Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joe Fisto posted:

Do we know if Lex will be the big bad in Gunn's Superman? I haven't read all that much on it.

I think I would like to see a differnt villan first, like Parasite or hell even Toyman and have it build a bit to Lex. Like he's there but he's not the one that's punched into a sky laser in the 3rd act.

They have announced that they are casting for Lex and haven't announced for anyone else. So, they are either keeping it very secret or it is Lex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CapnAndy posted:

Brainiac, I believe they've said.

Quite a strong leap out the gate if that's true.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They have announced that they are casting for Lex and haven't announced for anyone else. So, they are either keeping it very secret or it is Lex.

I think Gunn is good at keeping secrets. I hope it's not just Lex, we have seen that movie a couple times already.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Joe Fisto posted:

Quite a strong leap out the gate if that's true.
I just googled it and apparently it's only a rumor so far.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CapnAndy posted:

I just googled it and apparently it's only a rumor so far.

I'm sure Lex and Brainiac have been the same person before in the comics and the Justice League cartoon, there might be some of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe lex fights superman in a giant robot shaped as a starfish

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Homelander from The Boys is probably the only "topical" supervillain that works, and that's because he's not a 1:1 caricature of Trump, he's just also a powerful sadistic narcissist.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or he wants a loose connection to the previous movies wants to do the prison interview bit from All Star Superman.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The plot is about Superman reconciling his human and Kryptonian selves so Lex'll probably have a Kryptonian partner.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cool, supergirl's gonna get her face punched so hard it turns into pudding

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Joe Fisto posted:

But, running a social media site that allows and encourages tons of hatred and misinformation that could lead to global violence could be a threat. Sure Superman could take down the servers, but how does he change the minds of millions of brainwashed violent people? (the boyscout could find a way surely.)

I don't think the movie should do any of that, but done right it could work.

This was....more or less a Supergirl plot, and she solved it by delivering an inspirational speech.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That plot wanders a bit too close to Wonder Woman 1984 for comfort for me

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

I shouldn’t be sharing these banger ideas with the writers strike going on anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

That plot wanders a bit too close to Wonder Woman 1984 for comfort for me

tbf that was like the first season which was several years before 1984

e: and iirc the speech itself was way less bad than 1984's

site fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 28, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They are allegedly casting for "The Authority" and Jimmy Olsen now that Superman and Lois is finished.

The Authority would likely be the actual Superpowered group that are the villains (maybe not straight villains, but antagonists?) along with Lex.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-legacy-authority-superhero-team/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Authority are perfect for what I sense Gunn wants to do with Superman. Hope it's true.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Grant Morrison Superman vs Authority comic from 2021 was decent, way better than initial Elite story.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Lobok posted:

The Authority are perfect for what I sense Gunn wants to do with Superman. Hope it's true.

Hopefully Cornsweat can bring this energy

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

tbf that was like the first season which was several years before 1984

e: and iirc the speech itself was way less bad than 1984's

Season one was more a mass hypnosis device that Kara dealt with by giving an inspirational speech. I was thinking of the Obsidian North evil VR story from season five that got hosed up by Covid. But let's be honest, most of the season long story arcs on that show got resolved by Kara delivering an inspiring speech.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

They are allegedly casting for "The Authority" and Jimmy Olsen now that Superman and Lois is finished.

The Authority would likely be the actual Superpowered group that are the villains (maybe not straight villains, but antagonists?) along with Lex.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-legacy-authority-superhero-team/

Cast Karen Gillan as Jenny.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

gently caress it, make Luthor a mad scientist again

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I still think the "Marry a rich widow to inherit her fortune and then use that money to research a way to create an island made of kryptonite in the middle of the ocean to give himself an entire new continent of beach-front real estate to sell" Luthor plot is just the right amount of stupid, convoluted, and brilliant to be the perfect version.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I have a terrible soft spot for that movie, even if it is riddled with sex creeps and an absolute waste of Parker Posey.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I still think the "Marry a rich widow to inherit her fortune and then use that money to research a way to create an island made of kryptonite in the middle of the ocean to give himself an entire new continent of beach-front real estate to sell" Luthor plot is just the right amount of stupid, convoluted, and brilliant to be the perfect version.

Reeve-to-Returns con artist, land grab obsessed Luthor is so weird because he has zero representation in any other Superman media. Closest is probably weirdo Luthor from Paul Cornell run that meets Death of the Endless.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

WROOOOONG!

(you know, like he says in the movie)

It dawned on me as I watched the WRONG clip, are people going to look at a bald Lex and think Jeff Bezos? Thats what I thought when I watched the 100p video.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope they have Lois figure out Clark is Superman, I always liked that about Man of Steel. I think it showed how good of a reporter she is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

WROOOOONG!

(you know, like he says in the movie)

i can't lie, even though spacey sucks all these years later that delivery is what occurs to me anytime i think of that word

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I work at a department store and today I realized that we never got any merch for the Flash movie. Like even Black Adam at least got a t shirt.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hell yes more Lex Luthor real estate plots. He's only had those in what like 80% of his movie appearances. Room for way more!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like if you did a real estate Lex Luthor today it would be taken for a Trump thing, which nobody wants.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

Cast Karen Gillan as Jenny.

I always wanted Claudia Black as Jenny, but that ship's probably sailed now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

I work at a department store and today I realized that we never got any merch for the Flash movie. Like even Black Adam at least got a t shirt.

Any merch is Flash merch if you steal it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Joe Fisto posted:

It would be funny if it was revealed that Lex just bought all of his inventions and made them worse

Lobok posted:

I'm in the same camp as other goons that said we don't need Lex to be some kind of commentary or burn on our doofus real-life billionaires. In the same vein as "you can't make an anti-war movie" I feel like when making Lex a satire of Zuckerberg or Musk or Bezos you're actually giving them more credit than they deserve. Faced against someone like Superman those guys would fold faster than... well, Superman on laundry day.

Fangz posted:

Making Lex an idiot just causes problems when you need him to be a threat to Superman. Suddenly every one else has to be an *even bigger idiot*.
There have been a lot of different interpretations of Lex Luthor over the years and there's no reason a "stunningly incompetent but thinks he's brilliant, billionaire born on third base but thinks he's self made, bigoted against poor and minorities, megalomaniacal, murderous, thinks only he can save the world, ends justifies the means, never experienced any consequences in his life, doesn't respect social boundaries, extremely online, failson with daddy issues techbro/venture capitalist" cannot work. Hell, it's just an update of the gilded age era millionaire industrialist. Like Joe suggested, just have him steal credit for his "brilliant inventions" from actual geniuses ala Thomas Edison and weaponize them/make them more dangerous via his incompetence.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 29, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

theironjef posted:

Hell yes more Lex Luthor real estate plots. He's only had those in what like 80% of his movie appearances. Room for way more!

He buys up all the beachfront properties, then exacerbates climate change so he can sell them all to Aquaman.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Take it back to original Superman. Lex is a slumlord and Superman punches him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Joe Fisto posted:

Take it back to original Superman. Lex is a slumlord and Superman punches him.

Superman vs the Klan is a movie I'd watch.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Superman vs the Klan is a movie I'd watch.

Oh I need to read that again

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Assepoester posted:

There have been a lot of different interpretations of Lex Luthor over the years and there's no reason a "stunningly incompetent but thinks he's brilliant, billionaire born on third base but thinks he's self made, bigoted against poor and minorities, megalomaniacal, murderous, thinks only he can save the world, ends justifies the means, never experienced any consequences in his life, doesn't respect social boundaries, extremely online, failson with daddy issues techbro/venture capitalist" cannot work. Hell, it's just an update of the gilded age era millionaire industrialist. Like Joe suggested, just have him steal credit for his "brilliant inventions" from actual geniuses ala Thomas Edison and weaponize them/make them more dangerous via his incompetence.

I'm not saying it can't work. We're all just laying out our personal preferences. Your description sounds a lot like something I was thinking about the other day and something I wouldn't be surprised to see happen given the popularity of the show: a Kendall Roy version of Luthor.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Make Luthor Tony Stark.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
What is Lex's relationship with /view towards The Authority, I wonder. Superman will be coming out as a cape in a world where capes = The Authority, so they're who will have informed Luthor's opinions on supers until he meets Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I could see some kind of Authority with Luthor in charge. Basically like H.A.M.M.E.R. under Osborne