Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Doesn't he have to approve every use of it anyhow? He can let her retain these powers and just never approve any move she makes IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
She would also have to try to use them, they're basically just to get legislation passed where you only have 1/3rd support on council.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
No approval needed, and there's a lot more involved in the strong powers than just the veto-type thing.

The creation and dissolving of committees, appointing chairs, assigning duties to the city manager, hiring and firing of division heads, unilateral veto of budget amendments, and a few other things.

The veto is just one part of it and the only requirement is that it must be in line with designated "provincial priorities".

The priorities designated by law are here https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/220580

quote:

1. Building 1.5 million new residential units by December 31, 2031.

2. Constructing and maintaining infrastructure to support housing, including,

i. transit,

ii. roads,

iii. utilities, and

iv. servicing.

If Saunders had won he almost certainly would've introduced and used his veto to remove as many bike lanes as possible on the grounds that they interfere with roads/transit needed to support housing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fidelitious posted:

No approval needed, and there's a lot more involved in the strong powers than just the veto-type thing.

The creation and dissolving of committees, appointing chairs, assigning duties to the city manager, hiring and firing of division heads, unilateral veto of budget amendments, and a few other things.

The veto is just one part of it and the only requirement is that it must be in line with designated "provincial priorities".

The priorities designated by law are here https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/220580

If Saunders had won he almost certainly would've introduced and used his veto to remove as many bike lanes as possible on the grounds that they interfere with roads/transit needed to support housing.

We're still beholden to the province if we want to fund anything outside of municipal fees, property taxes, and the land transfer tax.

Significant portions of the TTC are effectively owned by the province now too, and I can foresee issues with trying to expand the light rail network or improve service standards.

I wonder how much Toronto specific legislation we're going to see out of Queens Park the next three years.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sounds like all the admin and tech workers in NS hospitals might go on strike soon. Across the three unions representing various forms of computer toucher 80% authorised a strike in response to the Tory's lovely deal. Good luck to them

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

He has nothing to worry about with a progressive using Strong Mayoral powers. It's not in their nature, it's only something a power hungry top down dictator wannabe conservative would use anyway. It's designed so only their half of the divide would ever use it anyway.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/trevortombe/status/1673688862886080512?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Thanks Galen

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Grocery revenue dropping? Can we get Galen a bailout

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
But... what about Justinflation? I thought Canada was broken!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Turns out it was old man Galenflation the whole time!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

We're still beholden to the province if we want to fund anything outside of municipal fees, property taxes, and the land transfer tax.

Cool increase those taxes then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Turns out it was old man Galenflation the whole time!

Canada is broken, not letting hard-working grocery moguls get their fair share in peace and quiet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It’s good to steal from Galen Weston, imho.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

It’s good to steal from Galen Weston, imho.

sadly we still have to follow D&D forum rules and this is not a calm hitler post so you're about to get sent to the neoliberal capitalism reeducation camp

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like you're just a yokel who doesn't understand that 1.9 billion is actually a very small number.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Looks like Postmedia and Torstar may be merging. I hope you all like Rex Murphy because he’s going to be the last newspaper columnist in the country pretty soon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

Cool increase those taxes then

Here's hoping

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MikeSevigny posted:

Looks like Postmedia and Torstar may be merging. I hope you all like Rex Murphy because he’s going to be the last newspaper columnist in the country pretty soon.

lol

Just last week Bell was whining about local news requirements (the ones imposed on them to justify their oligopoly) being too onerous for them to meet and unfairly styming their efforts to bring customers the content they Crave:

quote:

Malcolmson said the core issue for Bell is that popular U.S. content isn’t available to Canadian broadcasters because American platforms are offering it directly to consumers on their in-house streaming services. He urged policymakers to mandate assurances that would allow Canadian broadcasters to pay American companies in order to air that content.

“Notably, absent this relief, we will be required to continue operating these stations in an environment of significant regulatory uncertainty while the Commission works to implement Bill C-11’s policy directives,” the application stated. :qq:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

eXXon posted:

lol

Just last week Bell was whining about local news requirements (the ones imposed on them to justify their oligopoly) being too onerous for them to meet and unfairly styming their efforts to bring customers the content they Crave:

I am all for dropping the local news requirement....along with eliminating the bullshit duopoly on telecommunications Rogers and Bell have.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nationalize the telecom infrastructure IMO.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’ve got an idea, Bell: eat poo poo, and when you’re done, gently caress off.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why didn't we gently caress them when it was discovered they were running a fake help line?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Someone tried to stab a bunch of people at UWaterloo gender studies class today:

https://twitter.com/JeffreyASachs/status/1674189169185234945

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Someone tried to stab a bunch of people at UWaterloo gender studies class today:

not even a gender studies class. that's a philosophy class about gender. might not even be remotely feminist!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Scum

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've been watching the news again, and I'm told that the center of the universe -- Toronto -- is being affected by the same conditions the rest of the country has been dealing with for months, and it's now an extremely serious issue, necessitating 80% or more of all news coverage. There's smoke, you see! Smoke in the air! No one's ever seen this before, but many people are talking about it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PT6A posted:

I've been watching the news again, and I'm told that the center of the universe -- Toronto -- is being affected by the same conditions the rest of the country has been dealing with for months, and it's now an extremely serious issue, necessitating 80% or more of all news coverage. There's smoke, you see! Smoke in the air! No one's ever seen this before, but many people are talking about it.

With Marvel I think we can safely upgrade our glorious city to the centre of the *multiverse*.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeC posted:

With Marvel I think we can safely upgrade our glorious city to the centre of the *multiverse*.

Remember it’s been canon in Star Trek for 30 years that the aliens that have portals that can take you anywhere have one already set up to go to Nathan Phillips Square for some reason.

e: also one that takes you to Lake Louise for some reason.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 29, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Remember it’s been canon in Star Trek for 30 years that the aliens that have portals that can take you anywhere have one already set up to go to Nathan Phillips Square for some reason.

Michael Eddington was from Canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

PT6A posted:

I was on the 50th floor of a building in midtown and the view was nothing but a glowing formless void in all directions.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ottawa was clear yesterday and today (after being not so great sun/mon) but apparently it's gonna be real bad tomorrow.

Also jesus.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Arivia posted:

Picard decided he would rather go to the bridge of a Romulan warbird, I don’t blame him.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Imagine how much worse this could have been if Canada had the same gun-fixated mental illness that America has.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We don't have to imagine too hard, we had an antifeminist mass shooting a few decades ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Alek Minassian killed 11 people with a rented van.

Alexandre Bissonnette killed six in a mosque with a pistol.

IDK if there's a point to the comparisons, but our local brand of derangement is plenty deadly

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think it does show that our gun control systems are having an effect. Most firearms that are easily concealable are either Restricted-class or Prohibited-class, and the latter have been for 30+ years at this point. I don't know much about the black market in Canada, but it feels like it is a lot more challenging to access if you are planning your spree killing in a short time frame (that sick gently caress in Nova Scotia had been building stuff up for a few years). That and because of all the bureaucratic BS the Liberals instituted last year, legally acquiring restricted firearms has taken at least 5x as long as it had before (and even before then, our system was very much like Homer's gun buying experience)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Yes let’s all try to find the bright side of the stabbing

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
With comparisons to America and how it would have been worth there? What could be a more Caandian response?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Ottawa was clear yesterday and today (after being not so great sun/mon) but apparently it's gonna be real bad tomorrow.

Also jesus.

take that, Columbus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

take that, Columbus

I'm not sure if they can, at this point.
* cue a reply about well actually the rust belt is back and better than ever!
** and another one about making the Great Lakes Great Again.
*** then a what, are you stupid? Columbus is inland, you're thinking of Cleveland.
**** absolutely nobody is thinking of Cleveland.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 29, 2023