Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Alucard posted:

Thanks! I also got Bustin' because it makes me feel good.

This is like, so far ahead of the NES game it’s ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Serves me right for trusting the card provided - the 64gb microsd in my Miyoo plus crapped out after less than 1 week of operation. Thankfully installing onionOS was pretty straightforward.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alucard posted:

Serves me right for trusting the card provided - the 64gb microsd in my Miyoo plus crapped out after less than 1 week of operation. Thankfully installing onionOS was pretty straightforward.

After the preloaded card that came with the prebuilt Mister I bought last year crapped out on me during a big fighting game tournament, I learned my lesson. Throw out any cheapo microSD cards that come with these gaming devices.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Back them up first though so you can keep those sweet dollar store knockoff roms.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Is that what to do, get a new system, pop the card and copy it over to something more trustworthy?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean half the ROMs they ship with are bootleg knockoffs, if that's what you're into you do you

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Is that what to do, get a new system, pop the card and copy it over to something more trustworthy?

Either that or start fresh but don’t use those SD cards for long.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Is it sufficient to just grab whatever emulators and game packages or are there gold standards? Or I guess maybe the emulators are on the core device and you just need to bring in the library ( :filez: ). Is it smart enough to associate by file type?

Sorry, probably simple/dumb questions, just devoting whatever little brain space as time permits.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is it sufficient to just grab whatever emulators and game packages or are there gold standards? Or I guess maybe the emulators are on the core device and you just need to bring in the library ( :filez: ). Is it smart enough to associate by file type?

Sorry, probably simple/dumb questions, just devoting whatever little brain space as time permits.

It depends on the device, but usually the OS has the emulators already included, and when you update the OS, the emulators get updated.

You do bring in your own library. Usually the OS documentation/wiki will show the emulators available, which will show which file types they are able to use.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is there any reason to keep the stock OS on the miyoo mini plus? Or is OnionOS better in every way?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Onion is better in every way.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Oh, well this makes my choice easier :lol:

https://powkiddy.com/products/pre-sale-powkiddy-rgb10max3-pro-pocket-handheld-game-console

If anyone has any insight into the differences (I see twice as much RAM but not sure on CPU or anything else), I’d be glad to know. Same price but I’d miss out having it for my upcoming trip.
E2: crap, neither have the hdmi out, and I appear to have missed the sale.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 23, 2023

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

https://powkiddy.com/products/pre-sale-powkiddy-rgb10max3-pro-pocket-handheld-game-console

If anyone has any insight into the differences (I see twice as much RAM but not sure on CPU or anything else), I’d be glad to know. Same price but I’d miss out having it for my upcoming trip.
E2: crap, neither have the hdmi out, and I appear to have missed the sale.

I have no idea about this Amlogic A311D chipset, but

quote:

WIFI:No built-in WIFI(You can purchase a WIFI adapter to realize the WIFI function.)

...is an immediate disqualification for me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think y’alls need to have network on everything is weird. Computer to SD is far more sensible for file transfers and I’m not doing anything I’d care to communicate out.
(It’s retro achievements, isn’t it?)

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

I think y’alls need to have network on everything is weird. Computer to SD is far more sensible for file transfers and I’m not doing anything I’d care to communicate out.

It's save syncing. I have a half-dozen of these devices at this point and I swap between them a lot, not to mention also playing on the PC.
Also being able to SSH in for tinkering in various ways.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 24, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Grassy Knowles posted:

It's boxart scraping for me, I don't give a poo poo about Retro Achievements.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
D) all of the above

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
One of the most important aspects of emulation is emulating the ds opera web browser

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I use it for multiplayer. My girlfriend and I just beat Pocky and Rocky 2, and she was in Spain at the time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

njsykora posted:

This, quite frankly

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

endocriminologist posted:

One of the most important aspects of emulation is emulating the ds opera web browser

:hai:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Do any of the RGB10 Max models have an HDMI or other out to TV? I can’t tell easily from how they’re posted.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Taki just posted his review of the RG nano, and what the gently caress is this thing?

I have never heard of it before and he doesn't say what it is, but it runs FunkeyOS with a 2:3 screen(!)

He mentions that it only cost $29 dollars and that it was a diy kit. I want it. Does anybody have any idea who sells it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm trying to set up my RP3+ for a work trip and for some reason I cannot get SNES roms to launch (every other platform works fine).

The launcher tells me "No core found" but no matter if i choose manual or auto setup, it just kicks me over to RetroArch and nothing I press or click in that interface moves me forward. If I manually choose the SNES9X core ... nothing happens. If I go back to the launcher and try to launch a game, it tells me there's no core.

I've tried removing the system and re-adding it but the issue persists. What gives?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Question for analogue pocket users / havers: today I’m sitting outside and decided to start Mother 3, playing off a gba cart on my analogue pocket. I haven’t really used it much since I got it; probably less than 20 hours total. It’s 81 degrees out, I’m sitting in the shade, and wearing sunglasses so I had turned up the brightness on the Pocket to 100%. When I saved and went to turn it off, the screen felt really warm. Is that normal in your experience?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm trying to set up my RP3+ for a work trip and for some reason I cannot get SNES roms to launch (every other platform works fine).

The launcher tells me "No core found" but no matter if i choose manual or auto setup, it just kicks me over to RetroArch and nothing I press or click in that interface moves me forward. If I manually choose the SNES9X core ... nothing happens. If I go back to the launcher and try to launch a game, it tells me there's no core.

I've tried removing the system and re-adding it but the issue persists. What gives?

uh I think I ran into this and grabbing the retroarch bios pack resolved?

https://archive.org/download/retroarchbiospack1.0312020/Retroarch%20BIOS%20Pack%20%2806-28-2022%29.zip

I think there's also a thing you can download through retroarch that increases compatibility. I don't have a retroid retroarch install in front of me to tell exactly what is.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

Forgive what may be an ignorant question: Is boxart scraping something that needs to be done more than once? If not, why not just transfer said boxart when copying the roms over in the first place?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It shouldn't need to be done more than once per game/batch of games that you put on the device, but if you aren't just dumping an entire ROM set on your device from the get-go you're going to have to do it again every time you add ROMs to the device, and finding where each device stores those boxart JPGs can be tricky, it's easier to just let the device itself handle it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, I haven't found desktop software that'll do it and in my experience devices are super picky about format and file name structures as well as where the image is stored. Having the software just scrape everything and rename it itself how it wants it is much easier. Not to mention that scraping these days will also fill in stuff like year of release, genre, developer and even grab gameplay videos which is super nice if you're scrolling looking for something that looks interesting and don't just want to go off boxart.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I do legitimately find it fascinating how differently people use these things. I also know I’m not the norm and was reminded yesterday as I was playing through a game and my roommate said “oh, so you do have games on that” so I do appreciate the responses

endocriminologist posted:

Except for this one. You’re a monster and you need to know that.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Any wisdom to buying a tablet and loading it with emulators and getting a controller? It may be wildly impractical (or even impossible) but in my mind it could still fill that gap to be portable and also TV-hook-uppable.

Obviously I am doing well in my search and decisionizing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
ETA Prime has tons of "lets try emulation on this highend/cheapass/aliexpress tablets" videos.

I have no idea what ETA stand for.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Any wisdom to buying a tablet and loading it with emulators and getting a controller? It may be wildly impractical (or even impossible) but in my mind it could still fill that gap to be portable and also TV-hook-uppable.

It's the best way to do actual emulation on a handheld device imo

But do you really want to play emulated games? Or would you rather buy your 23rd soc handheld device of the year to dick around with, get it working and looking perfect, load all your games on it, then never pick it up again? Tablet can't do that.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 28, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For the price of most tablets with enough power to do stuff and a decent controller you could just get an Odin.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

For the price of most tablets with enough power to do stuff and a decent controller you could just get a Steam Deck.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I remember getting emulators going on my kids' 2015 amazon fire tablets. They could run at least through SNES/Genesis. I don't think I ever tried anything higher on them. Maybe I'll find one of their 2019 tablets and see if I can get something good running on it.

Edit: They were just sitting on top of the bookshelf. Good god, who designs a tablet that doesn't use usbc? monsters.

otter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 28, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A tablet and controller is a bit too unwieldy I think. Might as well use my laptop which has a full OS and stuff

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

FYI, the Ayaneo Air and Air Pro 5560U are currently 30% off, putting them at around standard Steam Deck prices. They perform on par with the Deck, are small enough to carry around with you, and run full Windows. The battery life on the Pro is significantly better than the Air, but otherwise they're basically the same. They can, of course, be loaded up with emulators also if you want.

https://www.ayaneo.com/goods/7849577742581 (Air)
https://www.ayaneo.com/goods/7849643081973 (Air Pro)

For the tablet thing, I mean you can, but it not being pocketable and having to have a table to set the screen on to play something kinda eliminates the purpose IMO. Probably be great on planes, though. You're not gonna save any money really either.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

I did this with a galaxy tab s8+ and it works great! I just need to remember to charge the controllers…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Taki just posted his review of the RG nano, and what the gently caress is this thing?

I have never heard of it before and he doesn't say what it is, but it runs FunkeyOS with a 2:3 screen(!)

He mentions that it only cost $29 dollars and that it was a diy kit. I want it. Does anybody have any idea who sells it?

"Quanzhi V3S Game Console"

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1NR4y1V7oj/

How to build it: https://oshwhub.com/mlpzaq9998/funkey