Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Poque posted:

I'm only willing to go to the three Rocktoroks near Momosik, what are some cool powerful weapons to repeatedly refresh? Right now they're just some mid-level ones with boss parts fused to them
Savage Lynel Bow x3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My setup:

I fuse good horns to weapons and use them. I don’t waste time teleporting around places every moon, because I find new weapons and horns faster than I use up my current ones.

I do think there’s a legitimate complaint where a lot of the more varied and playful uses of fusion aren’t really worth it compared to the boring but practical +damage from horns. Yeah, I could make a spear-spear, or a shield-claymore, or a cannon-sword, or a bouncy-mushroom-sword, or a dozen other things… but once the novelty wears off it’s better to just stick a silver horn on for raw damage. But a lot of the stuff people do to get around durability is more tedious and restrictive than just using up your weapons without worrying about it.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mixing armor is what I'm doing now. I do have the hylian set I just can't upgrade it yet.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tokelau All Star posted:

Consider mixing and matching armors. It's not that tough to pump up one piece each of the Hylian Set, Soldier Set, and Zonaite Set to level 3. Also, eat more mighty bananas meals and try tossing more puffshrooms/muddle buds at the bad guys to make the fighting a little easier until your inventory catches up.
Shooting those boss bokoblins or one of the ones following it with a muddlebud is one of my favorite things to do. Just stand back and watch them fight each other.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Also helps to remember that Puffshrooms + sneakstrikes are almost cheating.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I feel like especially in late game the octoroks just make the durability system seem even more unnecessary/trivial and counteractive for experimenting. By late game, if you're mostly using silver horns, you're gonna have plenty of 50+ weapons and depending on what you're doing you'll be able to find comparable base weapons decently easily. So you kinda end up either tediously teleporting to Eldin to have the octoroks repair or you're letting the weapons break and fusing similar weapons to replace them shortly after.

It just ends up making it so you have to managie if you're gonna have spears, 2-handers or swords at any given moment. Imo that definitely weakens experimenting. There are situations where one weapon type is better than others for dealing with enemies and I'd like to just know what weapons I'm going to have without worrying.

Sorta unrelated, but if you've got some armor upgrades, a healthy number of hearts and 50+ weapons, the combat isn't super difficult. So it just feels like "what are we doing here".

Combat definitely could use an overhaul/improvement if they're gonna make it more a focus like in BOTW and TOTK. It didn't really matter in the previous games as much because Zelda was a puzzle dungeon explorer.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Macaluso posted:

What do you mean you "turned off" durability

It's an option if you emulate, I think.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I feel like one change that could really help combat with lesser monsters is having attacks do a lot of extra damage when the monster is knocked down. Does feel a little tedious when I can keep a monster from actually getting back up, but still have to keep just wailing away on it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

dodgeblan posted:

i wonder if people who are hoarders in video games are also hoarders in real life

:coughs, shuffles, looks nervously around:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

What do you mean you "turned off" durability

You can remove durability on everything via cheat on emulator, or modded Switch. I did the former.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
If you ever care about not using your good weapons on trash foes, you can destroy all Stal enemies by throwing a single dazzlefruit, shoot most chuchus dead with a single arrow, and kill any keese by throwing an apple at it. Also, hittin the bricks makes any problem no longer your problem

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Snake Maze posted:

My setup:

I fuse good horns to weapons and use them. I don’t waste time teleporting around places every moon, because I find new weapons and horns faster than I use up my current ones.

I do think there’s a legitimate complaint where a lot of the more varied and playful uses of fusion aren’t really worth it compared to the boring but practical +damage from horns. Yeah, I could make a spear-spear, or a shield-claymore, or a cannon-sword, or a bouncy-mushroom-sword, or a dozen other things… but once the novelty wears off it’s better to just stick a silver horn on for raw damage. But a lot of the stuff people do to get around durability is more tedious and restrictive than just using up your weapons without worrying about it.

okay yeah now this is a complaint I can get behind

I love using the zonai cannon in fights but it does terrible damage

Also does anyone understand why if you fuse a cannon to your shield it seems like you're aiming at the target then at the last second link points in a completely different direction?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

My setup:

Have 15 top tier weapons, any time they’re close to breaking, get the dozen rocktoroks you have tagged on your map to refresh them. Even split between cut/smash and one hand/two hand. Use the master sword to stretch out the durability of the other weapons. Durability solved.

