Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

My impression is that it's mostly to play tough guy back at home. Sweden isn't getting invaded because Finland is in the way, EU has a mutual defense clause, and Uncle Sam would immediately jump in regardless. So yeah I don't think they have any leverage here to get any actual concessions but Erdo/Orban can go talk about how they're standing up to "the west".

That made some sense before the elections, but Erdogan won. What's he got to play tough guy for this now? For more $$$$?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

There was no rebellion. Tanks did not roll up to Moscow's gates. Prigozhin really did this to aid Putin in finding traitors in his midst. The Special Military Operation is going very well.

1984 was not supposed to be an instruction manual, but most governments seem to be marching forward with that belief anyhow.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

redshirt posted:

That made some sense before the elections, but Erdogan won. What's he got to play tough guy for this now? For more $$$$?

Nobody’s gonna help him with his Kurd problem unless he extorts them, this is the chip he has to play.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1674395173768376320?t=QECYuG3dVqJD-vM0oQHLow&s=19

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What... what does that mean about poor Comrade Segal?????

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
putin drawing dickbutt on a whiteboard after almost being couped

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Anders posted:

I can’t disagree, but for clarification I meant more the usefulness in large scale war than the manufacture quality. This conflict will give a lot of insights though.

An example from the top of my head are the usefulness of the F-16 compared to JAS Gripen where the former is technically better, but the latter can be deployed anywhere with a 200 meter straight road and serviced by a crew of 6 hiding somewhere in a camping trailer in the forest

I’m not sure in comparisons to French, British and German weapons that US weapons would be so much better except on paper

Do you have a source for 200m? What ive seen says minimum takeoff distance for the gripen is 500m, landing is 600m, and 800m on both for full effectiveness.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mfw Pootin is worse at drawing than I am

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

zone posted:

mfw Pootin is worse at drawing than I am

Putin: "I am the C.L.I.T. Commander!"

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Why can't these motherfuckers ever just stick to being art students!?

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Karma Comedian posted:

Do you have a source for 200m? What ive seen says minimum takeoff distance for the gripen is 500m, landing is 600m, and 800m on both for full effectiveness.

But yeah there's no way it's 200m without assistance.

I'm sure the Gripen would be a bit more suitable for deployment but... Ukraine still has a bunch of air bases with normal runways and Russia can't do poo poo about it. There are thousands of F-16s operated by dozens of countries, tons of NATO personnel is skilled in operating and maintaining them, lots of parts and compatible weapons and equipment. Ideally F-35s would be best but F-16s or F-18s would be the next best option overall IMO.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
MiG-29s are designed for unprepared runways too, that's why they've got those vents on top. They open and the main intakes close on take-off to avoid ingesting gravel.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Just gonna write equations on a display thinking they look smart (they don't)

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karma Comedian posted:

:rolleyes: you drive 200m, make an u-turn, drive back 200, make an u-turn, and then about halfway back you take off. PHYSICS, people.

If you want full effectiveness you activate your almonds and just do three u-turns instead of two.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bakhmut is getting close to encirclement on 3 sides.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lol yea I saw that. Pretty wild

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bakhmut is getting close to encirclement on 3 sides.

Is this a "bit" your doing?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hitchensgoespop posted:

Is this a "bit" your doing?

What the gently caress are you meaning? Ukraine is currently liberating villages in this axis.

How about this instead of calling it a bit or whatever why don't you post the map that you were referencing so I can see what your point of view is.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

But yeah there's no way it's 200m without assistance.

I'm sure the Gripen would be a bit more suitable for deployment but... Ukraine still has a bunch of air bases with normal runways and Russia can't do poo poo about it. There are thousands of F-16s operated by dozens of countries, tons of NATO personnel is skilled in operating and maintaining them, lots of parts and compatible weapons and equipment. Ideally F-35s would be best but F-16s or F-18s would be the next best option overall IMO.

The us is not gonna risk an f-35 being shot down and recovered by russia in case the bits get stripped and sold to china.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

bahkmut is becoming decreasingly isolated.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

What the gently caress are you meaning? Ukraine is currently liberating villages in this axis.

How about this instead of calling it a bit or whatever why don't you post the map that you were referencing so I can see what your point of view is.

Whoah, I'm simply asking whether this is one of the reoccurring jokes in this thread or whether there's a source for this.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is this a bit too?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hitchensgoespop posted:

Whoah, I'm simply asking whether this is one of the reoccurring jokes in this thread or whether there's a source for this.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02iVcxtCjq9Bx648ZcGZfMDkK5dtshqtLYgfLhJtLFZFRHpHfoYe19xU43CrBqzJQWl&id=100069092624537

Yes it's a Facebook like but it is the gen staff of the armed forces Ukraine.

Sorry I shouldn't come off so aggressively.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes it's part of my comedy routine. Nobody's ever gone to a comedy show where the guy has prompters and a spreadsheet with lots of Cyrillic in it

But the punch line is GREAT

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yes it's part of my comedy routine. Nobody's ever gone to a comedy show where the guy has prompters and a spreadsheet with lots of Cyrillic in it

But the punch line is GREAT

By way of an apology, if you ever get this show together, ill make sure I come

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://seymourhersh.substack.com/p/prigozhins-folly

New Seymour article! It's a fun read

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hitchensgoespop posted:

By way of an apology, if you ever get this show together, ill make sure I come

Eww.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

hitchensgoespop posted:

Ukraine has been slowly going around the city for about a week or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRUTval81Zo

This person is around 24 sometimes 48 hours behind when it actually happens on the battlefield so lots could of changed from when said person posted this.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Down the memory hole. Pooty Tang really trying to use that reality stone.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

:nws:

:nws:

e:fb

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Tai posted:

A Fin or Norwegian can correct me here but aren't they all on pretty good terms and likely to join in regardless of NATO because they are all friends? Similar to like Aus/NZ are?
Yes, we also have the Nordic Defense Cooperation (NORDEFCO)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1674370881332686851

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1674379251489939456?t=O3pwKY_fFlJU250Rg9-2mQ&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dismissed from Armed Forces and through a window?

I wanna say :byewhore: but maybe it was better to have him around??

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Dismissed from Armed Forces and through a window?

I wanna say :byewhore: but maybe it was better to have him around??

Don't worry, they're only likely to find a Rokossovsky or Sokolovsky to salvage their farcical invasion if Lady Liberty gets off her pedestal and does a samba on Ellis Island.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
If only the tsar knew what his ministers were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Down the memory hole. Pooty Tang really trying to use that reality stone.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!