Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

they are sober and reminding themselves, gently caress using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
tell us when you need to gently caress us and you can just go ahead

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Ass-penny

I was punching back in from break and noticed that my friend who works here left an hour ago. a little odd but I don't know what he has going on. Like 5 minutes later he rolls up to my office and starts telling me about how he had to take his dog to the vet and how much it was frustrating him. I dunno, maybe he just needed to get it off his chest but it felt weird and unnecessary to me. maybe I'm not a good friend.

has anyone ruined a friendship by working with someone before lmao

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
once you get a sniff of what's going on, you can gently caress us on your platform

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i was talking to the other business units and they said they needed to know where to gently caress us

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
there's an opportunity for you to gently caress us on a training course if you want to do that

Ass-penny

anyone ever tell you you are very consent forward, doctor?

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy

rear end-penny posted:

I was punching back in from break and noticed that my friend who works here left an hour ago. a little odd but I don't know what he has going on. Like 5 minutes later he rolls up to my office and starts telling me about how he had to take his dog to the vet and how much it was frustrating him. I dunno, maybe he just needed to get it off his chest but it felt weird and unnecessary to me. maybe I'm not a good friend.

if they're your friend then like it makes sense to vent a bit about something as important as your dog being sick or w/e i mean what exactly do you find wrong about this lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ass-penny

teemolover42069 posted:

if they're your friend then like it makes sense to vent a bit about something as important as your dog being sick or w/e i mean what exactly do you find wrong about this lol

nothing in particular, it just felt weird. like, oh yeah that sucks they had to run tests and weren't already done with that when you got to the vet. yeah I would have taken a half day instead of coming back here. if you have a lot of stuff on your plate why are you over here talking to me instead of doing some of that?

there's been a few instances in the months since I started where our sines don't sync up like they used to. part of it is that he really likes the job and has a good time there, and it is just another job to me. earlier today before he went to the vet he came up to show me pictures of a prop he had just finished and it's like, oh yeah that's cool man. looks good. like he wants me to get hyped up about making the boss man money while we all drive lovely cars that are falling apart, grinding to pay rent? so that boss can gently caress off out of state and not even have to look the people he underpays in the eyes anymore? lmfao

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably vibe with your coworker friend 'cause I can't change the fact that the ceo of the company is vastly overpaid compared to me, and if I can enjoy my job and be friendly to my coworkers and take a little of the existential edge that comes with working off...poo poo, I'm down with that. but for some that's just extra emotional labor to do I guess

----------------

Ass-penny

yeah that's real. I try to remind myself that he's an extrovert and really needs to connect with people to get through things but I'm never at my most easygoing at work, I feel like the regular people hours and the 45 minute rush hour commute each way has NOT done great things for my mood or spoons with regard to bsing socially.

xcheopis

It might be useful to explain some of that to your friend. Work is work. You are not there to be friends! It's great to chat about stuff but if one of you is unhappy in the job or otherwise has A Lot Going On, then you need to establish a boundary, a line that differentiates the eork relationship from the friend one.
There is lots of advice on how to do that in a way that, hopefully, won't hurt either one of you.
Maybe letting him know you're currently feeling very burned out and just want to get through the work day would help.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Ass-penny

hey that's a good idea, xcheopis. I think he is sort of aware of all that, we're trying to find a middle ground but yeah my vibes were way off today : /

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy

xcheopis posted:

It might be useful to explain some of that to your friend. Work is work. You are not there to be friends! It's great to chat about stuff but if one of you is unhappy in the job or otherwise has A Lot Going On, then you need to establish a boundary, a line that differentiates the eork relationship from the friend one.
There is lots of advice on how to do that in a way that, hopefully, won't hurt either one of you.
Maybe letting him know you're currently feeling very burned out and just want to get through the work day would help.

I'm kind of an extrovert myself and if someone said something like that to me I'd just avoid them entirely from that point on and would assume that is what they wanted and that would likely to apply to both work and not work. but I also have untreated adhd, the main symptom of which is rejection sensitive dysphoria so I tend to react badly to poo poo like that v:shobon:v

----------------

Ass-penny

to be fair we've known each other for almost twenty years, holy poo poo I'm just realising this now

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.

teemolover42069 posted:

...I also have untreated adhd, the main symptom of which is rejection sensitive dysphoria...

Wait

That's a related symptom?

poo poo, that just basically redefined my whole childhood

gently caress

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy

DaChurl posted:

Wait

That's a related symptom?

poo poo, that just basically redefined my whole childhood

gently caress

lol yes it's one of the main symptoms of adhd. when I feel slighted by someone whose approval I actually cared about(and sometimes by someone whose approval I couldn't give less of a poo poo about) I sometimes hyperfocus on it and have a hard time letting it go. trouble focusing on any single task no matter how much you want to is the other side of the coin. you hyperfocus on poo poo you don't mean to, and can't focus on poo poo you do mean to. for me it's more the former than the latter, but I think most people it's the other way around.

