Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Doing a non minion corpse explosion build and I'm not sure if it's faster at killing overall but it's crazy crazy tanky for WT3.

I just got tired of having to manage 12 loving minions who die constantly to strong mobs & bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sort of a dumb question but how soon/worth it is it to max out the level of your preferred Basic Skill

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Do not. Basic skills are filler buttons you use to generate effects or resources, their damage is largely irrelevant. 5/5 in your resource dump(Core Skill) is good.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Oh yeah sorry, I just sort of assumed everyone knows to have some kind fury regen aspect on rings by now

That's fine, I've kinda been going in blind on D4 and not relying too much on internet tips/advice/vids/etc and esp builds. It's refreshing for a change, but I'm still learning all the aspects/affixes, even at 77. These forums are about the extent I've gone to for ideas.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 28, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just started, and the jump from newb area to multi on world level 2 just pushed my poo poo in. Am I supposed to downgrade to world level 1, or just run away all the time? I don't really have enough dodges to go toe-to-toe with anything as a rogue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Play world level 1

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just started, and the jump from newb area to multi on world level 2 just pushed my poo poo in. Am I supposed to downgrade to world level 1, or just run away all the time? I don't really have enough dodges to go toe-to-toe with anything as a rogue.

Unless you have the damage to fast clear T2 it's not worth doing over t1 due to the mob health and damage increase. The bonus is only 20%, and the drops aren't any better than t1

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just go down to WT1. WT2 is kind of fun for a challenge, but they really need to up the XP and loot drops or lower the health bonus on enemies.

Right now it just exists in a weird twilight state where it is a challenging, but monetarily unrewarding and slower, way to level and you also will never use it at end game. The "optimal" way to play the game is to basically never do WT2 until you need to do your capstone dungeon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's more exp than you would ever need in wt1 if you do even a little side stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Do not. Basic skills are filler buttons you use to generate effects or resources, their damage is largely irrelevant. 5/5 in your resource dump(Core Skill) is good.

cool, figured I was fine with just the one point there

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I have made it to 70 as a lighting sorcerer with no way of applying vulnerability. I can wipe out most things fairly easily because I have huge amounts of extra lightning damage, shock skill damage, lightning crit + bonus against stunned and crowd controlled, and my lightning spear and chain lightning stuns everything constantly, plus shitloads of crackling energy for constant extra damage and mana.

Bosses are another story, since they're pretty much all immune to stun. I rarely don't beat a boss first time but it takes ages, with my main source of damage being unstable currents which I can only pop once every 50 seconds.

Considering replacing lightning spear with frost nova but that removes my main stun tool. Hoping to find some gear that does vulnerability on lucky hit, if such a thing exists.

Skills: arc lash, chain lightning, teleport, frost armour, lightning spear, unstable currents and vyrs mastery. Could maybe lose teleport? I have some boots that add +3 dodges so it's no longer essential.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 28, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

cool, figured I was fine with just the one point there

You will probably want the two modifiers for the skill though, for clarity. They can do some vital things.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You will need at least a point in the first upgrade to get down to core skills

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Skills: arc lash, chain lightning, teleport, frost armour, lightning spear, unstable currents and vyrs mastery. Could maybe lose teleport? I have some boots that add +3 dodges so it's no longer essential.

Think carefully before ditching your only source of unstoppable. I have a similar build but bosses aren't a big deal, altho I do have something like 300% stun damage and another 90% to elites or something tho, so as soon as they posture break I can burn them out with unstable currents

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bus hustler posted:

Doing a non minion corpse explosion build and I'm not sure if it's faster at killing overall but it's crazy crazy tanky for WT3.

I just got tired of having to manage 12 loving minions who die constantly to strong mobs & bosses.

Yeah I was pretty hype on minions for a while but they just aren’t fun to manage in WT3.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Considering replacing lightning spear with frost nova but that removes my main stun tool. Hoping to find some gear that does vulnerability on lucky hit, if such a thing exists.

There isn't any affix like that, unfortunately. I see two options:

1) get the Aspect that makes Ice Armour grant unstoppable, then drop Teleport for Frost Nova and rely on evades for fast movement

2) remove Lightning Spear from the bar, so you'll only be casting it from procs from Unstable Currents (or the Stable Aspect, that lets X% of regular Shock skill casts trigger random shock skills - which if you can fit it in is a lot of fun for this playstyle) and replace it with Frost Nova

2a) keep enough points in LS for the stun upgrade, pry loose 3 points from somewhere else for the vulnerable upgrade for Frost Nova
2b) (which is basically my build) remove all the points from LS, get your stuns from Arc Lash or the Convulsion passive (on the tree branch next to Unstable Currents) - not as visibly reliable since this is a Chance On Lucky Hit, but it procs off _all_ your skills at the varying rates, rather than just when your LS is up and crits - in my experience I still stun fairly often, and of course you now have Frost Nova which is not bad at CC either

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 28, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I was pretty hype on minions for a while but they just aren’t fun to manage in WT3.

What levels are you? I'm wt3 level 66 and I can't remember the last time I lost a minion.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cheers, I'll have a play around. I do stun a fair bit anyway but LS is my far my most reliable stunner, but maybe I can drop it. Considering using the enchantment that makes it sometimes spawn when picking up crackling energy since I'm usually drowning in those orbs for the mana to keep CL going.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Horizon Burning posted:

one thing I Do Not Like is that unique can drop with power level below what you have equipped, so you can be like 'oh baby a unique' and then it's just not even worth equipping whatsoever. feels bad.

This happened in launch D3 and it fuckin sucked so they fixed it, I think in RoS. lmao

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

I love the idea but if they all die 12 corpses is insane to generate & reap for bosses when that could all be directly applied damage. I think I've maxed out their damage mitigation too.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Item level and affixes matter on weapons that have a damage range. I guess I'll be upgrading weapons before taking the sticker off.

bus hustler posted:

I love the idea but if they all die 12 corpses is insane to generate & reap for bosses when that could all be directly applied damage. I think I've maxed out their damage mitigation too.

Does focusing on armor (like disobedience) do anything for skellies survivability?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Rax dropped a new solo dungeon tier list. Blind Burrows still king if you just trying to blast.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm still really upset they messed up the Necro so bad. It's the class I always play. If minions can't do 98% of the content on their own, you messed up the Necro class. Someone came up with a good minion ice caster build but it was so drat boring and not at all what you want out of a pet class. I'm sure they'll get there, but releasing with minions as pure poo poo was so underwhelming. Having to waste hotbar slots on minions is ridiculous, also. At least let them stay summoned if you replace the hotbar icon with something else.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 28, 2023

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dallan Invictus posted:

There isn't any affix like that, unfortunately. I see two options:

1) get the Aspect that makes Ice Armour grant unstoppable, then drop Teleport for Frost Nova and rely on evades for fast movement

There's also the aspect that gives you unstoppable if you become injured while crowd controlled.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
The biggest problem with minions is the same problem that seemingly every ARPG has on release, which is that the minion AI is awful and it makes them bad/frustrating to use. I'm still seeing conflicting reports re: the minion paragon boards, but in some sense the numbers don't matter because the AI is so bad. This is why in other games they either give minions a massive, blanket damage reduction bonus, and/or they release a big AI improvement patch (PoE did this a long time ago IIRC), or give the players a way to control them (Grim Dawn, Last Epoch). I'm expecting to see this here at some point as well. The passive that prevents your minions from being one-shot is completely useless against a good portion of the enemy AoE effects (frost, fire, poison enchants especially) since they deal DoT or hit multiple times.

The 5 second delay on the bonus minion healing also sucks. 5 seconds is an eternity in an ARPG. It should definitely be faster, and/or the healing should come over time so I don't sit there and watch my minions die in the enormous amount of time between using my ability and the effect actually happening.

I'm certain they'll fix this as minions weren't totally terrible (eventually) in D3 and they made some nice improvements in D2R but it may be a season or two before minions are viable at the highest levels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

But what about the aspect that gives you fortified if you crowd control an injured enemy while vulnerable, on the second Tuesday of every month, with a twist.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RadioDog posted:

Ah thank you that's exactly what I was after. I started with LS/Stomp but could feel it drop off when I didn't find enough fury aspects at the time. I'd never even seen a resource+ ring until 70 or so. That's a good combination and looks fun.

Something I failed to consider and just noticed is that Ancient's Oath also adds a big slow to Steel Grasp, which procs Aspect of the Umbral's fury gen on crowd control application

https://i.imgur.com/XwLVNF7.mp4

Not bad considering I can do this every 7 seconds. I'm trying out the Weapon Master's Aspect for an additional charge of Steel Grasp and 30-50% chance to proc stun on Steel Grasp hit as well.

