's a small fraction of the coalition force.

Tag urself im the surprised BASE jumper in the circle

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

mobby_6kl posted:

Gulf War would do too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRgfBXn6Mg

18 hour days for me, for 6 months.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Than you for your service

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Thank you, Pot Smoke Phoenix

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jah bless

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
It was an honor to serve

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Prigozhin originally intended to capture Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Gen. Valery Gerasimov, the chief of Russia’s general staff, during a visit to a southern region that borders Ukraine that the two were planning. But the Federal Security Service, or FSB, found out about the plan two days before it was to be executed, according to Western officials.

“Specific leaks about preparations for a rebellion that would begin between June 22-25 were leaked from Prigozhin’s camp,” Zolotov told state media on Tuesday.

Western intelligence agencies also found out early about the plans by Prigozhin, Putin’s former confidant, by analyzing electronic communications intercepts and satellite imagery, according to a person familiar with the findings. Western officials said they believe the original plot had a good chance of success but failed after the conspiracy was leaked, forcing Prigozhin to improvise an alternative plan.

quote:

After taking the command point without facing resistance, Prigozhin split his forces and ordered a few thousand men to head to Moscow while he commanded the rebellion from a bunker in Rostov, hoping that regular forces would join his quest to topple the military leadership.

The plot would likely have ended in an armed standoff in Moscow if Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko hadn’t offered to mediate, according to the Western intelligence analysis.

Lukashenko suggested hosting Wagner in his country, partly to bolster his own security against possible encroachment by Russia, according to Western intelligence. Putin has long sought to absorb Belarus into the Russian Federation.

The permanent stationing of Wagner troops agreed as part of the deal to defuse the crisis is meant to serve as Lukashenko’s personal security guarantee, Western intelligence said they believe.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/wagners-prigozhin-planned-to-capture-russian-military-leaders-805345cf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Yet another proof this thread is controlled by bloodlusting DoD agents promoting their imperial war