Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Which is silly in and of itself, because lol do you suppose the guys with the massive scar on their face in the exact same spot as the brand would be might be fugitive brandeds? Nah hasn't ever come up.

the scars aren't remotely as visible as the brands and sellswords tend not to be the most handsome bunch anyway, clive aside. it's not that hard to swallow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Look there's been an epidemic of people accidentally spilling boiling water over their faces while making tea, Clive's just a real clumsy guy, ok?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Jill, Torgal is a very good dog. Don’t be like that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Which is silly in and of itself, because lol do you suppose the guys with the massive scar on their face in the exact same spot as the brand would be might be fugitive brandeds? Nah hasn't ever come up.

Most people are really really really REALLY discriminatory against bearers. Like to the extent that if you told them that someone was removing brands somehow they wouldn't assume other bearers are the ones doing it, or that Bearers are going around hiding their status because that is a level of autonomy and wit they refuse to attribute to them. Bearers are not PEOPLE and are not capable of acting like people, that's why you can treat them like pets and objects and have them fill drinking glasses until they turn into a pillar of salt, that you then have other bearers sweep up. If you could just take the tattoo off and then they're just like you, what would that make you?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like what is so baffling to people about "People don't expect this thing that is considered literally impossible to actually happen"?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Uncle Torgal

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have a difficult time believing anyone would have that degree of faith in a tattoo, even a particularly clever one.

The scars conspicuously outlining the shape of a Brand dead on is very silly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Oblivious posted:

I have a difficult time believing anyone would have that degree of faith in a tattoo, even a particularly clever one.

The scars conspicuously outlining the shape of a Brand dead on is very silly

I don't think removing the brand is meant to be a purely stealth mode thing, it's also a gently caress you.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The latest Jimquisition is about FFXVI and while I seriously disagree with her (negative) take on it, I can see where being visibly non-cis could make a lot of the bigotry Clive experiences hit way differently.

I have a lot of respect for JSS in general, I'm kind of sad that she didn't like the game as much as I do. I do find it odd that the Witcher 3 gets a pass from her, but whatever.

Mulva posted:

Like what is so baffling to people about "People don't expect this thing that is considered literally impossible to actually happen"?

It's why nobody expects it when you make a good post. :smuggo:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mulva posted:

I mean given how fanatically huge amounts of people in the setting persecute branded, I think loads of insane bigots would look at the scar where a brand would be and think it's makeup slathered over the brand or something like that. If that happened like even once I would probably be satisfied.

Without that it feels way too much like a contrivance just so that they didn't have to write the entire post timeskip with everyone treating clive like garbage like they did the pre

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Agents are GO! posted:

The latest Jimquisition is about FFXVI and while I seriously disagree with her (negative) take on it, I can see where being visibly non-cis could make a lot of the bigotry Clive experiences hit way differently.

Felt like another commentary from someone who played up to halfway through Sanbreque and either turned off the game or their brain.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

(On the way to Twinside) Early on I thought there were some hints that this was the same world as XIV. You know, the crystals and the way aether works and whatnot, it would be cute to leave some little breadcrumbs to fit it into the timeline. But that died out pretty quickly, this was clearly a very different world.

Imagine my shock when the Emperor Emeritus offhandedly mentioned The Rowena Syndicate! :stare:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

They are referring to unmarked spoilers itt.

Nah, I just hate when half the page is a conversation between two people consisting of just spoiler tags. I don't want to travel all the way back to the start to see if it's something I've seen already and there's always a chance of accidentally tapping on the text and getting spoiled

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well because the spoiler thread is where untagged discussion happens, this thread is the only place on the forums to discuss the story without having actually finished the game so just scroll past the black bars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait to finish all these sidequests and head to the good thread

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

JBP posted:

Can't wait to finish all these sidequests and head to the good thread

There are no good threads.:colbert:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean given how fanatically huge amounts of people in the setting persecute branded, I think loads of insane bigots would look at the scar where a brand would be and think it's makeup slathered over the brand or something like that. If that happened like even once I would probably be satisfied.

Without that it feels way too much like a contrivance just so that they didn't have to write the entire post timeskip with everyone treating clive like garbage like they did the pre

It's funny because there's an actual dude who sees Clive and explicitly says he looks like a Bearer he met five years ago but apparently doesn't notice or ignores the conspicuously tattoo shaped scar on his cheek, instead just assuming he has a faulty memory.

Even if it's impossible to remove the scar, someone could suspect some kind of makeup or prosthetic skin. One person with that scarring and you might write it off, but then you start seeing more and more people with it? And mostly in areas where Cursebreakers operate? Hmmm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just saw Dion wake up and immediately chuck a a spear at a small child. It was very entertaining.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Suspend your disbeliefs my friends. Citizens of Valisthea dig scars.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Argue posted:

It's funny because there's an actual dude who sees Clive and explicitly says he looks like a Bearer he met five years ago but apparently doesn't notice or ignores the conspicuously tattoo shaped scar on his cheek, instead just assuming he has a faulty memory.

Even if it's impossible to remove the scar, someone could suspect some kind of makeup or prosthetic skin. One person with that scarring and you might write it off, but then you start seeing more and more people with it? And mostly in areas where Cursebreakers operate? Hmmm.

To be fair, areas where cursebreakers operate are more likely to by sympathetic to bearers, like Martha's Rest or Rosalia in general.

Clive's scar didn't bother me too much because it's mostly covered by his hair. he really has a mane after the timeskip.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Nah, I just hate when half the page is a conversation between two people consisting of just spoiler tags. I don't want to travel all the way back to the start to see if it's something I've seen already and there's always a chance of accidentally tapping on the text and getting spoiled

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Just saw Dion wake up and immediately chuck a a spear at a small child. It was very entertaining.

I liked the part where he yelled “Drakengard!” as he did it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Non-specific general rambling on the scar topic I think I get a little hung up on the scar issue because it just doesn't really seem to improve anything about the story IMO. It makes it so clive can be treated like a generic sword guy by randos, but why is that desirable? The story would probably be better if they committed to clive being branded and that being irreversible. He would need his friends to continue to intercede for him with normal people, giving them some chances to actually interact with the side content, etc. etc.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m leaving for a month long trip in one week and the ps5 says I’m 58% of the way through the main quest just fought titan. I think there’s no way I can finish the game before I leave and it sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

The Cursebreakers aren't like a widely known public organization. They are known to people allied with Cid and that's about it. That's kind of the point. They also aren't coming out in force. Most people aren't seeing many of them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The game is pretty breezy I blitzed through it because I’m going on a two week trip in five days and it took fifty hours in total according to the clock and that’s with every side quest and the hunting board done. I think you can do it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're doing the side content, in a real pinch I think you could just bail on it and just do the main story and that probably cuts the length of the game in half or so. You'd miss a bit of good stuff but not really all that much honestly

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Not sure how much time I’ll have to play in the next week, but I might just start bailing on side quests and praying.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yo Eikon 5s kit slaps that is all.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yo Eikon 5s kit slaps that is all.

It really does, it's unironically fun sitting there spamming taunt and waiting for the next stupid bastard to attack you and let you get a free level on the charge.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cid's Spanish voice is rather good

https://twitter.com/vitaminohm/status/1674306740332949505

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's a pretty sexy Cid voice. I wonder how Italian Cid will hold up.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Jesus christ y'all weren't kidding. Pretty sure I am right before the last dungeon and like 12 sidequests opened up.

Edit: Including 2 sidequests where the outcome was spoiled by the lore entry before I could even pick up the quests :rolleyes:

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 29, 2023

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

still really enjoying the game and looking forward to playing it when i'm not

i have minor nit picks about stuff but my two primary critiques are

1. why the gently caress can't I turn sprinting on/off with L3 or something. this is so annoying.
2. similarly, the chocobo mechanics are kind of rear end. clunky to summon, clunky to mount/dismount, sprint isn't all that much faster than being on foot, etc. they coulda made this great. just copy how the mount worked in ghost of tsushima it was perfect.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Failboattootoot posted:

Jesus christ y'all weren't kidding. Pretty sure I am right before the last dungeon and like 12 sidequests opened up.

Edit: Including 2 sidequests where the outcome was spoiled by the lore entry before I could even pick up the quests :rolleyes:

And there are even more quests that will open up as you complete other quests. I think 3 or 4 more.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Anyone have a bug that prevents them from changing settings and how can you fix it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How does this game handle the final main quest? Can you still do side quests afterwards or do you get booted to NG+ immediately?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Solid game. Peaked like 70% of the way through and then started stumbling badly after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

How does this game handle the final main quest? Can you still do side quests afterwards or do you get booted to NG+ immediately?

The end is the end. You'll know when the point of no return is - it doesn't explicitly say but it's pretty obvious.