Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LloydDobler posted:

Yep, very common on 93+ volvos to have the broken serpentine belt wind around the crank pulley which can thread it into the timing cover and jump the timing belt which trashes the entire motor.

All this timing and serp belt talk reminds me I haven't touched mine since 2013, even though it's only been 40k miles. That's more than the serp belt life and ages out the timing belt too.

Time to look and see if I got them from FCP on the lifetime warranty thing. Dammit, nope. I started buying from them right after that.

So only buy volvos made before 93, like a nice 240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bilirubin posted:

My memory of when I last had it replaced (it might have been in my old Corolla not this Matrix though) the engine configuration was such that it required a not insignificant amount of work. Of course, with all the computerized poo poo now I will not touch my car myself anmore. Have no idea about the Yaris but I can't imagine it is roomier than a Corolla

The yaris is a good reliable car, but drat there's no space inside it for working on anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at a single video, the alternator tensioner is at the very top of the engine, if that bolt isn't stuck should be pretty quick.

But yeah there's just barely enough room to get a socket wrench down the side of the engine, looks like about 1" of clearance. Changing the belt would be a real pain in the dick

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any recommendations for a company doing coast-to-coast open carrier car shipping in the US? DC to Seattle but its crazy trying to pick through all the brokers and direct carriers online.

edit: I don't need a rock bottom price, I'm looking to spend $1500-3000

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I used these guys in... April? I had zero issues going from NC to CA

quote:

A-AAA Auto Transport LLC

Phone: 203-363-0500
Support: 888-821-9645

https://www.autocarmover.net

AFAICT the industry is mostly lawless and you get who you get, just like with moving companies. The good news is it's a single item so you can photo/video document it pretty well and they know it too, vs 200 identical cardboard boxes

There's a tangentially related thread here about buying (and shipping) cars sight unseen: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3996026

Document your rocker panels well, we had some (very) minor scratches when we shipped our car the first time CA to NC

We were quoted (and paid) exactly $2000. Paid $999 to the broker, and venmo(?!)'d the driver $1001 when he arrived

I suspect if you call them and say you have a quote for $1900 they'll quote you $1850

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I used these guys on Kastivich's recommendation when I bought his Cayenne. I think it cost $1300 to get it from NC to Seattle. They just quoted my neighbor $1700 to get his Mazda CX-5 from Seattle to Virginia.

http://www.adkos.com/

I like them because I signed the paperwork, paid the full amount, and they handled everything else. Great communication and no venmoing a driver in the middle of the night.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Do y’all have a preferred car cover? Need something that will be on the majority of the time outdoors. Don’t have garage space for the new Element but the sun, etc. here are brutal AF.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I used these guys on Kastivich's recommendation when I bought his Cayenne. I think it cost $1300 to get it from NC to Seattle. They just quoted my neighbor $1700 to get his Mazda CX-5 from Seattle to Virginia.

http://www.adkos.com/

I like them because I signed the paperwork, paid the full amount, and they handled everything else. Great communication and no venmoing a driver in the middle of the night.

Ryan is a great broker to work with. I highly recommend.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm on a road trip with my 2018 6 speed Subaru Crosstrek. Putting it into first or second gear there's started to be a squeak. Just first and second, bit reverse, or 3-6. Not knowing too much about cars, I assume it's the clutch wearing out. Car has just about 60k miles and clutch hasn't been replaced.

How concerned should I be?
Should I try to get it looked at? I have kind of a tight timetable since a ferry we were going to take is out of service.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Could be a few other things. Does it happen when you are moving the lever in to the gear position or when you are releasing the clutch?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Do y’all have a preferred car cover? Need something that will be on the majority of the time outdoors. Don’t have garage space for the new Element but the sun, etc. here are brutal AF.

I’ve found manufacturers’ covers work best to actually accommodate the shape of the vehicle. I got one for my Fiesta for under $300 directly from Ford.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks for the advice earlier, I really appreciate it!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm on a road trip with my 2018 6 speed Subaru Crosstrek. Putting it into first or second gear there's started to be a squeak. Just first and second, bit reverse, or 3-6. Not knowing too much about cars, I assume it's the clutch wearing out. Car has just about 60k miles and clutch hasn't been replaced.

Should I try to get it looked at? I have kind of a tight timetable since a ferry we were going to take is out of service.

60k is extremely, aberrantly low for a clutch. If it fails there it’s because of a defect or mechanical problem, or because you had one hell of a student learning to drive stick on it, or because somebody’s been routinely using Worst Practices when driving

If you can try to get it looked at on your way, I’d do it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

When the accessory belts get old on my BMW (especially the AC belt), sometimes I hear a squeak when shifting, presumably because the engine is slowing down faster than the accessories and is making the belt chirp. That would be my first guess at that mileage unless the car has been driven in a wildly incompetent manner. Could also be a squeaking pedal and road noise covers it up in higher gears but that’s probably unlikely.

