Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

i am a moron posted:

This is why whenever I go to NYC I simply poo poo in the street like everyone else

You moron, San Francisco is where everyone shits in the street, not New York!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Batterypowered7 posted:

You moron, San Francisco is where everyone shits in the street, not New York!

gently caress I’ve been making GBS threads in the wrong streets this whole time

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

p sure public restroom just means accessible to the public most places, not Single Payer poo poo Houses

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, sorry I came off aggressively. Public restrooms are just such an issue in the city and private businesses can be very selective as to who they let use them. For instance, you won't see unhoused people being allowed to use one if they even let them inside in the first place.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

AITA for objecting and causing a scene at my best friend’s wedding?

Let's not sleep on this because it is hilariously insane, I love that she somehow can't mention she hosed the guy at any point leading up to the wedding, no, in the middle of the ceremony was the only possible option.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Even if there are restaraunts willing to let you kramer in and use their facilities it looks like OP possesses enough of a sense of shame to feel bad about doing that, and also just like, traveling and eating new foods are sure to also send her digestive tract for a loop

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Clocks posted:

This is just a very long post by a narcissist, which basically boils down to "ugh, you actually expect me to bother telling you when I'll grace you with my presence?"

AITA for not RSVPing to my sister's wedding?

AITA for refusing to RSVP to my sister’s wedding because I’m required to write an “application essay” just to attend?

quote:

Yeah I know this sounds insane but I’m living in it.

So my sister is getting married next February, destination wedding no less. I have doubts whether this wedding is actually going to happen with the pandemic and everything but she is totally set on moving forward.

Anyways because of the pandemic, her original venue has made her cut down on guests because they’re cutting capacity by half. As a result she’s sending out “re-invites” that asks everyone to RSVP again. But in order to figure out who to invite and who to cut, she’s asking all confirmed guests to submit two 250-word “essays” to two questions. The gist is that they’ll use these essays to choose who can come or not, based on people’s enthusiasm. People who don’t write the essays at all will be automatically disqualified.

I just feel really insulted by all of this. The questions aren’t even pandemic-related, its broad topics like ”why do you still want to celebrate this day with us?” And “what will attending our wedding mean to you specifically?” So she’s blatantly looking for people to kiss rear end and tell her why they REALLY want to go.

Anyways I told her in advance I’m not writing 500 words on why I NEED to attend her wedding, spend my own money on plane tickets/hotels, and buy her a present. This has really rubbed her and my parents the wrong way. She’s said that to keep things fair if I don’t fill out the RSVP correctly I won’t be saved a spot. I said fine with me. Then my parents said if I don’t show up I’m going to be in big loving trouble with all our relatives so just write the essays.

AITA if I stay stubborn on this? I’m already annoyed at the thought of spending thousands and coming home to quarantine. But I will not belt out 500 words on how this is totally my choice. AITA?

Edit: I’m 27F. I don’t live with family but she is my only sister.

Edit2: Sister has framed these essays as “surveys” but there’s a word limit requirement so if you don’t reach it on the google forms you can’t even submit. Parents think this is perfectly reasonable, nice even, because sister is letting everyone have the chance to attend.

Top response has just shy of 58k upvotes

quote:

NTA. I would definitely send in two essays. The first would say “Mom/Dad said I have to come or I’m in BIG trouble” over and over again until you hit 250. The second, “I’m your sibling.”

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Let's not sleep on this because it is hilariously insane, I love that she somehow can't mention she hosed the guy at any point leading up to the wedding, no, in the middle of the ceremony was the only possible option.

I have massive doubts about the veracity of that post. There are very few situations in which a cheater is NTA and they basically would've involved OP not knowing that the person she was seeing was in any kind of relationship. But sure, if we take it at face value, the moment she hosed her friend's fiancé (or even entertained the flirting, which imo is still emotional cheating) then she was dealing with an ex-friend. So yeah, anytime before the wedding would've been more appropriate by that point.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Hughlander posted:

Hot drat.

My guesses from the title were "I objected as a joke because I'm such a hilarious prankster" or "I confessed my love to one of the bridal party", but "Maid of honor sleeping with the groom" is a step beyond that.

She did (hopefully) prevent her former friend from making a horrible mistake and (hopefully) removed two giant bags of poo poo from the bride's life, so I feel that should be in OP's favor here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They're all private businesses and they can certainly tell you "no" if you ask to use their restroom. Which is the opposite of a public restroom.

