Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

bus hustler posted:

I'm as skeptical of this as I am "ketchup and mustard" theory in fast food restaurant coloring.

The digital world has one huge advantage in that there is a mountain of empirical evidence and data to draw on.

And based on my own experience, ridiculously small changes can make a huge difference.

One company I worked for was able to boost their website conversion rate by 32% by changing one word in their Google ads (from "Cheapest" or "Compare" to "Cheap"). That was accounting for all other factors. Getting a 32% bump in revenue by changing a single word was quite... well received.

So changing the colour (and text, and location, and size) of a button can make a big difference. And if you still Doubt, you can always test it.

Many companies will routinely run several different versions of their UX/website design simultaneously, serving them to different customers on the same day. You very quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

If you're wondering why a lot of interface/app design is still terrible, well, it's usually because the people running the company are completely clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Even the uncomfortable seats, I wonder how much of that is intentionally making it uncomfortable vs like... ripped cushions look shittier than nicked wood

Yeah to be totally candid I know nothing about how that stuff operates in restaurant or physical retail worlds or whatever. I do know how it works on the web/ecommerce and that would make me absolutely believe that those things are true in the restaurant world but like the above post points out there's mountains and mountains of studies and evidence on this when it comes to digital platforms and I've just been assuming the same thing is true for other industries.

Aertuun posted:

Many companies will routinely run several different versions of their UX/website design simultaneously, serving them to different customers on the same day. You very quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

The good ol' AB test :unsmith:

I worked at one web hosting company which did "flickers". If they wanted feedback on new features, they would pull a list of accounts with a high volume of support contacts, AB test them into the new features, then a few weeks later "flicker" their sites (intentional intermittent outages) which would coax them into calling in to figure out what was wrong with their site - the support team would "fix the issue" and prompt them for feedback about the new features while they were there.

It was also fun to take contacts from the support team about bug reports, spend hours collating and filing them in jira, writing up reports and presenting them to product teams at sprint meetings only to be told "oh yeah that's just an AB test we did where we took away that functionality"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2023

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do you think that people who work in marketing and advertising ever feel bad, like that they're making the human experience worse? Or is it just like every other industry in that you have to shut yourselves off to the harm and just feed your family. poo poo, the poor bastards working the phones at, say Navient, the student loan fuckholes, are just trying to live, despite the demonstrable harm that the whole industry does.

I'd be interested in reading an A/T thread from a marketing and advertising professional.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
An old friend I've lost touch with that went into marketing was the kinda dude that thought the idea of manipulating/tricking people into thinking things was fun and found the challenge of figuring out how to do that for different products rewarding.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

in my experience most people in marketing seem to think that they are helping to make the world a better place

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Narzack posted:

Do you think that people who work in marketing and advertising ever feel bad, like that they're making the human experience worse? Or is it just like every other industry in that you have to shut yourselves off to the harm and just feed your family. poo poo, the poor bastards working the phones at, say Navient, the student loan fuckholes, are just trying to live, despite the demonstrable harm that the whole industry does.

I'd be interested in reading an A/T thread from a marketing and advertising professional.

I've done a lot of ecommerce consulting, and while the reasons for me leaving that career are different and personal, this is exactly why I refuse to go back to it.

e: I think most people who work in marketing are blissfully ignorant of exactly what they're doing, because to them their job is on a much smaller scale: Here's Bob and he wants your help making a little more money - and oh, that would be easy to do by just changing your "add to cart" text to "buy now"! Most of them work for agencies which are heavy compartmentalized and the individual workers only handle very small niches, like optimizing search placement on local directories.

I didn't really start to realize how hosed up it was until I started working for a company that was spearheading most of the market research at the time and I got direct access to all of their reports and I got to see that it's not just some neat tricks here or there to increase revenue, it's literal brainwashing to alter the behavior of shoppers to increase our client's revenue. It doesn't work just because I'm good with words and picked out the right word to use, it worked because that word has been proven to make people buy even when they wouldn't otherwise (not everyone by any means, but a statistically significant amount)

The very specific moral quandary I had with doing the work is exactly that last bit at the end - realizing that the only goal was to trick people who didn't want to spend money into spending it anyway. It's not about better products or better ads, or getting your ads in front of people who are looking for a product (that part is already 'solved' and automated in ecommerce/digital marketing) it's about tearing down the barriers that various people have between them and frivolous spending. It's about making that college student question whether they really need dinner tonight when they could buy this rad t-shirt instead - after all, dinner will fulfill you for a few minutes, but this shirt will get you laid for years.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 29, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I got banned from a large subreddit for calling some guy running defense for a famous transphobe streamer a "triggered snowflake"

Great website love it

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

On the grayscale phone thing, am I the only one who tried it and thought it looked kinda cool?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

RIF is shutting down on the 30th. It stripped absolutely everything away and I love it. Sucks. Anyone else use it?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've wanted an eink android phone for years, but I haven't heard of one with consistently good reviews yet

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

neato burrito posted:

RIF is shutting down on the 30th. It stripped absolutely everything away and I love it. Sucks. Anyone else use it?

I do, or did.
Was the only way I enjoyed browsing reddit. Won't even use reddit now that RIF is dead unless it's the only source of a niche lookup.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

neato burrito posted:

Grey Cat posted:

I do, or did.
Was the only way I enjoyed browsing reddit. Won't even use reddit now that RIF is dead unless it's the only source of a niche lookup.

Same. The only way I'll browse Reddit is on PC now until old.reddit.com is finally axed

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

we gather here today, not to mock these posters for their disgraceful posting pasts—but, to congratulate them on their bright posting futures :patriot:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

The outright disdain Spez and the gang have shown for its posters was the last push I needed to leave it behind for good. I also quit discord with all that username garbage although I don't know if that last one will take. I'm just so tired of entshitification or whatever term you want to use, there's nothing wrong with IRC or dead gay internet forums, it does the job just fine.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I thought the Discord username thing was just updating their backend so you didn't have to memorize some dumbshit random number the way you do for Activision and Blizzard

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the discord name thing was pointless and a mild inconvenience, but not really in the same league as reddit completely dismantling the way a large portion of its users access the site

e:

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I thought the Discord username thing was just updating their backend so you didn't have to memorize some dumbshit random number the way you do for Activision and Blizzard

yeah, pretty much. it annoys some people that they have to pick a new name. in the long run, it's probably a positive change and will make fraud and scams slightly harder to pull off, but some people are pissed about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Realistically you never had to memorize it, or even know it. You clicked your face and it just copied it to clipboard.

And I wish Discord was more like mIRC. No rainbow text and changing background colours. Or direct downloading comics from some random users bot lol.

Most of the IRC networks I used don't exist anymore and the ones that do don't seem to have the channels I did either. Always wondered if there were still thriving pockets of IRC out there.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

It was Discord updating their backend so don't have to keep paying for Nitro Classic anymore to keep my vanity dumbshit numbers.

And also now the dumbshit numbers are just part of your username because good loving luck getting the username you actually wanted without throwing numbers on the end of it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Khanstant posted:

Most of the IRC networks I used don't exist anymore and the ones that do don't seem to have the channels I did either. Always wondered if there were still thriving pockets of IRC out there.

:filez:
The ebook channels are really popular.

https://twitter.com/maskofbun/status/1655085536992976897?t=PiIbEViDj5EUxeJWll5s0A&s=19

There are 960 holds on this book in my library system because of that tweet. When it was a fresh Hugo and Nebula winner there was no wait between clicking check out and it loading up on my Kindle. Now it's likely more than a year's wait...or a few minutes if you know how to use IRC.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

biznatchio posted:

It was Discord updating their backend so don't have to keep paying for Nitro Classic anymore to keep my vanity dumbshit numbers.

And also now the dumbshit numbers are just part of your username because good loving luck getting the username you actually wanted without throwing numbers on the end of it.

My username is the same one I had before but without numbers. Idk come up with a unique username?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Narzack posted:

Not at all. But then I'm in B2B and have no concerns over separating some CEOs from a couple of millions here and there.

big black turnout posted:

My username is the same one I had before but without numbers. Idk come up with a unique username?
Just got this notification yesterday. Only use discord when absolutely necessary so I don't really give a poo poo. But they're telling me I have to replace my name that has some numbers at the end with some other numbers? It's dumb.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I feel like I don't understand discord enough because I legit don't get the outrage. Is there a reason the company didn't just make everyone's username the name+numbers then give the option to change if they wanted?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Narzack posted:

Lol that you think people in marketing possess the higher cognitive functions required to form a conscience

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I also don't understand the discord thing. I won't read the blurb, I won't click it, and if it stops working then Ok i guess

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I didn't mean to equate discord changes with what's happening with reddit, if that's how anyone took it. Some suggest the username changes are bringing Discord in line with other social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc. for the sake of valuation, making it easier to sell. It's not something that can be proven, or that I would even care to argue, but it’s a possibility. However, what I would argue is that Discord will follow in the footsteps of reddit and other private companies looking to go public will, and that's to become shittier and shittier over time in an effort to get the highest possible valuation for an IPO. And afterwards, continue on that downward trajectory as shareholders look to squeeze every last cent they can out of the company at the expense of those who actually use the platform.

I might be way ahead on the curve on this one or maybe I’m just wrong, but I am sick and tired of the process that even the possibility of being subjected to yet another app becoming increasingly hostile to its user base simply to make a handful of assholes more money is enough to send me packing.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 29, 2023

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

https://twitter.com/maskofbun/status/1655085536992976897?t=PiIbEViDj5EUxeJWll5s0A&s=19

There are 960 holds on this book in my library system because of that tweet. When it was a fresh Hugo and Nebula winner there was no wait between clicking check out and it loading up on my Kindle. Now it's likely more than a year's wait...or a few minutes if you know how to use IRC.

That book was ok I guess.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Narzack posted:

Like the Upton Sinclair quote: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

In my experience yes there are definitely sociopaths who somehow think marketing trickery is a net positive on the world somehow.

But I was surprised that many of the ad/marketing types I ran into had a different vibe. This is a specific subset, namely, people who have self-applied the name "creative" (noun) as their loving job title, as if that in an of itself wasn't the deepest proof of the meaninglessness of that job. So, this is people who write ads, conceive of campaigns, maybe work with an outside company to make videos for it, etc. When I was first starting out as an editor and couldn't only get work on making stuff that people actually willingly want to see, I did a handful of ads, and the people from the ad agency, or the internal marketing team, were basically people who'd tried to do an actually creative job, without the quote marks, noticed they could drive a german car if they did the twisted marketing version of that job, and chosen the german car.

And many of them HATED themselves for it. Extremely miserable people trying to write funny or compelling scripts to sell whatever bullshit they didn't care about, and they knew it was wrong, and they knew the only context anyone would see their work was unwillingly.

If I'm being honest with myself can say a measure of this was projection because those were miserable loving jobs for me when I was working with these people, and many of them wouldn't have put it in those terms, but the vibe was unmistakeable. The feeling that, at best, the world is bad already so I guess I have to do this bad thing.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

MisterOblivious posted:

Worth having this one physically for the formatting imo.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Narzack posted:

Do you think that people who work in marketing and advertising ever feel bad, like that they're making the human experience worse? Or is it just like every other industry in that you have to shut yourselves off to the harm and just feed your family.

One company I'm aware of made all their money from advertising on the same search terms as major financial institutions, taking advantage of the fact that a large chunk of people can't tell the difference between Google paid ads and search results. They then sold that traffic back to the financial institutions themselves. This company made astonishing amounts of money doing absolutely nothing, and at that stage the big financial companies didn't have the basic level of expertise to realise what was going on.

You would click the search result, go through to a landing page, and then click another link that would take you through to the financial institution you were originally trying to find.

In several cases they ranked above the company's themselves in organic search results as well. Free money!

The people in charge of the company were very devout Christians, and were always stuck in a bit of a moral balancing act between, "This is clearly a bit wrong" and "Holy poo poo, what a lot of money we're making". They stumbled onto the entire sector by accident. They gave a lot of money to charity.

People working at the company were a mix of people who understood what was going on and found it funny, people who didn't really understand how the company made money even though it was their job to, and at least one (genuine) sociopath who thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Also various support staff for whom this was their Job and they just ordered the stationary and worked out where people sat.

If you mentioned the word "arbitrage" it was heavily frowned upon. There were various routes to going legit and actually building a genuine business that helped people, however this invariably involved messing with the secret sauce that kept the cash rolling in. Once they lost those paid and organic rankings, it wasn't clear to anyone that they could get them back.

The people at the top were very much in the bracket of, "We don't want to acknowledge this is Bad because our entire company relies on it."

The sociopath eventually left with all his contacts to form a rival company, which didn't do anywhere nearly as well as he hoped it would.

e: To give an impression of how much was being made, some of the best search terms would be producing between $5,000 and $10,000 a day of revenue each, with a ROI of between 3 and 4. Or in the cases of organic results, no expenditure needed at all. Free money!

Aertuun fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 29, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's so some dipshit discord dev could get the name they wanted and be ~unique~. Internally the numbers are still there, but forced to #0000 and hidden, unless you're on some ancient client that still shows them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

So it's just the raw concept of change itself that caused people to complain? It still makes no sense why anyone would be mad except the one person with a stolen name then

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Geemer posted:

It's so some dipshit discord dev could get the name they wanted and be ~unique~. Internally the numbers are still there, but forced to #0000 and hidden, unless you're on some ancient client that still shows them.

I had my name changed on discord and while luckily I was able to get what I had wanted. If you go to your profile on mobile on iOS, this “originally known as” pop up shows.

let me rot in peace

I’m still not quite sure why the name change was needed, and I’ve yet to check on desktop if that’s the same, but this is kind of the awkward middle where Discord is now. Kind of reminds me of AIM, in all honesty.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm weed_lord on discord forever now so actually the system is good imho

Spell_blade
Apr 8, 2009
One of my friends on discord has a highly sought after name now and he's constantly getting random friend requests and people sending him messages asking for the name. One dude threatened him and another offered him 10000 dollars for it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/getnarwhal/comments/14kt9wj/narwhal_is_not_going_anywhere_subscriptions_and/

quote:

Hey all, I want to give you an update on what is happening with Narwhal. I've been talking with Reddit a lot about the API changes and what it will mean for Narwhal.

Narwhal is not going anywhere on July 1st. It will continue to operate as it has for many years (except it will not have ads anymore). Over the next few months, I am going to be adding subscriptions into Narwhal 2. The subscriptions will be there to cover the cost of using the Reddit API. I am still figuring out what to do for heavy power users, but there may be a base plan which includes X number of API requests/month and you can top up your balance with another purchase. The subscription will likely be in the $4-$7 range to start. It may change based on total usage of the app (either up or down) to cover the costs of using the reddit API.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lol at topping up my reddit client subscription.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Spell_blade posted:

One of my friends on discord

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Wondering how far away we are from 'girl you're cute, what's your Discord?'

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lusty Grundles posted:

Wondering how far away we are from 'girl you're cute, what's your Discord?'

Was first asked of me in March of this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m surprised they haven’t strong-armed r/BestOf yet. Still locked down with no content.

https://reddit.com/r/bestof