Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe, if we're really lucky and have been good little boys and girls, we'll be gifted with a photo of the deep sea version of the Hiroshima Lover's Embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

facialimpediment posted:

so basically we all thought they would be pulverized into a soup-like homogenate, but the hull was mostly intact, so they probably just got toothpasted

those bits are not the hull. they are the exterior bits. the "hull" was the carbon fiber.

unless there are pics of solid black stuff that i havent seen

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pressure at those levels does really weird things anyway, bodysmears might appear in places you wouldn't think possible

"How to get out those stubborn stains!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ded posted:

those bits are not the hull. they are the exterior bits. the "hull" was the carbon fiber.

unless there are pics of solid black stuff that i havent seen

They recovered part of the hull, the fore titanium hemisphere. Maybe also the aft one.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 29, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Crab Dad posted:

I would guess bones? I’m really disappointed in the sea life for not doing a better job.

Things happen slow down that far down. When Alvin sank in the 60s the crew had seconds to GTFO. It was recovered a year later and the lunches that got left on board were still edible (someone apparently tried a bite and said it was fine except for being soaked in saltwater). And that was less than half as deep.

I can imagine there being some large enough bits of soft tissue to say "hey is that a bit of person" and they've basically spent a week in cold storage.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Things happen slow down that far down. When Alvin sank in the 60s the crew had seconds to GTFO. It was recovered a year later and the lunches that got left on board were still edible (someone apparently tried a bite and said it was fine except for being soaked in saltwater). And that was less than half as deep..

Wikipedia posted:

On July 6, 1967, the Alvin was attacked by a swordfish during dive 202. The swordfish became trapped in the Alvin's skin, and the Alvin was forced to make an emergency surface. The attack took place at 2,000 feet (610 m) below the surface. The fish was recovered at the surface and cooked for dinner.[1]
I guess the people in charge of that submersible were really hungry.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Swordfish is delicious, I would have done the same

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Seriously. Favorite fish. Salmon and tuna and grouper can take a hike

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spoggerific posted:

I guess the people in charge of that submersible were really hungry.

Waste not, want not.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Whatever they scrape off the inner hull of that thing is gonna be the consistency of creamy jif

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Things happen slow down that far down. When Alvin sank in the 60s the crew had seconds to GTFO. It was recovered a year later and the lunches that got left on board were still edible (someone apparently tried a bite and said it was fine except for being soaked in saltwater). And that was less than half as deep.

I can imagine there being some large enough bits of soft tissue to say "hey is that a bit of person" and they've basically spent a week in cold storage.

On a side note, here is a video talking about what happens when a whale carcass hits the sea floor and decomposes. They basically create an entire ecosystem in a nutrient-defiant area like the deep sea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxSUsn8H2zs

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Stravag posted:

Disgusting pervert behavior propagated by the Hookworm Consortium

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t care if you are a vegetarian: if an animal tries to kill you, you kill it first, and if it’s an edible animal you cook it an eat it to absorb its energy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Stravag posted:

Wahoo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geez i didn't realize the Alvin is 60 next year. :corsair:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
A lot of photos of the Titan's interior show a GoPro mount at the one viewport. I doubt a GoPro would survive at those depths but imagine if they recovered footage of the implosion...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

A lot of photos of the Titan's interior show a GoPro mount at the one viewport. I doubt a GoPro would survive at those depths but imagine if they recovered footage of the implosion...

...it'd be about one frame long?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Suicide Watch posted:

Hey I got this VESA mount, and I'm putting it in my carbon fiber submarine; can I just mount it directly to the hull?

tia

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Titan was really loving poorly built, but I’m pretty sure that there’s a nonstructural inner lining to the tube than the monitor is mounted on.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think that whole thing was built on pretty sure.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The timescale you're talking for implosion at that are definitely in the sub-frame range, so you would either get one frame where everything is normal and then one frame where it isn't, or at best one frame where there's a split across it where the top portion is pre-crush and the bottom portion is post-crush

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

not caring here posted:

I think that whole thing was built on pretty sure.

Excellent summation

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey I got this VESA mount, and I'm putting it in my carbon fiber submarine; can I just mount it directly to the hull?

tia

dont know why this keeps coming up. there was a fake wall inside the carbon fiber pressure hull. its clearly visible on many videos and pictures

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ded posted:

dont know why this keeps coming up. there was a fake wall inside the carbon fiber pressure hull. its clearly visible on many videos and pictures

yeah, but the memes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think I could build a worse sub and me trying

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Duzzy Funlop posted:

yeah, but the memes

ya. i know. the "sub" was a giant pile of poo poo but they did at least do that almost correctly. almost being that nothing was fire certified.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ded posted:

almost being that nothing was fire certified.

:stonklol:

It just never stops

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
That Danish guy's homemade murder sub was probably more well-built than this thing..

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wormy as gently caress. Eat fish lower on the predator pyramid.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

McNally posted:

In addition to the mentioned pressure differential, I feel like there might be a large difference between explosive decompression and catastrophic implosion.

Such as the direction body parts are going (out vs in)

Oh sure, they're not direct analogs. There is some similarity in that the gap those body parts had to fit through on the Dolphin was quite narrow. But primarily I used the Byford Dolphin as a touch point for the idea that even under extreme circumstances, parts of the human body are incredibly resilient and the idea that there could be recoverable human remains from the Titan isn't completely nonsensical.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

ded posted:

392.55 atm @ 13,000 feet

its quite a bit more

https://bluerobotics.com/learn/pressure-depth-calculator/

At that pressure, the air they had inside the sub would explode from sheer compression. Not only were they turned into molecules, those molecules were set on fire for a brief instant.

I'm really curious as to what they think they found

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

armpit_enjoyer posted:

At that pressure, the air they had inside the sub would explode from sheer compression. Not only were they turned into molecules, those molecules were set on fire for a brief instant.

I'm really curious as to what they think they found

A controller

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ded posted:

ya. i know. the "sub" was a giant pile of poo poo but they did at least do that almost correctly. almost being that nothing was fire certified.

Fyre certified.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fantastic submarine, much better built than the Titan, shame its torpedoes weren't.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arcella posted:

That Danish guy's homemade murder sub was probably more well-built than this thing..

certainly killed fewer people

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

certainly killed fewer people

that still was a crazy story tho. what was it, someone was interviewing him and he got tight about it so decided to just merc this lady? loving wild

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah most deep sea vessels are titanium or marging steel spheres/cylinders.

The only advantage of COPVs, AFAIK, is that they are very lightweight, that is literally a bad thing in any submersible design, since it's quite difficult to make a big air bubble sink, and why they're typically only used in things like rocketry, or for SCBAs.

Just the most incredible decisions with that boat. Also, who loving gives a poo poo about DNA identification, who cares if the patch of red goo is one of the passengers or another, what're you going to do, have an open casket funeral for them? Society's so loving weird about death.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat posted:

The only advantage of COPVs, AFAIK, is that they are very lightweight, that is literally a bad thing in any submersible design, since it's quite difficult to make a big air bubble sink, and why they're typically only used in things like rocketry, or for SCBAs.

Just the most incredible decisions with that boat. Also, who loving gives a poo poo about DNA identification, who cares if the patch of red goo is one of the passengers or another, what're you going to do, have an open casket funeral for them? Society's so loving weird about death.

roll me into a blunt and smoke me bro so i can come back like the dude in how high

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheWeedNumber posted:

that still was a crazy story tho. what was it, someone was interviewing him and he got tight about it so decided to just merc this lady? loving wild

E:^^ gently caress yeah, adding that to my will.

Apparently someone on the forums posted about his boat. The thread was overwhelmingly excited about how cool the sub was.

Sounds like killing a lady was what got his jollies off, sickest possible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TheWeedNumber posted:

It was that she was writing an article on him and he got horny for her and he had a vore* fetish

*Actually that 'cut beutiful women to pieces' fetish. They found tons of strange japanese anime about it in his computers