Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

I need to horde the shiny weapons from the underground

im not convinced this is a universal requirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

what if you. dropped from the skylands onto a horse

I have no idea if this works, but it's probably less rude to jump off a flying island to your death than to see some moblins kill some horsies and have no power to stop them because there's an invisible wall between you and the action.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mymla posted:

It also indirectly fucks with the exploration part of the game, because instead of finding useful items like pieces of heart or materials you can use to permanently upgrade your permanent weapons, you find Traveler's Claymore #78, which half the time you don't even bother picking up because it's a downgrade. This was a bigger problem in botw, but even in totk, most chests are pretty disappointing.

I agree this is a problem, but I don't think durability is the cause. The non linear nature of the game means that nothing can give unique rewards (like the classic Zelda items) or else some things would naturally require it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mycot posted:

I agree this is a problem, but I don't think durability is the cause. The non linear nature of the game means that nothing can give unique rewards (like the classic Zelda items) or else some things would naturally require it

But they do give out unique rewards, like armors, sometimes. I just think there's too many chests to do it every time, which is a symptom of the game's scale. That they can put consumables in the chests is a parallel problem. Even if there was no weapon durability and the chests gave out something else it would be the same issue. getting 1 peice of heart of exciting. Getting your 150th piece is a chore.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Yeah, to some extent lackluster rewards are just a symptom of being an open world game. Elden Ring had unbreakable weapons but that didn't mean every item you found was a unique and interesting reward, it meant that sometimes you made your way to one of the shiny rare item orbs and it gives you x5 of a crafting item or something.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fangz posted:

If the game didn't have weapon durability, the "tedium of replacing weapons" (i.e. walking over any weapon and pressing A) would just be swapped out with the tedium of constantly comparing your held weapons with whatever is dropped to see if it's better, constantly going to shops to clear out inventory, and 10x more inventory juggling.

If you don't want the problem of useless weapon drops, then you are really demanding no weapon drops altogether, only upgrades/currency as rewards for killing enemies. This means a loss of combat variety (which is especially problematic because that's the entire point of the fuse mechanic) and also big issue with encouraging grinding. If every combat encounter gave you a heart piece or a permanent increase to attack power, the power curve (and difference between a completionist and someone just casually exploring) would be freaking insane.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm asking for, that sounds great. Maybe have the few weapon types that exist spaced out in the dungeons like in previous games, or maybe just have them all in the great tutorial area. I'm not sure what "combat variety" would be lost, since the game doesn't really have any more weapons than any other zelda game. 1h sword, 2h sword, spear, bow and magic wands pretty much cover the entire moveset you have to work with in this game.
You could even keep the fuse mechanic to an extent, if you want the player to be able to say, swap out a spearhead for an elemental version.

And yeah obviously upgrades need to be paced out in a sustainable manner in order to not break the power curve, but this is a problem that exists in the game right now because black/silver enemies start appearing after just a few hours and their horns immediately obsolete everything that appears before them. It's actually pretty annoying, because I need a bunch of green lizalfos tails to upgrade my armor and I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't black or silver.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not as much of a deal as you think

Yeah I was pretty mad when I heard they kept durability but it's really not been much of a problem. The game loving showers you in weapons and fuse material. It sucks worst early on when everything is scarce and you break your only good weapon and have to drop down to a 2 damage tree branch or whatever. But you reach a point where you're leaving decent items to rot cause your inventory is full.

I do wish fuse was less clunky to use. I die a lot during combat trying to fuse something and a mob clobbers me while I'm fumbling with 5 different buttons

HootTheOwl posted:

One thing I learned in BOTW, that I relearned here in TOTK is: You don't have to engage with every monster who aggros you. It's a much bigger deal earlier in the game where just about everything kills you in one shot, and it's pretty annoying in the depths when you stumble across a boss between you and that lightroot you're chasing, but you can (and I do) just runaway from most monsters because they're not worth the rust on my blade.

I do this pretty often if I don't feel like dealing with a bunch of stupid rear end bokoblins hollering at me in return for a rusty claymore. You can avoid most combat if you don't feel like it

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HootTheOwl posted:

But they do give out unique rewards, like armors, sometimes. I just think there's too many chests to do it every time, which is a symptom of the game's scale. That they can put consumables in the chests is a parallel problem. Even if there was no weapon durability and the chests gave out something else it would be the same issue. getting 1 peice of heart of exciting. Getting your 150th piece is a chore.

Bingo. See the earlier discussion where I was strongly resistant to increasing the density of content in the Depths.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I swear the 'undecayed' weapons from the Depths still break pretty quickly

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ImpAtom posted:

Weapon durability in TotK encourages you to play around with different weapons and fusions. Having ine weapon you upgrade means you would upgrade one weapon to max and never touch anything else.

Yeah, like you just get one Gerudo Scimitar, Silver Lynel horn, and rampage over everyone. Permanent is no good, but I do wish that the base durability was higher. And that the Master Sword would passively regen durability over time instead of needing to break completely.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I saw a video that said all weapons, (except wooden and rusty ones) all have the same base durability and adding a fusion item (except a bone) will always add 25. But I haven't tested to confirm/deny. I know it feels like that shouldn't be true.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, like you just get one Gerudo Scimitar, Silver Lynel horn, and rampage over everyone. Permanent is no good, but I do wish that the base durability was higher. And that the Master Sword would passively regen durability over time instead of needing to break completely.

Maybe make only the fusions break? You'd still need some super fusions for Lynels and bosses whatever but you'd still be able to mow down some stock moblins who became damage spounges.
But honestly, if I do a super involved process to get a super powerful weapon, I'm OK with just having the best weapon for the rest of the game. You can mitigate this by having mobs that need spear attacks, lean heavier on elemental needs, but undoing that effort in 50 or so hits is a punishment, imo, because it took more than that to get it to begin with.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just fused whatever I had to whatever was around. If I was feeling fancy I'd make sure the hilt gave it a moveset I like (either polearm or 2-hander). If I was feeling really fancy I'd buy a Biggoron sword for pennies and give it something really dumb lookin and that regularly lasted 3-4 boss battles before it was even flashing. For probably half my playthrough I was using whatever construct horn I had the most of with whatever zonai weapon base I last stumbled across. Tier 3 attack food is also +50% durability to weapons at the end of the day and the game buries you in bananas.

After I got the master sword and didn't have to save a spot for a throwaway rock breaker now that I had a regenerating one it got even easier.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Yeah I gave it a go but it never felt worth the effort, especially since after a bit of exploring you can just buy way better stuff down there. Probably worth it if you wanna play one hander because you're doing the minimum damage possible per swing and thus churning through durability but I will always use the biggest, highest damaging weapons I can find no matter how bad an idea it is.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Could use some more non-slot weapons. Like I hate using a slot for a torch, for example, since that’s really more tool.

Also need a freebie slot for a honeycomb fusion. Cause always need to have the ability to shoot bees at moblins.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
weapon durability is good

I beat a flux construct in the depths and had finally understood that the point of the grinder thing they drop is to fuse to a weapon. Fortunately I had a zonaite longsword so I fused the three grinder to my zonaite longsword to create a v strong weapon

I was flying around the sky later and I saw a construct walking around and I fell out of the sky, bonked it on it's head and spin attacked it before it's health bar could even appear

felt amazing. Now if I had just saved my super strong weapon for a more threatening foe like the obsessives do I would never have had that fun moment. Makes u think

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Combat in these games is far better when it's just finding a way to set up an always satisfying spin to win. Starting a spin at the head of a Frox and one cycling it by just spinning down the length of its body was always just the best feeling

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

HootTheOwl posted:

I need them for upgrading the armors! You never know when the great faerie will ask for them!
Or maybe there's a tallus over that next hill and I'll get something better and I'll look like an idiot for fusing a blue moblin horn just to break it off.
Or some elixir recipe I just haven't discovered yet
Or I could just want to sell it (but also can't because the above)

Functionally I found that the entire process in Totk was a clunkier version of Botw durability.

The White Lynel horn I get is the best item in the game pretty much no matter what, so it's just as valuable as the Lynel swords I was picking up last time. So I'm going to try to preserve its usage for something big the same way I did in Botw.

Except now I also need to find a hilt that isn't terrible for the thing because fusing that horn to a stick instead of a Gerudo sword / Zora Spear is also a huge waste.

And then there's the combat flow disruption where if you electrocute a dude and they drop their weapon, the weapon itself is dogshit, so you've lost what i felt was a cool part of Botw which was stealing a dude's flame sword and battering him with it.

Of course all of this ceases to be relevant when:

You realise that Rocktoroks mend weapons they eat every blood moon, so my 140 power spear is now just permanent.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The oddest thing about a world that’s so very open like this is that when I got to the final boss I felt both overpowered and like I’d experienced 20% of the game.
Died to the boss once because I was trying to be cool and use nothing other than parties.

I think Elden Ring is the only thing that’s nailed that sort of levelling progression so far, although at the end of that I had been to 95% completion and it was still took me around six hours to beat the last boss at the end.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mymla posted:

I need a bunch of green lizalfos tails to upgrade my armor and I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't black or silver.

They sell them at Kara Kara Bazaar.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I'm not really a fan of durability but I don't mind it much either. However, fusing made it much more fun. I definitely think the hate for it from some people can be way overblown. Like, I thought Stephanie Sterling's review score was fine and good actually but their focus on durability instead of the other problems in the game was annoying.

My main problem with durability is that I strongly disagree with the idea it encourages experimentation. If anything I think it can do the opposite even if it's partially a mental issue on my part. Instead of experimenting, for most encounters I usually ended up using whatever weapon I didn't mind losing as opposed to a weapon I thought would be more fun or appropriate.

Also, I didn't go out of my way to find weapons but in my playthrough I found myself having too many 2-handers and barely any spears, which also limits combat I feel. And eventually finding weapons just becomes kinda pointless -- do I drop this fused 2-hander for another that has like 5 extra damage? Or for a weak spear that does little damage but at least I'll have a spear? Also it's annoying not picking up a replacement and then your next encounter discover that the weapon was only two hits from being in the red -- really should give more exact info on how much durability is left.

I'd much prefer having, say, 16 unique weapons with their own effects that work like the master sword needing to recharge. You could get one from finishing each of the regions and also from exploring and long side quests. It would make finding weapons more rewarding and i could use the fierce deity sword without worrying about replacing it (even if it's pretty cheap and easy).

Also you wouldn't be able to carry all of them at once, you'd have to choose what to carry based on preference and the situations you're in.

This is just wishful thinking of course. Even just increasing the length of durability would be a nice improvement.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 28, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Giggy posted:

My main problem with durability is that I strongly disagree with the idea it encourages experimentation. If anything I think it can do the opposite even if it's partially a mental issue on my part. Instead of experimenting, for most encounters I usually ended up using whatever weapon I didn't mind losing as opposed to a weapon I thought would be more fun or appropriate.

Yeah I can agree with this, and also that it's my own hangup rather than inherent in the system. Outside of bosses, every encounter I'm looking for the shittiest weapon I can get through this with so I don't break something "important". It gives me great anxiety when my 6 year old plays and is like "Imma use this 70 damage gloom spear to kill chu chus and skeletons"

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Hey, kid knows what they like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Use your drat megaelixirs

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
im not an endgame cowboy but at least where I'm at it seems like 80% of weapon damage comes from the monster part?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
WHAT

+attack food gives weapon durability?!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

In that it takes fewer swings to kill something than it would without the attack bonus.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

dodgeblan posted:

im not an endgame cowboy but at least where I'm at it seems like 80% of weapon damage comes from the monster part?

There is definitely a point where you’re fusing 40-50 dmg monster parts to 10-15 dmg weapons. You can get better base weapons (minor spoiler): When you break an un-fused weapon in the overworld, you have a chance to find a pristine version of the weapon later in the Depths at those pillars with ghosts holding a weapon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zack Ater posted:

In that it takes fewer swings to kill something than it would without the attack bonus.

Oh yeah huh

Hmm

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I tend to just use weapons one at a time until they break, with a rock hammer for mining and stalfos/chuchus, so I don't end up with an inventory full of low-medium durability weapons.

dodgeblan posted:

For a basic common example, a royal claymore has 14 base damage but can randomly roll more, up to I think 21? And a silver bokoblin horn adds 31 damage, so not quite 80% most of the time, but yeah the monster part is definitely more important than the weapon's base damage.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Frankly, I haven't experimented a whole lot with monster parts on weapons because I encountered a lot of black/silver bokoblins relatively early on and when I'd need weapons most I'd often bump into construct enemies so I'd just fuse their horns onto whatever base I had. Plus, yeah, I'm kinda hoarding stock to upgrade armor sets.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's more like with the really big endgame weapons:

Gloom weapons have 40 power or so and you're adding 40 power monster parts.

Lightscale Trident is 22 base but doubles its own and whatever is attached to it's attack power when wet, which is trivial to apply with Sidon. So Effectively the weapon gives 44 power + whatever the monster part is in power when wet. So the Trident with a 40 power part would effectively be giving 84 attack power.

Scimitar of the Seven is 28 base but doubles whatever is attached to it without a condition. So with a 40 power part, the scimitar is essentially granting 68 power

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mymla posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm asking for, that sounds great. Maybe have the few weapon types that exist spaced out in the dungeons like in previous games, or maybe just have them all in the great tutorial area. I'm not sure what "combat variety" would be lost, since the game doesn't really have any more weapons than any other zelda game. 1h sword, 2h sword, spear, bow and magic wands pretty much cover the entire moveset you have to work with in this game.
You could even keep the fuse mechanic to an extent, if you want the player to be able to say, swap out a spearhead for an elemental version.