Side note: I can’t recall a dead/dying clutch I’ve been around making a “squeaking” noise.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

On doing some more driving today and paying close attention it appears to be any time the rpm are between between 800-1200, regardless of gear (but only have such low rpm in 1or 2, occasionally 3.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 fluid... I have some older mid-90s Toyotas (1995 MR2, 1997 GT-Four) that I will be doing some maintenance on coming up. Besides the boiling point difference, anyone ever seen / found / heard of compatibility issues from the addition of the borate esters? Has been awhile since my last chemistry course, but that's the only question I have before just getting a big thing of DOT 4 from Costco and using it in all my cars.

Also, I am sad blue isn't available anymore -- would have been nice to go yellow -> blue -> yellow as a very simple visual indicator of when the flush is complete.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I don't know if this goes here, but does a PEUGEOT commercial micro-van share a platform with a car sold in the US?

The other week I saw what I first thought was a Ford Transit, but I did a double take and realized it was a fully badged PEUGEOT that looked completely stock, not a half-rear end rebadging. Obviously, they don't sell new PEUGEOTs in the US, best I can tell the only company active in the US that platform shares with a PEUGEOT van is Toyota, but they don't sell that model in the US and Ram ProMaster is an obvious choice, but this looked much smaller.

This was not some half-rear end job, the front logo and fascia looked completely factory.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Three Olives posted:

I don't know if this goes here, but does a PEUGEOT commercial micro-van share a platform with a car sold in the US?

The other week I saw what I first thought was a Ford Transit, but I did a double take and realized it was a fully badged PEUGEOT that looked completely stock, not a half-rear end rebadging. Obviously, they don't sell new PEUGEOTs in the US, best I can tell the only company active in the US that platform shares with a PEUGEOT van is Toyota, but they don't sell that model in the US and Ram ProMaster is an obvious choice, but this looked much smaller.

This was not some half-rear end job, the front logo and fascia looked completely factory.

Was it a Partner? Did it have Mexican plates? I see Ford Lobos and Peugeot stuff occasionally.

https://www.peugeot.com.mx/gama/peugeot-partner.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Was it a Partner? Did it have Mexican plates? I see Ford Lobos and Peugeot stuff occasionally.

https://www.peugeot.com.mx/gama/peugeot-partner.html

I don't remember the plates, but this was in Estes Park, CO, so I don't know how likely it is that someone would be driving a cheap utility van up from Mexico to hang out, maybe some labor comes up in the summer season to do work?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably less likely in a lot of other states. Colorado is what, five, six hours from the border? That’s not much.

e: a quick google maps tells me 8. I don’t even leave Michigan on an 8 hour drive and stop once for gas and a pee. It’s likely at the very least

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Probably less likely in a lot of other states. Colorado is what, five, six hours from the border? That’s not much.

e: a quick google maps tells me 8. I don’t even leave Michigan on an 8 hour drive and stop once for gas and a pee. It’s likely at the very least

According to Google Maps, it's a 11:30 from the closest Mexico border town on a direct interstate, Ciudad Juarez. Also, Estes Park is a very expensive resort town. It's very possible that they are a skilled tradesman working on some multi-million dollar mansion, but it's not a casual weekend trip from Mexico.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

movax posted:

DOT 3 vs. DOT 4 fluid... I have some older mid-90s Toyotas (1995 MR2, 1997 GT-Four) that I will be doing some maintenance on coming up. Besides the boiling point difference, anyone ever seen / found / heard of compatibility issues from the addition of the borate esters? Has been awhile since my last chemistry course, but that's the only question I have before just getting a big thing of DOT 4 from Costco and using it in all my cars.

Also, I am sad blue isn't available anymore -- would have been nice to go yellow -> blue -> yellow as a very simple visual indicator of when the flush is complete.

I’ve replaced DOT 3 with 4 to no ill effect. Not on lots of vehicles but a few. I’d suggest a thorough flush, and with some clear tubing it should be pretty apparent when the new fluid is coming out of the bleeder.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Three Olives posted:

According to Google Maps, it's a 11:30 from the closest Mexico border town on a direct interstate, Ciudad Juarez. Also, Estes Park is a very expensive resort town. It's very possible that they are a skilled tradesman working on some multi-million dollar mansion, but it's not a casual weekend trip from Mexico.

e: it appears I misread this. The car was seen in Estes Park, yeah? If it is the car you claim, it is still much more likely that someone drove it from Mexico than that someone went through the importation process.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 30, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

decision time: do I go with a higher milage but lower cost 2016 Honda HR-V or a 2021 Crosstrek that is fairly spendy but nearly new?

Also in the mix are a 2017 HR-V and 2019 Crosstrek, the latter of which is likely my sweet spot for this set of choices, assuming I can get the dealers down into KBB optimal prices

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

decision time: do I go with a higher milage but lower cost 2016 Honda HR-V or a 2021 Crosstrek that is fairly spendy but nearly new?

Also in the mix are a 2017 HR-V and 2019 Crosstrek, the latter of which is likely my sweet spot for this set of choices, assuming I can get the dealers down into KBB optimal prices

I don’t love either, tbh. But I prolly like the Crosstrek a bit more?

I find the HR-V horribly space inefficient, but just guessing I’d assume it’s also a bit more reliable? But I have no hard data to back that up

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah these cars are the ones approved by my partner for her mobility issues (see my separate thread on that hunt). Space needs for us (couple no kids) is basically will it fit a folded wheelchair or a bike and just about everything in this bracket can.

In reading it seems the 2016 model year HR-V takes a bit of jump in reported problems (recognizing that, like the H-Index, this sort of metric is a function of age).

The Subarus are a Limited and Touring dress, if that makes much (if any) difference.

Ah well, will drive all 4 and decide whether to engage in negotiations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah these cars are the ones approved by my partner for her mobility issues (see my separate thread on that hunt). Space needs for us (couple no kids) is basically will it fit a folded wheelchair or a bike and just about everything in this bracket can.

In reading it seems the 2016 model year HR-V takes a bit of jump in reported problems (recognizing that, like the H-Index, this sort of metric is a function of age).

The Subarus are a Limited and Touring dress, if that makes much (if any) difference.

Ah well, will drive all 4 and decide whether to engage in negotiations.

Just peeped your thread.

Crazy thought: might something like a Bolt EUV work?

Also- is something a size up (CRV, CX-5, RAV4, etc) workable? They’re not really any higher up than the cars you’re looking at, but you get a lot more usable space, bigger doors/etc, and pretty much no outside size or fuel economy penalty vs HRV/etc. If you’re gonna get a crossover you may as well get a midsize, IMO.

They’re usually not much more expensive on the used market either

Also—tho this might be out of your budget/reliability needs: Volvo. Their XC-height vehicles might be your speed.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions. We currently are renting a Chevy Eclipse and I tested a Forester and the midsized SUVs aren't really an option for us

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Pricey/possibly hard to get, but the Ioniq 5 is basically a giant hatchback

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Get the crosstrek and don't look back.

e: Cornboomer is right. An Outback is also a good choice, but it's noticeably longer than the Crosstrek.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 30, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh I forgot: what about the Outback? Is that too high and big at this point?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Getting a bike inside a crosstrek is tight, just get a hitch receiver and a hitch mount rack (Kuat NV 2.0 will clear the hatch when folded up, and folds down with bikes on it so you can open it regardless of bikes on or not). Might not be compatible with a wheelchair in there though.

I'd look at an outback if it works for getting in/out and you don't mind it being longer (i e, not street parking in a city with tight spaces like SF)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can fit two bikes in my xB pretty easily, tons of room in them with the rear seats down.

You can still get later year (2014, 15) xB's out there with low miles cheap and they are tanks you can't kill them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I recently bought a 97 Toyota Celica convertible. With past cars I just hit up the drive-thru car wash but that's obviously not a good idea with this car, so I need to start hand-washing. Any dumbass mistakes or snake-oil products I should avoid? Also, the paint's definitely degraded in some spots; anything specific I need to do to not do more damage there?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I recently bought a 97 Toyota Celica convertible. With past cars I just hit up the drive-thru car wash but that's obviously not a good idea with this car, so I need to start hand-washing. Any dumbass mistakes or snake-oil products I should avoid? Also, the paint's definitely degraded in some spots; anything specific I need to do to not do more damage there?

Just look up the two bucket system and try not to spend a ton of money on whatever gadgets.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

In the end got the 2016 HR-V. None of the cars drive substantially differently for my driving style and partially due to unwillingness to negotiate on price. I appreciate how much you might have in a car but I'm not paying 4k over bluebook

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

After I got my Bonneville convertible cleaned up & painted, I didn’t want to do the drive-thru either; at first I’d spray it off at a coin-op, but it eventually got too dirty for that. I have a pressure washer so picked up a cheap foam cannon, a big, fluffy brush head that I mounted to a broomstick, and found it does a great low-impact job. Takes a half-hour to an hour to do that boat. My wife’s Kia Soul took like 20-minutes.

Or, if you are not orthopaedically-challenged:

VelociBacon posted:

Just look up the two bucket system and try not to spend a ton of money on whatever gadgets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

What color is it? Genuinely curious if it's white or not.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

What color is it? Genuinely curious if it's white or not.

Red is my guess, feels like they're always red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Here is a stupid question: this HR-V will be my first AWD car. Any particular things I should be keeping in mind or is it "just drive, don't overthink things" since I'm not a (frequent) off road driver?