----------------

Escape From Noise

Huh. I probably have ADHD. I really focus on people who don't like me (I'm pretty annoying IRL and on these forums) and it drives me insane/makes me pretty depressed a lot. Although that's maybe just my depression. It's been making this job difficult because the rest of my coworkers are mostly restaurant people and I don't fit with that mentality, especially a kitchen that's run in a more "traditional" top down sort of way. So I grate on them, especially due to my constant run-ins with the head chef. My bitching about him in earshot of the other cook hasn't ingratiated me at all. It's not fun. I know I talk about my poo poo too much and it's made more than a few people tell me to cut it out and/or gently caress off and that always really fucks with me more than it should. I really wish I was better at shutting up about it.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy

Escape From Noise posted:

Huh. I probably have ADHD. I really focus on people who don't like me (I'm pretty annoying IRL and on these forums) and it drives me insane/makes me pretty depressed a lot. Although that's maybe just my depression. It's been making this job difficult because the rest of my coworkers are mostly restaurant people and I don't fit with that mentality, especially a kitchen that's run in a more "traditional" top down sort of way. So I grate on them, especially due to my constant run-ins with the head chef. My bitching about him in earshot of the other cook hasn't ingratiated me at all. It's not fun. I know I talk about my poo poo too much and it's made more than a few people tell me to cut it out and/or gently caress off and that always really fucks with me more than it should. I really wish I was better at shutting up about it.

everything you describe here sounds like the adhd talkin' to me, yeah. but I'm like, not anything approaching a doctor. but yea that all sounds familiar

----------------

Escape From Noise

At the risk of oversharing I definitely have depression/anxiety. So who knows?

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy
lol guess what else is super, duper common with adhd

----------------

Escape From Noise

Fair enough.

Escape From Noise

At least the Korean dude at work who's a part timer has been actually cleaning not just the beer lines but the bar area as well. I asked him about it because the area no longer reeks of sour booze and fetid water and there's a noticable lack of sticky puddles and grit on the floor. I thanked him for it.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
VERY VERY VERY interesting thing about rejection sensitive dysphoria: that's a big part of what some people call "gifted child syndrome"... but i bet you 1 gazillion byob dollars that A LOT IF NOT MOST of people who think they have gifted child syndrome actually have ADHD

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dr. Honked posted:

VERY VERY VERY interesting thing about rejection sensitive dysphoria: that's a big part of what some people call "gifted child syndrome"... but i bet you 1 gazillion byob dollars that A LOT IF NOT MOST of people who think they have gifted child syndrome actually have ADHD

It's this. I was "gifted" and wew lads, turns out I'm just neurodivergent and have extreme RSD.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
I genuinely never knew there was a term for it.

I got diagnosed in 2nd-3rd grade, back when they were still very insistent that I had ADD, not ADHD, then I just got my Ritalin through my pediatrician and never saw a psychologist again (until I finally went on my own a few years ago.) My mom made a good effort to read a few books and implement some advice, but once I stopped zoning out to the point that I literally didn't hear the teacher asking us to turn in our homework, she considered everything settled, so all my coping mechanisms are stuck in the late 90s.

But like, one of my strongest early memories is having friends over for a birthday party and everyone being excited and running to the door when the last girl got there. And I had this sudden, bone-deep certainty that everyone was happier to see her than me and it was just a fundamental part of my being that people would always prefer to be around someone else.

I've definitely told that story to my therapist and my psychologist but no one's ever linked to my add before.

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

rear end-penny posted:

I am a different person while working, that's not me that's Work Me and God I wish I could loosen up but nope I'm Working

Escape From Noise

I was in the gifted program in elementary. But this was also in the Ozarks so...

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style
I need to talk to a doctor and get medicated due to my issues (including adhd)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
microsoft teams is unusable garbage

Escape From Noise

Dr. Honked posted:

Hell. Same.

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

I am a different person while working, that's not me that's Work Me and God I wish I could loosen up but nope I'm Working

:hmmyes:

like people don't seem to understand. I want to get things done here so I can go back to the real world, where I can smoke weed with impunity and drink myself to death

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style
I like you but your posts have a worrying aura to them ngl

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy

Ominous Jazz posted:

imo it's good to have a worksona, I should probably be LESS myself when working so I don't say anything insane

----------------

Ass-penny

Ominous Jazz posted:

I like you but your posts have a worrying aura to them ngl

username/post combo

Gaylor Moon

Gender? I hardly know'er
Yo whatup I'm logged on.... at work

Hope y'all are having a nice quick n easy afternoon! 💖

Ominous Jazz

Wasteland style

teemolover42069 posted:

imo it's good to have a worksona, I should probably be LESS myself when working so I don't say anything insane

It does not benefit me for the people I work with to know I'm a half gay communist

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm like 99.9% sure I have ADHD and would like to look into treatment but the thought of going through that entire process is just too big of a mountain to climb so I'm not gonna do anything instead and then feel bad

also I gotta train a new person and I forgot how exhausting it is to explain why you do everything just so

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

teemolover42069

by Fluffdaddy
I'm supposed to give a presentation to my coach team about using our speech analytics software effectively as a coach today. This was scheduled several weeks ago and I typed up a couple thousand words and examples that I'm planning on using. I went to go run through it all this morning when I logged into work and there was an update to the system that the speech analytics software is a part of and my access to it got accidentally removed and will take at least a day to fix.

Sarah Cenia posted:

I'm like 99.9% sure I have ADHD and would like to look into treatment but the thought of going through that entire process is just too big of a mountain to climb so I'm not gonna do anything instead and then feel bad

also I gotta train a new person and I forgot how exhausting it is to explain why you do everything just so

this is why im 36 and only just a couple days ago finally scheduled an appointment to get diagnosed and treated. my whole life would be different if I had just done this when I was younger. please, reach deep in there and fight the bullshit that keeps you from getting treatment.

teemolover42069 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 29, 2023

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper

Dr. Honked posted:

this morning i heard my wife screaming at teams when she logged on to work