Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kalel posted:

are there any white superheroes with "white" in the name? I can't think of any

White Dragon from Peacemaker obvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

kalel posted:

white tiger?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
White Vision.

Who sounds like some kind of racist zine.

...Gandalf the White

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ranger

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

kalel posted:

He neither has "white" in his name nor is he a hero, but I feel compelled to mention Snowflame whose powers are fueled by cocaine.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

He neither has "white" in his name nor is he a hero, but I feel compelled to mention Snowflame whose powers are fueled by cocaine.

Surprised there isn't a Black Snow whose powers are fueled by crack

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Black Manta was my fav part of Aquaman, everything about him, and him not being in the last act absolutely hurt the film

The entire movie could have been him coming up with ways to murder an oblivious Aquaman and I would have loved it

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are there white lanterns

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Someone gave me a Green Lantern collection to try and read a few years ago. It went through the different teams, how there's a Yellow Lantern Corps(?), a Red Lantern, a Blue Lantern, a Black Lantern, etc. So I was like, okay, I think I got it.

Then they go "So on Earth II..." and I gave up. I can't keep track of all that poo poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Who gets a much longer prison sentence than Snowflame.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Are there white lanterns

Not only yes, the object that gives them power is a white power ring.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Why generate a house when the bank will just loan you money for one

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, but you know it's only a matter of time before you need the assistance of your friend The White Flight.

Oh and Black Panther has a sometimes partner named White Wolf. They even teased calling Bucky that in the MCU before wisely dropping it.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 29, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rochallor posted:

Not only yes, the object that gives them power is a white power ring.

ahahaha oh no

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, but you know it's only a matter of time before you need the assistance of your friend The White Flight.

Oh and Black Panther has a sometimes partner named White Wolf. They even teased calling Bucky that in the MCU before wisely dropping it.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Hunter_(Earth-616) posted:

Hunter is the adopted brother of the Black Panther, whose staunch nationalism often puts him at odds with the more compassionate King of Wakanda.

Hunter's white complexion was also a boon to the Wakandan royal family, though, and T'Chaka would send him on missions to places overseas that were easier for Europeans to access. Not even T'Challa knew the full extent of Hunter's early involvement with the Wakandan secret police, the Hatut Zeraze.[4]

After their father's passing T'Challa went on walkabout throughout Africa, and their uncle the regent S'Yan gave more power to Hunter to maintain peace. With this power, Hunter sought to strengthen Wakanda by weakening its neighbors, sending the Hatut Zeraze to sow unrest.

So he's a white Wakandan nationalist who works for the Wakandan version of the CIA.

Yeah I'm sure Disney would handle that well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Just have Rafael Casal play his character from Blindspotting

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Prowler posted:

I think they're going more for the character--the alien symbiote--not actual venom.

No, it’s venom as in the venom that most spiders have. His abilities are all called stuff like “venom blast”, “venom punch”, etc. Admittedly it wasn’t a great choice when there’s also a super popular character called Venom but whatever

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qvUwofmwI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I remember reading a quote from Stan Lee when Miles Morales became ultimate Spiderman, and he said something like, “I think it’s great that they’re doing a black Spiderman. I wouldn’t have killed the other Spiderman. I’d have made the new Spiderman one of his friends, and I’d have given him a name like ‘the Black Spider’ and they would fight crime together before he got his own comic!”

It’s a wonderful quote because that’s exactly what Stan would have done, except his comic would have died in ten issues.

This is exactly what Sony did with their Spider-Man games only they just called him "Spider-Man" as well.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Someone gave me a Green Lantern collection to try and read a few years ago. It went through the different teams, how there's a Yellow Lantern Corps(?), a Red Lantern, a Blue Lantern, a Black Lantern, etc. So I was like, okay, I think I got it.

Then they go "So on Earth II..." and I gave up. I can't keep track of all that poo poo.

I get this every time I read a Wikipedia page on a superhero, where some nerd had exhaustively catalogued how Lofi the Sonic Saviour has sound manipulating powers but after the 2nd Crisis War, they learnt how to fly and read minds with sound, but then they merged with Boombox, their counterpart from Earth-23 in the Crustacean Dimension, losing those powers but gaining heat vision until this was retconned in ...

When they write all this down, don't they see how dumb it is?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

nonathlon posted:

I get this every time I read a Wikipedia page on a superhero, where some nerd had exhaustively catalogued how Lofi the Sonic Saviour has sound manipulating powers but after the 2nd Crisis War, they learnt how to fly and read minds with sound, but then they merged with Boombox, their counterpart from Earth-23 in the Crustacean Dimension, losing those powers but gaining heat vision until this was retconned in ...

That’s really tame compared to what Wikipedia pop culture articles were 15 years ago. It was like a much lower standards TV Tropes back then.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

nonathlon posted:

I like reading this kind of history no matter how dumb it is because of what it's telling me about the creative process of the writers/editors/company of the time. It's absolutely super loving dumb if you think about it happening to a real person instead of a fictional character/universe handled by multiple teams of people across decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grendels Dad posted:

They should give Spider-Man's Black Cat electric powers, no reasons given.

Like some kind of... thunder cat...

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

And now I'm picturing an entire team of drug powered characters that really should have been a thing in the 80s or 90s.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Black Manta was my fav part of Aquaman, everything about him, and him not being in the last act absolutely hurt the film

We almost had a movie about him going against the trench monsters, but WB did not have enough vision in their heads after the Justice League mess.

Hopefully he gets more to do in Aquaman 2.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Just have Rafael Casal play his character from Blindspotting

This is how I found out there's a TV show of the great movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

We almost had a movie about him going against the trench monsters, but WB did not have enough vision in their heads after the Justice League mess.

Hopefully he gets more to do in Aquaman 2.

Man

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like some kind of... thunder cat...

*Black* Thunder Cat, as we have now established that having electrical powers is what makes you black.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

marshmallow creep posted:

So he's a white Wakandan nationalist who works for the Wakandan version of the CIA.

Yeah I'm sure Disney would handle that well.

This is why what's on Hunter's laptop is so important

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

*Black* Thunder Cat, as we have now established that having electrical powers is what makes you black.

His name is Panthro
:goonsay:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

His name is Panthro.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

This explains the Electric Slide I guess

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

His name is Robert "Panthro" Paulson

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Made even more unfortunate when they got ninja powers, resulting in the White Power Ranger running around dressed like this:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He can just grab one of those torches in the background when it starts getting dark.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He can just grab one of those torches in the background when it starts getting dark.

"Ooze will not replace us!"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm picturing an entire team of drug powered characters that really should have been a thing in the 80s or 90s.

I mean that's basically the core Avengers

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Byzantine posted:

I mean that's basically the core Avengers

Wasnt that just Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman? That's not much of a team.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tea is not a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tea is not a drug

Drink better tea