Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Revised generally said you only botched if you got no success and a 1. One success and 3 1s? Just a failure. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Nessus posted:

Revised generally said you only botched if you got no success and a 1. One success and 3 1s? Just a failure. I think.

Correct.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't really see the issue as long as your absolute chance of a botch decreases. Like, suppose I go from 75% succeed, 15% fail, 10% botch to 90% succeed, 5% fail, 5% botch. Oh, no, my odds of botching (massive, flashing asterisk) have increased (even bigger asterisk which is visibly on fire)!!!

The possibility of TN 10 is the standout landmine with oWoD style dicepool systems and I'm pretty sure all the 20 editions, at least, hard-cap TN at 9 with maybe a note that something that WOULD push it farther instead messes with your success count somehow.

The probability is a little wonky if the difficulty is greater than 6 and the dice pools are small. For example, at every difficulty, the chance to botch with 1 dice is, of course, 10%.

At Diff 7 with 2 dice however, the chance rises slightly to 11%. With a pool of 3 you dip below the initial 10%.

Diff 8 also needs 3 dice to start trending down, but needs 5 dice before you get below the initial 10%.

Diff 9 needs a pool of 5 dice before it starts trending down, and 9 dice before it gets below the initial 10%.

EDIT: There's still a climbing success rate in each case. It's just the ratio of fail/botch probabilities that's weird.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 27, 2023

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Any of you have any experience with GMing Mage the Awakening 2e? If so, how'd it go and what are some good tips and things to look out for while GMing myself? Thankfully I have a lot of time to prepare since I've got to wrap up a Delta Green campaign before I get onto this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Whirling posted:

Any of you have any experience with GMing Mage the Awakening 2e? If so, how'd it go and what are some good tips and things to look out for while GMing myself? Thankfully I have a lot of time to prepare since I've got to wrap up a Delta Green campaign before I get onto this.

#1 tip bring the free council rote “save point” back from 1e it’s the best

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Whirling posted:

Some.

#1: don't worry about using all the wrenches in the toybox. If you can't think of a Condition to grant for an exceptional success in spellcasting, just give a beat and move along. In fact, it is fine to cut to the goddamn chase and skip condition tracking whenever you can't be arsed to deal with it

#2: You do not need to properly stat npcs. For mages, think of their Path, Order, long-term Obsession, Gnosis, and any Arcana they have at 4 or 5. That's all you need. If they have a Legacy you simply do not need the fine-tuning of mechanics involved in statting their attainments unless a pc is joining it. In extremis, you can let the arcana slide too - the two vital parts of a mage are their path and what it is they're an expert in / obsessed by.

#3 It is virtually impossible to imprison a mage, and they are all walking SAM sites. All of mage society is based on this. It's one part academic conference, two parts framing anything as disagreements among gentlemen because anything else results in devestating bloodshed.

#4 related to the abive, the Seers are not the Technocracy. The Diamond and Pyramid are bitter rivals, but they don't go around killing one another all the time as a base position.

#5 and while I'm on the subject - the Pentacle are portrayed as being a lot murkier, morally speaking, than Ascension's traditions. They are not the good guys, rather the best-available guys. This is more down to Ascension being too cowardly to properly portray Trad mages as the fringe weirdos and outcasts they should be.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Be extremely collaborative with your players, because their characters have an outsized command of what happens in the game. Try to challenge them with stuff that they can't overcome easily, but don't be too surprised when they do anyway and remember the characters are all self-absorbed weirdos in a battle over ideologies, including amongst allies, so it's okay for sessions to be a lot of talking.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Your players WILL surprise you, go with it. Let poo poo get W E I R D and remember that any mystery you create they will be able to solve with magic. It's cool to have something here and there that spells won't work on, but don't keep doing constantly. Let them take shortcuts, encourage them to take shortcuts, and then when they rely on those shortcuts for everything THAT'S when you pull the rug out and reveal the price.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Once in a Mage game one of their allies was poisoned and the poisoner told them that it was reactive to magic and would immediately kill the victim if any spell was used, even sensorial ones.

Anyways, there was a lot of concern about it until like two sessions later one of the players managed to recover a blood sample from the target and then proceeded to roll 12 successes with eight dice on their Intelligence + Medicine roll to realize it was complete bullshit and hey, this is a poison that the player himself had created in his lab when he was a journeyman. They then proceeded to bully the poisoner NPC for the rest of that arc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

EDIT: Yep, reverse Hunger, but instead of Messy Crits, you just have a 20% per die chance at loving up your roll.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 28, 2023

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hey, it's a "we're too lazy to fix an unintended element of our design so we're instructing the Storyteller to punish anyone who notices" sidebar. The 90s are back, baby!

It's also a huge disappointment to read "you gain 1 Rage when damaged, up to once per turn" and then immediately "...except in combat". What the hell, man? That'd be perfect!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Wait, so Rage gain when you’re topped off makes you lose Willpower, but Rage loss when you’re in supernatural depression does absolutely nothing?

