Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I think I got most of my scale model channel recs from the previous times this question has come up, so I'll point out a different style of scale modelling and recommend some peaceful dollhousue and diorama making channels

Someone who wants to make something

Hanabira工房

HMS2 - ハムスターのミニチュア工房2

They're very relaxing and do some really interesting projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bobby Fingers

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sprues n Brews has some pretty good military modeling content, but has lately taken a half turn to become more of a military history channel and there's already way too many of those.

On a related note, the Imperial War Museums has a good channel that has in the past year or so started to make great 10-15 minute overviews of various planes in their collection that are very accessible introductions. A couple models have been added to my wishlist because of this.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hey folks, another painting question from me :cheers:

So over the last few days I was trying to finish a batch of parts but ran into a strange issue when I got to the matte varnish step. I use the acrylic varnish from vallejo and apply it with a brush while taking care to not have pooling or leave bubbles behind. However I started to notice tiny white specks showing up on some parts some of the time.

Check this glorious pic to see what I mean

At first I thought the paint layer was getting attacked but I primed with light grey and didn't use any white paint so that explanation was out. Then I thought it might be little pieces of dust that got stuck to the varnish layer while it is still drying since there currently are some windy hours during the day in my area. So I moved the drying pieces into a room where the windows are closed most of the time but it still happened. Then I did some digging on google and found some people asking a similar thing. The replies there pointed to it being frosting or rather miniscule accumulations of the material in the varnish which dried without enough moisture around it. So I guess I could have painted too thin overall?

Anyway now my question is if this would be the case or if any of you have another explanations for this? I do think I should mention that it's pretty warm in my area right now and the varnish also dries rather fast due to the temperature. Like when I do a drop into a little cup it dries up in a minute or two which probably isn't ideal conditions. I spent a lot of time painting over white specks and varnishing the area again in the last days and I'm really sick of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Thanks for the channel recommendations!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tidal wave emulator posted:

My favourite modelling YouTube channels are ones which are just quite relaxing to watch, like Luke Towan/Boulder Creek Railroad for dioramas and Studio Blue Ocean for ship & sea dioramas.

PLASMO for aircraft/armour modelling and Night Shift for armour are essentials too.

Studio Blue Ocean does some ridiculous builds, the video is downright hypnotic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RkVUbtLRS0

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
apologies if this is a dumbass question. i've never built a scale model before but i like building lego cars. is there a common recommendation for a brand car models that are good for a beginner to jump in to?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Sunk Dunk posted:

apologies if this is a dumbass question. i've never built a scale model before but i like building lego cars. is there a common recommendation for a brand car models that are good for a beginner to jump in to?

Tamiya is probably the easiest to get into. More importantly than model company, be sure to pick a car you are excited about. That way, most flaws won't bother you as much.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Bandai is the closest thing to Lego in the scale model world. You can pop parts off the sprue and mash them together and it will look good even without paint. I don't know if they do cars though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ensign Expendable posted:

Bandai is the closest thing to Lego in the scale model world. You can pop parts off the sprue and mash them together and it will look good even without paint. I don't know if they do cars though.

Yeah, Bandai is definitely a step above everyone but they don't make car models, iirc. They do make Star Wars models, though, and that might be interesting!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I didn’t realise the Bandai Star Wars kits were like Gundam kits - coloured plastic and snapfit - until now. I guess there’s a lot of white and grey so it didn’t click and I know they marked the big Millenium Falcon as PG (Perfect Grade) but my brain didn’t take it in. Is that true for all their Star Wars range?

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 29, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

What kind of cars are you into?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DRINK ME posted:

I didn’t realise the Bandai Star Wars kits were like Gundam kits - coloured plastic and snapfit - until now. I guess there’s a lot of white and grey so it didn’t click and I know they marked the big Millenium Falcon as PG (Perfect Grade) but my brain didn’t take it in. Is that true for all their Star Wars range?

For anything after like 2002 or so, probably. For everything after 2010 or so, absolutely.

e: here, have a look: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/sw.htm

e2: v thanks for the year correction!

Kibner fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 29, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Around 2010-2012 is when Bandai's kits start REALLY hitting their stride and pulling off good colour separation in parts instead of stickers. It's when they standardized a bunch of scaling in their Gundam kits too so you can mix and match pieces.

