Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You guys have finally sold watching Mandalorian to me. How many eps do I have to watch to see that poo poo?

E: fractal religious infighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Mandalorian should be appreciated for giving us a Werner Herzog action figure.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I think I need to see Werner Herzog do an unboxing video for that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shageletic posted:

You guys have finally sold watching Mandalorian to me. How many eps do I have to watch to see that poo poo?

E: fractal religious infighting

The factionalism mostly comes into play in the second season but there are hints of it in the first season as well with Din's strained relationship with the rest of his clan.

24 episodes across three seasons, so you'll get your first taste of their touchy "no true scotsman" arguments around episode 3 of season 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is I get the vibe Din feels a bit of kinship with Boba and other people who embody Mandalorian virtues but don't particularly lay claim to it. People genuinely relating to and trying to understand other cultures, even ones they're dismissive of at first, is a fun theme that the show play with a lot. He's genuinely trying to figure out what is the right thing to do, and that is by far the hardest task he faces.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Arc Hammer posted:

I know that Miguel is horribly misguided by blaming everything on Miles but I'm wondering how exactly he can blame miles for stealing another Spiderman's spider bite when the Earth 42 spider was brought over in Kingpin's first super collider test before Miles was even aware of it and everyone thought it was just an earthquake. Events were already set in motion by a villain breaking the fabric of the multiverse but Miguel doesn't seem to want to blame Kingpin or Octavius for starting it all.

It's not that complicated? He explicitly states that the reason Anomalies keep happening is because Miles got bit by an anomalous spider that was not meant to bite him. All of the spiderverse being formed to begin with and Miguel's inability to sleep is because he's constantly going on missions to stop things like vulture, which are ultimately caused by Miles.

Yeah it's not Miles fault that it happened in the first place. But the Kingpin isn't the one currently opening holes in realities, which is what Miguel is actually pissed about. But his continued existence is, apparently, a constant hole in reality causing more tears to open. Tears that like to warp and destroy what they enter. See how Vulture doesn't just glitch, he glitches what's around him. He turns things into Renaissance era work just by existing in it.

Miguel wouldn't care if earth 42 Miles got bit by the Earth 42 spider instead of some Earth 42 Peter Parker. Because that, presumably, would not come paired to being an anomaly ripping open holes accidentally just by existing. He cares that it's the Wrong Miles.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Crossposted from another thread.

Sharkopath posted:

https://twitter.com/Powerkeni/status/1674853550567088128?s=20

Incredibly cool spiderverse test animation that hints a bit at developments in the sequel. Shame it didn't make it to the film. Probably oughta spoil but seriously its cool and set to a great mos def song.

Spiderverse ending stuff below:
At least in this character exploration back when the film was just one film, alternate Miles was absolutely a rebel fighter against the sinister six along with his uncle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it looks like we’re going to be getting some delays:
https://comicbookmovie.com/spider_m...have-to-a204131

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I saw it again today and got a slightly different version of the movie even though it was the same theater. Weird.

The Stacys reconciling is more visually stunning than 30 Spider-Men dangling off a rocket train to the moon. I hope Gwen gets to break canon in the next movie by rescuing a different Gwen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole 'canon event' thing also literally happened in No Way Home where a dimensionally displaced Spider-man prevents an obvious replay of his Gwen Stacy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like that some universes are canonically animated and others are live action.

Speaking of animated where the hell was the Neil Patrick Harris Spiderman?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm not even joking that my showing of this has shut off 3 times. Including the most climactic parts of the film.

Like drat it's a good movie but this is ridiculous.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I saw this today. This movie was made for the cinema. Fantastic execution.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Hollismason posted:

I'm not even joking that my showing of this has shut off 3 times. Including the most climactic parts of the film.

Like drat it's a good movie but this is ridiculous.

That's your Canon Event

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Watched it yesterday, visually it is just off the charts. However, there was so much camera movement and panning around, I felt overwhelmed and a little dizzy a few times. Not sure if anyone else had that effect, I haven't felt like that in a movie before.

I wish I had rewatched the first one before watching this. I forgot how long ago the first one came out, I really didn't remember much and has to read a lot of this thread to fill in the details.

I felt a little cheated at the end, I didn't know it was going to be a two part movie. It was such a powerful ride of a movie, I am not looking forward to the wait for the next film.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/mukumuks/status/1675140714374762496?t=UNBbnkw8jz9by0Vu9pUrMQ&s=19

This is genius.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 3, 2023

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'll take your word for it

edit: that rules

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 3, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kazzah posted:

I'll take your word for it

Dammit are embeds broken?

It turns out the riff for Gwen’s theme is a rearrangement of the ‘67 theme.

Edit: I fixed it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The artbook for Across the Spider-Verse (which releases today, July 3rd) has a spoiler for Earth 42's Miles.

https://gamerant.com/spiderman-across-the-spiderverse-miles-morales-prowler-details/

It looks like he's a vigilante after all...but if he's a vigilante like say Punisher or Spider-Man remains to be seen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That reminds me, I think when Miles goes to Earth 42, there's a part where for a second there's something about vigilantes on a tv news program in the background and I was wondering if it was referring to the Prowler. Did anyone make out what it was saying?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GalanArtworks/status/1675370123404935169?t=XgfO3aZm78laqnr2ZS81pg&s=19

drat I wanna play as Hobie with this mod.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From that leaked footage it's basically Prowler and Miles as vigilante antihero Batman and Robin before Miles took up the mantle proper.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Glad some one more musical than me confirmed it because I just sort of assumed it when watching the film but wasnt sure

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah the score was absolutely amazing, feels like so many subtle aspects layered in that get stuck in your head and also amplify the emotional notes of the whole movie. Caught a matinee over the weekend, still somewhat astounded that this lived up to the hype AND had a ton of surprises even thought it seemed like the marketing gave away a lot. Feel like I need to see it a couple more times to really pick up on everything.

Regarding the sequel - seems pretty clear that Miles's spider-powers being derived from a bite from an interdimensional spider is going to factor pretty heavily into how Spot gets defeated. Some kind of powered up venom strike while glitching, or just getting closed enough to Spot to drain him/cut off his connection to the multiverse. Of course that is so straightforward that they might avoid it just because, but there was so much foreshadowing can't imagine it doesn't factor in to the big win/conclusion somehow.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I picked up on Gwen's theme song immediately I was like that's Spider Man!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone else get Madonna, Hung Up from that?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone else get Madonna, Hung Up from that?

Lol I actually thought it sounded like the riff from Gimme Gimme Gimme, so you’re not alone.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol I actually thought it sounded like the riff from Gimme Gimme Gimme, so you’re not alone.

It's the same riff, Madonna sampled it and all.

Gwen's theme hits hard.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 4, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well holy poo poo that was good. Saw it at 1PM on a Monday and the theater was pretty crowded so that's probably a good sign.

Unfortunately I think I was the only one there who knew it was a Part 1 since the reactions to the "To Be Continued" were very negative.

One thing that'll be interesting to see resolved is that Aaron was already Prowler in our Miles universe when the spider bit him. Now, all the universes are different anyway so it's not necessarily true that he was already the Prowler in 42, but if 42 Miles is the Prowler and they're anti-heroes now that could mean that 42 Miles managed to talk Aaron out of that life. Which our Miles didn't try to do, leading to Aaron's eventual death.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Well holy poo poo that was good. Saw it at 1PM on a Monday and the theater was pretty crowded so that's probably a good sign.

Unfortunately I think I was the only one there who knew it was a Part 1 since the reactions to the "To Be Continued" were very negative.

One thing that'll be interesting to see resolved is that Aaron was already Prowler in our Miles universe when the spider bit him. Now, all the universes are different anyway so it's not necessarily true that he was already the Prowler in 42, but if 42 Miles is the Prowler and they're anti-heroes now that could mean that 42 Miles managed to talk Aaron out of that life. Which our Miles didn't try to do, leading to Aaron's eventual death.

Seems like Miles and Arron are a team, something happened that had Aaron give him the mantle of The Prowler. Probably has to do with Miles42's dad. I'm thinking it has to do with King Pin that turns both them to be Dark Knight style heroes.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

there was an animatic posted a bit ago that took place at some point in the past, showing miles basically apprenticed to Aaron as the Prowler. I'd guess miles dad dying was the catalyst to Aaron turning against the kingpin

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/kumar_sutra/status/1675988624922247171?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

its Mister Kitty time!! :woop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

WOW seriously wrong thread

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What, that's not the cat Spider-Man out of costume?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh my God, you doxxed Spider-Cat!

I wonder if "boring Rhino" is from his universe.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CuPbrwdvcEG/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The official Spider-verse social media informed me of the existence of this creepy guy in the movie.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The movie was good, but for different reasons than the last one. It's kind of rethreading the moral of the first movie, in that it's a rebuke against people who get hung up on canon and who/what Spiderman has to be, but also making clear that when you start messing with character motivation you mess with the story structure and risk ruining runs.

However, there's some issues. I wasn't aware what the ending was going to be like, and wondered why things weren't wrapping up. Story felt a bit padded for time and yet felt like it didn't have a proper climax except for Gwen's story. Similarly while a lot of the characters have something interesting about them a lot of the extra Spiderpeeps were either lacking screentime or just felt superfluous, probably because of the structure of the film.

Also the visuals just got TOO busy and oftentimes I didn't know what was going on because they went somewhere new we hadn't explained or shown yet.

Still, one of the newcomers was great, despite me not knowing what he was saying half the time. You can guess who.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Insanely good, I want to rewatch the first one now but I'll probably do a mini marathon when it's closer to the release date of the third. I love that these movies couldn't exist without, and are a direct response to, the over-saturation of Spider-Man media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

WOW seriously wrong thread

No such thing as a wrong thread to post cats in