Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That seems like it doesn't really resolve anything, unless there's some precedent that defines "substantial cost".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haveblue posted:

I guess that means the admitter is allowed to think about race but no one is allowed to create a written policy codifying guidelines for consideration of race

I'm sure this will not be a problem because at no point in American history did relying on a bunch of unwritten rules plus the personal judgement of the evaluator ever lead to widespread racial discrimination

Well, you could codify guidelines on the consideration of race. It's just that the guideline would have to be "you may not consider race, neither positively nor negatively, when evaluating a candidate for the position"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

In private institutions, no less. Not even a private entity has the right to try to directly address issues of racial bias...?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

surprising nobody they’ve ruled against race based admissions - opinion does include some language that still allows consideration of race, so I’m not sure where this leaves colleges. I work in this space and the big fear is that colleges won’t even be allowed to track race and ethnicity, and this is clearly short of that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1674423966830850049?s=20

come the gently caress on

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The proper response* to rulings like this would be for states and universities to collectively tell the SCOTUS to eat poo poo and die, then proceed to ignore the ruling, but lmao at the idea of any politicians, especially Democrats, having that kind of backbone.

* Because Congress can't/won't act to remedy this even if the Dems retake the House while keeping the WH/Senate, just as they never did anything about the Shelby County ruling and the SCOTUS knew they wouldn't/couldn't do so.

Lmao. Not even trying to hide what they're doing. Please look forward to the upcoming ruling that religious institutions/companies/schools/etc are also allowed to discriminate based on race. Because if there isn't a lawsuit over it right now there's going to be one as soon as ALEC can put it together, likely in their favorite little Texas puppet court.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jackson's dissent is really good but we know how far really good dissents get us.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So basically in Goff they said "You, Mr. Company, need to show how it's really critical for Mr. Religious be onsite on Sundays. Normal scheduling doesn't cut it, if he can be replaced then he should. However, if he's the only guy who can do X and you need him onsite that day then that's ok."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I guess that means the admitter is allowed to think about race but no one is allowed to create a written policy codifying guidelines for consideration of race

I'm sure this will not be a problem because at no point in American history did relying on a bunch of unwritten rules plus the personal judgement of the evaluator ever lead to widespread racial discrimination

Here is the exact phrasing in the decision:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Don’t know why they spent any words on the “these programs were supposed to be time limited” bit given they clearly thought no AA program was legal.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I haven’t looked since the app madness but the Reddit front page is probably a goddam parade.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

smackfu posted:

Don’t know why they spent any words on the “these programs were supposed to be time limited” bit given they clearly thought no AA program was legal.

Well it’s okay as long as they’re promising to fight in defense of the racist system that is also making it harder for them to get educated. AA is okay for military academies, the court made sure to make that clear

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1674426191162515463
Not sure how sound this take is but I suspect schools are going to try a way around this in some fashion or other.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That supports what I was getting at earlier- in practical terms, race will still be a factor in admissions, but there will be no way to document or verify that

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I imagine you could support admission based on a lot of other proxies like income, "cultural diversity", or so on. Things that don't have constitutional or statutory prohibitions against discrimination.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SimonChris posted:

Just fyi, that’s the syllabus, which is not part of the decision. It often mirrors the language from the decision, but it is not itself part.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I imagine you could support admission based on a lot of other proxies like income, "cultural diversity", or so on. Things that don't have constitutional or statutory prohibitions against discrimination.

Factoring in income levels and residential location of students would do pretty much the same thing factoring in race or lived experiences does now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Factoring in income levels and residential location of students would do pretty much the same thing factoring in race or lived experiences does now.

its a lot easier for rich families to move their kids legal address to a "poor" area and claim they are independent with 0 income than it is to change their skin color

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, my quick thoughts here are that (1) the decision actually still leaves a surprising amount of room for race-based admissions given its overall argument, (2) schools can pretty easily find proxies for race, and some of those (like location and class) may do a better job of helping disadvantaged people than race alone does, and (3) the opinion is totally correct to point out the nonsense in current diversity regimes where e.g. all Asians are in the same category and everyone from the Middle East and northern Africa is just generically white.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

SimonChris posted:

That’s actually the syllabus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tatsuta Age posted:

its a lot easier for rich families to move their kids legal address to a "poor" area and claim they are independent with 0 income than it is to change their skin color

To verify the claims of any silver spoon kid who claims to have grown up poor they will be required to eat an entire can of SPAM in front of the person interviewing them.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the open question right now is how this changes the ability of schools to award financial aid based on race and ethnicity

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Nitrousoxide posted:

Which is likely to be challenged next term when SCOTUS takes up Coalition for TJ v. Fairfax County School Board. That is an unusual case because it's a public high school, it has unusual demographics (2/3 Asian), it is largely upper-middle-class white kids who are being given the advantage, and it is very blatant what the school is trying to do. Like the anti-affirmative action people couldn't have found a better case if they tried. My hope is that whatever ruling comes down will be narrow in scope (i.e. just affecting K-12) but with this court who knows.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

they won’t get rid of using income to make admissions decisions because need based admission is the backbone of all private universities in this country and is how they keep poor people out

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Interesting thread related to the above

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1674437450851049472

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

this is the opinion from the profession right now - although again the financial aid question is very important

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I will also add that the largest affirmative action program happening right now is test optional admissions which has solely helped rich white students

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Upgrade posted:

the open question right now is how this changes the ability of schools to award financial aid based on race and ethnicity

A lot of race/ethnicity based aid doesn't come directly from the institutions - it comes from endowments and foundations and the school administers those funds but does not set the parameters for their dispersal.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Evil Fluffy posted:

To verify the claims of any silver spoon kid who claims to have grown up poor they will be required to eat an entire can of SPAM in front of the person interviewing them.

So like, what actually is the deal with SPAM? SPAM is bad. It is low quality meat that tastes terrible in comparison even to inexpensive fresh meat (I know of what I speak, i grew up eating plenty of USDA select and never had prime anything outside of a restaurant until I was an adult). But some people claim to love it and is widely consumed by people who can definitely afford something better. Does it grow on you?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Upgrade posted:

I will also add that the largest affirmative action program happening right now is test optional admissions which has solely helped rich white students

Questionnaires, essays, interviews and related admissions bullshit were added in the first place to try and keep Jews out of the Ivy Leagues :jewish:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Fighting Trousers posted:

A lot of race/ethnicity based aid doesn't come directly from the institutions - it comes from endowments and foundations and the school administers those funds but does not set the parameters for their dispersal.

At private universities this isn’t the case - schools will differentially discount to shape a class for diversity.

Also very little financial aid is tied to an endowment in the way you imagine - most financial aid isn’t real money, it’s agreeing to charge less.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1674439164517834752

I had that initial reaction also, but it occurred to me that Harvard surely has a surfeit of applicants from every imaginable ethnic classification who know how to tune a statement to hit tacitly implied requirements, which would place the admissions department in the uncomfortable position of critically assessing Asian-American versus Nigerian-American claims to formative life experience regarding diversity. Do schools really want to pitch their tents on that hill?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

So like, what actually is the deal with SPAM? SPAM is bad. It is low quality meat that tastes terrible in comparison even to inexpensive fresh meat (I know of what I speak, i grew up eating plenty of USDA select and never had prime anything outside of a restaurant until I was an adult). But some people claim to love it and is widely consumed by people who can definitely afford something better. Does it grow on you?

I guess. Some people just like weird/bad things but in general SPAM is just awful. There's even generic SPAM alternatives like Treat. Which smells even worse but makes for really good catfish bait due to how strong and pungent the smell is.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/AshaRangappa_/status/1674439164517834752

I had that initial reaction also, but it occurred to me that Harvard surely has a surfeit of applicants from every imaginable ethnic classification who know how to tune a statement to hit tacitly implied requirements, which would place the admissions department in the uncomfortable position of critically assessing Asian-American versus Nigerian-American claims to formative life experience regarding diversity. Do schools really want to pitch their tents on that hill?

how do you think schools are evaluating these questions already?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ogmius815 posted:

It has a much longer shelf life than fresh meat.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

in some cultures SPAM is more regularly consumed so people like it, yes. It’s very salty pork.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Spam is basically shelf stable hotdog meat. Its fine but I wouldn't want to eat it every day or anything

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Upgrade posted:

how do you think schools are evaluating these questions already?

If the decision's description of the Harvard process is anything to go by, they weight by ethnic identification after the initial pass. But the decision's mandate to weigh individual experiences only would rule this out.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

tk posted:

It has a much longer shelf life than fresh meat.

it also has a very specific cultural niche, being popular in many places where the US military was heavily present during and after WWII (Hawaii, Guam, Okinawa, South Korea, the Philippines)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mdemone posted:

In private institutions, no less. Not even a private entity has the right to try to directly address issues of racial bias...?

Is it based on private colleges receiving federal funds? Or Title VI?

I’ve only read the headlines, not the opinion, so wondering if anyone knows how they’re applying this to private actors.