That’s dumb as hell. That is literally the opposite of how it should work.

Glad I never preordered this (because of how bad that looked, morally), because at this point I’d be trying to figure out how to cancel (due to how bad it looks, morally but in a different way and also mechanically).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

It's also a huge disappointment to read "you gain 1 Rage when damaged, up to once per turn" and then immediately "...except in combat". What the hell, man? That'd be perfect!
I'm (probably foolishly) assuming this is a rule so that they can have a gift, trait, or other-such-modifier that gives you back rage-from-damage-in-combat at some increased interval or blanket amount.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Trying to game your Rage meter seems like the absolute worst thing and I hate it.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
“You try to shift but fail, now you’re stuck in human form until you can awoo just right”

Perfect, no notes, loving this “SA frontpage article from 10 years ago” approach to Werewoof: The Yiffpocalypse

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It is a nice touch that rage dice are an actual upside in combat, since they're effectively a special way to crit on a 9 or a 10. In V5 a hungry vampire is actually much less dangerous than an even-tempered one, not just because they're low on mana but because a portion of their attack pool is locked off from willpower rerolls.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love that werewolf auspices are basically organized by all the non-combat duties they hold that they will all inevitably gently caress up horribly because they were just a tish too angry that day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Trying to game your Rage meter seems like the absolute worst thing and I hate it.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Good advice, everyone, thanks so much. I do have experience with games like Exalted that require a GM to go with the flow of the players, so hopefully that transfers over.

Also, hey, one of you is one of the developers! Thank you for making the game!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

I love that werewolf auspices are basically organized by all the non-combat duties they hold that they will all inevitably gently caress up horribly because they were just a tish too angry that day.

I'm dreading that the gift lists are going to be the only things that separate the Auspices, and I dislike that all Auspices are now equally prone to frenzy. I agree that it should have been more possible for, say, a starting Ragabash to frenzy (it was practically impossible), but it was still on brand for them to be more cool headed than the others, per their role.

It's also just strange to have decoupled Frenzy from Rage so hard. (Other than the willpower damage from excess)

I feel like such a grognard, but each new preview puts me more firmly in the "it's not for me" camp. I'm glad they knocked out so much of the gross poo poo, but so much non-gross stuff I really liked is being changed too.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kurieg posted:

Oooh, Beast redux? "You try to stabilize the patient before he bleeds out. You're really pissed off at all the violence that's been happening tonight, and the traffic jams, and the huge fight you had with your spouse before you went on duty, so you're full of rage. Oh poo poo, you got a double brutal. So, lets see. You're so pissed off that you miswound the bandage that you: a) punch the patient right in the wound you're trying to bandage a few times, b) punch your partner while screaming in fury, or c) punch the sidewalk so hard that you break a few knuckles." Still reminds me of the 1970s Incredible Hulk show meets the werewolves from Twilight. You're an inherently violent person with terrible anger management. Go!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The new Rage stuff is a bit weird, but I still plan to give it an honest chance when I try Werewolf out for Halloween this year. V5 seemed weird but I turned out to quite like the mechanics in play.

Still more realistic then trying to get someone in my group to read a whole rear end Exalted book.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

You know, burning your willpower if you get too much Rage is a really weird choice. You'd think that going above 5 just makes you risk immediate frenzy, while dropping below 0 is what saps your will to go on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ferrinus posted:

You know, burning your willpower if you get too much Rage is a really weird choice. You'd think that going above 5 just makes you risk immediate frenzy, while dropping below 0 is what saps your will to go on.

This was my thought too. Like, it shoull be "Get more Rage over 5 = Frenzy test, every time" and then going to 0 = "laff you're gonna start losing Willpower instead of gaining Rage, unless you howl at the moon like a weirdo or dance naked around the fire with your pack or whatever."

That would be way more interesting a dynamic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think the idea is you're spending willpower to *keep* from frenzying? but they're not making it an option and instead just forcing you to do it.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

I think the idea is you're spending willpower to *keep* from frenzying? but they're not making it an option and instead just forcing you to do it.
It also means the gamiest way to game your Rage is to never stay fully healthy, because then you can try to burn it down healing yourself when your tank gets too close to the top, if you don't have any gifts to try to biff Rage checks on to cost a point. It's such a weird way to get there, but I guess that's what happens when you start from "ok it's Hunger mechanics, figure out the details"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

it also means that it's actually kind of ideal to have One Guy be your skill monkey and party face who stays at zero rage all the time and just doesn't contribute to combat. Like it was kind of the entire point of the hunger system that you couldn't remove the penalties completely without literally killing someone.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

it also means that it's actually kind of ideal to have One Guy be your skill monkey and party face who stays at zero rage all the time and just doesn't contribute to combat. Like it was kind of the entire point of the hunger system that you couldn't remove the penalties completely without literally killing someone.
But to do that you must...kill the wolf within (said while wearing a tie as a bandana and taking a huge all-stems bong rip)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It also means the gamiest way to game your Rage is to never stay fully healthy, because then you can try to burn it down healing yourself when your tank gets too close to the top, if you don't have any gifts to try to biff Rage checks on to cost a point. It's such a weird way to get there, but I guess that's what happens when you start from "ok it's Hunger mechanics, figure out the details"

Not so fast, buddy. If the spirits come to suspect that you're taking damage (presumably in helpings of more than one health level at a time, or in combat (the setting in which a werewolf is least likely to get mad)) merely to burn off excess Rage then they'll surely vent their displeasure upon you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Imagine when we get Mage and Paradox dice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine when we get Mage and Paradox dice.
The secret to Ascension's math will be to keep your Paradox dice pool to two.

Then you've got a Paradise in your hand! :stat: :wal:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

#3 It is virtually impossible to imprison a mage, and they are all walking SAM sites. All of mage society is based on this. It's one part academic conference, two parts framing anything as disagreements among gentlemen because anything else results in devestating bloodshed.

Described that way I immediately thought Discworld wizards, and that's probably more because of thinking along the same lines. Also likely that large parts of Mage society are built around giving them something to keep them occupied and do something that doesn't involve hurling fireballs unless you really need to.

The idea that Malkavians sometimes are just seeing right through to the real truth of the world can be hilarious and terrifying.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I made good use of that aspect of Malkavians in my game the other day. During a magic lantern show, someone was abducted in the blink of an eye. The Malkavian present saw it all clear as day despite the magical impact, but assumed it was just a clever part of the show.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

A werewolf teetering on the brink, stabbing himself in the leg with a huge knife in order to keep it together.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

A werewolf teetering on the brink, stabbing himself in the leg with a huge knife in order to keep it together.

Right, so now self-harm is a fully-ruled game mechanic.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TheCenturion posted:

Right, so now self-harm is a fully-ruled game mechanic.

Done before with the Epideromancer from Unknown Armies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gotta admit that's kind of punk.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Gatto Grigio posted:

Done before with the Epideromancer from Unknown Armies.

Been done all sorts of ways and places, really. Anything with blood magic or sacrificial magic, really, or “cast from hp” technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I started the first session of my new game. I mentioned my two pal's characters previously but I'll run em down again.

Gilbert Gore: Toreador Goth/Glam/Country artist. His desire is to be a rock star and create brutal performance art.

Jedidiah "Jed" Hascal: A Malkavian country musician with a passion for horse ranching that wants to grow a cult that will eventually turn into a coven of Malkavians. His Malkavian insights come to him in a Farmer's Almanac.

The in-story for the initial session is that the two have found themselves blacklisted from most of the music venues in town by a Brujah entertainment producer in town named Myles Knight after they drugged up and fed from a mortal Myles was grooming to be a retainer. I let them come up with the story of how they got on Myles' bad side and played some of it out as a flashback. The first night opens with Jed getting a call from the coterie's manager/retainer Billy saying that it took him a few weeks but he's got Myles willing to sit at the table and hash out how they can make things square. The two musicians load up and head down to a club run by Myles in the next scene but not before they "coincidentally" run into Pasquale Giovanni (a rival to to Myles in the entertainment scene) who chats them up and after hearing they're meeting Myles, Pasquale tries to draw out a little more info but since Glen and Jed are in the dark he leaves them to their night.

Eventually the band meets with Myles in one of the club's VIP rooms. After some apologies and banter Myles gets down to business, he'll overlook their disrespect if they can replace the lost retainer with someone else he'd like to recruit. Myles wants to recruit a thin-blood mixologist who's gained a little renown making stunning cocktails for Kindred through use of his thin-blood alchemy named Jay Mythic. Myles has booked the band a gig through a favor he was owed so that they can deliver an envelope containing the terms of a job offer to Jay, the envelope is a large manila folder with a wax city seal pinning the flap (this naturally made the boys very curious). Jed and Glen figure even though it's a bit weird it seems simple enough and they agree to the terms. They go back to the haven and load up their gear so they can set out tomorrow night to head one city over.

On the interstate about an hour into the trip Jed notices a car pull along side their van and a man in a rhinestone in the passenger seat is lining up a pistol on Glen who's driving the van (Glen made a terrible roll and didn't notice himself). This is the time to mention that Jed has a dot in enemies, a group of rhinestone wearing country boys known in the area as The Shrimphis Mafia and they want Glen dead for crossing them. Jed managed to yank the wheel and cause the shot to miss while Glen makes a roll to keep the van in control on the road. In the ensuing combat Glen managed to have Jed hold the wheel so Glen can shoot out a tire, which he does with a fantastic roll, the two evade the Shrimphis Mafia for another night. Now the two find themselves at a truck stop between Hattiesberg and New Orleans with Glen running low on vitae and plotting how to feed but also having to work around his flaws that he can only feed on people who are audience to his music and that he's an organovore.

So that's where we stopped for the night. We had a kind of abbreviated game due to one of us being on call.