Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Better than my S23 Ultra still being on May.

One of the other prior OxygenOS updates fixed my home control issues so I'm actually pretty happy with the OnePlus 11 at this point other then lacking of Pixel exclusive features.

The S23 June update was delayed for some bug fixes, it's being rolled out now if I'm not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just upgraded from a Pixel 4 to 6a. The woman at the kiosk I bought it from says I need to get all new cables, is that for real or was she just trying to upsell me on junk?

I have a pile of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XDYSXGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 of various lengths stashed in my house, car, work, purse, etc. If I gotta get new ones, what would you recommend?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Lone Goat posted:

Just upgraded from a Pixel 4 to 6a. The woman at the kiosk I bought it from says I need to get all new cables, is that for real or was she just trying to upsell me on junk?

I have a pile of these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XDYSXGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 of various lengths stashed in my house, car, work, purse, etc. If I gotta get new ones, what would you recommend?

I think the 6a can make use of charging speeds that aren't supported by any A-C cables. I think.
You could live with having suboptimal charging speed, if you call that living.

If you are switching to C-C chargers, you also need new chargers. But, there is an argument for grabbing good enough ones that you can also charge your laptop with them.

Oh and the 6a comes with a battery protecting charge mode, if you plug it in in the evening it will charge ultra slow and be full exactly when your alarm ring. And even the shittiest charger can deliver that.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
lol no you won't, they use the same USB C spec so you'll be fine.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I use Reminders all the time, nothing fancy with locations or sharing or anything, just notes to myself, sometimes timed and sometimes all-day. For a few weeks now Google has been warning me that they will soon be migrated to "Tasks" whether I like it or not. I read the little explanation they link but I can't tell -- is this the kind of change that is going to piss me off or not?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I use Reminders all the time, nothing fancy with locations or sharing or anything, just notes to myself, sometimes timed and sometimes all-day. For a few weeks now Google has been warning me that they will soon be migrated to "Tasks" whether I like it or not. I read the little explanation they link but I can't tell -- is this the kind of change that is going to piss me off or not?

Honestly I like it better - there was no "reminders" app so you just saw the items in Gcal or a web wrapper (if I remember correctly). This way you have the Tasks app and it sits as a sidebar in Gmail.com

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Pixel Fold post here y'all.

drat I'm glad I ordered. It's awesome! Won't miss my Fold 4 and it's skinny front screen. The Pixel's front screen is so good. It's The Right Size™️

Any questions from you goons?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Do you think it's actually worth for MSRP?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

You don't need new cables unless you want to do something those cables don't. For the absolute fastest charging times, yeah, you would need cables and chargers. If you want the fastest possible data transfer speed (yours are USB 2.0 spec for data), then yeah, you would need new cables. If you're fine with how those cables perform then no, you definitely don't need new cables.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Do you think it's actually worth for MSRP?

Probably, if you are in the foldable market and have the cash. I don't know if I would pay the full price myself though. My Fold 4 trade in took $900 off which made it more palatable. I'm going to sell the Pixel watch since I have a Garmin Epix Pro that's amazing. That should help bring my actual out of pocket down to ~$600 or so. I did get the two year protection so that puts out of pocket back around $1k. They're simply no way I would buy it without the accidental damage protection.

$1799 straight out of pocket (for any phone) is a tough sell, imo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, I don't think any foldable is worth the money. I don't think flagship phones in general are worth the money from a utility perspective either.

Buying beyond a Pixel 7a at this point is pretty frivolous so the value argument left the building awhile ago.

That said, for equal money, I can say after my short time so far today with the Pixel Fold that I would rather have it in my pocket rather than the Fold 4 and I'm glad I ordered it. The form factor is just better.

Maybe the Fold 5 will feel a bit better with a teardrop hinge and fold flat screen, but I have a feeling that making the profile of that feel thinner is actually going to make the extreme candy bar form factor feel even more off.

Even the difference in width between the Fold 3 and 4 was very notification and welcome change.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Launcher recommendations? I used Nova for years, then I've spent a while with OLauncher and KISS. The 7a came in and as I'm getting used to it I'd like to check out other launcher options.

edit: oh also do you still need cases on phones or are they tougher than they used to be? God knows they're huge enough as-is, so if it's mostly safe without these days...

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 29, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pham Nuwen posted:

Launcher recommendations? I used Nova for years, then I've spent a while with OLauncher and KISS. The 7a came in and as I'm getting used to it I'd like to check out other launcher options.

edit: oh also do you still need cases on phones or are they tougher than they used to be? God knows they're huge enough as-is, so if it's mostly safe without these days...

I'm currently using Lawnchair.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm mostly happy with Hyperion. Unfortunately, the options I mostly wanted to try were under "Plus" pay wall, but it is cheap. I find hiding apps/creating folders in the start menu a bit annoying and maybe once a day the home screen doesn't react to me tapping on an icon until I give it a small swipe. Otherwise, it just works as a regular launcher that I'm not asking anything unusual from (I just adjust spacing, hide labels, and clean up the start menu). Works as a replacement of Nova for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

7a has a plastic back that's easily replaced so that's a point towards not using a case, screen is still glass though so if it is dropped and lands wrong you're still likely to have a bad day. That's unlikely to change anytime soon.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I like having a super thin case just to make phones easier to grip and handle, and having at least a modicum of protection is nice.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Can't help on the launcher as I use samsung one ui but as far as cases I use a thin Spigen in the hopes it'll help if it falls. As captainsarcastic said, it also helps with grippiness.

I do wish I could use it caseless though, the 23u is already huge and the tiny increase in width from the case is super obvious when I use it without the case.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pham Nuwen posted:

I tried going caseless with my P6 and got one anyways because it was slippery as gently caress and I dropped it a couple times as a result. Has a small ding on one corner now as a result.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DXO Mark tested the inner display of the Pixel Fold.

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-fold-display-test/

It was said to be using a newer generation panel then the Fold 4 and the results reflect that with top marks in pretty much every category. Oddly enough, the Fold 5 is rumored to be using the same generation panel as the Fold 4.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bull3964 posted:

DXO Mark tested the inner display of the Pixel Fold.

DXO Mark for reviews is like Red Dot Design for awards.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I have a Pixel 6a, and two things have recently happened. Earlier today I got a android system notification reminding me that I should turn off the assistant on any devices I no longer use. I had a few old things in the list so I removed them. About an hour ago, I got another system notification as soon as I authenticated (full screen type of thing) that said that the assistant was not longer available via bluetooth devices and that the voice component had to now use the phone microphone. I didn't parse it too well as I was busy with something else, but then realized that I do actually need that feature. I don't think is said that this was an optional change, and I can't seem to find it in any of the assistant settings to change it back.

Does anyone know if this feature was pulled due to a security thing and is just not available anymore, or is it somewhere in settings that I just can't find? Notably, when I pull up the 'assistant devices' in the assistant settings, I still see my pixel buds, but don't see my other bluetooth headphones (aftershox), though I'm not sure it is a 'full' assistant device. It also doesn't seem to have an option to 'allow voice commands through bluetooth' or an option to add my headphones as a personal device.

Anybody have any advice?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Is this the message you got OP?

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/210342132?hl=en

I got it this morning as well and haven't changed any of those settings recently. I have reread it multiple times and still not sure what it means but I never use assistant with a headset or without.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zenfone 10 released. This year we get wireless charging, SD8 Gen 2, improved gimbal camera system, and better (if still a bit lacking) update process. Still only 2 years of major updates, but they are increasing security updates to 4 years so that may make it a bit easier to accept.

Still the same small size, headphone jack, and the same physical appearance which I thought was great last year. Probably the best small phone on the market if you want a more Pixel approach to Android. Still also only for ATT and T-Mobile (no Verizon support). Q3 launch in the US.

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1674410661621776386?s=20

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
wow that looks very promising

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Zenfone 10 released. This year we get wireless charging, SD8 Gen 2, improved gimbal camera system, and better (if still a bit lacking) update process. Still only 2 years of major updates, but they are increasing security updates to 4 years so that may make it a bit easier to accept.

Still the same small size, headphone jack, and the same physical appearance which I thought was great last year. Probably the best small phone on the market if you want a more Pixel approach to Android. Still also only for ATT and T-Mobile (no Verizon support). Q3 launch in the US.

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1674410661621776386?s=20
they really hosed up by putting the eyeballs the wrong orientation they could have made the wireless charging area a mouth

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Is this the message you got OP?

https://support.google.com/assistant/thread/210342132?hl=en

I got it this morning as well and haven't changed any of those settings recently. I have reread it multiple times and still not sure what it means but I never use assistant with a headset or without.

It seems to be similar, but I thought the one I read said that the assistant would now default through the phone microphone, not the bluetooth device. Right after getting that message I had a bad time getting my phone to hear me, so I assumed it was using the phone mic. Agree that it's not super clear what it means!

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
I just got this too, except I was gesturing back in the awful app when it appeared, so it immediately went away. Full screen notification, saw the word Bluetooth, but the gesture made it go away. Wtf google.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ok I like this separation of personal & work profiles, but I can't figure out how to put a work calendar widget on the home screen. Is this some poo poo that the work admin has to enable?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are you using for work email/calendar? I just tried and could out an Outlook 1x1 widget on my home screen form my work profile.

Edit: although I guess it's just a shortcut? That's dumb.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hooah posted:

What are you using for work email/calendar? I just tried and could out an Outlook 1x1 widget on my home screen form my work profile.

Edit: although I guess it's just a shortcut? That's dumb.

It's Google Workspace.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life on the Fold so far seems...fine?

Been off charge for 6 hours, hour's worth of podcasts, a few short youtube videos, downloading my offline playlists, probably 80/20 split between Folded and Unfolded. 2 hr screen on time and I've used 25% battery. This is also only second day usage too so things will settle down a bit. That's on pace for around 8 hours of screen on time which is around what I can get with my Pixel 7 Pro.

Not flagship leading by any stretch of the imagination, but still solidly "fine"and pretty comparable to what I've seen with the Fold 4 and battery life.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 29, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The review I had been waiting on because, as much as he's Mr. Mobile, he's Mr. Foldable since a foldable has been his primary device for 3 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUKEZM17Rs

In all, nothing too shocking here in general. The cameras beat out the Fold 4 in all the edge cases that you want a better camera, the change in aspect ratio means that he's using the cover screen more than the Fold 3/4 which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He points out the greater chance of foreign objects impacting the screen due to the flat design and the thinness but hasn't had any issue himself. He laments Tensor G2 due to efficiency without it being a dealbreaker. Said calls weren't quite as crisp as the Razr+ he's been testing, but again didn't give an indication that anything was a dealbreaker there. Noted the reflectivity of the inner screen which can hurt full sun viewing even with the brightness it can achieve. He acknowledges that Google Support as a bad rep which is a cause for concern on a device this expensive if issues were to crop up.

However, he's in love with the form factor and fit and finish of the device. His use case is similar to mine in that most of the time if you are using the bigger inner screen it's going to be consuming content, using a browser, or running two apps in split screen, the latter being much more natural and useful on this ratio canvas without having to rotate the phone. He prefers the camera output of the Pixel over the Fold in pretty much every situation.

The final verdict is that it's not a phone for everyone and generally isn't in the buy recommendation for the curious rather than the enthusiast but still thinks it's one of the most significant phone launches recently as Google entering the market is the best chance to get devs to think about large screen layouts when appropriate. Finally, and here's the kicker, he said it will be replacing Samsung in his daily use unless the Z Fold 5 really does something earth shattering which it doesn't appear to be doing. I'm pretty sure the Razr+ also kicked the Flip 4 out of his pocket for the weekend phone, so this will be the first time in awhile that Samsung actually has compelling competition in the US.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I'm having some trouble finding a good way to block spam calls from international phone numbers on my dads Android phone.
They keep calling from +44 / +39, but adding the number to "Blocked numbers" in Phone/Settings via inputting "+44" or "+44*" doesn't seem to work.

Anyone happens to know of a way to block prefixes from calling on Android 10?

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 30, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If I had two thousand dollars to drop on bullshit that is probably the bullshit I would drop it on.

You know, if.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lamquin posted:

I'm having some trouble finding a good way to block spam calls from international phone numbers on my dads Android phone.
They keep calling from +44 / +39, but adding the number to "Blocked numbers" in Phone/Settings via inputting "+44*" or "+44*" doesn't seem to work.

Anyone happens to know of a way to block prefixes from calling on Android 10?
I have this set up to only allow calls from within my country code. I don't actually know if it works as spam calls are exceedingly rare here and I have it set to not notify me if one should occur.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if this is the right thread for this question or not.

About a week ago I found a Galaxy S22 on the side of the road, it's in good condition and it works. I found the devices emergency contact#, I sent that number a text offering to return the phone and I haven't heard anything back. I decided to do a factory reset on the device today using Android Recovery. I was messing around with it trying to setup the phone, however the device still wants the original Google Account that was assigned to the phone. Is there a way to "get around that" (that sounds so devious) so that I could potentially use this phone for myself?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

An observation of the Pixel Fold hinge vs the Z Fold 4 hinge.

The Fold 4, when open, almost completely hides the spine. The back edge of both sides almost meet.

The Pixel Fold, when fully opened, actually has a gap between both sides where you can see the spine.

Why does this matter? Case fitment is better on the Pixel. Both still use adhesive on the left hand edge of the cover screen (and the official google case actually has additional sticky spots on the back case along the edge) but the gap between the two sides when open allow the case to hook around and extend beyond the edges of both panels on the hinge side whereas the Z Fold 4 cases need to end at or before the cover ends on at least one side (but most cases, both) or they might butt up against each other when open and pop the case off. The cover protection on the official Samsung case goes around the edge a little, but the back panel does not at all.

This also keeps the edges more secure in general which can guard against any scuffing from debris that might infiltrate under the case. I would imagine it would keep the case more secure in a drop too. If the Fold 4 lands on an angle on the back edge, the frame is going to take the hit directly and possibly pop off the case. The way the official Pixel Fold case fits, the phone would almost have to land at an exact 90 degree angle in order for the hinge to hit. Otherwise, the extension of the case over the edge of each panel would take the hit.

it's a small thing, but it's certainly one of the advantages of Google using the hinge design they are.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this question or not.

About a week ago I found a Galaxy S22 on the side of the road, it's in good condition and it works. I found the devices emergency contact#, I sent that number a text offering to return the phone and I haven't heard anything back. I decided to do a factory reset on the device today using Android Recovery. I was messing around with it trying to setup the phone, however the device still wants the original Google Account that was assigned to the phone. Is there a way to "get around that" (that sounds so devious) so that I could potentially use this phone for myself?

I don't know the jurisdiction you're in, but you might want to report that to the police so you aren't at risk of a theft charge. Usually you can keep found property after a certain length of time following a report, or at least I think that's the general procedure.

Trickier is if the phone gets reported stolen to the carrier it can be blacklisted from carriers, so it could become a pain to unlock or use in any capacity.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know the jurisdiction you're in, but you might want to report that to the police so you aren't at risk of a theft charge. Usually you can keep found property after a certain length of time following a report, or at least I think that's the general procedure.

Trickier is if the phone gets reported stolen to the carrier it can be blacklisted from carriers, so it could become a pain to unlock or use in any capacity.

Hmmm good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm still liking the Pixel Fold but I keep looking at the $2,250 I paid for it wondering if this is a dumb purchase. I didn't dislike the Samsung Fold 4, but I never really liked it without reservations. The front screen is trash with its candy bar shape and the trademark Sarnsung lag that creeps up over time. Probably the main thing that I miss when the Samsung is the hacks that they implement for the folding screen. The official Reddit app, which we are forced to use now, looks like absolute dog poo poo on the folder screen and I have no hope for them ever addressing it.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to keep the pixel and I've got about 10 days left to figure it out. Either phone would be perfectly fine, honestly... But my Fold 4 was paid for long ago and I keep looking over at it, wondering if the pixel was a stupid buy at this point. I do appreciate the pixel aspect ratio when you hold it unfolded in portrait with an app on top and bottom. But then of course it doesn't have Samsung's hacks to force apps by lazy devs into usable functionality (hi Reddit dumpster fire app). This quandary is quite the first world issue but so far I'm needing towards keeping the pixel. Tune in in a few days to find out what happens next! :classiclol: