Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Azhais posted:

You can just set up nginx reverse proxy, it can enforce mfa in front of any application you're proxying

My concern there is that will break Readar accessing the api.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm currently using the RSS reader in Nextcloud. There are a few apps that can link up to it, and you can also just generate a PWA for it. It's protected by whatever auth your Nextcloud instance might have (in my case, it's 2FA).

If you use it make sure you take an OPML export out of it. I forgot to do so before wiping out my Nextcloud install when I was redoing my servers this weekend. This required me to redeploy the SQL database for the old install, log into it and find the entry with the URLs of my feeds and then manually copy and paste them back into the subscribe button.

Had I done a proper OPML export it would have been a single button click to restore.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Looks like miniflux is what I'm going to try since I can set it up with google oauth. I don't think I'll ever use the webapp. It'll just feed into Reeder on my iOS devices.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc the API endpoint is it’s own thing so you could just set up a rule/path/whatever to that without oauth enforced and go about your business. That would have your feed sitting out there but at worst that would result in someone criticizing your taste in articles.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

So with the death of Apollo for Reddit, I'm thinking of going back to Reader.

Initial research shows that FreshRSS is everyone's favorite self hosted option. Anyone have any experience with it or alternative suggestions? This will be exposed via a cloud flare tunnel.

Because it'll be public I have a rule that MFA is required and everything I'm seeing about FRSS seems like it doesn't support anything beyond normal auth. So I'm not wild about this.

The only other service I have exposed is Overseerr which uses plex SSO so that one is fine.

I use freshrss. It's quite good, good enough to convince me to drop my paid rss reader I've been using for years.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I want to finally get around to putting together a home NAS so I’m not constantly running out of space for all my downloaded Linux boot discs. I already have a small pile of hard drives floating around from various old PCs, but they’re all different sizes (as in data), some are solid state, some are spinning rust; is there any type of thing I can buy and just plug all my drives in, and have it configure them all into a single RAID-like volume? Or any other recommendations for how to best make use of assorted (but perfectly functional) hard drives?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dude has anyone told you about a little ol thing called ZFS likely at extreme length and very likely against your will?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TACD posted:

I want to finally get around to putting together a home NAS so I’m not constantly running out of space for all my downloaded Linux boot discs. I already have a small pile of hard drives floating around from various old PCs, but they’re all different sizes (as in data), some are solid state, some are spinning rust; is there any type of thing I can buy and just plug all my drives in, and have it configure them all into a single RAID-like volume? Or any other recommendations for how to best make use of assorted (but perfectly functional) hard drives?

I use btrfs this way and I like it a lot.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TACD posted:

unRAID is not raid and doesn't have anywhere near the level of data integrity of something like ZFS, but I imagine it might still be exactly what you want.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah that's pretty much unraids original use case. Don't trust it with your data alone, though that's true for any solution. It's also fairly minimal on the janitoring side up to a point.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a side note, any love for proxmox? I've started using it for labs and proof of concepts lately and found it very powerful particularly it's helped get my head around openvswitch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Proxmox is cool and good and finally stopped that “pay for dark mode” bullshit. Not that it matters, I had an ansible playbook that would fix that right up.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Just started using Proxmox a couple of months ago and it's pretty great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Proxmox is great. Set up a storage device in it to a NAS (or set up a Proxmox Backup Server) and set up your VMs to back up nightly to it. As long as you have the qemu-guest-agent installed in them, so it can take a proper snapshot they'll only go down for mere seconds, and you'll have full image snapshots of them you can revert to.

If you add a second (or 3rd node) you can also set up HA mode to have the cluster automatically restart your VMs on another node if one dies on you, or you need to take one down for maintenance.

You'd need to set up a shared cephfs storage, so they all have the up-to-date state for the vm to spin it up with no data loss though. It way less complicated to set up that for HA than trying to wrap your brain around Kubernetes. Though it doesn't have the scaling capability that the latter has.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yeah Proxmox rules. I haven't used a competitor to it, but even as a complete noob in the space, setting it up was as easy as following a YouTube video.

I've got VM backups going to a Synology rather than a Proxmox backup server and it seems to be working well enough.

When I retire my 5-year-old ~~gaming PC~~ I'm gonna toss Proxmox on it and add it to my two-machine cluster so I can finally play around with HA shenanigans. I figure it'll become the Plex machine if/when I retire my Macbook Pro from its current duties.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I've pretty much maxed out my google photos space, but I have plenty of room to host something myself. Any recommendations for running something akin to my own google photos?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hogofwar posted:

I've pretty much maxed out my google photos space, but I have plenty of room to host something myself. Any recommendations for running something akin to my own google photos?