Have 4 auxiliary weapons, maybe with elemental fuses to melt frozen things or make ice floaties or other uses

Have 1 slot for trash

i'm sorry you ruined the game for yourself

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

HPanda posted:

In particular, the Hylian Set is all purchased for cheap in the first quest hub area, so it’s a good candidate for upgrades. It also needs generic enough parts that you’ll get them as you need them pretty much (the amber req is a bit much, but those things are everywhere).

It’s generic, but it absolutely suits the “armor” needs the game is expecting. I have two of the pieces at 3 and one at 4, and silver enemies just do what I would consider to be reasonable damage while I wear it.

Yeah this is my daily driver. It’s boring but very easy to upgrade so whatever. At some point I’d like to upgrade my barbarian armor but I kinda can’t be assed to farm a billion Lynels

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My adjacent complaint is that they should have had had higher-tier versions of the zonai devices start spawning as the rest of the world scales up.

One of the coolest bits of the game was at the very start, when I fused a cannon on to a spear and was temporarily a god of death against the mostly red and occasionally blue enemies in the camps at the time. I can do the same thing now, sure, but that massive explosion only takes off 1/20th of a silver bokoblin's health so it doesn't really have the same impact. Give me a mega-cannon that uses up five full batteries in a single shot for an explosion that can oneshot silver bokoblin, please.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

If you ever care about not using your good weapons on trash foes, you can destroy all Stal enemies by throwing a single dazzlefruit, shoot most chuchus dead with a single arrow, and kill any keese by throwing an apple at it. Also, hittin the bricks makes any problem no longer your problem

Dazzlefruit stuck on pristine forest dweller spear is my preferred running-around-at-night-or-underground carry. Lasts for ages.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Yunobo with a solemn vow kills a noticeable amount of trash enemies on his own. Not a ton, but like if three pebblits are after you, he might take down two of them while you're switching to a hammer weapon.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Combat gets a bit old because most of the time you're just fighting a goofy looking guy of some size or other with a generic weapon. Especially in/before temples. Maybe that's just nostalgia, but I feel like in the very old Zeldas, there were plenty of rooms where there's just a mildly interesting set of enemies to fight to open the door to the next room. That seems a lot rarer here and provocatively I'm gonna say it's because a) they know fighting zonai construct soldiers got old like an hour or two into the game and they don't have the enemy/environment interaction variety to keep it fresh, and b) they don't want to gently caress over people who broke all their weapons somehow.

Sorry, everyone, I'm just being grumpy because I'm pretty much done with the game and am resentful of having to deal with irl problems now, so I'm distracting myself by coming up with fake bullshit problems.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 28, 2023

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Docjowles posted:

Yeah this is my daily driver. It’s boring but very easy to upgrade so whatever. At some point I’d like to upgrade my barbarian armor but I kinda can’t be assed to farm a billion Lynels

I worked on this last night, got two pieces maxed and the third at level 3. not sure I care enough about that last piece unless I just happen to kill three more white lynels along the way

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is EVEN STUPIDER than the apple trick and i loving love it

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I just did the roomba shrine near the akkala stables and it was cool as hell

also the naked stable quest at the death mountain stables

the game is just better when you don't have much stuff

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Guy is Fyson's dad?! And he doesn't even know what Tarrey Town is! Dude!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Poque posted:

I'm only willing to go to the three Rocktoroks near Momosik, what are some cool powerful weapons to repeatedly refresh? Right now they're just some mid-level ones with boss parts fused to them

Lynel Bow, Scimitar Of The Seven, and maybe a Lightscale Trident

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah it's mostly busy work. Though the one thing I wish I understood earlier was fusing ice/fire items to shields to force the temperature to a temperate level, that rules.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Vanadium posted:

Combat gets a bit old because most of the time you're just fighting a goofy looking guy of some size or other with a generic weapon. Especially in/before temples. Maybe that's just nostalgia, but I feel like in the very old Zeldas, there were plenty of rooms where there's just a mildly interesting set of enemies to fight to open the door to the next room. That seems a lot rarer here and provocatively I'm gonna say it's because a) they know fighting zonai construct soldiers got old like an hour or two into the game and they don't have the enemy/environment interaction variety to keep it fresh, and b) they don't want to gently caress over people who broke all their weapons somehow.

Also the nonlinear nature means you can't have encounters based around the hookshot or a spinner.

I don't wanna beat the durability horse but I think if the player was guaranteed to have at least a few (rechargeable) permanent weapons then the developers could design more 'complex' enemies and encounters around them. The armored enemies were kind of a step in that direction, you have different ways to kill them but having a sledge makes it easiest. And there's always been taluses.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's mostly busy work. Though the one thing I wish I understood earlier was fusing ice/fire items to shields to force the temperature to a temperate level, that rules.

One big change I like from BOTW is that just holding a fire weapon near an ice chunk makes it start to melt, instead of having to swing-swing-wait with a flameblade.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Giggy posted:

Also the nonlinear nature means you can't have encounters based around the hookshot or a spinner.

I don't wanna beat the durability horse but I think if the player was guaranteed to have at least a few (rechargeable) permanent weapons then the developers could design more 'complex' enemies and encounters around them. The armored enemies were kind of a step in that direction, you have different ways to kill them but having a sledge makes it easiest. And there's always been taluses.

Yeah it would be much better if the legendary weapons from the 4 regional quest lines would recharge like the master sword (and maybe did special movement stuff).

Tokelau All Star posted:

One big change I like from BOTW is that just holding a fire weapon near an ice chunk makes it start to melt, instead of having to swing-swing-wait with a flameblade.

BOTW worked the same way, only time you ever had to swing your flameblade was to light a campfire.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

PittTheElder posted:

I don't think you can repair the champion weapons sadly

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

You could do that in BotW. Not sure if the fire rods worked, but I know the flameblades caused ice to (slowly) melt just having them equipped.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Poque posted:

I don't think you can repair the champion weapons sadly

Can't you unfuse/destroy-fused-material the champion weapons, fuse them as attachment to a regular weapon, and repair that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vanadium posted:

Can't you unfuse/destroy-fused-material the champion weapons, fuse them as attachment to a regular weapon, and repair that?
Yes. But then you have to visit the de-fuse goron all the time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I finally got a hoverbike that doesn’t drift

Is there an ideal part of the fans to glue vertical-wise or is it all the same

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I could make a spear-spear

spear-spear is one I always carry around because you can activate certain devices through walls

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I finally got a hoverbike that doesn’t drift

Is there an ideal part of the fans to glue vertical-wise or is it all the same

I gotta fuckin try this again. My hoverbike drifts like Link's riding it 12 beers deep. And that's after I spent a while improving it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Glooms are great for stuff like spear-spear but the durability of weapons when used as attachments is really bad. Still useful to have around tho.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Docjowles posted:

I gotta fuckin try this again. My hoverbike drifts like Link's riding it 12 beers deep. And that's after I spent a while improving it

I forgot what guide I followed but the gist was if you build it upside down with the control stick resting upside down on top of (but not attached to) a stake, the ground can’t cause it to become unaligned. Worked first time for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Klungar posted:

I forgot what guide I followed but the gist was if you build it upside down with the control stick resting upside down on top of (but not attached to) a stake, the ground can’t cause it to become unaligned. Worked first time for me.

Doesn’t it not show up in your auto build history that way? My impression was that your history is only made up of instances where you added a piece

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

(ENDGAME SPOILERS) lol badass

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

"This so-called 'swordsman' is serving... how is this even possible?!"

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

What are those pants and headgear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Tokelau All Star posted:

What are those pants and headgear?

cece’s hat and frostbite trousers aka mambo pants aka link’s slut pants