Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Outpost22 posted:

I accidentally entered in reddit.com in my browser but I immediately closed it, does that count as a relapse? :(

I very dramatically posted "THIS MIGHT BE MY LAST POST EVER" on the RIF subreddit the day the protest started

nobody look at all the posts after that now because RES still works and I'll keep using reddit until it stops lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Outpost22 posted:

I accidentally entered in reddit.com in my browser but I immediately closed it, does that count as a relapse? :(

more of a prolapse

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

dervival posted:

more of a prolapse

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

dervival posted:

more of a prolapse

No ring though. So should be ok.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that just means that outpost22 isn't the greatest of whatever se.cx is, assuming it's not just a mangled manifestation of fornication

because let's face it, everyone here knows that anyone posting on these helldump forums would not be the greatest of all time at that

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Part of my job used to be reading market research reports about ecommerce and even in ecommerce, most of the research is centered around how to "make" people buy from websites. For very successful ecommerce websites everything is very methodically designed and laid out specifically to drive sales. The color palette is chosen specifically based on which colors will create the least resistance to you clicking a buy button. Verbiage is precise. It's proper form to fill your pages up with literal commands to buy (like buttons that say "buy now" instead of "add to cart") because people will subconsciously follow commands often enough that it makes a noticeable difference. They've studied exactly what additional fees will cause people to back out of a purchase if they're displayed before the very final stage of checkout, so those are left until the final screen because no matter how averse people are to the fees, if they're already several steps into checkout then the sunk cost fallacy pushes them through. "Your product doesn't matter, only your branding does" is common advice in ecommerce.

I keep my phone set to greyscale 24/7 because that defeats like, half of the dirty tricks of the internet. It also makes you hate using your phone lmao

And this is kind of why I post about this stuff so often, all of this stuff was very specifically designed in ways that maximize your spending while minimizing your understanding of how much you've spend or the actual cost/benefit analysis. A big part of that with League especially is, much like other games, using Riot Points to make purchases which are an abstracted currency not 1:1 to real money. No matter how well you understand that and see what's happening, it affects your ability to subconsciously track actual spending.

There's a post (maybe ITT today?) with a screenshot of a redditor casually mentioning that they've dropped $5,000 on Reddit's collectible avatars. I remember another Reddit post a few years ago where someone went through and tallied up their total spent on Postmates/Doordash for the year and realized they had spent over $9,000 in one year on food delivery fees (not including the cost of the food). This is an extremely real thing that the entire modern internet is explicitly designed to do.

I am pretty sure I have over $10,000 total spent on my Steam account :gonk: That's over nearly two decades but I played most of those games for under an hour! I bought them primarily because they were on sale, and "dang that's a good deal! I'll get around to it some day, I'm sure!"

I want you to know that, after reading your post, I greyscaled my phone, too. It was actually a huge pain in the balls to figure out because none of the search results I found worked. And I ended up finding a reddit post that worked, as a matter of fact.

And you're right, I already disliked using my phone, but I fuggen hate it, now

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Part of my job used to be reading market research reports about ecommerce and even in ecommerce, most of the research is centered around how to "make" people buy from websites. For very successful ecommerce websites everything is very methodically designed and laid out specifically to drive sales. The color palette is chosen specifically based on which colors will create the least resistance to you clicking a buy button. Verbiage is precise. It's proper form to fill your pages up with literal commands to buy (like buttons that say "buy now" instead of "add to cart") because people will subconsciously follow commands often enough that it makes a noticeable difference. They've studied exactly what additional fees will cause people to back out of a purchase if they're displayed before the very final stage of checkout, so those are left until the final screen because no matter how averse people are to the fees, if they're already several steps into checkout then the sunk cost fallacy pushes them through. "Your product doesn't matter, only your branding does" is common advice in ecommerce.

I keep my phone set to greyscale 24/7 because that defeats like, half of the dirty tricks of the internet. It also makes you hate using your phone lmao

And this is kind of why I post about this stuff so often, all of this stuff was very specifically designed in ways that maximize your spending while minimizing your understanding of how much you've spend or the actual cost/benefit analysis. A big part of that with League especially is, much like other games, using Riot Points to make purchases which are an abstracted currency not 1:1 to real money. No matter how well you understand that and see what's happening, it affects your ability to subconsciously track actual spending.

There's a post (maybe ITT today?) with a screenshot of a redditor casually mentioning that they've dropped $5,000 on Reddit's collectible avatars. I remember another Reddit post a few years ago where someone went through and tallied up their total spent on Postmates/Doordash for the year and realized they had spent over $9,000 in one year on food delivery fees (not including the cost of the food). This is an extremely real thing that the entire modern internet is explicitly designed to do.

I am pretty sure I have over $10,000 total spent on my Steam account :gonk: That's over nearly two decades but I played most of those games for under an hour! I bought them primarily because they were on sale, and "dang that's a good deal! I'll get around to it some day, I'm sure!"

Not surprised about this but it's a little jarring to read.

Going to try the phone greyscale thing, though. Anything to keep me off of it is a positive. Just did it and my gently caress is it awful.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm as skeptical of this as I am "ketchup and mustard" theory in fast food restaurant coloring. It's got the whiff of pop psych pseudoscience to it, just like Red doesn't make you want to order super size fries.

Not to say there isn't a lot of psychology in games, micro transactions, nor value in testing and streamlining your processes - any extra screen or hiccup or price increase absolutely increases checkout friction. But the whole "nudge" concept for these outcomes is a mostly debunked concept from the Nate Silver/Obama heyday as well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the sight of mcdonalds mayo activates my brain’s cumcenter and i have to keep ordering more

i don’t even like mayo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Marketing has been about manipulation and sort of grossly influencing people for forever and its always shocking how effective basic tricks are against so many people

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

so did the protest work? is reddit dead now?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If there's an unskippable ad I literally mute the system and turn away from the screen. Don't let that poo poo into your brain. I don't care how smart you are or how immune you think you are, you aren't

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

If you want to get lost in the weeds on this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXhnWUmMvw&pp

quote:

In Zuboff's theory, surveillance capitalism is a novel market form and a specific logic of capitalist accumulation. In her 2014 essay A Digital Declaration: Big Data as Surveillance Capitalism, she characterized it as a "radically disembedded and extractive variant of information capitalism" based on the commodification of "reality" and its transformation into behavioral data for analysis and sales.[19][20][21][22]

In a subsequent 2015 article, Zuboff analyzed the societal implications of this mutation of capitalism. She differentiated "surveillance assets", "surveillance capital", and "surveillance capitalism" and their dependence on a global architecture of computer mediation that she calls "Big Other", a distributed and largely uncontested new expression of power which constitutes hidden mechanisms of extraction, commodification, and control that threatens core values such as freedom, democracy, and privacy.[23][2]

According to Zuboff, surveillance capitalism was pioneered at Google and later Facebook, in much the same way that mass-production and managerial capitalism were pioneered at Ford and General Motors a century earlier, and has now become the dominant form of information capitalism.[9]

In her Oxford University lecture published in 2016, Zuboff identified surveillance capitalism's mechanisms and practices, including the manufacture of "prediction products" for sale in new "behavioral futures markets." She introduced the concept "dispossession by surveillance" and argued that it challenges the psychological and political bases of self-determination as it concentrates rights in the surveillance regime. This is described as a "coup from above."[24]

From Wikipedia, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sur...20each%20other.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

You'll be floored to know that absolutely nothing has been achieved.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Reminds me of when they liberated Hong Kong with photos of cartoon characters.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

If you consider some John Oliver shitposting and a handful of people leaving for Lemmy as an effective protest result, sure.

There will be a new protest on July 1st I guess. It probably will be even less effective unless people who like 3rd party apps actually jump ship. Unlikely.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

so did the protest work?

no

is reddit dead now?

yes

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Black Noise posted:

Reminds me of when they liberated Hong Kong with photos of cartoon characters.

wait was hong kong phooey a psyop or

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

greatBigJerk posted:

If you consider some John Oliver shitposting and a handful of people leaving for Lemmy as an effective protest result, sure.

There will be a new protest on July 1st I guess. It probably will be even less effective unless people who like 3rd party apps actually jump ship. Unlikely.

I think a good number of the most active users will stop using Reddit at all, or at least nearly so often on that date. It’s unimaginable to access it without a 3rd party app.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm one of those that'll stop. I'm just not that bothered about reddit, so the annoyance of not having a decent app to browse it whilst making GBS threads will exceed the annoyance of not having it at all.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

greatBigJerk posted:

I did use an app for my phone that's going to be impacted, but it's probably for the best that I spend less time looking at my phone. As long as the reddit enhancement suite and old.reddit.com stuff works i don't think 3rd party app support is the straw that's going to break this

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

bus hustler posted:

I'm as skeptical of this as I am "ketchup and mustard" theory in fast food restaurant coloring. It's got the whiff of pop psych pseudoscience to it, just like Red doesn't make you want to order super size fries.

Not to say there isn't a lot of psychology in games, micro transactions, nor value in testing and streamlining your processes - any extra screen or hiccup or price increase absolutely increases checkout friction. But the whole "nudge" concept for these outcomes is a mostly debunked concept from the Nate Silver/Obama heyday as well.

I dunno, man, marketing and advertising is about as manipulative and insidious as the human brain can conceive. I mean, poo poo, the whole purpose is to hack and short circuit your brain to influence your behavior and hence your wallet

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

No, turns out a majority of redditors don't know even know how to spell "API".

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

frest posted:

I did use an app for my phone that's going to be impacted, but it's probably for the best that I spend less time looking at my phone. As long as the reddit enhancement suite and old.reddit.com stuff works i don't think 3rd party app support is the straw that's going to break this
It really depends on how you access the site. I switched almost entirely over to BaconReader over the past couple years.

I've been trying to switch my Reddit addiction back to the forums, and a little to Kbin.

Once bacon reader is gone, I might occasionally browse with old.reddit, but that will be about it. The official app is terrible. The new site design is equally bad.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

You'll be floored to know that absolutely nothing has been achieved.

I didn't think that much would be achieved. When the protest happened I stopped using reddit just to see if I could break the habit and so far it's still going strong. I've only checked reddit once since the protest. That said I've now come back to poo poo post here under a different account so trading one addiction for another.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

is reddit dead now?

give it two weeks, there'll be a major uptick in spambots once they've had a month to age. looks like a bunch were generated between 6/13-6/18, so there's going to be a bunch of poo poo for something in the middle of July. Is Amazon or something doing some bullshit for christmas in july again or some other promotion, that'd fit the pattern

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I saw some complaints that reddit was restoring deleted posts and comments from users trying to erase their stuff prior to deleting their accounts, but I just checked my former username in a google search and it looks like all of the deletions have stuck.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm one of those that'll stop. I'm just not that bothered about reddit, so the annoyance of not having a decent app to browse it whilst making GBS threads will exceed the annoyance of not having it at all.

:same: I uninstalled the Reddit app from my phone because its a stupid waste of time, and Reddit chokes their mobile page to force you to the app. I get some value out of the more obscure subreddits so I'll still go there on my laptop, but I'm counting the days until they nuke the main page to force everyone through the app.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the kmart subreddit is too beautiful for this world

https://old.reddit.com/r/kmart/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It “worked” in that it made the people running Reddit look even worse. But at the end of the day you can’t have a strike from inside the factory because they’ll just kick you out and that’s basically what Reddit did.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Reddit isn't going to die, they just unambiguously signaled their intention to become as useless and hostile to users as Quora. Give it 2-3 years and it'll just be a bot-infested shithole full of dark patterns and propaganda, kinda like now except you won't be able to use it for web searches without logging in.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bus hustler posted:

With color theory on web design it's less about the color itself and more about choosing a striking color that stands out and using it for the parts that you want people to keep averting their gaze to, like buy buttons. There's no secret sauce where it's like red = people buy more, it's more like hey we get more checkouts with the button colored #FFAA98 than we do with #FF2D00 because the less saturated color has a lot of contrast with the rest of the site. It's all just about directing flow of attention

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

With color theory on web design it's less about the color itself and more about choosing a striking color that stands out and using it for the parts that you want people to keep averting their gaze to, like buy buttons. There's no secret sauce where it's like red = people buy more, it's more like hey we get more checkouts with the button colored #FFAA98 than we do with #FF2D00 because the less saturated color has a lot of contrast with the rest of the site. It's all just about directing flow of attention

Wasn't there a big thing about restaurants using specific colors to make you more prone to leaving quickly?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Yeah it's dead... to me! :getin:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Narzack posted:

Wasn't there a big thing about restaurants using specific colors to make you more prone to leaving quickly?

Yeah, that's what bus hustler is referring to as mostly bunk pop psychology. In restaurants I believe that has shifted toward things like designing seats that are uncomfortable to sit at for long periods of time rather than color.

The only e-commerce color theory stuff I remember that was about specific colors is to avoid "sickly" looking colors (like brownish yellowish green) on your important buttons, but otherwise e-commerce (and web/app design stuff afaik) in color theory is more about choosing palettes where one color naturally draws attention from the others and then placing that color where you want people to focus.

An example of this on Reddit: when you load /r/all, (the doomscrolling feed) the only parts of the design that are blue are the buttons that drive engagement (comment, create post, join subreddits, scroll back to the top, or load the next page of posts). Those buttons constantly draw your subconscious attention - not because they're blue, but because they stand out so much from the rest of the page. (e: This is much more pronounced on mobile than on desktop)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 28, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm a UX designer and I've always been struck by the way that ecomm UX is far and away the most rigorously researched and tested. It helps that there's a pretty specific and defined user flow you're looking for, but there's waaay more data and studies on user experience patterns on getting someone to buy something than anything else.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is a really good, pro-watch documentary, dang.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 28, 2023

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

It's probably the most accessible introduction to the idea, there are a few other videos on YouTube about it that go into more depth if memory serves. The book is really interesting, I used it for a reading course in grad school and it ended up being an important part of a thesis I never finished because depression sucks. But I would be happy to talk about it if ever anyone's ever interested. I've also been toying with the idea of making content (videos/etc) on the subject/field but yeah, life has been kicking my rear end as of late, we'll see.

It's definitely something that people need to be more aware of, although part of me wonders if that would change anything. However, I don't want to be all doom and gloom about this, legislative efforts like the GDPR have had a meaningful effect mitigating the effects of this kind of business model.

edit: Ended up rewatcing the doc, it had been a while, and yeah it gives a pretty good overview of what's going on but there's certainly more to it for those who might be interested in digging deeper.

I think this one might be good, going into how the typical social contract we have relied on isn't really a thing anymore. They don't need our consent to harvest and use behavioral data to make money, they don't need us anymore. As in capital doesn't need to come to an agreement with workers (broadly speaking).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AvtUrHxg8A

digitalist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 28, 2023

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Once Iose Joey I'm done with reddit. I'm tired of having to do a bunch of work arounds to just not be shown ads all the time. Even my tv does it now on the main Roku menu. This clearly is just about saying they can make revenue by jamming ads and sockpuppet accounts to promote partner products.

Spez is likely looking to get a big payday given how he's dumb enough to think Musk is handling Twitter well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Yeah, that's what bus hustler is referring to as mostly bunk pop psychology. In restaurants I believe that has shifted toward things like designing seats that are uncomfortable to sit at for long periods of time rather than color.

Even the uncomfortable seats, I wonder how much of that is intentionally making it uncomfortable vs like... ripped cushions look shittier than nicked wood