I've got the same problem, and I've been beating my head against a solution. I have the added twist that I absolutely refuse to use any software that doesn't use the file system to structure on-disk photos: I've been burned by "throw everything in a directory and use a database to sort it out" in the past.

Currently I'm using the following software:

• dufs: a WebDAV server with a few bells and one whistle
  • PhotoSync: a phone app that will upload photos automatically to a WebDAV server
  • PiGallery 2: a web front-end for viewing folders of photos

In the interest of completeness, I'm also doing access control with Caddy 2 and SimpleAuth.

I'm okay with this setup. Could be better, but it's not awful.

The latest hot thing in this space appears to be Immich. I don't personally want to use Immich for reasons that somebody's probably going to have a huge problem with and I don't feel like defending in a post intended to help somebody else out. But you should check it out, it looks really cool.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 28, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

cruft posted:

I've got the same problem, and I've been beating my head against a solution. I have the added twist that I absolutely refuse to use any software that doesn't use the file system to structure on-disk photos: I've been burned by "throw everything in a directory and use a database to sort it out" in the past.

Currently I'm using the following software:

• dufs: a WebDAV server with a few bells and one whistle
  • PhotoSync: a phone app that will upload photos automatically to a WebDAV server
  • PiGallery 2: a web front-end for viewing folders of photos

In the interest of completeness, I'm also doing access control with Caddy 2 and SimpleAuth.

I'm okay with this setup. Could be better, but it's not awful.

The latest hot thing in this space appears to be Immich. I don't personally want to use Immich for reasons that somebody's probably going to have a huge problem with and I don't feel like defending in a post intended to help somebody else out. But you should check it out, it looks really cool.

What's wrong with Immich? I've heard nothing but good stuff about it, other than it still being in really active development and putting stuff into that might be risky due to breaking changes between versions.

As for me personally, I currently just use Nextcloud which seems to work well enough for me as it auto-uploads any new photos I take. The sharing functionality for albums and such isn't amazing though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use Immich because I'm lazy and couldn't care less if I have to export my photos from it in order to another app in the future.

I'd also like to continue to beat the dead horse that is:

Your NAS should never be the only place you store your most cherished memories - you're one house fire away from losing everything. Make sure you have a Cloud-based back-up like iCloud or Google Photos as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Corb3t posted:

I use Immich because I'm lazy and couldn't care less if I have to export my photos from it in order to another app in the future.

I'd also like to continue to beat the dead horse that is:

Your NAS should never be the only place you store your most cherished memories - you're one house fire away from losing everything. Make sure you have a Cloud-based back-up like iCloud or Google Photos as well.

Always follow the 3-2-1 Backup policy for any data you care about.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's wrong with Immich? I've heard nothing but good stuff about it, other than it still being in really active development and putting stuff into that might be risky due to breaking changes between versions.

As for me personally, I currently just use Nextcloud which seems to work well enough for me as it auto-uploads any new photos I take. The sharing functionality for albums and such isn't amazing though.

I'm trying out Nextcloud (with Memories) and it seems to work... okay. The pain point for me is not great android app integration and it's just slow as hell. I'll give Immich a shot at some point as well. I think Immich does store media in a custom way, but should be fine for me.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's wrong with Immich?

I have no idea. I don't personally want to use it for reasons I'd rather not get into because it's not going to help OP decide on what to use. I think OP should give it a shot, it looks cool.

(I could've sworn I already wrote this...)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Always follow the 3-2-1 Backup policy for any data you care about.

If you take nothing else away from the discussion on this page, OP, take this.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Self hosting photos is one thing I decided to never do cause I didn't wanna be responsible for it. So I pay Google for a couple terabytes and call it a day. But lately I've been worrying over Google killing photos or something so I've been considering self hosting a back up of Google photos

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Self hosting photos is one thing I decided to never do cause I didn't wanna be responsible for it. So I pay Google for a couple terabytes and call it a day. But lately I've been worrying over Google killing photos or something so I've been considering self hosting a back up of Google photos

Yeah I intend to run google photos alongside (after deleting a few GB of stuff), and I have backups every night via Kopia of the important stuff in my NAS. Which as I say this I realise may not include my photos.... Time to fix that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Did the latest update of synology replace docker for something called Container Manager for anyone else?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Resdfru posted:

Hope you don't need the location data for your photos outside of google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/80379228

I use PhotoPrism, which I'm a paid supporter of. Immich looks cool but I don't like that it wants to reorganize my files on the filesystem for me. I like my folder structure exactly the way it is!

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yikes, I guess a good reason to start backing everything up locally too

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

fletcher posted:

Hope you don't need the location data for your photos outside of google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/80379228

I use PhotoPrism, which I'm a paid supporter of. Immich looks cool but I don't like that it wants to reorganize my files on the filesystem for me. I like my folder structure exactly the way it is!

Tell me more about PhotoPrism. It's checking a lot of my boxes, and some rando on the forums willing to pay money for it is a stronger endorsement than anything else I've run across.

Does it support multiple users with their own (private) albums?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Here's a weird one, anyone use some sort of kanban system for home poo poo? I've tried things like reminders or LifeRPG but nothing has really stuck.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Here's a weird one, anyone use some sort of kanban system for home poo poo? I've tried things like reminders or LifeRPG but nothing has really stuck.

I've been known to use sticky notes on posterboard...

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

cruft posted:

I've been known to use sticky notes on posterboard...

Is that part of the SDLC or something?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I have a kanboard container, I use it to keep track of my self hosted projects. When I get an idea to do something or I have something I should probably do, I drop it on there.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

cruft posted:

Tell me more about PhotoPrism. It's checking a lot of my boxes, and some rando on the forums willing to pay money for it is a stronger endorsement than anything else I've run across.

Does it support multiple users with their own (private) albums?

My use case is only single user, but my understanding is that they've recently released some multi-user support with an eventual goal of multi-library support. I haven't followed it too closely though, so my intel may be bad here. I've seen some recent posts about it on /r/photoprism (which the maintainers are quite active on as well).

People seem to be flipping out about how they are paywalling premium features. I am fine with it. I want the maintainers to be able to live comfortably and continue to improve the software. It certainly falls short of the advanced AI features in Google Photos, being able to search for things that are in the images themselves, facial recognition, etc. The photoprism equivalent of that stuff is certainly not at slick as Google's, but it does exist: https://docs.photoprism.app/developer-guide/metadata/classification/

Development is active, they seem to have long term sustainability in mind, they have good principals about owning your data, etc. For that reason I am happy to support the project and hope to see it continue to be a more compelling alternative to Google Photos. I think it is quite good in the state is is currently in, but I do find myself missing just how well Google Photos is able to do things.

For syncing photos, I use Nextcloud (which I require VPN to access). So it's a little cumbersome. Of course, that is a trade-off we are usually willing to make in the self hosting world!

For now, I continue to use both Photoprism and Google Photos, and hopefully one day I find that I am no longer compelled to search for something in Google Photos :)

Blurb3947 posted:

Oh yes definitely. I use Trello, but it's been something that I'd like to switch to a self hosted solution. I've tried out a few different options (there are plenty in this space...) but haven't quite made the plunge on using one. The trello web & mobile interface is pretty slick. Same reason I still continue to use Newsblur over some of the self-hosted RSS reader solutions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

fletcher posted:

This is ridiculous and I can't believe it isn't brought up more often.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Is that part of the SDLC or something?

Sorry for the confusion here. I use literal 3M brand post-it notes on either a whiteboard or a posterboard from the grocery store. I write on them with a pen. This wound up being a great way to teach cruft jr how to tackle multi-step projects that seemed overwhelming in elementary school, and we just kept doing it.

That's really helpful, thanks. I'm going to give it a spin. At this point, I'm pretty much in step with you as regards the money aspects.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

This is ridiculous and I can't believe it isn't brought up more often.

It's worse than that, even. The API won't let you download photos at the resolution you uploaded them: https://rclone.org/googlephotos/#limitations

Anyone using Google Photos as their sole backup solution had better get busy downloading Google Takeout bundles before they decide to kill Google Takeout.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Put that “media is replaceable” backup strategy to the test. I use a MacBook as a plex server so I stupidly have an EXFAT drive in a RAID attached to it. Apple update borked the drive table so I had to reformat.

I was very close to throwing my hands up and finally replacing the MacBook with an actual desktop so I could use a file system that doesn’t hate itself but decided it’d be faster to just rebuild from the existing setup I have. Lightning won’t strike twice, right? :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ZFS exists on macOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Can MacOS read ext2 yet?

I was trying to back up my photos to an exfat drive and had to switch to ext2 because I couldn't figure out how to make rsync change all the colons in filenames.