Trying out Ramaladni's Magnum Opus, so I figured I'd get a main hand sword to see how dual sword weapon mastery feels for Double Swing spam. Double Swing filling your fury on stunned/knocked down targets should pair perfectly with Edgemaster's Aspect.

I also moved some passive points into Prolific Fury since I am almost always berserking in combat. Considering all these different sources of fury generation I should get a lot of value from it.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 28, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

But what about the aspect that gives you fortified if you crowd control an injured enemy while vulnerable, on the second Tuesday of every month, with a twist.

That's freakin maintenance day!

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

sort of a dumb question but how soon/worth it is it to max out the level of your preferred Basic Skill

Greatstaff of the Crone is the only reason why I would consider doing this with both of the Basic Skills it does stuff to as a druid (afaik).

Philthy posted:

I'm still really upset they messed up the Necro so bad. It's the class I always play. If minions can't do 98% of the content on their own, you messed up the Necro class. Someone came up with a good minion ice caster build but it was so drat boring and not at all what you want out of a pet class. I'm sure they'll get there, but releasing with minions as pure poo poo was so underwhelming. Having to waste hotbar slots on minions is ridiculous, also. At least let them stay summoned if you replace the hotbar icon with something else.

The two hotbar slots I have to sacrifice for being a pretend Fishymancer instantly turned me off of minions. My necro is still low level, but once I realized that, I immediately sacrificed them for their passives. gently caress all that. Now I play Bone Spirit for funsies and 1-shot everything at low level with 1/3rd my essence generated. It nukes so hard.

Pellisworth posted:

i tried bear druid again last night and i changed my mind its actually very fun and cool to just hulk smash everything. this is without the cool aspects, even.

Pulverize in the shockwave forward on my 2h deals 189% more damage. I dropped the Bearslide stuff immediately and put those on rings so I could still clap trash while moving through stuff. I even considered putting the +2 to Earth Skills while Fortified on an ammy for +3. That's a lot of just raw base power with a 12/5 Pulverize with room to add more with better rolls. Dunno if it's worth though.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
i tried bear druid again last night and i changed my mind its actually very fun and cool to just hulk smash everything. this is without the cool aspects, even.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bus hustler posted:

With maxed Warrior/Mage mastery and the passive that makes so they can't lose more than 30% of their life in a single shot, I haven't had much trouble with losing them in T3 in anything other than certain boss fights.

But I'm also using Army of the Dead which eliminates the need to re-raise them all from corpses if things do go south. I don't generally like long cooldown ultimates on most builds, but doing a good amount of damage plus re-raising all my minions plus littering the field with corpses every 60 seconds is pretty drat good.

I did ditch the golem as he seemed kind of superfluous when I have a bunch of skeletons blocking for me and Corpse Tendrils for grouping stuff up/adding vulnerability.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zeg posted:

Greatstaff of the Crone is the only reason why I would consider doing this with both of the Basic Skills it does stuff to as a druid (afaik).

Arc Lash sorc too I think

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

Arc Lash sorc too I think

I saw a Ball Lightning dude last night and I want to use Arc Lash and Ball Lightning so bad :stare:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Immobilized/Stunned/Vulnerable all fall under the same "crowd control" designation, correct? Have a lot of items that offer synergy with that poo poo and I'd been rolling a lot of Storm skills lately

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think Vulnerable, no. Immobilized, Stunned, Slowed, maybe another weird one if there's another one.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
here's how to fix the current itemization problems:

remove vulnerable
add more damage buckets to the game

BOOM.

blizzard hire me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soonmot posted:

What levels are you? I'm wt3 level 66 and I can't remember the last time I lost a minion.

62. My issue wasn’t so much them dying as it was them running off, getting stuck in rooms, not holding aggro, and needing time between fights to heal up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Zeg posted:

I saw a Ball Lightning dude last night and I want to use Arc Lash and Ball Lightning so bad :stare:

It takes a while to get the build up and running but it’s really fun/stupid once it does.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Vulnerable is not crowd control but its own damage bucket that you should be exploiting with +vulnerable damage on rings and weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

American McGay posted:

I don't think Vulnerable, no. Immobilized, Stunned, Slowed, maybe another weird one if there's another one.

bleed