Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Also I just beat Slayers X, and it is very good and perfectly captures a very, very specific moment in history (BUILD engine mods in the mid-late 2000s), but also grab it on Steam if you can - the Game Pass version has some extra bugs that I think are already fixed in the non-Xbox-ecosystem version due to certification delays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mordja posted:

It is telling that after Wrath and Ion Fury's whole, "we're running on old engines!" gimmick all of 3DRealms subsequent games switched to UE or whatever.

The Quake engine is fine, Wrath is just a bloated project with ridiculously oversized levels that don't resue assets enough.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Milo and POTUS posted:

vanilla or tora? Have you played both and are they the same thing

i think tora is the demo with just the first biome, the retail version has 3 biomes that are pretty dramatically different

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCGnQoakOWc

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Been playing this, it's good as hell. The exit tunnel cutscenes are janked, but that's no big deal.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sure, make a fancy raytraced renderer but a decent port with the renderer the game was built for still does not exist. :colbert:

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

The Quake engine is fine, Wrath is just a bloated project with ridiculously oversized levels that don't resue assets enough.
yeah it's great and i wouldn't want it any other way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

They always read like me trying to show my boss that I have actually done something this week.

I have never worked in an office, but that is EXACTLY what they are, god.

I bought the game incidentally as part of a bundle ages ago as I have a firm "don't support any more unfinished games" personal policy, what they've got done is great but dear lord the progress is slow.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

koren posted:

yeah it's great and i wouldn't want it any other way.

It's a lot of fun and I hope it doesn't go tits up. I assume in that case we early accessers are SOL.

huge update for selaco, nearly 200mb which seems hefty for a gzdoom game?

e:
How did civvie turn on the cum blood in Selaco?

Also they did some weapon "rebalancing" and oh boy did they nerf the handgun it feels like. The recoil is insane now

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 28, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Sure, make a fancy raytraced renderer but a decent port with the renderer the game was built for still does not exist. :colbert:
It's in the works.

Milo and POTUS posted:

How did civvie turn on the cum blood in Selaco?
I wanna say that was an asset replacement mod the Beyond Sunset guys kicked out as a rib on their GZ gamedev buddies.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Finished the System Shock remake last night and thought it was overall superb. I always bounced off the original despite being a fan of what SS largely inspired elsewhere, so I don't know what was new and what was simply touched up a bit.
I didn't especially care for the cyberspace bits and by extension the ending, and could see myself putting the difficulty down for that particular element in future playthroughs for achievement hunting.
The game's whole aesthetic is excellent and it's a genuinely gorgeous game throughout. It does seem like the sort of game that would naturally fit with HDR but unless I was missing something I didn't see a native setting. You can force HDR with SpecialK, which I recommend doing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I like that Trepang2 has different settings for violence

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I see that this is technically based on DxX-Retro which is based on DxX-Rebirth. What's the difference between those? Google and the github readmes weren't particular helpful here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'll be honest, that Raytraced Descent doesn't look any good. Sorry.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Modern lighting (even the non-raytraced variety) always looks bad when it's applied to flat surfaces with textures that are supposed to give the appearance of depth IMO

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There’s a certain shininess to all the textures that looks really out of place. I don’t know that the Descent community has the right people to make proper materials for all the textures (although I also have no concept of how many textures Descent actually has, so maybe it’s not that much work). For Doom we’re kinda spoiled because we have people crazy enough to do things like voxalize every sprite. I remember decades ago when that was just an idle daydream on the DW forums, because who would voluntarily do all that work???

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Most of these raytracing upgrades look like poo poo, but the Descent one mostly just looks like prebaked lightmaps in Quake or whatever so it looks okay.

In other news, Civvie gets cheeki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B713P8VVrC8

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
To me there are two issues. One is using a standard physically-based shader on surfaces without proper physically-based materials giving every surface a diffused dull-grey specular highlight. The other is that the lighting information is much higher resolution than the textures, completely eliminating any chance of perceiving the walls as anything other than flat surfaces with low resolution wallpaper. That's kind of inevitable in a situation where the renderer is way higher resolution than the textures, but that doesn't make it look any better. It might be interesting to see the renderer running at a resolution closer to what the original game was running at though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Volte posted:

To me there are two issues. One is using a standard physically-based shader on surfaces without proper physically-based materials giving every surface a diffused dull-grey specular highlight. The other is that the lighting information is much higher resolution than the textures, completely eliminating any chance of perceiving the walls as anything other than flat surfaces with low resolution wallpaper. That's kind of inevitable in a situation where the renderer is way higher resolution than the textures, but that doesn't make it look any better. It might be interesting to see the renderer running at a resolution closer to what the original game was running at though.

The Quake 1 RT port ended up feeling like a diorama a lot of the time, with cardboard backdrops and little painted wooden models moving around. And... I didn't hate it? It honestly grew on me a lot, as an aesthetic. Not universally appropriate, but cute.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 28, 2023

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Maximalist mega-mod Mjölnir matriculates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgBg2sEmqA

As of the time of posting this, there's a big 1.0 download and also a separate "patch 1" download to get, on its Slipseer page.

Currently episodes 3 and 4 are available, with episodes 1 and 2 being pushed to a future release. In true Quake style it doesn't actually matter in what order you play the episodes, although between 3 and 4 they recommend playing 3 first since 4 has a lot of mega-size maps.

This is truly gonzo stuff, just turning the dial to 11 with monsters/weapons/maps. (It's based on the Keep mod, whose mission statement is basically "collect everything from all the other big mods".) Don't come in looking for fine-tuned balance and iron-handed art direction.

There are also several known issues, especially a couple of things worth mentioning about which Quake engine to use:
* If using Ironwail (recommended), make sure to use 0.7.0 or later. If the official Ironwail crashes on some maps (particularly mj4m4), try the included build of Ironwail (Windows only). This is a buffer-limit problem that the Ironwail dev can hopefully address in next release.
* A review comment on the Mjölnir page mentions needing to add "-heapsize 1048576" argument to Ironwail for best performance when using patch 1.
* If using vkQuake, use 1.20.0 rather than the latest version. Since vkQuake development has ended this is probably the way it's going to be.

So in a lot of ways this reminds me of early super-ambitious Quake mod releases, and I love it for that. Haven't had a chance yet to play too far into it myself though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a lot of fun and I hope it doesn't go tits up. I assume in that case we early accessers are SOL.

huge update for selaco, nearly 200mb which seems hefty for a gzdoom game?

Just because it uses gzDoom doesn't mean it can't be fairly large.

For comparison, I cracked open the Hedon pk3; it's nearly 900MB unpacked, with ~350MB being the maps (it turns out that huge, obscenely detailed maps take up a fair bit of room) and another 300MB being the soundtrack. Then 100MB of sprites, 50MB of SFX. The 3d models, textures, scripts, etc fit into the remaining <100MB. From what I've seen of it, Selaco's maps are even more finely detailed than Hedon's, so...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Finished the System Shock remake last night and thought it was overall superb. I always bounced off the original despite being a fan of what SS largely inspired elsewhere, so I don't know what was new and what was simply touched up a bit.

I've only played up to the end of deck 6, but I can answer this for what I've seen so far, for yourself and anyone else who is wondering.

The level design is almost completely untouched. It's all a lot prettier and more detailed, but it also follows the original so closely that I can refer to maps of SS1 to locate items and points of interest in SSR and be correct 99% of the time. The one major exception is the Groves, which have been completely redesigned; there are still some commonalities with the original but they're much more "inspired by" than "based on".

The player's bag of tricks has seen some shuffling. Some weapons have been removed as useless (the stungun and riot gun) or overly similar to other weapons (the dartgun and blaster), or merged together (the AR3 also takes on the role of the Skorpion from the original, while the remake Skorpion is more like the original's flechette machinepistol), and two new ones (the shotgun and grenade launcher) is added. The division between timed and impact explosives is gone; all grenades are timed if thrown and impact if launched. All patches and items now have usage animations, which is actually a significant nerf to the player; in the original, weapon switching, grenade arming/throwing, and patch/item application all happened as fast as you could press the buttons.

The whole weapon upgrade thing is new to the remake, as is the recycling/vending subsystem. The player's inventory is also a lot more limited; in the original you could carry 8 weapons, 13 "general items" like medkits and batteries, and unlimited patches, grenades, and ammo.

Enemies are all straight from the original. A few have gotten new attacks or abilities, like the warriorborg's shield or the assassin's love of prox mines. Diegoborg and the Reavers have been dramatically buffed. Enemies in general seem to be smarter and more aggressive than in SS1, and in some areas the respawn ecology has been tweaked to respawn nastier enemies than in the original (e.g. deck 1 will respawn both cyberdrones and mutants rather than mutants only); combined with the fact that switching/using items now takes actual time and combat, at least on difficulty 3, is noticeably harder than the original.

Most of the notes and audio logs are still there, although a lot of the audio logs seem to have been rewritten to convey the same information in a terser and more straightforward way; at some point I want to do a side by side comparison to see how dramatic the differences actually are. SSR also adds a lot of logs based on Kickstarter submissions which aren't bad but also contribute nothing and are best skipped; a missed opportunity to flesh out what life on pre-SHODAN Citadel was like, IMO.

The thing that's seen the most heavy changes is cyberspace. C/space handles a lot more like Descent now, and c/space levels are longer and much more combat-focused. It's definitely more accessible to a new player but I don't think it's actually more fun, just less confusing. I think they would have done better here to stay closer to the original; not in making c/space more confusing, but in having shorter, denser c/space levels with less combat and more non-combat things to poke at like SS1's data fragments.

Overall, I don't agree with all the changes, but it is loads of fun and very much a remake that largely trusts the original's design decisions and just brings them up to modern tech standards rather than trying to re-invent the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy gently caress, Civvie is playing STALKER, I never thought I'd see the day.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Take No Prisoners, CyClones and Necrodome are out on GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/promo/2023_sneg_promo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

watching the Necrodome trailer hit me right in the nostalgia zone. played it SO much back in the day

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Take No Prisoners, CyClones and Necrodome are out on GOG: https://www.gog.com/en/promo/2023_sneg_promo

Nice. Cyclones looks interesting but potentially a headache to control.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Had Cyclones at the time, game's a fuckin dog

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Deakul posted:

Holy gently caress, Civvie is playing STALKER, I never thought I'd see the day.

"Cheeki Breeki Meme Game" is the best way to describe S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ever.

Soon as I'm done with other games I'm fixing to try the Call of Chernobyl mod for Call of Pripyat and I can't wait.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've only played STALKER on a junk PC I made from spare parts I found at the tip, so it was at 640x480 at lowest settings at about 20FPS. I keep thinking I need to revisit it now I have a PC that can do it justice, but can never decide what mods to use and end up giving up before I've even started :eng99:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cynically, I think I'll continue to prefer ShoC/CoP/Anomaly/etc. for its 15 years of modding WELL after STALKER 2 comes out. It reminds me a little bit of Jagged Alliance 2, which has a number of preposterously complex mods at this point--the various sequels for the game have been junk, but even if they were good, they still probably wouldn't hold a candle to the things the community was able to produce over years and years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Convex posted:

I've only played STALKER on a junk PC I made from spare parts I found at the tip, so it was at 640x480 at lowest settings at about 20FPS. I keep thinking I need to revisit it now I have a PC that can do it justice, but can never decide what mods to use and end up giving up before I've even started :eng99:

haha hell yeah i think my laptop at the time could manage 720p on minimum settings but i also played the entirety of shadow of chernobyl at about 20-25 fps and loving loved every second of it. amazing game. very fond memories of savescumming my way through that first military checkpoint by picking the guys off with my lovely pistol from atop the rail bridge

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The vibes in SoC are unmatched. Absolute classic. Still looks amazing today, the lighting model they designed at the time was absolutely insane.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I thought the panini joke was hilarious. What's the movie clip where they're saying zendaya

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

STALKER 2 comes out.

Sorry to break it to you, but STALKER 2 is never going to come out.

Shadow of Chernobyl is still a groundbreaking masterpiece that doesn't need any mods to be fun and playable today.

Call of Pripyat is a fun sandbox game that delivers on giving you more of a STALKER experience with more things to play with, and again doesn't need mods.

That being said, the STALKER modding scene is crazy these days. Going from stuff like the masochistic Misery back in the day, to the expansive Call of Chernobyl, to Anomaly, to now GAMMA. GAMMA is an automated mod pack that serves as a kind of expanded on fork of Anomaly. Anomaly being a standalone STALKER game (yes, free to download) which does the same sort of thing that Call of Chernobyl does in mashing all the STALKER content together but applying some polish and tweaks.

That's my recommendation for getting into STALKER: Appreciate the original, maybe dabble with the last one, and if you wanna go whole hog, set up GAMMA.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

How do the STALKER games play on Deck? I have them sitting in my library but never got into them.

e: I guess what I'm really asking is, is a controller ok or should I stick to m+kb?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Come join us in the STALKER TALKER

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

quiggy posted:

How do the STALKER games play on Deck? I have them sitting in my library but never got into them.

e: I guess what I'm really asking is, is a controller ok or should I stick to m+kb?

Probably very poorly. It's an FPS-RPG with a lot of different controls on the keyboard, and only runs on Windows machines. Find yourself a Windows PC to play it on.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jehde posted:

I'm calling 2026 right now :getin:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ToxicFrog posted:

but also contribute nothing and are best skipped; a missed opportunity to flesh out what life on pre-SHODAN Citadel was like, IMO.

There's quite a few of these though. In the private quarters on the Security level every log in there is just about a TriOp employee's ho-hum personal life. The one that makes me the saddest is the one gal who breaks up with her girlfriend :cry:

Just got dumped, about the be lobotomized by a cyborg monstrosity, spilled my soda on my favorite shirt...

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

quiggy posted:

It runs flawlessly with Proton on Linux, but i've not tried it on the deck yet. Controller/deck might be more difficult, but looks like some people have been successful judging from the comments on ProtonDB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jehde posted:

Shadow of Chernobyl is still a groundbreaking masterpiece that doesn't need any mods to be fun and playable today.

Call of Pripyat is a fun sandbox game that delivers on giving you more of a STALKER experience with more things to play with, and again doesn't need mods.

That being said, the STALKER modding scene is crazy these days. Going from stuff like the masochistic Misery back in the day, to the expansive Call of Chernobyl, to Anomaly, to now GAMMA. GAMMA is an automated mod pack that serves as a kind of expanded on fork of Anomaly. Anomaly being a standalone STALKER game (yes, free to download) which does the same sort of thing that Call of Chernobyl does in mashing all the STALKER content together but applying some polish and tweaks.

That's my recommendation for getting into STALKER: Appreciate the original, maybe dabble with the last one, and if you wanna go whole hog, set up GAMMA.

Did the community ever realize a better vision for Clear Sky. Is it just not worth it ever. I've only played it the one time forever ago