Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Irregardless of anything else. You and your partner have clearly shown the more dark side of trying to fully live on the road in one of these types of setups, and it's eye opening. I don't think this is just you being cursed, I think most people never realize how hard and rough it can be to actually do this, let alone the "influencers" that never show the difficult side let alone how much blood you've put in. You came in with a ton of previous experiences and tons of prep work and still have fought and bled to get this through, let alone how much you personally do no one else would think of regarding maintenance and checklists.

i think this is right on. last time i went on a jeeping trip, we ended up breaking one of the rigs and lost like 2 days dealing with it. small potatoes compared to the content in this thread, and mostly unrelated, but when i was complaining out loud about the crazy one-in-a-million failure we had experienced, i said something like "that never happens!" within earshot of the fabricator who was helping us extract some broken bolts. with a sigh, he said "this kind of thing happens all the time, but this time it happened to you." made me think.

anyway, most people go on camping trips and don't have any issues, and if they do it's just once or twice, or maybe they know a guy who knows a guy who blew up a motor once or whatever. statistically, those failures are distributed among a wide group, and nobody rolls the dice enough times to be personally bit by it. when you're out there fulltiming it, you roll the dice every day. maybe that one failure is one-in-a-million, but you have thousands of parts. you roll the dice enough times, and it'll happen to you. do it every day, and it'll seem like it happens all the time.

weekend warriors just don't put the kind of stress on the equipment that csb does, not because csb is unlucky, but because there are just that many more opportunities for something to go wrong. statistics always win in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Personally I was massively surprised the 550 was such a poo poo job at this, and it's been nothing but trouble.

Seems to me the rest of the 550 seems decent enough at the job, its just that the engine is a pig to work on and has a bunch of catastrophic flaws that kill it.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

My username isn't about a car that carries a curse. It's me that is cursed.
Dont feel bad, fords fall to pieces around me too. If anything they need to give you a brand new truck so they can take it apart after you break it to fix the weak points.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I know very little about vehicles in general so this thread has been an eye opener and educational!

As someone who loves the Sierras deeply, Bishop and a whole line of those towns can go gently caress themselves straight to hell. I love visiting the bakery and going fishing but couldnt stand living there for the reasons you gave. I had a good laugh because I recognized that road you stopped on and havent gone back up there to fish since I haven't had access to a 4x4 myself in years.

My late uncle used to live up north of there and we would just run into chuds all the time. Mammoth is fine but bougie as hell (with the prices that go with it, despite the town going bankrupt several times in my lifetime) and when fishing out of Crowley I never got a good feel for Tom's place but have no reason to think it's any different.

As someone who is torn between loving the land and ecology up there and hating the people who inhabit it, I deeply feel your pain and hope you and your partner find a better place to live that won't hate you for existing.

I also hope you find a good truck that can actually do its drat job and not fall apart. Do these exist? I legit don't know.

Thanks so much for the thread.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Basically I just have learned a lot from you here and it's been a wild ride. You've put up and fixed way more poo poo then I think many people would be able to. Jesus you did an engine swap in the street behind a drat uhaul in basically a day!

Fuckin’ this, a thousand times over. My fiancé wants something akin to a slide in or a trailer that has a heater and the like, where hopefully in 5ish years we’ll be able to be out on the road seeing and doing things a lot more often than nowadays. (Like, taking a few months off and driving up to Alaska and poo poo)
Seeing your heroics in keeping your rig(s) up and running has definitely given me a loooot to think about in what we want and how to think about what can actually go wrong.
And I DO mean heroics. That engine swap was something else. I always look forward to seeing posts in this thread. You’re doing Goon’s work out there.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’ve followed every CSB thread and post about the various RV projects since the Bus build. I’ve always appreciated the unvarnished view of the life those posts show, and despite some truly amazing experiences I know it’s not a path for me. That’s of incredible value, and I’m not sure how to explain that in words. Thank you somehow seems less then fair.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Nystral posted:

I’ve followed every CSB thread and post about the various RV projects since the Bus build. I’ve always appreciated the unvarnished view of the life those posts show, and despite some truly amazing experiences I know it’s not a path for me. That’s of incredible value, and I’m not sure how to explain that in words. Thank you somehow seems less then fair.

I think I missed an early one or two, but I'm always amazed at the depth of CSB's knowledge and resourcefulness, and eloquent posting. The amount of times where poo poo Breaks And It Sucks is glossed over by a lot of people and resources.

I'm also generally unsurprised and still saddened by the prevalence of lovely people, in businesses, towns, and out of the trails. :(

Still love the posts. And the amazing photos.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chaosfeather posted:

. Do these exist? I legit don't know.

Yes, but they require a significant support team. Maybe 5+ mechanics and another truck full of spare parts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SpeedFreek posted:

Dont feel bad, fords fall to pieces around me too. If anything they need to give you a brand new truck so they can take it apart after you break it to fix the weak points.

gently caress No I don't want a new Ford I am tired of Fording.

I'm not sure the truck I need exists. It's likely I'm just gonna go build it at this rate. I've a known good engine and a vin number to work with...
Going ex military has its own risks that I'm not sure I like. I can barely get parts for these lovely mass produced domestic pickups, nevermind something that came with a literal state level budget.

That engine swap still sits in the back of my head. I do not wish to revisit that with this 6.7. It was a holy hell of a job with a sparsely populated bricknose engine bay. I can't even sit under the hood of this truck. The only way to work on it is to assume the flying superman position over nearly 2 grand worth of decade old plastic cooling system. We both were bruised to hell and back and sore for days after this turbo swap. It's not something I want to do again without a shop.
The brick broke all the loving time and technically by the month, it cost more than this truck to run, but per mile, the 550 is a lot costlier to keep rolling despite being 22 years newer. When it does break this thing sinks its claws us into us pretty hard. It's difficult to deal with. I wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't my home.

To get to Goldfield from Bishop with snow everywhere involves some one lane roads in some spots.

Followed by many more two lane roads through parts of Nevada he and I have never been before.

I Visited Goldfield last in 2019 with the farm truck. Immediately after the turbo was installed and proven to not blow up. The town then is more or less the town now.
2019 and car henge.

Coming back in 2023, there's now a truck stop being built. The future highway 11 corridor is slated to run through this area. There's no services otherwise. The nearest "town" Is Tonopah, and the nearest real facilities is Reno or Pahrump.

Most of the lots here are 30 feet wide by 100 feet deep. Ideally I'd need to buy like four because of a 40x80 shop that's +/- required. I'd still need to buy my own mixer to pour the shops' two post lift pad.

An unusual place for a car of this magnitude.

I spy spare parts.

From here we stopped through Dyer to look at a slightly larger piece of dirt. It's a series of lots subdivided by a farmer and sold off. There's a huge farm nearby with a well likely deeper than anything I'll ever be able to afford to drill. The alluvial fan here where the water table is located is in the 500 - 1000' deep range. It's recharged by the mountain range but it's still around 100 grand to stab a well here. And the land is in the bowl of a basin. It looks like it floods. No Way.

Driving back to Bishop to deal with the elephant in the room.

A reminder of what the air management side of the engine looks like and where the turbo lies.

Drain the primary cooling system into a 5 gal bucket. Move it somewhere else.
Remove the intake tract and the CAC pipes.
The upper plastic intake had to come out with the lower intake. One of the bolts seized and snapped off halfway down. The plastic intake won't clear it.
The turbo inlet rubber boot clamps weren't tight.

The $80 CCV (think pcv) hose snapped. Of course. Luckily because I just dropped two grand on a turbo the Oreilly rewards covered this part.

With that out of the way. The turbo is visible.

Of course the VGT actuator connector is damaged. No I didn't buy another. The other tang snapped when I touched it. It's getting zipties.

The down pipe (scorpion head) put up a fight but it came out. The passenger bank Vband up top came right out because it was loose. The driver's side took an hour and a half to remove because the cab was off for this job last time and the vband nut is pointed square at the turbo.

The hole for whatever reason in the frame is really rich. I spent a lot of time sitting here wedged between the frame and wheel fighting the hotside plumbing.

About 4 hours in the turbo is extracted. The pedestal bolts are canted in at a 45ish degree angle. They have to come out in order to pull the turbo out. They are one time use. Looking them up, they're the same bolts used for a starter motor on a Taurus. I'm reusing them.

One of the vbands was loose, two of the four pedestal bolts were loose. Side note: The extra width of the flatbed is god-tier for piling parts on. Some fucker knew. I lucked out.

As suspected, it's real tight.
https://i.imgur.com/w503UKg.mp4

The oil supply screen looks fine.

The turbo gets its oil off of the main galley. (top left inset) There is no oil pressure gauge and the pcm reports a boolean for oil pressure. This is straight up junior level college bullshit in my opinion. With as much tech that's onboard this motherfucker should know what its goddamned oil pressure is. The oil supply line is a GM transmission style quick connect. I can't T into it on a road side to get pressure.

The VGT vanes won't move but the actuator is still in place so that's fine. it otherwise looks ok. The rear side bearing seems tighter.

The gaping hole where the turbo lived.

Place the new turbo in its home. Place the bolts but place them carefully. Drop the last one into the abyss. Remove the turbo. Fish it out. Start over without dropping bolts this time. Torque em down.
Pre oil the turbo using a syringe then install the new hardline. This step is extremely important.

The todo list:
Reconnect both Vbands and the downpipe.
The lower and upper intake needs to go back together. There's a bolt that needs to be replaced. Luckily it pulled out without needing to be drilled out. Good thing, weasel piss.
The electrical bits need to be plugged in.
Install CAC pipes
Install intake
Install CCV tubing
install airbox lid and inlet hose.
Vacuum fill the primary cooling system
Change the thousand-mile-old engine oil and filter
Reconnect the battery
Reset the learned values in the pcm
Initialize and start the truck.
if it doesn't explode, install the fender liner and monitor primary system coolant level while it comes up to temp.

Total so far is around 5 hours in.
End Day One.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 20, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

There is no oil pressure gauge and the pcm reports a boolean for oil pressure.

:stonk:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It's not that uncommon. Both my RX-8 and Cayenne have this as well. Just a pressure switch. It's loving annoying.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I am never owning another Ford unless it's under OEM warranty. :stonk: (or an older gasser). Doing plugs and having half of them shatter while also doing cam phasers at the same time on a 3V 5.4 looks downright pleasant in comparison.

I'm surprised a 550 didn't get a real oil pressure gauge. Doesn't surprise me on a Ranger or F-150, but heavy duty stuff? You need the read thing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 20, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

It's not that uncommon. Both my RX-8 and Cayenne have this as well. Just a pressure switch. It's loving annoying.

It's nearly everywhere. Oil pressure idiot lamps function the same way.
The brick has an oil pressure gauge. It was on a binary switch with a resistor to ballast the gauge to the mid point so it didn't scare old people.
I converted it using mustang parts. The flex pcb is failing on the cluster now so the gauge more often than not doesn't read. The idi's oil pump moves 18.3gpm so I don't care much.

The 6.7 is "smart" enough to know oil quantity* but not pressure. TBH on climbing I don't care about pressure much anyway. Temp matters more. Pressure is useful right now when I'm trying to run diagnostics but it's otherwise something I don't need outside of a boolean.

All of the gas engines have a "gauge". Whether or not its real I don't know. Diesels get a boost gauge in that position.

* I have a hypothesis it's using the change in temp over time at the cooler to determine oil volume. it's likely factoring in how hard the engine itself is being worked, calculated load, coolant temp sensors, egt/egr temp, live fuel burn, etc.

This of course doesn't work when the cooler is partially plugged like they're known to do.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
My brother loved that his 16 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 has a real oil pressure reading in the dash in PSI!*

*software calculated "estimate" oil pressure based on engine state and various data points, not an actual oil pressure reading

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Replacing the oil pressure sender on my 2011 F-150 with the Coyote 5.0 is on my list of "poo poo that needs doing". Apparently the diaphragm in the switch will start to go and leak oil into the connector/harness.

It'll occasionally get really frisky and the needle for the oil pressure gauge will jump back and forth between 0 and "in the middle", along with playing a "hey something's wrong" chime. Like it's throwing its own little rave.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheat is grounded.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Irregardless of anything else. You and your partner have clearly shown the more dark side of trying to fully live on the road in one of these types of setups, and it's eye opening. I don't think this is just you being cursed, I think most people never realize how hard and rough it can be to actually do this, let alone the "influencers" that never show the difficult side let alone how much blood you've put in. You came in with a ton of previous experiences and tons of prep work and still have fought and bled to get this through, let alone how much you personally do no one else would think of regarding maintenance and checklists.

Personally I was massively surprised the 550 was such a poo poo job at this, and it's been nothing but trouble. It does make me think that it's not just the fact you have it as a cab over, but that you'd be dealing with just as much issues if it was a towed camper to. For sure you've shown how many issues a cab over would be for basically any truck on the market due to weight and frame complications.

Basically I just have learned a lot from you here and it's been a wild ride. You've put up and fixed way more poo poo then I think many people would be able to. Jesus you did an engine swap in the street behind a drat uhaul in basically a day!

100% this. If CSB wasn't an experienced diesel tech and hard-headed bastard willing to fix anything that looks at him funny until it can't break again, this wouldn't even be doable, and my respect for him and his partner's ability to put up with sheer bullshit through no fault of their own is very high.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's this much of a pain in the rear end for those that stick to the pavement but this is pretty deep into 'what the actual gently caress'

Vbands on. Ziptied electrical connector in place. It's fine. The median for the turbo life on this piece of poo poo is ~25k-mi. I'll be back with a new connector in maybe 2 years.

Throw the LHC's worth of plumbing back together. See the turbo? I can't.

Use the venturi effect with an air compressor to pull a vacuum on the primary cooling system. Use the vacuum to pull coolant out of a 5 gallon bucket.

A job so well done you can't tell I was loving in here. I loathe the kind of jobs where expensive brand new parts are utilized and can't even be seen after the fact.

Change the engine oil.
Reconnect batteries.
Reset adaptives.
Start it and babysit the boolean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO1e6kgBvVY

9 hours all in. The truck is running a lot quieter now with no noises. It's always had turbo noises. Guess I bought it with a blown turbo. loving hell. Just Ford Things.
The toilet valve is leaking just enough to cause the potable water pump to run. he spun the flex hose connector slightly and it quit.
Since we're nearly out of water, off to a local campground to resupply and get the gently caress out of this town. We were here for nine days and the truck was down for eight of them. It's going to be a while before I'm ready to come back.

One last water crossing. Don't worry, I polished the lower oil pan to make sure I wasn't contaminating the stream.

Get to the local campground, plug everything in. Flip both water heater elements on. I'm gonna take a nice long shower.
Let my hair down so to speak, the job is done, its working again. Sure my hair has been gone for about 15 years now but that's beside the point.
There's a loud bang in the bathroom and water is gushing out from behind the toilet. The valve he cinched up? It exploded. The threads totally let go. The valve can be had on Bezos Bazaar of Bullshit for some trivial amount of money, but not in this town, Truckee is the closest locker. Guess we're heading that way.
I jumped out of the back, three feet down, and cut the water supply. The leak persisted for all of ten maybe fifteen seconds. It was enough though.
When we built this rig back in 2020 we installed ball valves loving everywhere in the plumbing system. Because we knew this day would eventually come. It came. After a really lovely week naturally. Close the toilet valve but not the bidet valve, the toilet still works using the bidet. I can still shower. The galley is still operational.
Be nice to future you, they're having a really poo poo time.

Tacos around the corner are $20 per 3. I'm getting a burrito. Tomorrow; we climb.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Ngl on mobile the turbo looks like a kids toy you took out of a playmobile and are putting in the engine. Just looks like lovely shiny plastic instead the turbo is just made of lovely plastic from Ford!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Christ, that seriously looks like you're trying to work on a PSD in an Econoline chassis. That engine bay is just stupid short for a truck, I can't even see the engine except for part of one valve cover.

How many gallons of lube, and how many industrial size shoehorns, did it take Ford to get that fucker in there at the factory?

cursedshitbox posted:

A job so well done you can't tell I was loving in here. I loathe the kind of jobs where expensive brand new parts are utilized and can't even be seen after the fact.

That's my preferred kind of job. Yeah, I'd rather pierce my dick again vs do that work, but I'd rather everything be back in its place "good nuff" to where it looks like I never touched the drat thing. Which is sometimes better than when it left the factory.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 21, 2023

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

randomidiot posted:

How many gallons of lube, and how many industrial size shoehorns, did it take Ford to get that fucker in there at the factory?

Technically they put the cab on last, the motor fits just fine on the frame. Whatever you're trying to do on them go ahead and pencil in a few extra hours of punching yourself in the dick unless you have a lift and feel like replacing a $lol amount of coolant and other poo poo. I'm very, very impressed with the turbo replacement given the scenario.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They start with an engine then build the entire truck around it.

The dual rads and such are designed to lift off with the cab. there's a cradle that encompasses the inner fenders and core support.

In a lot of case it's a few hours to r&r the cab. Most techs opt for a partial removal. Leave the back cab bolts, pull the others, leave the electrical interconnects and such in place.
This is the recommended course of action for doing a turbo on a 6.7. I did not have this luxury.

Here's another engine swap but with only partially lifting the cab. It's theoretically possible to repower without pulling the cab but it s u c k s.

The pass valve cover is buried below the egr valve. That VC also has coolant and the intake running through it. The entire high pressure system sits over both valvecovers. They're not easy to see or get at from above. Pulling the passenger side battery box makes it possible to do injectors/glowplugs/fuel system parts.
In the engine shot where the turbo is out you can barely see the CP4 hidden in the valley. Most of the same parts have to come out to gain access to it. The IP is timed to the engine because ford is doing gently caress gently caress games with the stroke of the IP's high pressure pistons vs injection timing sequences. I don't have those tools and would be springing for them should I ever need to do this poo poo.

Dick related, after all this I want a 0 gauge PA. Probably from melted down stainless one time use vbands. It wouldn't hurt compared to the pain this 6.7 can dish. I hurt for days after this and was covered in bruises. This was not a job to field on a road side.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Not a truck person but very evo problems energy. Designing a vehicle to only be maintained with access to a 2 post lift should be a crime. I get the beauty of the engineering of how drivetrain meets chassis but gently caress, it's only going to happen once and the rest of us have to live with it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Joke answer - jacks on the cab so you can lift it off in the field.

I know the real answer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Attach stable lift truck camper jacks where the running boards would go to put your Ford product into Ford Service Mode when away from the conveniences of the less than honest dealer.
These things:

From a craigslist ad for a used turbo. They too, pulled their cab.

(side note, the 350 gets weedy rear end front radius arms compared to the mdt)

I worked on a fleet of 6.0hno econolines back in the day. I couldn't take the cabs off to do psd things because the cab and the box were connected. They really sucked to work on but the 6.7 is somehow worse.

I would take this again any day. At least I can sit in the floor between the seats and pull the turbo, intake, hpop, oil cooler, egr valve, and get into the heads.

This means for the large million dollar integrated overlanders that's seen bopping around affluent urban areas have no possible way to effect field repairs in the remotest areas like their marketing materials protray. There's no way these things can ever leave the safety of their dealer network which is a trope to their name. The cabs are fused to the upfit. There's no good way to deal with major mechanical problems other than "well gently caress the poor fucker working on it".

I've thought a lot about how an integrated overlander with cab over bunk and cab over cab would work together. My best idea was to use part of a roll back's sliding frame to shift the upfit backwards to then tilt the cab to gain access. It's all heavy and kind of rude but it would maintain a low vertical profile.

The real answer is that of the domestic manufacturers, if it doesn't have a tilt forward hood its bullshit.
Serviceability. Serviceability in the field. Serviceability in less than desirable conditions. This is important to keep in mind. Jacking cabs and vacuum bleeding cooling systems is not the right way.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo your right. You brought it up before but a lot of the uplifters weld and otherwise make it impossible to remove the cab. Doing any degree of work may not be feasible with how those trucks are.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Onward the hell out of this area of CA.

You what? How hosed was this thing?

No codes, monitors set. Was getting up to 30psi boost while it sorted its thing. Also getting compressor surge for whatever reason.

It pulled down just under 10mpg which is near what the 7.3 also pulled down on this same stretch. I'll take it.

Somewhere near nowhere, Lyon County, NV.

It's apparently relatively popular.

With the truck fuckling behind us we decided to spend the day out hiking and looking at old mines. Specifically, the Wheeler mine.

The mine has a cemetery at the top of the hill.

The view around the cemetery. Peaceful.

Down the really really narrow and steep drive a few outbuildings come into view. They're in surprisingly good shape. One looked a lot like housing, and was partially flooded since this area is in a wash.

Equipment barn of some kind. There were no spare 6.7 turbos in here.

Inside the lower level, it's flooded numerous times.

The upper level was surprisingly intact. The floors are a little soft in some spots.

Down the hill is what appears to be the management building.

Why I think it's management.
The paint is still green. The lower wall and flooring trim is incredibly good shape. The eaves of the building are far nicer than anything else I usually find abandoned. Someone gave a poo poo.

The stamp is just around the corner. I couldn't reach the wheel. It's mostly intact.

It's remarkable to find heavy fixtures like this left behind and not scrapped at some point.

Onward towards Verdi, again.

This would be an excellent moto road.

Driving towards storage I see this classic with race numbers on it out in the wild.

The threads now to 4/27/2023.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Reading this thread gave my truck EGR cooties again.

I think I might be done with the Powerstroke bromance. I was hoping to see 200k miles on it but little sports cars are looking really interesting all of a sudden.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hah what is it doing? 6.7?

Camped near Fallon Station, NV. Adjacent to a Naval Range.

it's about half an hour to Fallon. Good for supplies and doing laundry, etc.
It's a quaint trumpy little backwater sporting the usual stickers of 'lock her up' etc. I'm not here for those morons.

I'm here for the holes in the ground.

There's a lot of interesting stuff around. Some of it bikable.
Checkover and ready to tear up the trails

Since running by storage I converted the beater from flatties to road clipless. It surprisingly makes hill descents and climbs a lot less janky, despite being roadie equipment from when I last was a roadie; 2015.

Some deep sand too.

Never ate poo poo despite riding on road clipless. Pretty much means I'm too slow to break myself, ala 7.3.

Speaking of broken. A Toyota doing a Ford thing.

Old abandoned mines, our jam.

wtf there's an airbnb here

The headstock is surprisingly intact.

Mercury mine

Anybody that says the desert is void of any life is wrong.

The hike to this mine was pretty much pointless. It went straight down.

Turning around might help show why it's pointless.

Good thing I'm fat.

There's a cluster of mines in the distance. We want to visit the hill and see what's about.

Except...

The mountain? It's gone.

Rawhide pulls 45,000 Gold Equivalent Ounces per year from where this mountain once stood.

Since 1990 they've pulled 1.96MM GEOs.

But we have cool rock formations and striations near home.

The striations near home.

Desert rains.

On leaving the brand new turbo is now making noise. Everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OBBPVjN3U
Its resonance is louder the deeper below 55F it is. Over 60ish there is no noise. It goes away once it warms up. Surely it's nothing.
The compressor surge is now gone. Fuel economy is back around upper 8s, low 9s, but with all the hills, I'll allow it.

Random spot along the original Pony Express.

May the Seventh.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Camped near Fallon Station, NV. Adjacent to a Naval Range.

it's about half an hour to Fallon. Good for supplies and doing laundry, etc.
It's a quaint trumpy little backwater sporting the usual stickers of 'lock her up' etc. I'm not here for those morons.

I'm here for the holes in the ground.

There's a lot of interesting stuff around. Some of it bikable.
Checkover and ready to tear up the trails

Since running by storage I converted the beater from flatties to road clipless. It surprisingly makes hill descents and climbs a lot less janky, despite being roadie equipment from when I last was a roadie; 2015.

Some deep sand too.

Never ate poo poo despite riding on road clipless. Pretty much means I'm too slow to break myself, ala 7.3.

Speaking of broken. A Toyota doing a Ford thing.

Old abandoned mines, our jam.

wtf there's an airbnb here

The headstock is surprisingly intact.

Mercury mine

Anybody that says the desert is void of any life is wrong.

The hike to this mine was pretty much pointless. It went straight down.

Turning around might help show why it's pointless.

Good thing I'm fat.

There's a cluster of mines in the distance. We want to visit the hill and see what's about.

Except...

The mountain? It's gone.

Rawhide pulls 45,000 Gold Equivalent Ounces per year from where this mountain once stood.

Since 1990 they've pulled 1.96MM GEOs.

But we have cool rock formations and striations near home.

The striations near home.

Desert rains.

On leaving the brand new turbo is now making noise. Everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Nothing at all. Nothing at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-OBBPVjN3U
Its resonance is louder the deeper below 55F it is. Over 60ish there is no noise. It goes away once it warms up. Surely it's nothing.
The compressor surge is now gone. Fuel economy is back around upper 8s, low 9s, but with all the hills, I'll allow it.

Random spot along the original Pony Express.

May the Seventh.

You've had them for a while now. If you were doing it again, would you just use the lay-flat solar panels instead of putting ones on top? Or just put much bigger ones on top?

How are you liking the combo of big truck to get there and homebase, jeep to jeep and bicycle to ride around on?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
tbh? heat pump and get the big heckin aircon unit off the roof. Lay it all in solar. Delete the cranky generator and put the heat pump there. Air handler where the furnace once was.
Now there's better options out there technology wise for panels. The roof of this rig isn't suitable in its current condition. The raised section on the bunk is a relic of the 80s when this unit was originally designed and it's kind of a hindrance.
CIGS. Copper Indium Gallium Selenide based panels. They're flexible too. With an aluminum (or fiberglass!) roof I could adhere them to the structure and reduce the amount of leak points and weight up there.
Btw we're about 3 years at the maximum from needing to strip the roof and rebuild it. The underlayment is a total disaster that was hosed up by whoever was paid to redo the roof. I quit climbing up there when I approached 50lb heavier than him. With a 20lb delta I'm still leery of damaging the roof.

The jeep is a lifesaver. Its our only reliable vehicle in a fleet of 5 + 2 at this point. It reduces the stress I impart on the camper by taking it places I shouldn't trying to find a place to park it. It bails the truck out when it breaks every other coffee induced dump. It gets bike parts when that too breaks. Laundry, groceries, general supplies, all much easier now. I don't have to park the rig at grocery stores and laundromats. This is extremely risky with breakins and such, which we've been fortunate. Now I can park over an hour away in an extremely remote spot and use the four letter swear word. It's also put on 20k-miles since we got it last September. (as of today) I think it needs brakes again and it broke down once, literally yesterday for a dumb relay. I'm a little annoyed with the miles its racking but that's literally what its for.

The 550 has some reduction in capability from the 350 in where it can go. It's lower, on smaller tires, and a lot, lot, wider. Without a winch. We play it a lot safer with this truck than the old one. It's a 'get it there and drop anchor till we're nearly out of water' then use the jeep for literally everything else. I loathe that I don't ride as much as I did in 2021. Every time I get back into it something breaks, myself included.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Donut released a video about an F550 glam camper, really looks like 7 figures gets you a lovely terrible experience, your setup looks a *billion* times more pleasing and capable and comfortable.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

2011 6.7 and I'm so done with it I can't even imagine how mad you've been at these things. I haven't beat on it even half as hard as you and it is just eating itself. I had the EGR cooler fixed by Ford in the twilight of that service bulletin and it's just been downhill every month. The transmission is starting to act suspect and ran real hot for no reason today. I'm torn about selling it but I feel like every time I turn the key I'm playing with a really further expensive grenade.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Donut released a video about an F550 glam camper, really looks like 7 figures gets you a lovely terrible experience, your setup looks a *billion* times more pleasing and capable and comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3uQcxdyAA0

lol yeah, this is somehow way way worse then CSB and how much effort hes put in. that camper is loving rocking back and forth as its driving and when they go offroad you see the entire pass through start cracking.

Oh my god the camper shell is just a terrible thing and is all over the place flexing the frame doing anything.

edit, they broke the loving drive shaft and then the front drive train, and then had to roll this loving behemoth down the hill

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 1, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That truck's been a bit internet famous recently.

A few weeks ago journalist David Tracy came across it broken down and wrote an article: https://www.theautopian.com/i-found-a-1-million-rv-abandoned-off-road-heres-how-it-failed/

Then Matt from Matt's Off Road Recovery apparently ended up hacking together a driveshaft on site to get it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lha1PmfRAvw

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I think we should have another Community Showcase and it's long overdue a CSB thread is it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey, this thread looks fun! I bet it's filled with stories of adventure and mechanical items conquering all and never failing!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wolrah posted:

That truck's been a bit internet famous recently.

It's almost like a bunch of people with no engineering experience built that thing.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

But enough about Ford :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

2011 6.7 and I'm so done with it I can't even imagine how mad you've been at these things. I haven't beat on it even half as hard as you and it is just eating itself. I had the EGR cooler fixed by Ford in the twilight of that service bulletin and it's just been downhill every month. The transmission is starting to act suspect and ran real hot for no reason today. I'm torn about selling it but I feel like every time I turn the key I'm playing with a really further expensive grenade.

insufficient flow codes?
The 6R140 uses variable bleed solenoids each with a unique id like the engine's injectors. when it starts acting up it's time to do the conductor plate. It's a clutch to clutch transmission, ignoring the symptoms of an out of spec solenoid will frag a clutch. '11-12MYs are especially prone to solenoid problems.
For it to run hot....
Run. I don't think it runs thermostatic controls on the cooler like the engine does and it hangs off the secondary cooling system.
(this one has yet to ever get warmer than left of dead center, despite my efforts, not that it runs long enough to matter)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think we should have another Community Showcase and it's long overdue a CSB thread is it.

:ohdear: Welcome new readers. This is a cautionary tale about how it's possible to break everything everywhere all at once. Here we are doing heroic fixes with nice vistas so that the thread can break down at the next vista. Do not be me. This thread is not inspiration.

Ooookay that F550.
It's at gvr. If not more. Despite being a 19,500lb gvr truck.
poirpose poirpose poirpose Yeah that's a great way to toss the plates in the top cabinet clean into the next county. (side note what's with the boom tube speakers near the aircon unit)
Note that its side to side rocking is bottoming the overloads out. This fucker is heavy. Top heavy.
The upfit moves so much that one or the other will give. This kind of force will destroy the vehicle in short order. As they did in the video.

F|R weight bias is jacked up. There's no steering authority on hills.
There's a lot of wheelspin going on, regardless it shouldn't have pretzled the driveline. That thing is heavy.
Fords literature indicates that with the F600 the rear driveline is redesigned for the 22k gvr. This likely has something to do with it. (the frames for the high payload 550 and 600 afaik are the same, the low payload 550 is not)

I don't know how the upfit is attached. The 350 would do this too. If it's anything mounted near like mine, that truck is going to break itself. The narrow frames aren't heat treated by design to allow maximum compatibility with upfitters.

Observe. Prior to the frame break.

Post frame reinforcement in ND, frame break #2 and bed subframe failure.

From David Tracy's article, the CEO of Earthroamer.

quote:

In our opinion, to have a wheel bearing failure on a 2022 chassis would be due to a gross exceedance of the rear axle rating of 14,706lbs. We have seen the pictures of the 30A Ascender pulling a large ski boat and would never recommend that to our customers. We have never been able to see actual weights of the 30A Ascender, but would not be surprised if it exceeds GVWR when fully outfitted with water and gear.

I completely agree. Which is also indicated by the above loss of steering authority. I bet the upfit on this is actually unloading the front axle and placing the load on the rear. Like a giant class 1 lever.
Its upfit weeble wobbles like the 350 did when I broke it the first half dozen times.

I've seen a string of failures with the Dana S110/130/M300 axle, running extremely heavy, and the 42s. With the duals the load is centered over the massive bearings. Going super single, does this, loading the races in incorrect ways. Those tires are rated for 68mph. The G275 is rated for 81mph. That's a lot of rotational speed on incorrectly loaded bearings. I do not think that a wheel bearing failure would have caused the driveline to fail. It's a full float axle.

The upfit.
WTF with the entry door. Could it be any cheaper? Nice 16 combo entry lock too. Real secure.
Angled solar so you're always putting the aircon unit in the sun to get the best angle for your panels. Why.
The galley is designed to be as useless as possible for meal prep. Probably helicoptering in doordash anyway.
Ditch the step down for the tub sink ffs. Why.
The aircon unit in the rear is sitting at like a 35 degree angle. The casting-sand lubricated dometic compressor will love that.
At least bother to put the two burner cooktop in square so it lines up with the wall.
The integration UI is uhh... have they ever used what they built?
Child sized bed? get outta heah.

Lastly.
This reminds me of This.

Ya'll fuckers need to get your poo poo together and hire an engineer.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 1, 2023