Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd be too worried about the unknowns of flying, even if the car ride is longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd be too worried about the unknowns of flying, even if the car ride is longer.

Yeah that's the part that would get me

Like I'd be so worried about the cats during the flight, not to mention you don't know how the person that's handling the luggage is gonna treat them. You hope well but..

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cats can fly in the cabin in North America, and are mostly going to be fine with it if they don't have any heart issues (check with your vet first). They also need to go through security, so it helps if you can hold your cat for ~30 seconds without them freaking out while the carrier goes through the scanner. I don't know if airlines will let you take two on one ticket since they have to go under the seat in front of you.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Definitely fly them in the cabin if you go that route, and also talk to your vet. They might be willing to prescribe a dose of gabapentin or something similar to mellow them out through the flight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't fly your pets, it's horrible for everyone. You have absolutely no way to do anything if they are lost or injured.

What we did on a recent cross country move is pick pet friendly Airbnb's on out route so we could let them out of their kennel to do cat stuff. The new spaces definitely threw them off their game but they got through and were even eating well.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

eXXon posted:

I definitely want to brush away the crud from his eye.

:shrug: me too, but he doesn't really like me to so I usually don't. It's also stuck on surprisingly well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The flight option has them in the cabin, at least, so they would be able to be with us during that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Get your cat checked at the vet to make sure they're medically cleared to fly too. While you're there, ask for some calming meds (100mg of gabapentin the night before and shortly before you leave for the airport will do wonders for you and the cat).

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Adding another pleading voice to say if you fly with your pets, please keep them with you instead of checking them with luggage. I've heard too many horror stories of animals being lost or killed, and even if they aren't seriously harmed, the baggage areas are usually extremely cold and overall a terrifying and stressful environment for a pet.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh that's really good to know. I'd be terrified of my guys being alone and scared without me there to at least check on them. Luckily we haven't had to move them very far but at least that's an option now

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Hello cat thread. I am dealing with an injured cat for the first time and have some questions.

Meet Stewie. This little 15/yo dork managed to injure herself during her post-using-the-litterbox zoomies a couple days ago. She was basically not using her back left leg at all. Took her to urgent care, they believe it is soft tissue damage and we agreed on a course of topical buprenorphine with a possible recheck and xrays in a few days if there no improvement. They were closing when I was there and getting an x-ray would have involved getting her back in her carrier the next day, which was an event even with her being unable to run from me and I didn't want to put her through that trauma again so soon.

As soon as we got her home she found her comfort spot, which was unsurprisingly right next to her food bowl, and basically hasn't moved for 36 hours. She has used her litter box in the middle of the night but during the day she mostly stays put. She is pretty zonked on the meds and unsteady so I believe this is part of it.

She was avoiding food most of yesterday but did eat last night, thankfully. She also loving loves those squeeze tube treats and was headbutting me while trying to give her some before bed last night.

When she does move she is limping, but she is putting more weight on the leg than she was. She has also gone from exclusively laying on her side to mostly loafing and sometimes sitting up. I know that her not moving a whole lot is likely a good thing as she is giving her leg time to heal but seeing a mostly active cat just laying next to her food all day is kind of depressing.

Just seeing if most of this seems normal and if there is anything else I should be looking for in the next few days.

Edit: gently caress I just realized there is a vet thread I can move this there if needed. I just woke up after not sleeping for a while.

Critical fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 24, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Critical posted:

Hello cat thread. I am dealing with an injured cat for the first time and have some questions.

Meet Stewie. This little 15/yo dork managed to injure herself during her post-using-the-litterbox zoomies a couple days ago. She was basically not using her back left leg at all. Took her to urgent care, they believe it is soft tissue damage and we agreed on a course of topical buprenorphine with a possible recheck and xrays in a few days if there no improvement. They were closing when I was there and getting an x-ray would have involved getting her back in her carrier the next day, which was an event even with her being unable to run from me and I didn't want to put her through that trauma again so soon.

As soon as we got her home she found her comfort spot, which was unsurprisingly right next to her food bowl, and basically hasn't moved for 36 hours. She has used her litter box in the middle of the night but during the day she mostly stays put. She is pretty zonked on the meds and unsteady so I believe this is part of it.

She was avoiding food most of yesterday but did eat last night, thankfully. She also loving loves those squeeze tube treats and was headbutting me while trying to give her some before bed last night.

When she does move she is limping, but she is putting more weight on the leg than she was. She has also gone from exclusively laying on her side to mostly loafing and sometimes sitting up. I know that her not moving a whole lot is likely a good thing as she is giving her leg time to heal but seeing a mostly active cat just laying next to her food all day is kind of depressing.

Just seeing if most of this seems normal and if there is anything else I should be looking for in the next few days.

Edit: gently caress I just realized there is a vet thread I can move this there if needed. I just woke up after not sleeping for a while.

Her putting weight on the leg is a decent sign, if she is increasing in activity levels its a good thing, if she continues to show improvement and more normal behaviours than thats good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone had a cat with IBD? Since January my cat has had soft stools. He's also on urinary s/o food. Vet had me switch to hydrogenized protein + urinary since it was limited diet. Didn't really help. It culminated with my cat needing to get his stomach pumped 2 weeks ago when he couldn't absorb his food. Biopsy was inconclusive. But while he was recovering he was on sensitive stomach food short term and he started having normal stools again. It was short term, however. I slowly got him back to his normal food, and when that happened he started getting soft stools again.

I'm calling my vet and asking for suggestions but I'd love to have him on sensitive stomach food but worried about urine crystals, and I can't seem to find a good food between royal canin and science diet that would achieve both things.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Kramdar posted:

Taima, the cone alone will be enough to make the sister cat hiss. Just give it time. Once all the hardware comes off, the universe will realign for those two.

<3 thank you for the encouragement. Miles' cone comes off tomorrow morning so wish us luck...

Two long weeks in the saddle and nearly 10 grand later.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

seiferguy posted:

Has anyone had a cat with IBD? Since January my cat has had soft stools. He's also on urinary s/o food. Vet had me switch to hydrogenized protein + urinary since it was limited diet. Didn't really help. It culminated with my cat needing to get his stomach pumped 2 weeks ago when he couldn't absorb his food. Biopsy was inconclusive. But while he was recovering he was on sensitive stomach food short term and he started having normal stools again. It was short term, however. I slowly got him back to his normal food, and when that happened he started getting soft stools again.

I'm calling my vet and asking for suggestions but I'd love to have him on sensitive stomach food but worried about urine crystals, and I can't seem to find a good food between royal canin and science diet that would achieve both things.

Rexie has bowel sensitivity issues. We do fountains + hydrolyzed protein dry AND wet food + presnisolone. She also gets pro and prebiotics, which seem to help stool consistency.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Critical posted:

Hope your cat's walking stick gets better, and hell yeah pissy old tortoise shell buddy :hfive:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dienes posted:

Rexie has bowel sensitivity issues. We do fountains + hydrolyzed protein dry AND wet food + presnisolone. She also gets pro and prebiotics, which seem to help stool consistency.

Yeah, Raiden has a couple water bowls, a fountain, and prior to his stomach pump I was giving him fortiflora probiotic once a day. It wasn't helping with stools very much. I'll probably have to add some sort of wet food in there since the sensitive stomach worked well. If he didn't have the urinary issues this would be so much easier.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I bought a ceiling high cat tree for my 2 cats about 6 weeks ago and they have pretty much ignored it until today when my little guy is all over it for some reason and it's making my day lol

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Can anybody recommend a toy that has the same appeal of those plastic cat springs? The derpier of my two derps is completely fascinated by them, and I haven't found anything at all that scratches that itch-- something about the unpredictable way they skitter around the floor.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Idk what exact brand we have but our cats go similarly crazy for these “flicks” things https://boinks.com/product-category/cat-toys/

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
is there a thread favorite tutorial for making your own cat tree? or a list of considerations/suggestions?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Can anybody recommend a toy that has the same appeal of those plastic cat springs? The derpier of my two derps is completely fascinated by them, and I haven't found anything at all that scratches that itch-- something about the unpredictable way they skitter around the floor.
Our cats went through a period of about two weeks where they were obsessed with those springs. In general they love throw-type toys that they can bat around, and they are indifferent to teasers or wands. A little ball of aluminum foil fascinated them for a long time, it’s light and irregular so when they smack it the motion is unpredictable. A ping pong ball also worked well. Plush balls that are small and light enough to roll around when hit. To mix it up you can lay down some crinkly paper and roll the toy onto or under that. It makes our cats crazy.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

is there a thread favorite tutorial for making your own cat tree? or a list of considerations/suggestions?

The best thing I can recommend is to have at least one leg covered with inside out carpet. You can usually buy remnants at a flooring or big box store for cheap and it’s easy to replace when they tear it up. They really love scratching the back of the carpet way more than the fluffy side and it helps to not reinforce scratching the carpet.

Last time I made one I did a simple A frame with wide planks so it was more of a scratcher than a tree. I put some bricks on the bottom so they couldn’t tip it over since my cats were young and wild at the time. The nice thing about building your own is you can customize it to what your cats prefer.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Ours liked empty plastic Easter eggs when she was younger.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Have you considered…more springs :hmmyes:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't use carpet with the loops out. You do not want to train your cat that clawing carpet is cool.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is my first year having a cat on my own, do i need to worry about all the firework stuff (ie not let her out even this close to the 4th, because people are already setting off fireworks)? Absolutely no plan to have her out on the actual day of course but what about around this time where people are setting off stuff randomly?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pets and fireworks don't get along at all, dogs tend to howl and cats get stressed and hide.

So yeah give kitty as quiet a retreat as possible.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't use carpet with the loops out. You do not want to train your cat that clawing carpet is cool.

Sisal rope is really really cheap. Much better alternative to carpet.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Al! posted:

this is my first year having a cat on my own, do i need to worry about all the firework stuff (ie not let her out even this close to the 4th, because people are already setting off fireworks)? Absolutely no plan to have her out on the actual day of course but what about around this time where people are setting off stuff randomly?

My cat loved fireworks and had a blast watching them all from my condo windows. I've never seen her scared from any sound so results may vary I guess.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xzzy posted:

Pets and fireworks don't get along at all, dogs tend to howl and cats get stressed and hide.

So yeah give kitty as quiet a retreat as possible.

So, maybe a dumb question, but would a good white noise generator be helpful for cats when fireworks or thunderstorms are happening? Or is their hearing sufficiently different from humans' that it wouldn't be useful?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I doubt adding more noise will help, in all likelihood they won't even notice it if they're busy being scared of the fireworks.

Imo just let them see that you're not scared of the fireworks, let them hide if they need to, and just generally be ready to be nice and cuddly (I mean, let them come to you though) and offer treats and stuff when the noise dies down if they had a bad time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Sisal rope is really really cheap. Much better alternative to carpet.

Agree. Sisal good.

I’ve been considering a sisal rug for the dining and/or living room, though my main concern is keeping it clean and wiping up barf.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like how loose the skin on a cat is you can just grab a handful almost anywhere.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
One of my cats doesn't respond positively to physical toys, while the other ones loses her poo poo when I use a little feather thing on a fishing pole to run her around.

This has lead to a weird situation where it's just hard to get him to play using traditional means, and he's more anxious in general too, so he needs the play the most for sure.

The one thing this cat loving loves is the laser pointer but is that ok? He never catches the laser. He will chase it everywhere though. I read online to end the play by putting the laser on a toy, so he can "catch" the toy, but my cat is way too smart and doesn't associate the laser with the toy whatsoever.

Idk. Any tips here, or anything that worked for yall regarding a cat who needs physical activity but won't respond to "things on a fishing pole" kind of prey instinct stimulation?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just do whatever they like doing. I think people make too big of a deal about the fact cats can't catch the laser pointer. They're chasing a thing and having fun, don't overthink it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ugh Ferdie's favourite food has changed recipe and he just has zero interest any more. This was the food he used to run ahead of me when I showed him the bowl. We have other food he will eat but not so enthusiastically.

There's nothing similar on the market that's complete. Gonna try mixing what little we have of the old recipe into the new and see how he goes. Poor boy loved his mackerel (30%) with tuna. Now it's tuna with mackerel (8%) he could not care less :(

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/665352494381268992/1124818137586618368/20230701_174507.mp4

I knew she would strike the moment Koto locked eyes with Dusty.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cat staredowns remind me of the standoffs in kung fu movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just do whatever they like doing. I think people make too big of a deal about the fact cats can't catch the laser pointer. They're chasing a thing and having fun, don't overthink it.

Yeah, some cats get overhyped by it and freaked out about not being able to catch the dot so it's good to be aware that that's a possibility, but plenty are absolutely fine with it!