And now their 30 Minute Mission line is a terrible bane to my wallet... :shepspends:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

There are some great recommendations here for YouTube channels.

My absolute favorite is Boylei Hobby Time. He makes small dioramas, many times by kit bashing certain elements of a build, and they are great. His videos are all short in length and fun to watch. My kids actually love watching his videos with me every week. Been a Patreon subscriber of his for awhile now too. Great stuff!

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
With some house renovations coming up on completion, I'm about to come into a large amount of extra desk real estate, and I figured it was as good a time to get into modeling as ever. My only experience is collecting and painting (poorly) some Warhammer as a teenager. I'm looking at some of those airfix and revell starter kits, with paint etc, I know I will need additional tools, side cutters, files etc, but are they generally a good starting point? I have basically no knowledge about brands, I was just planning on walking into a store and picking a plane or car that took my fancy, should I just focus on finding something I like rather then picking a brand?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Thanks for the recommendations. I've never built a model before, so I'm going to have to buy a bunch of the basics. I think I'm going to build the Tyrrell P34 Six Wheeler

Besides the paint, I was planning on getting a cutting mat, some putty, basic brushes, thinner, plastic cement, knife set, masking tape, and some tweezers. Does it look like I'm missing anything, or is any of this stuff unnecessary? Here's my current list of things to buy:

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Sunk Dunk fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2023

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Griffball posted:

With some house renovations coming up on completion, I'm about to come into a large amount of extra desk real estate, and I figured it was as good a time to get into modeling as ever. My only experience is collecting and painting (poorly) some Warhammer as a teenager. I'm looking at some of those airfix and revell starter kits, with paint etc, I know I will need additional tools, side cutters, files etc, but are they generally a good starting point? I have basically no knowledge about brands, I was just planning on walking into a store and picking a plane or car that took my fancy, should I just focus on finding something I like rather then picking a brand?

If you're a beginner start with Tamiya kits.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Griffball posted:

I'm also a recent returnee to the hobby and below is a couple of things I've managed to pick up.

Brand wise I think Tamiya is the right choice for a beginner. I don't know much about their car models but if it's anything like their military kits it will be top notch and go together very well with good instructions.
I understand the newer Airfix kits are quite good too.

Many options for paint. Personally I have chosen the water based acrylics route due to kids and odors.
For acrylics Vallejo and AK Interactive (if you can look past some of the cringe marketing) are two brands I use.
Tamiya, again, has great paint if smell and noxious fumes is not a problem.

I started with an inexpensive model tool kit from Amazon. It had a cutter, a diamond file, andsome abrasives. It served me well and I knew better what to look for when I needed an upgrade.

quote:

Besides the paint, I was planning on getting a cutting mat, some putty, basic brushes, thinner, plastic cement, knife set, masking tape, and some tweezers. Does it look like I'm missing anything, or is any of this stuff unnecessary? Here's my current list of things to buy:

Looks like a good list to get started with! I think a big part of the hobby is discovering what tools and accessories you like and prefer.

Help me, I'm in masking hell!
A four color splinter camo. Masking over all the greebles really sucks. I hope it will be worth it in the end.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Griffball posted:

In my experience the Revell starter kits aren't really worth the extra money vs the normal edition. The included brush is average at best and highly variable in quality, the paints are only 3 or 4 of the total colors required, and are in pretty small sizes. The only good part is the little glue bottle. One recommendation is to look up kits on Scalemates beforehand and make a wishlist of subjects that interest you, and check the manuals and reviews as well so you don't run the risk of picking up something ancient in a shiny new box. Revell kits tend to rely on mixing for colors they don't have and only sometimes mention the FS/RAL/RLM equivalent, although this mainly affects planes. It also helps to check manuals for the same subject from other brands as those will have more paint information in them.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks Kibner and Neddy. Don’t know how I missed that about the Bandai kits because I love an occasional gundam build.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
For hard edge camo masking over greebles, use silly putty. Don't bother buying the model branded making putty, it's all just marked up silly putty anyway. Buy the cheap dollar store stuff and go to town. For splinter patterns, use thin tape to create the geometry, then fill voids with putty.

A big ol wad of silly putty is one of my most versatile tools and I use it constantly.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I've never built a model before, so I'm going to have to buy a bunch of the basics. I think I'm going to build the Tyrrell P34 Six Wheeler

Thanks in advance for the help!!

That looks like a pretty comprehensive list. I'd get regular Tamiya Extra Thin rather than the quick-setting variant, but that's a personal thing as it gives you slightly more working time and a stronger bond. I'd also get various grades of sanding sponges (I've just picked up the Infinity ones and they're great) as these are much easier to work with than sanding paper.

Are you planning on airbrushing or brush-painting? Tamiya isn't the easiest paint to brush paint, although it's definitely doable as I know some folk who use it exclusively, as the solvent in it can sometimes lift previous coats if you go on too thick. I'd look up specific tutorials for brush painting with Tamiya and invest in their thinner and retarder to slow its drying time. Water-based paints like Vallejo are easier to brush paint, but when you're starting out it's a lot easier to go with the paints called out in the kit manufacturer's references rather than trying to cross-reference them to equivalents.

I'd grab a can of Tamiya fine surface primer too.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Glass files are worth looking into. You can get some cheap ones that work well or shell out for a Raser. Gunprimer also has some good sanding sponges, but they are mostly for getting a glossy look, which may not be needed if you are painting.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The only thing is the color lineup in the kit is a little weird. I think maybe you did scope out the colors you’ll need already though. In that case carry on.

If not, some aren’t going to be overly useful for automotive kits. You could buy it and hang onto them or price out what the essentials from the kit and the paint colors you need.

Not sure one way or the other will save you a lot of money, but you may need a fair number of colors in addition to those.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 29, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
thanks for the advice all, i bought most of what i need (i think). we'll see once i actually get going

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

thanks for the advice all, i bought most of what i need (i think). we'll see once i actually get going

A little jealous of whoever your local shop is that you could just go in and grab that all. Unless that's mail order with super fast shipping.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sunk Dunk posted:

keep the cap on the extra thin glue tight or it’ll evaporate away p quickly

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

stealie72 posted:

A little jealous of whoever your local shop is that you could just go in and grab that all. Unless that's mail order with super fast shipping.

Oh yeah, I must have a good shop. I was just able to walk in and grab everything today

Raskolnikov38 posted:

keep the cap on the extra thin glue tight or it’ll evaporate away p quickly

good to know, thanks!

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

In my experience the Revell starter kits aren't really worth the extra money vs the normal edition. The included brush is average at best and highly variable in quality, the paints are only 3 or 4 of the total colors required, and are in pretty small sizes. The only good part is the little glue bottle. One recommendation is to look up kits on Scalemates beforehand and make a wishlist of subjects that interest you, and check the manuals and reviews as well so you don't run the risk of picking up something ancient in a shiny new box. Revell kits tend to rely on mixing for colors they don't have and only sometimes mention the FS/RAL/RLM equivalent, although this mainly affects planes. It also helps to check manuals for the same subject from other brands as those will have more paint information in them.

Ended up picking up this kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60788-f-16cj-block-50-fighting-falcon--644291

After a couple of hours of fiddling I had to stop myself as it was obvious I was missing things that would make my life easier, a little pin drill for the holes, couldn't do them cleanly with a model knife, tweezers, no way I can do the decals without tweezers.

Also got a few paints but missed a few, but I had none of the other supplies i need to painting acrylic, alcohol and mixing dishes. Realised I didn't want to get much further without getting things like the cockpit painted. Good learning experience so far, as I really thought I would just put the whole thing together and paint. Definitely ate a couple hours of my life just getting to grips with the two or three steps I've done so far.

This could get dangerous for my wallet. Already thinking about an airbrush booth in my new mancave/wifes arts and crafts room.

If I'm doing primarily military models is this a decent paint set?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Vallejo-Military-Colours-Brushes-Miniatures/dp/B001JJRDOW/ref=sr_1_46?keywords=Vallejo&qid=1688082519&sr=8-46

Be nice to get all the paints I need in one batch.

Griffball fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 30, 2023

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
A big part of the hobby is definitely tools. Figuring out what you need and also why you need it.

I purchased a pin vise and an index of tiny bits but I find I barely ever use it in favor of a sharp xacto blade with a fresh tip.

Vallejo makes great acrylic paints. They are generally water based and I have read they can get goopy when mixed with alcohol.

Griffball posted:

I have some bad news...

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

Griffball posted:

Be nice to get all most some of the paints I need in one batch.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

therunningman posted:

A big part of the hobby is definitely tools. Figuring out what you need and also why you need it.

I purchased a pin vise and an index of tiny bits but I find I barely ever use it in favor of a sharp xacto blade with a fresh tip.

Interesting. For me, my pin vise is one of my most frequently used tools.

therunningman posted:

I have some bad news...

Heh, yeah. Paints are a funny thing. Buy in bulk and you'll never use them all. Buy selectively and you'll never have the one you need.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
There’s also some apps for matching paints, and creating a library of your paints. Helps me in store so I don’t impulse buy duplicate paints (sometimes).

Stuff like Tamiya acrylic flat blue = Vallejo model air french blue

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Chuck_D posted:

Heh, yeah. Paints are a funny thing. Buy in bulk and you'll never use them all. Buy selectively and you'll never have the one you need.

This almost never happens to me because I keep track of my paints and check instructions beforehand for what I need. I've been in transition from (Revell) enamels to (Revell) acrylics for the past two years though but that's mainly because I barely ever need some colors (Have a few nearly-full tins I needed just for some specific detailing, such as transparent blue and transparent green) and because of the way the one chain that has them over here stocks them they're hell to find. Imagine a pile of tiny paint containers that's completely unsorted with only half of the colors available hidden away on a dark shelf near the floor, and which paints they have varies by location. Unfortunately shipping costs mean it's easier to search for a bit when I'm near one of their stores.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chuck_D posted:

Interesting. For me, my pin vise is one of my most frequently used tools.

I found that when I built car models I used my pin vise all the time. But now that I do mainly tanks, I hardly ever use it. I feel like cars have a lot more "put peg A into hole B" type parts and "hole B" often needs to be opened up a bit to get a good fit. Paint and glue etc can plug it up just enough to make it difficult to get the peg to go in.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

DRINK ME posted:

There’s also some apps for matching paints, and creating a library of your paints. Helps me in store so I don’t impulse buy duplicate paints (sometimes).

Stuff like Tamiya acrylic flat blue = Vallejo model air french blue

Link plz? :)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Chuck_D posted:

Link plz? :)
I use this one. It's perfectly serviceable if not exactly elegant.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pulgadas.hobbycolorconverter&hl=en_US&gl=US

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Griffball posted:

Ended up picking up this kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-60788-f-16cj-block-50-fighting-falcon--644291

After a couple of hours of fiddling I had to stop myself as it was obvious I was missing things that would make my life easier, a little pin drill for the holes, couldn't do them cleanly with a model knife, tweezers, no way I can do the decals without tweezers.

Also got a few paints but missed a few, but I had none of the other supplies i need to painting acrylic, alcohol and mixing dishes. Realised I didn't want to get much further without getting things like the cockpit painted. Good learning experience so far, as I really thought I would just put the whole thing together and paint. Definitely ate a couple hours of my life just getting to grips with the two or three steps I've done so far.

This could get dangerous for my wallet. Already thinking about an airbrush booth in my new mancave/wifes arts and crafts room.

If I'm doing primarily military models is this a decent paint set?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Vallejo-Military-Colours-Brushes-Miniatures/dp/B001JJRDOW/ref=sr_1_46?keywords=Vallejo&qid=1688082519&sr=8-46

If you are doing primarily military models then an airbrush will be a really good investment. Especially for aircraft. It is also way easier for big models too. So definitely consider an airbrush.

As for paint colors and sets I would skip the big military set and figure out what era/models you like to paint and get the appropriate Vallejo or AK/MIG set for that. If you get really into military modeling you will realize that there are numerous close but not the same greens used by different forces and you may want the exact right one. Although if you want to paint US stuff from WWII you basically only need Olive Drab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Hobby Color Converter (Android) is what I use, mainly just to keep track of my paint stash/paint wishlist so when I find myself in a hobby shop stood in front of the rack of paints I can quickly check to see what I've been running low on etc.

It does equivalences mainly based on what kit manufacturers have suggested as alternatives so quality of recommendations can vary, as well as closest approximations based on the RGB value of the samples in the app. It's not full proof for all sorts of technical reasons but in some cases close enough.

e;fb