I turned off durability halfway through my playthrough and rocked the dope rear end amiibo weapons the whole time and it was such a better experience.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What do you mean you "turned off" durability

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ImpAtom posted:

You will have 9.2 billion horns. You don't need to horde

I do, though.

I did a strange advancement direction I guess where I have very little armor. I explored all over for shrines and I'm now fighting silver enemies while I have bad armor and not having the components to upgrade them, because I've been using them on my disposable weapons.

The enemies I need to kill either take a billion hits or I need to use the components the enemies drop to kill them making collecting really slow while they kill me in two hits. With 16 hearts.

The decaying weapons just seems to hit a point for me where it's adding to the grind without really making it more fun, it just making it artificially last a lot longer.

I still like the game, I just think this was the worst part of it so far. That and cash seems really scarce.

I'm also playing with no spoilers so I really don't have any good armor sets collected. I'm finding things randomly all over.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HootTheOwl posted:

I need them for upgrading the armors! You never know when the great faerie will ask for them!
Or maybe there's a tallus over that next hill and I'll get something better and I'll look like an idiot for fusing a blue moblin horn just to break it off.
Or some elixir recipe I just haven't discovered yet
Or I could just want to sell it (but also can't because the above)

or you should chill and just play the video game

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i wonder if people who are hoarders in video games are also hoarders in real life

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yeah, I dunno, I definitely appreciate the fusing system and the joy of picking up good stuff continuously instead of getting the best weapon once and then not worrying about it for the rest of the game, or at least segment of the game or whatever. I only got even close to running out of decent weapons like one or two times. now I'm just sitting on 30+ siler lynel horns and I'll never run out of perfectly serviceable silver bokoblin horns, and I got enough stamps on the depths map to stock up on shiny weapons no problem.

At the same time, walking up to a lovely camp with a bunch of red monsters, or getting slowly jumped random chuchus and stalfos dudes, just feels bad every time because it makes me think about how to not "waste" durability. Durability not being displayed as a number makes it worse for me too somehow. It's just not what I want to think about when getting into a fight, it takes me right out of the fantasy of being a marauding elf kid with divine mandate to cause mayhem.

I know to some extent this is my own personal brainworms interfering with my enjoyment of the game, but, like, I'm not getting rid of them any time soon so I have to work with them.

I guess my other gripe with the weapon system is that horns are just too good, so I always end up with those boring horn weapons instead of fusing ridiculous environment bits with different effects. Even fusing weapons to weapons is mostly numerically bad so it's only really fun with spears. And yeah, picking up dropped weapons from enemies just feels pointless.

It's definitely not ruining the game for me but I still hope they come up with something different for the next iteration of the concept, if there's gonna be one.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

BitBasher posted:

I do, though.

I did a strange advancement direction I guess where I have very little armor. I explored all over for shrines and I'm now fighting silver enemies while I have bad armor and not having the components to upgrade them, because I've been using them on my disposable weapons.

The enemies I need to kill either take a billion hits or I need to use the components the enemies drop to kill them making collecting really slow while they kill me in two hits. With 16 hearts.

The decaying weapons just seems to hit a point for me where it's adding to the grind without really making it more fun, it just making it artificially last a lot longer.

I still like the game, I just think this was the worst part of it so far. That and cash seems really scarce.

I'm also playing with no spoilers so I really don't have any good armor sets collected. I'm finding things randomly all over.

Consider mixing and matching armors. It's not that tough to pump up one piece each of the Hylian Set, Soldier Set, and Zonaite Set to level 3. Also, eat more mighty bananas meals and try tossing more puffshrooms/muddle buds at the bad guys to make the fighting a little easier until your inventory catches up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My setup:

Have 15 top tier weapons, any time they’re close to breaking, get the dozen rocktoroks you have tagged on your map to refresh them. Even split between cut/smash and one hand/two hand. Use the master sword to stretch out the durability of the other weapons. Durability solved.

Have 4 auxiliary weapons, maybe with elemental fuses to melt frozen things or make ice floaties or other uses

Have 1 slot for trash

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
In particular, the Hylian Set is all purchased for cheap in the first quest hub area, so it’s a good candidate for upgrades. It also needs generic enough parts that you’ll get them as you need them pretty much (the amber req is a bit much, but those things are everywhere).

It’s generic, but it absolutely suits the “armor” needs the game is expecting. I have two of the pieces at 3 and one at 4, and silver enemies just do what I would consider to be reasonable damage while I wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm only willing to go to the three Rocktoroks near Momosik, what are some cool powerful weapons to repeatedly refresh? Right now they're just some mid-level ones with boss parts fused to them