Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

jesus loving christ that's a lot of money

Same budget as movies, but takes like twice as long to produce and has probably 3 or 5 times the staff, who are non-union and get paid correspondingly 1/3 or 1/5 what union Hollywood people do

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Jun 29, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

putt putt saves the zoo has a deeper more meaningful story than every western AAA game in the past 5 years put together.

I played all of those kids lucasarts games as a kid, going back as an adult I have to say they are tonally/aesthetically the most terrifying, unsettling poo poo I have ever seen. Absolute nightmare fuel

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

lol I’m glad I didn’t pay $90 for the garbage but every other goon did

check my post history re d4, it's not my fault i got this failure rear end game

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I love that all the diablo posts in the thread are like "this thing is dogshit. It sucks and I have to grind for 100 hours and it will bug out and make me lose all progress. I will keep playing this its soooo fun"

lmfao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Just induce error 8007000E and Windows will never update again until you reinstall it.

i kept getting this bullshit and it was driving me insane. it kept trying to install a big update while i was playing games causing all sorts of lags, then erroring out

reinstalled and it worked fine, then started getting the same error less than a year later every time until reinstalled again. i finally just stopped bothering and nuked windows altogether 2 years ago lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

of course. Shivers is the best game of all time

Sierra Entertainment ftw

reused assest from The 7th guest?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Same budget as movies, but takes like twice as long to produce and has probably 3 or 5 times the staff, who are non-union and get paid correspondingly 1/3 or 1/5 what union Hollywood people do

they spend too much money on making movies too

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

win11 has the ability to reboot pc whenever it wants no asking and can even wake a hibernated laptop to update it without asking.

Microsoft ftw

I like when SQL server management studio crashes itself to install an update

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Skyrim's Stormcloak faction is the Elder Scrolls equivalent of the IRA

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think i want to play skyrim again, but i'm not sure if i just want to install a bunch of mods and think about playing or actually play

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i loving HATE Rusty Bucket Bay, if I ever meet the dev responsible for the engine room...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

i think i want to play skyrim again, but i'm not sure if i just want to install a bunch of mods and think about playing or actually play

just boot it up. it's fine

part of the reason why I get so much more gaming done on consoles nowadays is that there's less things to gently caress around with, whether it's alt-tabbing to post, or tinkering with mods

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i loving HATE Rusty Bucket Bay, if I ever meet the dev responsible for the engine room...

That single room is easily the worst segment in the whole game, and there's an extra life right in there so it's not like nobody realised. It's less of a setback in the remake

The toxic water isn't great either but at least it barely matters

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

That single room is easily the worst segment in the whole game, and there's an extra life right in there so it's not like nobody realised. It's less of a setback in the remake

The toxic water isn't great either but at least it barely matters

You could fix the whole room by making it a non-instant death that just warps you back to the entrance with one less health, it's just such a pain in the rear end when you're going for all 100 notes in the OG version

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Banjo-Kazooie also features a strict timer that keeps counting down right through an unskippable cutscene. That's also pretty low stakes, though

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao that did piss me off just on principle. also the timer in the pyramid maze restarting when you go back in from the end of the maze. I already beat it, just let me look around!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My hot take is that I support Microsoft's forced updates because if you don't do poo poo like that people just won't update ever and then I'm stuck working on a website that has to still support IE8 in like 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lmao that did piss me off just on principle. also the timer in the pyramid maze restarting when you go back in from the end of the maze. I already beat it, just let me look around!!

There's a trick to the maze: there's only a single valuable thing to find in there (one of those slammable switches) and even that is optional because of an easy glitch

The puzzle where you have to match tiles is also very easy because the pattern isn't random enough

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just watched a current Banjo Kazooie speedrun and apparently you can literally just jump on top of the maze wall and skip the whole thing

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Xaris posted:

putt putt saves the zoo has a deeper more meaningful story than every western AAA game in the past 5 years put together.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I see people are still mad about the video games.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

its only natural for the most oppressed minority (gamers) to be angry at times

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lostconfused posted:

I prefer to think of it as "passionate"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1674407662250004480

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

smarxist posted:

just install an alternate start mod and you're good to go imo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been thinking about how there has been a resurgence of interest in Starship Troopers games, relatively, with the big mod for Squad, the new RTS getting pretty favorable reviews, and I’m pretty sure there’s a multiplayer PVE fps that just came out too, but they’re all predicated on the movie - which is fine because the movie owns and is better than the book in every important way. that being said though the tactics and armaments described in the book are so fundamentally different from anything depicted in any of the subsequent media I feel like an RTS-FPS adapting the original material could be really fun, playing as a guy in a command suit directing a couple squads of cap troopers in the crazy power armor Heinlein describes, leaping around and firing mininukes, rockets, lasers, etc. I imagine a mixture of tribes and Natural Selection 2, wish someone would do such a thing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

nobody is madder at video games than these guys

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

nobody is madder at video games than these guys

what about all the perverts and nazis mad about CENSORSHIP in decade old fighting game Skullgirls

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

my memories of reading Starship Troopers is the dude low grav jumping in a power suit over a desolate landscape for half the book

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
theyre all bunny hopping and rocket jumping its a slam dunk boomer shooter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Orb Crabmelt posted:

what about all the perverts and nazis mad about CENSORSHIP in decade old fighting game Skullgirls

at least they play video games. video game finance guys are always screaming that theyre losing money because the games are bad

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
al caping for nazi perverts again smdh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Pretty sure there was none of that. Maybe Alastair Reynolds? Though can't really think of a specific book where the relativistic scale is a main focus. There's Freeze Frame Revolution by Watts, but they never get off the ship.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ill beat any nazi i find to death, in skullgirls

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

imo removing the nazi stuff was a good call but they were metal slug nazis

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Modding Metal Slug to replace General Morden's flag with the American flag, for accuracy

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

ill beat any nazi i find to death, in skullgirls

fighting fire with fire, I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there are also like 6 other characters in skullgirls that are panty characters, including the one with nazi imagry