For all I know, you’d tell me “no” if I asked to use any restroom.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Who needs bathrooms? God gave us the neighbor's shed for a reason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pirate Radar posted:

For all I know, you’d tell me “no” if I asked to use any restroom.

Of course I'll let you use my restroom, we went to different schools together.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

so instead of people guessing my ethnicity they just assume I’m some flavor of white supremacist (I am leftist as hell) and regularly drop some of the most antisemitic or racist poo poo around me,
White guy living in Indiana, I've found it necessary to drop a clear antiracist stance early in any personal or especially professional relationship. Before I did that I consistently needed to work with people that outed themselves as racist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Johnny Truant posted:

you know, this makes me wonder if those photos are actually considered PHI or not?

Coca Koala posted:

The definition of PHI we use at work (not healthcare, but somewhat adjacent) is a medical record or designated record set that can be used to identify an individual and is created, used, or disclosed when providing a healthcare service.

Yeah, full face pics are specifically named in HIPAA 45 CFR 164.514(b)(2)(i)(Q)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Remulak posted:

White guy living in Indiana, I've found it necessary to drop a clear antiracist stance early in any personal or especially professional relationship. Before I did that I consistently needed to work with people that outed themselves as racist.

I never had to do this until I moved to Asia, but something about being fellow white foreigners even in places where there are a lot of white foreigners makes people want to spontaneously share with me their dogshit stupid opinions about women and nonwhite people

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
To this day I’ve never been to a wedding that included the objections part

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah I’ve been to a lot of weddings recently and that’s a made up Hollywood thing I’m p sure

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The business could technically say no, but they generally don't if they don't size you up as homeless in their estimation (which is its own hosed up issue), and they certainly say it less than businesses in suburbia, where they will have people whose entire job is to make sure no one who isn't a patron gets into the toilet.

I wonder if this is one of those super regional things because I've lived in small cities or suburbs for my entire adult life and never encountered a bathroom cop employee or been turned away when asking to use a restaurant or coffee shop toilet.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Hughlander posted:

Bear in mind this is her best friend. I'd hate to see how she treats her enemies or casual acquaintances.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Awesome replies to posts:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for having a drink on the way to a funeral?

quote:

YTA for being chugging a beer instead of having the class to buy a mixed drink. Were you born in a barn? Beer is for parties, liquor is for funerals.

And did you even offer your wife or anyone else a drink?
(36m), (33f) He thinks he isn't "obligated" to tell me about his criminal record

quote:

P1: Yeah I mean once you bang a dead person on Thursday you don’t just go get some normal banging Saturday.

P2: Well obviously not. Who wants to drink a lukewarm beer after cracking open a cold one?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

This reminds me of when I was driving the other day and had the right of way, and there was a drivr stopped at a yield sign in front of me. Anyway, I see him hesitate, hesitate again and then stop until I'm practically right next to him and he pops right out in front of me, but he couldn't complete the turn so his side was totally exposed. So I slam on the horn and brakes, just inches away from absolutely T boning the gently caress out of his drivers side.

It's like his brain was saying can't go, too risky.... can't go, too risky, oh gently caress this is my last chance! Gahhh!!! *closes eyes, mashes the gas pedal and hopes for the best*

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

drat, down to the line and everything, kudos

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

I went to one recently and the friend/officiant doing the priest/host role briefly jokingly mentioned it in their mercifully short, sweet, and funny marriage ceremony. I literally had no time to be bored or even like I was attending an archaic ritual. Must've been less than half an hour between arriving, saying hi, sitting, and ceremony before we got to go to reception hall for drinks and food. If all weddings were like that, they wouldn't be events to dread.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Ah, now here is an update (bolding in original)

AITA for not wanting my girlfriend to repay her school loans to her parents?

quote:

**UPDATE

I'm done getting lynched.**

Most of those who commented did not read my post, did not get my point, downvoted my explainations and know gently caress ALL about me, my girfriend and our realtionship. Obviously the downvoting of my clarifications reflects the need to light up my strawman, I don't see any reason. I think I have been polite and discoursive, and I have only gottens insults back. Probably shouldn't have asked teenagers how to handle adult life. I initially kept it out of the scope of this post, but I did help her these last times, financially. I do not hold it against her and I do not want her to pay me back. I want her to have a successfull life, even if eventually we might not end up forever togheder. I don't want her to cut ties with her family, and I would hate for it to happen. That's why I suggested talking and explaining. I have been accusing of wanting to CONTROL her money. Apart from the ridiculousness of the fact that I am barely trying to control MY money, I have been getting groceries for her out of my 500 euros salary.
OP: Hey Reddit, am I an rear end in a top hat?
Reddit, with one voice: YES! You are a total rear end in a top hat, for reasons X Y and Z!
OP: gently caress you, Reddit! None of you actually read my post or understood any of my points! This is a mob lynching of a strawman!!1!

Yeah, the only reason one hundred people called you an rear end in a top hat was because they all independently decided to not read anything you wrote and just wanted to join a lynch mob and it is actually you who are the only sane man and 100% right about everything. That's the only possible explanation.

Here's the full OP and update:

quote:

So my GF and I are planning to move togheder after three years of relationship, and money came up as a point of discussion. We are both fine with splitting up expenses in a 50/50 manner. We live in the EU. She is in university, I am soon to be working as a decently (but not grealty) paid government employee.

The problem is that my GF, years ago, chose to move to a big city and study at a private university instead of a public one. Her parents, likely being overconfident in their economical possibilities, decided to pay for my GF's studies but at the condition of being paid back as soon as she gets working, seeing that she could have chosen a public (and cheap) uni instead. She has to repay about 50K euros, in a country with a median net salary of 20K.

My GF's degree is not really "marketable" and such a debt would cripple her (ours) start in life hurting us much more than it would hurt their parents not to get the money back. As an addition, my opinion is that parents should facilitate their kids life, and they should not expect children to be economically neutral or positive to them.

My GF assured me that she would pay her parents back from her own salary. But really, that would be money coming out of our already thin paychecks and I would end up needing to compensate for her initially low, and then even lower salary after the loan payments. I told her that I do not care for her parents and I feel morally fine cutting ties with them. I told her that we, as a couple, need to make us two a priority and that I do not want to be collateral damage of her and her family irresponsible decisions. I am not suggesting to flip off her parents, but politely explain to them that we have a serious need of money and they don't.

She proceeded to get mad, reassuring me that we would not feel any monetary damage (which is literally untrue) and that eventually we will be fine.

UPDATE

[Snipped out stuff that I quoted above]

I will leave this here, which I believe summarizes the situation well:

NAH - If she needs to pay 50K euros on a salary of 20K, she will not be in a position to contribute to a house or to have the time/money for children. Even if she's paying it out of her salary, that means her next 5-10 years are going to be affected by this debt. By extension, anyone who partners with her will be affected. I can't fault her for living up to the agreement with her parents. She also has been making a point of splitting costs 50/50. She acted entirely ethically. The problem is, if you're in a relationship, her debt is going to affect the life you can have together.

I won't blame my girlfriend: I adivsed her against it but ultimately she made a choice as a 20yo something inexperienced girl, but her parents should have known better. Ultimately, I don't want to be the one paying 90% of the rent, utilities and food because we need to repay a useless debt. I wish to establish a thorough and well tought plan to make a family of us. Morally, its wrong to fleece her parents but its wronger to cripple us two for a decade. That makes me TA, but it makes a A that has a point. A valid one.

Also, the US are a hosed up place and honestly you should ponder how my situation, the worst kind of loan situation where I live is regarded as "nothing bad, its just debt" where you live.
He found the one reply that kind of agreed with him, and jumped on it as full vindication, naturally.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

in the UK they changed it some years back now to "if anyone knows of any lawful impediment why these two people should not be married please speak up"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Morally, I'm fine with you cutting contact with your parents because I'm tired of buying groceries for us.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Remulak posted:

God, also as a white guy living in Indiana, I've had to do this way too many times.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

dervinosdoom posted:

God, also as a white guy living in Indiana, I've had to do this way too many times.

I think every basic looking white guy in the midwest or south has to do this. It's shocking the poo poo that gets said to you if you wear a plain t-shirt, work boots, and some kind of Oakley ish looking sunglasses.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Isn't the "does anybody object" thing in weddings largely a made up thing for TV and movies and no officiant actually says that?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, i'm pretty sure real weddings don't have a part where they go "okay if anyone would like to drop a bomb on the wedding, here's your chance"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Yeah I’ve been to a lot of weddings recently and that’s a made up Hollywood thing I’m p sure

It's not made up and still required to be included in Church of England services, but legally you have to announce your intention to marry for at least three Sundays before the wedding in order to give people change to object, so if you get through those you'll be issued a certificate to marry and the legal stuff is basically done.

There are actually strict legal definitions as to why you can object: namely incest, existing marriages, or either partner being underage. If an audience member objects on any other basis the priest is allowed to ignore them and carry on with the service. It's not something that comes up much.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

Amazing. If he doesn't want to support his gf and her low salary then... break up? Don't be with her? I think dumping your gf because she's poor is pretty lovely, but monetary reasons are as good as any other to break up, especially if it's something he'd be holding over her head because he dares to buy her groceries. Instead he suggests going NC with her parents because they dared pay her through uni and she agreed to pay them back. God forbid she has a good relationship with them.

quote:

I told her that we, as a couple, need to make us two a priority and that I do not want to be collateral damage of her and her family irresponsible decisions.
The irresponsible decisions of *checks notes* sending their kid to college.

kdrudy posted:

Isn't the "does anybody object" thing in weddings largely a made up thing for TV and movies and no officiant actually says that?

I mean, the entire post just reads like some fanfic. Like "yeah and then actually we were super in love, and we totally hosed, and on their wedding i laid down a total :iceburn: and anyways am I the rear end in a top hat here?" To be fair the world is full of people who will gently caress their best friend's fiancé and possibly blow up weddings over it, so I'm willing to entertain the possibility, but like... if you're gonna be one of the scummiest people ever, don't go around trying to get absolution for it. Just own it. It's like the guy above who's being a total rear end in a top hat but wants the vindication/support of internet strangers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm in a similar boat as OP - tannish, black hair but kept short so you can't see the curls, vague last name, middle eastern, no religious signifiers (raised christian but atheist now), born here so I have a Canadian accent - and my favourite game is Guess What Ethnicity I Am. I've gotten Mexican, Portuguese, Persian, Greek, Pakistani, Marseille French (??) and loads of others I can't remember now.

I've had people start speaking Arabic to me which would be pretty close but I never learned it. It's funny when they ask "how do you know I was asking if you know Arabic when you don't speak it???" It's because it's happened so many times I can recognize the word for Arabic in Arabic.

Though not enough to the point where people are asking me to organize ethnic celebrations for them, they usually ask.

Putting up a single flag is probably a bad idea, putting up all the flags of all the places people think she's from is probably also a bad idea but it'd be funny. Maybe get a map of the world and start putting pins in all the countries that people think you're from.

And in case you were wondering: I'm Iraqi Assyrian

I get it too, though not the same race. Apparently my accent is ambiguous enough that I get “American twang” to Australian” to “just kind of international you know?”.

And it would be one thing if it was just my voice code switching, but apparently my looks get me anything from Nepalese to Samoan to just East Asian (and seemingly more commonly Japanese). Even from people in my home country.

Honestly I might start checking countries off a map.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

She's pretty awful and a liar (she "thought he was just being friendly" ? She "didn't know what netflix and chill means"? Bullshit.) , but this marriage was never going to work in the first place.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA My best friend picked her wedding date on the one date I couldn't do

quote:

AITA I am a freelance photographer it's always been my dream to shoot festivals with the biggest goal to be Glastonbury, for the last two years I've have been hired by the BBC to cover a smaller stage.

Someone I consider to be my best friend who I hang out with every week if not multiple times a week was planning her wedding and when showed me the dates her venue had available for next year. I said the only one I couldnt do would be June 29th because of Glastonbury and how important that job is to me in trying to maintain this relationship and hopefully get to one of the bigger stages in the future. It also looks so good to other clients and pays a good amount of money and there are so many people waiting to take your spot if you ever turn it down. I basically replaced a girl who couldn't do it one year and they hired me I stead of her the second year.

Now she is about to send out the invites and I've found out she has picked that date and she is upset I can't come. She could have picked another date but she chose that one.

I feel really heart broken because I love her and I thought she loved me and I have been there for her through the whole wedding thing and even told her I would offer her wedding dress maker a free photoshoot if it would help bring the price of the dress down.

But now I feel poo poo because she obviously didn't care if I came or not if she picked the one day I couldn't do without loving up a huge thing in my career.

I have abandonment issues as well because of my family and it has made me feel that feeling of not being wanted.

I know how stressful weddings are but I would never want a wedding without her there and now I feel so guilty that I can't go and also doubting why she would pick the one day I couldn't and she is upset and cried when I said I couldn't come even though she knew all along I wouldn't be able to without a huge blow to my career. But she is really upset that I am picking work over her wedding and I can't help but feel guilty.

AITA

quote:

The caterer she liked was available that day I think is the main reason

okay, well now you know how important you are to your "best friend"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FMguru posted:

Ah, now here is an update (bolding in original)

OP: Hey Reddit, am I an rear end in a top hat?
Reddit, with one voice: YES! You are a total rear end in a top hat, for reasons X Y and Z!
OP: gently caress you, Reddit! None of you actually read my post or understood any of my points! This is a mob lynching of a strawman!!1!

Yeah, the only reason one hundred people called you an rear end in a top hat was because they all independently decided to not read anything you wrote and just wanted to join a lynch mob and it is actually you who are the only sane man and 100% right about everything. That's the only possible explanation.

Here's the full OP and update:

He found the one reply that kind of agreed with him, and jumped on it as full vindication, naturally.

Just adding to this to say that a mod specifically tagged the post as ‘Mega rear end in a top hat’, just for him.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ApplesandOranges posted:

Just adding to this to say that a mod specifically tagged the post as ‘Mega rear end in a top hat’, just for him.

A good mod? On reddit? I call fake!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

:hmmyes:

nice. my PHI viewpoint is slightly skewed since the definition of PHI changes once you're dead!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for denying an older woman shelter from a storm?

quote:

I (23F) am an avid hiker in Australia. Last week I encountered a middle aged woman, around 50 years old as I was coming off a trail. She was walking in my direction as I came out of the bush. It was strange to see her, the sun was almost down and the weather was starting to turn. also, this was an intermediate collection of trails at best, difficult even for me at worst. and she didn't look super athletic. Point is, my 'weird' radar was going off already.

She walked up to me and stopped, standing too close for my comfort, gestured toward the clearing where my car was parked, and asked whether it was my car. No greeting or anything. When I looked over something made me uncomfortable- there were no cars other than mine in sight. The trail I was on isn't crazy far from civilization but it's not a walk away- one of those highway rest stops that's there for the trail and a few parking spots. no way she could have got there without driving.

I let her know that, yes, it was my car, to which she responded something like "Perfect, there's a storm coming, I can't be caught in it and I need to get home". She was very matter of fact. It seemed like she had already decided what would happen. without waiting for my response, she started striding for my car. I am glad I always lock my doors because she would have hopped right in the passenger seat had the door opened.

As she was walking over to it, I went after her trying to explain that I wasn't sure it was a good idea for her to hitch a ride- asking why she was out here in the first place. I was talking to a brick wall until she realised the car was locked, at which point she turned around with this look of anger and frustration on her face. She starts ranting- the same stuff as before "I NEED to get home" "A STORM is coming" "I CANNOT be caught in it" "Why don't you get it?!". I was very confused at this point, and a little scared, as this woman was now a barrier between me and my vehicle. I told her something like 'I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable with having a stranger in my car'.

She stared me down for a few seconds, I guess trying to gauge her chances at asking again. And just like that, the anger drops from her face and she’s silent. I was really uncomfortable. I asked if I could call someone, if there was another way to help. she starts walking- towards me (scary), but then right past me. I'm still asking her questions, then just saying things like "hello" and "excuse me". no response. She walked to the other end of the rest stop and maintained eye contact with me as she sat down on a log, then just stared at nothing.

I didn’t follow her. I got into my car really shaken up and drove away. As soon as I was back in cell range I called fire and rescue, they said they would send someone out. I was scared for my safety in the moment, but she was just some woman alone in the middle of nowhere. Am I the rear end in a top hat for refusing this strange woman a ride/shelter in my car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deety posted:

I wonder if this is one of those super regional things because I've lived in small cities or suburbs for my entire adult life and never encountered a bathroom cop employee or been turned away when asking to use a restaurant or coffee shop toilet.

I’ve run into it at rural gas stations with keyed bathrooms - you get a “Gotta buy something first” before they hand over the key.

Sometimes buying gas doesn’t count. :what: