Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

moths posted:

Digital release, brag about how there are no typos.

Then lurk reddit and let the contrarian savants do all your work for you.

The big brain move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The fastest way to get correct information on a subject online is to say something wrong and wait for people to correct you. Psychologists call it the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lamuella posted:

The fastest way to get correct information on a subject online is to say something wrong and wait for people to correct you. Psychologists call it the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Close, Dunning-Kruger is when prisoners start having sympathy for their captors. Applies here though!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Technically, it's only the Dunning-Krueger Effect if it's from the Dunkirk region of France. Otherwise it's just sparkling syndrome.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Loel posted:

Close, Dunning-Kruger is when prisoners start having sympathy for their captors. Applies here though!

No that's Stockholm Syndrome, Dunning-Kruger is when your work gets spread around because you tried to stop it.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I thought Dunning-Kreuger was the major battle between British and French Allies vs. Nazi Germany, presaged by Operation David

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That’s the battle of Baader-Meinhof actually.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magnetic North posted:

Technically, it's only the Dunning-Krueger Effect if it's from the Dunkirk region of France. Otherwise it's just sparkling syndrome.
I'm very upset and not fit the reasons you think.

Your should have said sparkling whine.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Splicer posted:

Your should have said sparkling whine.

FUUUUUCCCK I'm so angry now

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought that type of whining was the Statler-Waldorf Syndrome

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If anything it's Gell-Mann Amnesia

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I forget what Gell-Mann Amnesia is

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

admanb posted:

I forget what Gell-Mann Amnesia is

It's when you forget about the events of the movie Flubber. Extremely widespread problem.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Omnicrom posted:

It's when you forget about the events of the movie Flubber. Extremely widespread problem.

I can never forget the events of the movie Flubber, comma, a movie where a man makes sentient magic jello but the plot is actually about how his roomba wants to gently caress him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Humble have a Warhammer fiction collection, but this one includes the old but excellent Kim Newman Drachenfels novels. https://www.humblebundle.com/books/chronicles-world-warhammer-black-library-books

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I remember the Nagash trilogy not being too bad either.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mors Rattus posted:

I can never forget the events of the movie Flubber, comma, a movie where a man makes sentient magic jello but the plot is actually about how his roomba wants to gently caress him.
It's one of the classic story archetypes. Man vs nature, man vs society, man vs self, man vs a roomba that wants to gently caress him. Basic Literature 101 stuff

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lamuella posted:

This is how I passed organic chemistry. Oh and japanese. literally jusy say its a joke of a language and someone will literally poo poo themselves in anger and mark your work for you. 98% in the class

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 29, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mors Rattus posted:

Also that man is Robin Williams and he uses the sentient jello to make a flying car, and the flying roomba communicates partly in classic Disney cartoon clips just in case you forgot who's making this movie.

I watched that so many times as a kid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also that man is Robin Williams and he uses the sentient jello to make a flying car, and the flying roomba communicates partly in classic Disney cartoon clips just in case you forgot who's making this movie.

Due to it being presumably very cheap for my national broadcaster to acquire I watched the original many times as a kid.

I did not like the remake.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is also used to heroically cheat at college basketball, tho I don’t remember why.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To win the basketball game, I presume.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
*Squints at wiki article* because he missed his own wedding and their basketball team sucks and he thinks if he can make the basketball team win his fiancee will forgive him?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

*Squints at wiki article* because he missed his own wedding and their basketball team sucks and he thinks if he can make the basketball team win his fiancee will forgive him?

Perhaps there were no rules in the rulebook for such an event.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The short answer is "it was in the original".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The short answer is "it was in the original".
It also makes a lot more sense in the original. Quite a lot of motives and goals in the original aren't linked to people wanting/not wanting to bang the main character.

e: If anyone is bored and has 90 minutes it's all up on the internet archive https://archive.org/details/the-absent-minded-professor-1961

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 30, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

If I've learned anything from this exchange it's that many posters in this thread do not have Gell-Mann Amnesia. Whether this is a good thing is up for debate.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Mors Rattus posted:

It is also used to heroically cheat at college basketball, tho I don’t remember why.

All I'm saying is there ain't no time says a dog can't play no basketball, ain't that the truth.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Who would win at basketball, a good dog or jello Robin Williams?

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

I just vividly remembered that the robot who wants to gently caress full on dies and is replaced by a sleeker, sexier robot that is implied to be even hornier

edit: before anyone gets excited, the robot looked distinctly like an anti-gravity roomba in both iterations

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I took my own advice and rewatched the original. The ending drags on just as much as I remembered but it's still pretty good!

Unrelated public service announcement/industry news/rubbernecking link
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3108824/data-breach-us-os4-backers

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure the second robot was raised as the professor's daughter, with the blob of flubber as the annoying little brother?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/01/tech/twitter-rate-limit-exceeded/index.html

So twitter is currently suffering from some weird self-DDoS that's causing people to be told they're "rate limited" and it seems this is the result of a failed rollout of a deliberate change by Elon Musk to enforce limits on how many posts you can view a day to combat "data scraping." Without blue checkmark verification, you're limited to 600 read posts a day.

I've talked before about how as dumb and bad as twitter is, it's one of the most effective platforms for indie/smaller press RPG publishers and creators to advertise their work, upcoming kickstarters, share streams of games, etc. Twitter being made progressively worse and worse to use is going to have a pretty outsized effect on creators like that, I suspect, and much like how there hasn't been a crowdfunding alternative which has presented itself as The New Kickstarter, none of the other social media alternatives (Mastodon, Bluesky, Cohost, whatever) have effectively poised themselves as a Twitter replacement. It's tangential to the TG industry directly since it also stands to impact a lot of other things besides tabletop games, but I figured it's worth bringing up here given Twitter's de facto status as the promotional platform of choice for those within the industry.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I've talked before about how as dumb and bad as twitter is, it's one of the most effective platforms for indie/smaller press RPG publishers and creators to advertise their work, upcoming kickstarters, share streams of games, etc. Twitter being made progressively worse and worse to use is going to have a pretty outsized effect on creators like that, I suspect, and much like how there hasn't been a crowdfunding alternative which has presented itself as The New Kickstarter, none of the other social media alternatives (Mastodon, Bluesky, Cohost, whatever) have effectively poised themselves as a Twitter replacement.
I had a bit of a rant in the Crowdfunding thread the other day about Backerkit. I was really hopeful it would be a reasonable and excellent alternative to Kickstarter but it's just really not there yet.

After the Spirit Island campaign, I was hoping it would get some things fixed. Sadly, seeing the Gloomhaven 2e/RPG/Minis campaign, it's like they haven't learned or fixed much of anything.

There's been some small improvements of late - like making it a bit easier to find actual project updates among a sea of small questions and troll posts - but it's got a ways to go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

I had a bit of a rant in the Crowdfunding thread the other day about Backerkit. I was really hopeful it would be a reasonable and excellent alternative to Kickstarter but it's just really not there yet.

Yeah I saw you bring that up. It's the one alternative I had the most hopes for but it seems nobody can really figure out how to just do Kickstarter But Less lovely, and thus I suspect that any crowdfunding that doesn't come from the huge box board game end of things is going to continue to be married to Kickstarter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

So twitter is currently suffering from some weird self-DDoS that's causing people to be told they're "rate limited" and it seems this is the result of a failed rollout of a deliberate change by Elon Musk to enforce limits on how many posts you can view a day to combat "data scraping." Without blue checkmark verification, you're limited to 600 read posts a day.
Why he made the change:

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

They started paying the GCP bill again on June 21st.

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-has-supposedly-started-paying-its-google-cloud-bill-again-213824844.html

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kai Tave posted:

I've talked before about how as dumb and bad as twitter is, it's one of the most effective platforms for indie/smaller press RPG publishers and creators to advertise their work, upcoming kickstarters, share streams of games, etc. Twitter being made progressively worse and worse to use is going to have a pretty outsized effect on creators like that, I suspect, and much like how there hasn't been a crowdfunding alternative which has presented itself as The New Kickstarter, none of the other social media alternatives (Mastodon, Bluesky, Cohost, whatever) have effectively poised themselves as a Twitter replacement. It's tangential to the TG industry directly since it also stands to impact a lot of other things besides tabletop games, but I figured it's worth bringing up here given Twitter's de facto status as the promotional platform of choice for those within the industry.

Kind of pisses me off that I see way more promoted bullshit than ever before. It used to be that if I blocked a few dozen promoted tweets the rate would slow down, now its every third tweet. And it's literally always crypto poo poo.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey goons! It's the PocketQuest 2023 Game Jam. If you're interested in a co-operative worldbuilding game set in a vast space-opera setting, please check out my entry: THE ODDER REACHES! This is my first game since I launched DEAD IN THE WEST last year (in no small part thanks to some advice I received in this thread). Please let me know what you think!

(All comments/reviews much appreciated)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

I've seen a lot of people saying they're moving to Bluesky now, and the current big barrier to mass adoption there is that it's still in a "beta invite" stage. If it can roll out publicly soon though it might actually become the main Twitter alternative. Which is funny but also depressing because it's just "Jack Dorsey's Twitter 2.0" with even more insufferable tech bro impulses. Cohost is going to go bankrupt very soon and Mastodon will never be able to replace Twitter because you can't really cross-promote or search across federated instances easily, so it'll never be a useful platform for self-promotion or networking.