Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Predictions for season 3:

1. The massive girthy dildo that was stuck on the van door next to Keef’s head is going to come back at some point. Chekhov’s dong.

2. The Kelvin/Keef homoerotic tension supervolcano that has been welling up since the very start is going to erupt this season, in an event possibly involving said dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jody Hill and company make drat good tv.

beefart posted:

2. The Kelvin/Keef homoerotic tension supervolcano that has been welling up since the very start is going to erupt this season, in an event possibly involving said dildo.

Agree. It's been a joke will-they-won't-they for the first two seasons, but this season really seems to be veering in the direction that they actually are.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Jody Hill and company make drat good tv.

Agree. It's been a joke will-they-won't-they for the first two seasons, but this season really seems to be veering in the direction that they actually are.

It’s kind of genius.

As the show has progressed, Kelvin has done more sexually intense actions as a way of rejecting his sexual urges.

Season 1 was the kids purity stuff.

Season 2 was all of the weird half naked wrestling stuff.

This season is literally purchasing 10s of thousands of dollars in sex toys and wearing shirts with a literal semen stain on them.

It does feel like the only thing left is to actually kiss or gently caress Keef. They’ve also been really playing up the Judy affair as the scandal that ruins the church, but I think it’s a red herring to cover for it being Kelvin/Keef.

I could even see some weird pictures being taken with the sex toys and kelvin/keef shirtless that looks like their loving and that’s what does it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah his whole thing as a character is finding these absurd ways to attempt to suppress and sublimate his own sexual feelings

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Could be wrong on a re-watch, but it feels like they're playing up the tension as less of a goof than previous seasons. Like their one-on-one scenes feel like rom drama instead of a lead up for a joke.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Old slow-eyes..

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

in an episode filled with good visual bits, these two idiots carrying giant sticks really fuckin got me

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s kind of genius.

As the show has progressed, Kelvin has done more sexually intense actions as a way of rejecting his sexual urges.

Season 1 was the kids purity stuff.

Season 2 was all of the weird half naked wrestling stuff.

This season is literally purchasing 10s of thousands of dollars in sex toys and wearing shirts with a literal semen stain on them.

It does feel like the only thing left is to actually kiss or gently caress Keef. They’ve also been really playing up the Judy affair as the scandal that ruins the church, but I think it’s a red herring to cover for it being Kelvin/Keef.

I could even see some weird pictures being taken with the sex toys and kelvin/keef shirtless that looks like their loving and that’s what does it.

They seemed so accepting at Cousins night, I guess it's too much to hope they all just go "Yeah gay so what?" and start making money with the slightly cooler-Evangelical lot?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Could be wrong on a re-watch, but it feels like they're playing up the tension as less of a goof than previous seasons. Like their one-on-one scenes feel like rom drama instead of a lead up for a joke.

I'd agree except the way that Keefe talks and acts loving murders me.

"Cousins Night? Verrrrr eee interesting."

He kind of talks like Mike from American Movie.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BooDooBoo posted:

They seemed so accepting at Cousins night, I guess it's too much to hope they all just go "Yeah gay so what?" and start making money with the slightly cooler-Evangelical lot?

Knowing how DGG writes characters, they'll make tons of fun of him while being very accepting. All of DGGs shows seem to follow character arcs of horrible people doing horrible things and reaping consequences from their actions, while also being extremely accepted for who they are. I do expect our main villain of the season, and maybe Baby Billy, to act very hateful though and receive full consequence for those actions.

They've been talking in every EP so far about how they "don't need a big scandal right now", and obviously gay mega-church minister would be a huge scandal from their audience prospective. If this is the route they go I suspect it'll be an extreme point of pride and celebration once we hit the season finale.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Knowing how DGG writes characters,

Who is DGG?

Edit: nvm I found it: David Gordon-Green. I knew about Danny McBride and Jody Hill as writers but for whatever reason that guy’s name didn’t ring a bell like the other two

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Knowing how DGG writes characters, they'll make tons of fun of him while being very accepting. All of DGGs shows seem to follow character arcs of horrible people doing horrible things and reaping consequences from their actions, while also being extremely accepted for who they are. I do expect our main villain of the season, and maybe Baby Billy, to act very hateful though and receive full consequence for those actions.

Throwback to Jesse being kinda ignorant with Gideon's "secret", while still ending it with "Doesn't matter, I love my bi son!" :allears:

timp posted:

Who is DGG?

David Gordon Green, I think he's the producer? Jody Hill (who also plays the long-haired guy at the church...Levi?) writes, I believe.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

While Jody Hill and David Gordon Green are both Executive Producers and direct most of the episodes, neither of them have a writer credit on any of the episodes, so I doubt they are super involved in that part of the show. The primary writers are Danny McBride, John Carcieri and Jeff Bradley, as far as I can tell.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

timp posted:

Who is DGG?

Edit: nvm I found it: David Gordon-Green. I knew about Danny McBride and Jody Hill as writers but for whatever reason that guy’s name didn’t ring a bell like the other two

Yeah my bad, I have a terrible memory and his name is what was stuck in my head.

All 3 of them are behind the rear end in a top hat trilogy of shows (eastbound, vice principles, and gemstones).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ratings for the season so far are in and it is up from last season and is now Danny McBride's most watched show on HBO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Ratings for the season so far are in and it is up from last season and is now Danny McBride's most watched show on HBO.

:nice:

Personally I thought the first two seasons started out stronger but I'm glad that it's doing numbers anyhow.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

praise be to He

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

:nice:

Personally I thought the first two seasons started out stronger but I'm glad that it's doing numbers anyhow.

Agreed. We just started watching Season 1 again between episodes of 3, and it feels like a lot different of a show in some ways with a lot of focus on the Gemstone's mega-wealth. Massive mansions, with Kelvin Gemstone's in-home arcade and such, as well as the amount of money they gain each week from tithing being focused on. I forgot that the amusement park they showed in the premiere of this season was probably their own, on property.

I still love the show, but its interesting to see the difference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

So I assume this means Zaslav is cancelling it because that somehow gets them a bigger tax break.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Yeah I feel like their angle with Eli has shifted from him being a competent hustler to a genuinely good but compromised man

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

That DICK! posted:

Yeah I feel like their angle with Eli has shifted from him being a competent hustler to a genuinely good but compromised man

Think they realized they needed somebody in the family to be the relative straight guy since everyone else is basically bananas outside of like Gideon and Amberish, and just makes him a more interesting character. Eastbound and down had its Aprils and Dustins, vice principals had Ray, and it’s fitting Eli is relatively sane while surrounded by the insane empire of his making

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Eli has always been a good guy at his core, he just had a tendency to get distracted by running the Gemstones business. Now that he's out, there's less to get in the way of his better natures.

Superrodan posted:

Agreed. We just started watching Season 1 again between episodes of 3, and it feels like a lot different of a show in some ways with a lot of focus on the Gemstone's mega-wealth. Massive mansions, with Kelvin Gemstone's in-home arcade and such, as well as the amount of money they gain each week from tithing being focused on. I forgot that the amusement park they showed in the premiere of this season was probably their own, on property.

I still love the show, but its interesting to see the difference.

My wife commented the other day that the thing she's noticing is that there's not the same sense of threat that the first two seasons. The scenes at the militia compound were really tense, but it hasn't really been at the forefront since then. Maybe it will pick up next episode.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Bunkers Bullshit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can't wait for Interlude III.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This part made me bust out laughing.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
Where the fire Queefe gifs at

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The guy playing Karl Montgommery seemed familiar and then I recognized him from some weight lifting show that was on tv and they put like 50 episodes on in a row.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10648730/?ref_=nm_knf_t_3

(it was just 6 episodes but i watched em all!)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm almost caught up on the show (wife was hogging the TV for College World Series), but I was so excited to see they got Robert Oberst into the cast. I got to work with him a lot at the 2019 World's Strongest Man, and he's really hilarious. He definitely shares the same galaxy brain mindset of the Joe Rogans of the world (he's been on the podcast several times), but he's super respectful even if he doesn't agree with you, which I appreciated.

He never won the WSM or Arnold's titles for strongman, but he's probably achieved more success than most of those guys because of how well he promotes himself.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Oh my god, "sausage dip" How did I not catch that at first?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

There's a "he didn't choke on my sausage dip" joke in there somewhere...

"This is why we keep telling you to chew your food!" :allears:

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

He didn't it, it was poultry

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Chronicles posted:

He didn't it, it was poultry

Well yeah, Keefe smelled it to confirm!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

There's a "he didn't choke on my sausage dip" joke in there somewhere...

They did make that joke when the two of em where driving in the car and keif talked about smelling it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Caught up. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I don't know why this episode hit so hard for me, but we need more Baby Billy and the siblings bickering.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One thing I love about Walton Goggins' portrayal of Uncle Baby Billy is the way he uses "now" (more like Naoh or naw). He'll use it at the end of the first sentence, and then won't use it again until a few lines later. Strategic and not overdone.

It's the same deal with Mr Mackie from South Park and his "mmmkay?"; it's never after every line, just maybe one in four, which ends up working better.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Jody Hill (who also plays the long-haired guy at the church...Levi?) writes, I believe.

This whole time I thought Jody Hill was the guy who played Keefe. I had no idea what he looked like.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

This whole time I thought Jody Hill was the guy who played Keefe. I had no idea what he looked like.

Nah, Keefe is a fella named Tony Cavalero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Cavalero#Filmography

Looks like he was on Adam Devine's show (not Workaholics, his solo one) in 2013...maybe Keefe and Kelvin are friends in real life. :allears:

Jody Hill was in Superbad, but I barely remember that movie so I'm not sure which character...I wasn't a fan. I love him in Gemstones, though. I'm surprised he didn't play a character in Vice Principals, despite working on it.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 30, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

His one scene in Eastbound was a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBSklMxUKHY

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jody Hill was in Superbad, but I barely remember that movie so I'm not sure which character...I wasn't a fan.

He has a couple lines at a party they pass through. He’s hanging on a couch with Ben Best (played Clegg in Eastbound & Down, co-created the show). Best is the one who notices blood on Jonah Hill’s pants.

E:

https://youtu.be/YTQAMD3R4Ow

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

God I love that show so loving much.