Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
All of this really does reinforce how central to maintaining control is Russia's just flooding the zone with contradictory bullshit so that's impossible to figure out what is loving real or not. 2025 we're going to find out Putin died in 2017 and the whole country is being run by a dog Silent Hill 2 style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

weg posted:

So did Putin smell dissent in the air and have Prigozhin do a false flag coup so he could round up any collaborators?

If so lol

Would the loss of aircraft and crew be a part of the plan or just an acceptable price to pay? Seems pretty extreme if the goal is to expose and cull collaborators. Hell, the actual coup itself wouldn't have necessarily had to go down at all if the collaborators had given their blessing prior to Wagner's maneuvers, and that would have been enough to expose and purge them without the shitshow of optics the actual coup gave Putin.

E: it seems this has been covered if I had just kept reading the thread, carry on everyone

Dick Bastardly fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 29, 2023

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
If this were a 5D chess move by Putin to do a fake rebellion, he would be awarding Prigozhin a medal on state TV right now and hanging out with him, not sending him into exile. Wagner is also reportedly falling apart, with most of the combat pilots quitting in protest of their air force friends (as Wagner with specialized training are all ex-military) being killed during the shitshow

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1674174082546384898?t=ePBxllXnl5SM1mehl92PAw&s=19

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

"In the context of Prigozhin. Apparently, he [Surovikin] chose the side of [Prigozhin during the rebellion] and he was grabbed by the eggs," said the second source.

I realize it's a direct translation but "he was grabbed by the eggs" really adds a nice texture. A real "welp".

Sometimes you grab the eggs, and sometimes the eggs, well, they grab you.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Dick Bastardly posted:

Would the loss of aircraft and crew be a part of the plan or just an acceptable price to pay? Seems pretty extreme if the goal is to expose and cull collaborators. Hell, the actual coup itself wouldn't have necessarily had to go down at all if the collaborators had given their blessing prior to Wagner's maneuvers, and that would have been enough to expose and purge them without the shitshow of optics the actual coup gave Putin.

E: it seems this has been covered if I had just kept reading the thread, carry on everyone

One reason I think it's at least slightly plausible is that Prigozhin was allowed to walk away from the debacle. If he doesn't actually march men toward the capital so that people can see and independently document it no one would believe he's actually doing a coup. If Putin already suspected that Surovikin and others were plotting against him or at least dissenting, rounding them up and claiming that's what's happening without some public reason to looks like paranoid mad king poo poo. Very Stalinesque.

As for the aircraft that were shot down it could be argued that some sort of resistance had to be deployed or it would look like the Russian state was totally unprepared in regards of internal security. However doing such a piss poor job of it doesn't help alleviate that image so it probably wasn't this. It could be that loyal commanders saw the lack of Putin responding to the crisis as a way to score points by being the first on the scene, but more likely they started to respond on their own and if he had told them to stand down it would look suspicious.

I don't really subscribe to this theory but I've been trying to work out how this whole mess makes sense and how Prigozhin got a pardon (however temporary) for these shenanigans. There is probably a much more stupid explanation that we might read in someone's memoirs years from now, and that claiming a big event that I don't understand is a false flag is some classic tinfoil hat behavior.

I just want to understand this dumb bullshit lol

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
He got a pardon because Putin is weak and can't make an example out of him because Prigozhin has a ton of support.

The poo poo in his pants isn't a clever fake poo poo plot to make people think he shat his pants while getting them into a trap to.destroy them. He pooped himself. Everyone sees it and is laughing

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

weg posted:

some choice reading for you

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Bike is short for Bichael.

..... There are just a few I can't place, like Diné and (Irish) Gaelic. Half points to Polish for translating automobil to Samochód [self-going].

Car in Gaelic can be: Carr, Gluaisteán, Mótar or Cairt depending on context.

I'm unsure of where you got Diné (my gaelic is EXTREMELY limited btw).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The whole Prighozin story is blyatshit crazy

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

Car in Gaelic can be: Carr, Gluaisteán, Mótar or Cairt depending on context.

I'm unsure of where you got Diné (my gaelic is EXTREMELY limited btw).

Pretty sure that's Diné (AKA Navajo, the language) AND Gaelic.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somaen posted:

He got a pardon because Putin is weak and can't make an example out of him because Prigozhin has a ton of support.

It the "you and whose army?" problem - Prigozhin has what is left of the actual competent soldiers Russia has on offer. Even if it was "just" 5000, thats still a real issue for a military with big issues with manpower and resources fighting a war it's losing.

Let alone there's probably a lot of people who wont follow the order to get Prigozhin.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Pretty sure that's Diné (AKA Navajo, the language) AND Gaelic.

Tried my online Irish dictionary, no mention, Google only brings up "The People"... Navajo so that tracks ok.
------

I hope this attempted coup continues to mess up the russian forces as much as it messes with my head; failure within failure within failure... failure all the way down. :psypop:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It the "you and whose army?" problem - Prigozhin has what is left of the actual competent soldiers Russia has on offer. Even if it was "just" 5000, thats still a real issue for a military with big issues with manpower and resources fighting a war it's losing.

Let alone there's probably a lot of people who wont follow the order to get Prigozhin.

He was marching on Moscow claiming to be fighting against the incompetence and corruption of Shoigu and Gerasimov, whose leadership means shortages and defeat. There were russian army soldiers putting down their weapons and refusing to fight wagner, so the choice was either appear weak and try to make peace, or try to appear strong and risk having a good chunk of the army join the mutiny

The strong thing to do would be to destroy prigozhin for this. He isn't doing that because he is not strong

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

yeah this is probably the best explanation so far, well worth the read

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

This makes sense to me.

lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Didn't expect to wake up to the news of General Copegeddon getting arrested and thrown into Lefortovo, but i'll take it

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

weg posted:

Sometimes you gotta just balance the books.

My difficulty with my co-directors started a long time ago but recently came to a head. They never liked me as I came from a different background and was promoted by different people. Also I am a minority and sometimes hear jokes about dirty brown people in the office, even though I am a director too, but I've always ignored it. It's easy to do since I'm so busy and when I go home I have hobbies like woodcarving to take my mind off work. I've done a good job making sure my boss trusts me.

This is what happened. A director from a different division of my office does all the procuring for his own division. His division was one of the bright spots in our company but when we started to look closely at the accounting, nearly all his transactions looked a bit cooked. We were losing a lot of money but as I said, his division was a success so we didn't press it. But when the CEO, my boss, changed expectations and metrics, the shine on this guy started to come off. And when we tied his bonus to the new expectations, he blew up and started bad-mouthing me publicly and blaming me for his failures.

Because all the public stuff was such a bad look, and because his metrics were off, I recommended we fold his division and inventory into mine (he had a meltdown). And since The Boss was pleased I wasn't going to lay off any of his people since we're in such a competitive space, I got the go ahead.

Then this happened.

Remember when I said the accounting looked off? The guy bad-mouthing me was laundering his account with another director in my division! Holy poo poo! And since I was folding his division and people into my operation, both guys were going to lose money! So to save their skins and their bank accounts, they came after my own job like a hostile takeover, blaming me, the brown guy, for their problems.

Since the Boss didn't want to talk to these guys since he was on vacation, it was all up to me. So I recommended we fire the bad-mouther but the lawyers said not to prosecute since it could cause the worker bees we were getting from him to quit. But I already had the worker bees of the other director so I called the cops and we're going to prosecute the other director. They've got him under the bright lights now.

I can't mention the name of the company but think second best in our field. Anyway, these guys are gone now. I won.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

zone posted:

Didn't expect to wake up to the news of General Copegeddon getting arrested and thrown into Lefortovo, but i'll take it

What is Lefortovo?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sucrose posted:

What is Lefortovo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefortovo_Prison

It was the NKVD's private torture, interrogation, and execution prison, and serves the same purpose today for the FSB (maybe a bit less execution these days)

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

tiaz posted:

To be clear I don't mean to say the Gripen is a bad aircraft or that it can't perform as designed.

I wasn't able to find hard numbers but I would be very surprised to hear that the published 600-800m takeoff distance (which is impressive for a fighter!) is with full fuel, drop tanks, missiles, etc. That isn't to say that capability is useless, but that it isn't directly comparable: the F-16's (and others') published takeoff distance is full load, a "clean" configuration wouldn't take 10kft to get off the ground.

I take back "if you're using your STOL capability you're losing", that was a little spicily framed but was meant to refer to NATO doctrine. If F-16s are trying to operate from improvised strips its NATO operators are probably on the back foot because we emphasize defending our (richly appointed, with their 10kft runways and whatnot) airbases. If you're able to do that then making the tradeoff in other areas of the aircraft to achieve STOL capability might not be worth it, like the F-35B throws away a ton of internal volume and fuel capacity to get the fan that enables vertical takeoff in there but accordingly is not desired by the USAF.

I dug a little bit but I'm not trying to go hard in the paint against you here and those kinds of second-order details can be tricky to find if they're even public. I did find this video but you can see there's no external stores at all apart from a drop tank. :shrug:

I'd be surprised at total inability too but they certainly can't make them anywhere near as fast as they're losing them.

Kilo feet.

KILO FEET

:psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

stratdax posted:

Kilo feet.

KILO FEET

The proper unit is the 'millipede'.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

stratdax posted:

Kilo feet.

KILO FEET

look, aviation's a mess, okay, it's not my fault the US insists on doing altitudes and runway lengths in feet and 10k is easier to read accurately than 10000

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

stratdax posted:

Kilo feet.

KILO FEET

not kilo feet, 10k feet as in 10,000 feet. right?

right??

e: kilofeet is technically correct and i loving hate this

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
just wait till y'all learn about megatons

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Tunicate posted:

The proper unit is the 'millipede'.

:psypop:

You learn all sorts of stuff from this thread, like boat is actually short for boatomobile or whatever. And Putin's a dumbass that isn't using Priggler to stage a fatal mutiny to flush out disloyal generals, he's just an opportunist.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

tiaz posted:

The leader of the Decepticons?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

stratdax posted:

:psypop:

You learn all sorts of stuff from this thread, like boat is actually short for boatomobile. And Putin's a dumbass that isn't using Priggler to stage a fatal mutiny to flush out disloyal generals, he's just an opportunist.

if it makes you feel any better I'm not sure I've run across anyone else using kft. but I'm lazy in my dotage and can't be bothered typing "thousand" :)

Ikasuhito posted:

The leader of the Decepticons?

no, you're thinking of Mr Handy. The leader of the Decepticons was Thunderscreech

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

tiaz posted:

you're not foolin me, smoothskin. they dont like ghouls over there

zone
Dec 6, 2016

According to Fighterbomber telegram channel, the Su-25 that was hit by a MANPADS yesterday was able to return to base. The pilot was pissed off something fierce, apparently.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
We're getting hung up on whether any of this was a good idea or well executed, when all that matters is putin's intent. He's blown up apartment buildings to false flag, he's built his career on ridiculous PR (judo [badly], hockey [badly], speaking a dozen languages [badly]). He kept the Queen and every other head of state he could waiting for him to walk in late as a weird power play. This is the guy who stole a dude's Superbowl ring, made his lackeys bring back his pen, and walked his dogs by Merkel. He built himself a billion dollar palace vineyard because he thinks he's Caesar.

The point is that he's out of touch, increasingly isolated, and puts A LOT of time, effort, and resources into playing his fun little games. I think 7 planes and however many dead guys is an acceptable cost for someone like that to stay in power and purge his political enemies.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

zone posted:

What we need now is to know if he accepts the notions and how far away he sleeps from his toilet.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So Wagner is still recruiting people. The base is still in the same place in Russia.

Something weird is going on with this.

A journalist called a Wagner recruitment # and they told him to show up to Молкин.

If you don't know it's basically Wagner HQ in Russia. The dude called them up today.

The recruiters just like oh good your Russian yeah yeah pop on down we will pay for travel out of your first paycheck and uh don't trust everything you see on TV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.newsweek.com/putin-replace-shoigu-steven-seagal-iranian-reports-defense-minister-1809628

quote:

Is Putin replacing under-fire defense minister with Steven Seagal?
Iranian media outlets spread the claim on Monday, as Sergei Shoigu was forced to deal with the fallout of Yevgeny Prigozhin's rebellion.

The Onion couldnt come up with a headline like this

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

All right I think I need to be checked into a loving mental hospital after reading that loving headline.

Where are the haters who probated me for years for Clancy chat.

THIS IS A loving CLANCY NOVEL

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I mean... poo poo its not like Shoigu has proved to be a strategic genius or anything I can't see how Seagal could do any worse.

He and Putin have a lot in common and I can see why they'd get along. They both poo poo themselves when threatened by someone who is competent.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i’m so happy that i’m alive to see this moment

:rubby:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
im gonna toxx rn if steven seagal gets made MoD just ban me

gigolo i challenge you to do the same

i refuse to post in a reality where theres a defense minister seagal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Actually you know I'd come to think of it you couldn't make a novel about this that was on a shelf and other than a middle of America gas station. On sale for $1.99.

Like the bad guys motives can't even be explained and they fail at everything, they're constantly falling apart while the good guys are just winning constantly. All the rising actions die off immediately including a coup. And for whatever reason they replace the guy who is running the terrible war effort with a guy who is terrible at Tai chi or whatever the hell he does.

I mean he's going to have to run this war from an office chair. They're probably going to have to wheel him out of his house to do meetings with Putin on zoom hopefully Windows XP is secure enough for zoom?

"oh woops I accidentally got mobilized to the donbass while I am a spy"