Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The Lockhorns is also way cleverer about it than anything else still doing that bit in the 2020s, and in the fiction of the comic they make it clear that their mutual scorn is exceptional. I've really come around on that strip and it's now one of my favorites. Amusingly, although technically a legacy strip, one of the two cartoonists, Bunny Hoest, is the wife of its original creator.

It also helps that it breaks it up with stuff that's them being mutual miserable about something going on (bills are a common one), a laugh at their equal expense (insurance, therapy), or are frequently around other normal people that do not exhibit their behaviors. Like how it's ultimately "women be shopping!" or "women can't drive" at its core, but the conceit of the joke is also no really Loretta be shopping crazy while her friends arent and Loretta is coming into the house with just a steering wheel; "men be drinking!" or "men be lazy!" but it's frequently shown that Leroy is the big drunk even at the bar with other people or Leroy is literally shown being lazy even in company of others.

Also they literally go to a marriage counselor. It makes no bones about the conceit of itself and focuses it purely in the lens of "those two".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (March 17-19, 1924)

Tonight's escapade with the Major is brought to you by the culinary triumph of the electric age: toast! Without flame or kindling! What a time to be alive!

Having said that, the boys at the gas company would like to have a word with you.

Toonerville Folks (May 23-25, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Deelgemeente (October 21, 1914, and yes, I picked a random word from the Wiktionary)

Little Lefty (October 6-8, 1938)

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Usually I grok the dated punchlines pretty well but this one's eluding me. I got to "blocking cookies" but I can't recall how Sony is involved.

They had a massive data breach. "On November 24, 2014, a hacker group identifying itself as "Guardians of Peace" leaked a release of confidential data from the film studio Sony Pictures entertainment (SPE). The data included personal information about Sony Pictures employees and their families, emails between employees, information about executive salaries at the company, copies of then-unreleased Sony films, plans for future Sony films, scripts for certain films, and other information"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bruceski posted:

Usually I grok the dated punchlines pretty well but this one's eluding me. I got to "blocking cookies" but I can't recall how Sony is involved.

I think it's a reference to the Sony Pictures Hack that would have became public in November of the previous year, and still have been in the newscycle when the comic was being written.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
So I got that it was a "joke" about the Sony hack, and I know Holbrook is the undisputed master of torturing a visual metaphor, but what the gently caress did the Sony hack have to do with a rabbit blocking...cookies? Hockey pucks? with his ears?? :psyduck:

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

csammis posted:

So I got that it was a "joke" about the Sony hack, and I know Holbrook is the undisputed master of torturing a visual metaphor, but what the gently caress did the Sony hack have to do with a rabbit blocking...cookies? Hockey pucks? with his ears?? :psyduck:

Cookies because browser cookies, ears because species has trait

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery
That bottom row is so good. :roflolmao:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Cookies because browser cookies, ears because species has trait
See I know it could be cookies because internet but I think those are hockey pucks and he's trying to play goalie and why not torture a metaphor further. Actually wait hold on let me check the tags.

...c'mon man make it easier on me winning arguments online. I guess it's both?

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
lol the tags even hint that he knew the Sony hack involved malware and had gently caress-all to do with cookies or hockey. Holbrook you loving madman.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

are the tags user-defined? even more lol if so

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Nothing like going down to the reopening of the old majestic and seeing [checks notes] the weepy retelling of a woman slowly dying of cancer.

Yeah this is the part that annoys me the most.

Tombat's refusal to understand or learn about how anything works strikes again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:ghost: "What part of 'gently caress off and escape' did you not understand?"
:blaster: "But I wanna kill people!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Gil Thorp

Again it's wild to me the Luann writers don't even seem to sense how racist they made Gunter's mom come off by being so friendly with Tiffany and so hostile to Bets. The scene where they all had dinner was really egregious.

Edit: I've caught up and maybe they did actually notice and are trying to walk it back lol

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 29, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

i thought they were hockey pucks and my brain ground to a halt trying to figure out the metaphor

i still don't understand it, but at least now i don't understand the correct thing

e: lmao to posting that before reading this page

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 29, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Hellworld Presents: An Argument for Trains

The way Holbrook's idea of peaceful co-existence involves the vulnerable class of people endangering their lives by being forced to spend time with people who can just murder them for a free meal is one of the worst parts of this comic.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

So their idea to help is to... run toward the danger like a couple of dumbasses and film the entire thing like how some ghoulish Youtubers post videos of people who are caught in/dead from accidents?

mycatscrimes posted:

Again it's wild to me the Luann writers don't even seem to sense how racist they made Gunter's mom come off by being so friendly with Tiffany and so hostile to Bets. The scene where they all had dinner was really egregious.

Edit: I've caught up and maybe they did actually notice and are trying to walk it back lol

Yeah, I agree that they're trying to walk it back. Considering that the comic has done its best over the years to remove every PoC or queer character in the comic, it's impossible to give Team Evans the benefit of the doubt with how they're treating Bets.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:ghost: "What part of 'gently caress off and escape' did you not understand?"
:blaster: "But I wanna kill people!"

I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to venture a guess that Phantom shoots her to send us into fifteen weeks of flashbacks, forwards, side-plots, and then MAYBE end the story arc.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hwurmp posted:

cr-runch

I guess he got so horny he clenched his jaw hard enough to crush his teeth.

We've all been teens, we get it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

ahhhh jesus, this is the Ben that Laurence mentioned was a medical student, you do not see him again after tomorrow.

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 29, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

To think that three days ago the strip had effort art, suggesting the start of a new batch and... Nope! The sheer laziness of panel 3, look at that panel 4. Lol, lmao. You can hear Jules drop her tablet pen and say "good enough, nobody likes this piece of poo poo strip anyway."

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
The neck in panel 3 is just wonderful. "Hmmm, do I show Mark looking through his phone camera, or have him face the reader? Why not both?"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 29, 1957)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I guess he got so horny he clenched his jaw hard enough to crush his teeth.

We've all been teens, we get it.

So it's like this story, then? :v:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I wanna know what someone completely blind to the comic would make of the insanity in this strip? What kind of premise would they think this comic has?

Doomykins posted:

To think that three days ago the strip had effort art, suggesting the start of a new batch and... Nope! The sheer laziness of panel 3, look at that panel 4. Lol, lmao. You can hear Jules drop her tablet pen and say "good enough, nobody likes this piece of poo poo strip anyway."

The art's one thing, but what really bothers me is should these two even be approaching a disaster site? Like, maybe if the train exploded then you should leave this to trained (:v:) professionals? And it's not like they're looking for injured people that need helping, they're just filming the drat thing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/28/03

Brenda Starr 4/8/51

Smokey Stover 7/10/55

Everyday Movies 7/23/36

"Will ya lend me a penny, Duke? I don't wanta bust that dime I've got."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/5/41

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Twist! These tired, feeble elderlies are easily captured by the baddie and used as bait in place of the kidnapped pets. It's blood and screams all next week in the funny pages.

Also, the big bad turns out to be Wilbur (obviously).

quote:

The Phantom

Some Maeby Fünke vibes from that smile, there.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

I was under the impression ChatGPT and the like could already do that.

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 19, 1935)

Peanuts (July 1, 1976)

Crankshaft

Syphilis can be a shared experience, too. Not one that a lot of people would recommend, though.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 1, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (March 5-7, 1942; spoilers for the usual reasons)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rude. Baseball demonisation is not good for your manners.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I dunno what Hardy is up to but it's leaning pretty heavily into creepin'. Just tell her off and move on!

Jucika "108 - Jucika Is Cleaning"

"109 - Jucika Wants To Go To Rome"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I just got caught up with this thread after falling off for like two weeks. Not sure which was worse, Rex Morgan's "Well, now that we've graduated, we teenagers should sit down and have a dry discussion about our sensible futures" date or the fact that NOTHING has happened in Mary Worth other than teasing "Wow, these small dogs are dead, for sure!" day after day.

Oh wait, I forgot about Luann's "I hope our HOUR LONG video goes viral; alright, now that that's done, let's not have any physical intimacy" installment.

I've said it before in these threads, but The Lockhorns is great because Leroy and Loretta are cranky about everything. They commiserate about shared annoyances just as much as they snipe at one another, and we routinely see that they both have their own foibles. It's not the 50's "Wife is a blank slate and/or harpy; husband gripes about his ball-and-chain" crap.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I went to prom more than once. The girls look slightly more glammed up than usual, the guys still look like awkward dorks in too-big formalwear and they've slathered on more hair product than usual. (Also, the strip with Daddy Horny for his son's girlfriend sure was...something.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Easy bingo card with so many free squares

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

JethroMcB posted:

Oh wait, I forgot about Luann's "I hope our HOUR LONG video goes viral; alright, now that that's done, let's not have any physical intimacy" installment.

you misunderstand - they spent at least an hour doing reshoots for the equivalent of an insta reel or tiktok

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "108 - Jucika Is Cleaning"

I think this is my favorite Jucika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights