Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also what if I don’t have a windows or mac desktop to perform that backup? Could I just reformat the phone, choose no backup option, let iCloud download my photos and contacts for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Surprise T Rex posted:

My XR is occasionally laggy as hell, like to the point of taking 4+ seconds to respond to the shutter button press in the camera, or a webpage locking up not only Safari but even my ability to switch apps or go back to the Home Screen.

Is a factory reset likely to help or is the phone just old and lovely now? Was planning to reset it “clean” and not restore a backup so don’t want to bother reinstalling and logging into everything all over again if it’s unlikely to be of any use.

I go by Android rules: factory reset after a year or a letter os upgrade, no matter what. It'll help. Even ios has trouble getting rid of old garbage files.

Surprise T Rex posted:

Also, what is the System Data using up tons of my storage?

Deleted photos/files being held for thirty days just in case you change your mind, spotify poo poo, garbage files, temp files, and a bunch of other stuff. Factory resetting usually removes a good chunk of it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

Also what if I don’t have a windows or mac desktop to perform that backup? Could I just reformat the phone, choose no backup option, let iCloud download my photos and contacts for me?

Yeah, you could do Erase All Content & Settings. There's a few extra steps because when you do this it assumes you're giving the phone away, so you have to turn activation lock off and then back on. But after erasing, you could restore an iCloud backup. Make sure there's an actual iCloud backup in addition to whatever is already being saved through iCloud.

e: You could also do what you described by setting it up as a new phone, in which case logging in to your Apple ID and iCloud would download your contacts, photos, etc. But restoring an actual iCloud backup is a lot less work and still removes all the junk data.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 27, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just a quick bit for AirPods Pro OGs, my set repaired last September is starting to croak again. I've opened the support article again to see if the recall was still active and apple has added an expiration to it, three years since the original purchase date, so late this year it will be over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So, apple weather app seems to be a bit hit or miss lately.

With Dark Sky gone (rip) any specific weather apps people use? Anyone have better luck with apple weather app (I thought I heard they had some issues with it but I am not quite sure).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah Apple Weather has been having issues on and off lately. Carrot is the only other one I’ve tried and it’s fine, I’m just not interested in paying for it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It’s absurd that they claimed the integrated dark sky into apple weather and shut down the app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure wish Safari could display PDFs in the iOS 17 beta.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Carrot for awhile. Despite its reputation as the app that swears at you, you can set it so it's just a normal weather app. It's super customizable, so you can pick the info you want to see, as well as the source of the data. Not all features are free (I think you can only use OpenWeather if you're not on premium).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah carrot is fine once you turn off the personality stuff. It’s cute but imo gets annoying after a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So there’s no time limit for the free stuff ? We’ll give it a roll then, I just don’t want to pay annually for a weather app.

While we lived Dark Sky, we just need basic daily forecasts, nothing fancy.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
For what it’s worth, Hello Weather (https://helloweather.com) is very good and has a couple of sources I didn’t see in Carrot. I think it’s something like $1/mo if you sub annually.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Where are we on the update schedule for apple watches? My series 4 is kind of shot these days.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tuyop posted:

Where are we on the update schedule for apple watches? My series 4 is kind of shot these days.

The regular Series X watches are on a yearly schedule.

SE editions seem to be out every two years.

The Ultra is rumored to maybe get an update this year but who knows so far.

If you could wait till September for the Series 9 that might be your best bet. At the very least you'd be able to get the 8 for a nice low price.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Do any of the weather apps let you put a widget on the Lock Screen in place of the little weather blurb? I love that widget and I’m not ready to give up the lovely Weather.app if it means that goes away

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Macichne Leainig posted:

Do any of the weather apps let you put a widget on the Lock Screen in place of the little weather blurb? I love that widget and I’m not ready to give up the lovely Weather.app if it means that goes away

Carrot absolutely has lock screen widgets.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/carrot-weather-lock-screen-widgets-ios-16-update/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Absolutely wait to get an S9 if you can manage it. The 6, 7, 8, SE, and Ultra all use the same CPU (technically different SoCs, but the actual processor is the same), and the S9 is expected to finally update that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Absolutely wait to get an S9 if you can manage it. The 6, 7, and 8 all use the same CPU (technically different SoCs, but the actual processor is the same), and the S9 is expected to finally update that.

That would be the best choice maybe, but I can't possibly imagine the S9 chip doing something so insane that getting an S8 on some fire sale wouldn't cover.

I'm just saying if you find the S8 at a really really good price that would sway you to that over the S9, it's not a bad choice either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I don’t know what part of me still thinks we’re on iOS 15 because I read this and my first thought was “well that will be great when I update my phone”

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Absolutely wait to get an S9 if you can manage it. The 6, 7, 8, SE, and Ultra all use the same CPU (technically different SoCs, but the actual processor is the same), and the S9 is expected to finally update that.

They're at the point where everything you'd want to do on a watch already happens fairly instantly, but I guess if the CPU uses a new process is could improve battery life? That's the main thing really. But otherwise, if you're happy with a watch with an approx 18 hr battery life, a 7 or 8 at a good discount will do everything you want. I don't think any amount of improved CPU will make you want to use an Apple Watch as your phone replacement or whatever.

Honestly, because it's something you're going to wear on your person, I would strongly suggest just going for whichever series has the colour you want in the size you want. If menstrual tracking is important to you, go for the 8.

The caveat here is whether they update the series watches to be more in-line with the Ultra, but I don't know how likely that is.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I've had a 5 for a few years now and it's mostly fine. The only think I'd like out of a newer one is faster charging which I think the last model or two do? But I've still been holding out and a CPU refresh might get me to finally pull the trigger.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the watch tips everyone! I’ll save and get one in September

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

So there’s no time limit for the free stuff ? We’ll give it a roll then, I just don’t want to pay annually for a weather app.

While we lived Dark Sky, we just need basic daily forecasts, nothing fancy.

one caveat with carrot weather that has become super relevant lately is that you have to pay not just $20/year but $40/year to see an air quality index number :nallears:

(note that despite air quality being an ultra premium feature it does not actively block national weather service advisories about air quality)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I have an older DSLR and would appreciate some way to automatically geotag photos taken with it - is there a recommended app that will export locations and timecodes and let me apply locations to them as part of my Lightroom import? There seem to be a few of them but no idea which of them isn't a scammy waste of time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

So, apple weather app seems to be a bit hit or miss lately.

With Dark Sky gone (rip) any specific weather apps people use? Anyone have better luck with apple weather app (I thought I heard they had some issues with it but I am not quite sure).

I've been using weawow for a couple months and it's been great. Its name also sounds like a borat joke

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Got my iPhone XR battery replaced back in October 2022. Health is already down to 95%. Should I have it looked at if it’s down to 90% by September? My previous battery took 4 years to get down to 85%

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 14 Pro from October is also down to 95. Just the wear of hard used devices sadly.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For the entire first 15 months of owning my 13 Pro, the battery stayed at 100% health. Then within the last four months it's dipped down to 92%. I never tried to "janitor" it or anything, the one thing I noticed is that I don't think I ever let the battery get below 10% and once I finally did, that's when it started dipping fast. It could have been that, but it also could have been nothing I did. There's no real way to know.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

91% crew checking in

E- 14 pro that is

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowy posted:

91% crew checking in

E- 14 pro that is

A level of pro posting we all wish to achieve

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
95% on my 14 pro max

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

Got my iPhone XR battery replaced back in October 2022. Health is already down to 95%. Should I have it looked at if it’s down to 90% by September? My previous battery took 4 years to get down to 85%

Bought a 13 mini in September and its around that. What's the actual battery life like though?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Bought a 13 mini in September and its around that. What's the actual battery life like though?

Not as great as I remember. But I figure thats apps in 2023 being bigger performance hogs than they were when the phone released in 2018, so maybe my phone is taking more energy to do the same things? definitely heats up like it does.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My 12 mini is starting to show its age at 86%

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My 14 Pro is at 93% and I hate that I can’t make it a full day without a charge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My 14 non pro is still reading 100% and I can go like two days without charging.

Scrub phone supremacy. :smug:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
14 Pro from November ish at 100%, but it sits on a wireless charger all day on my desk, so I guess that helps ? I always forget how batteries deplete.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm also still at 100% on my 14 Pro, and I'm pretty sure slow charging it at 500mA helped with that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
96% on a 14 Pro, never let it go below 20%.

Dammit, janitoring was a lie all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
79% launch week iPhone 11 :ocelot: