Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
That’s one fantastic ad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I've got 4 invites left on my code for this week (as of the time of this writing) so if anyone wants to check it out, go nuts: https://arc.net/gift/75d29831

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sounds interesting. I'm a die-hard Firefox fan for technical reasons (a browser engine that isn't Chrome or WebKit* existing keeps developers honest), so I'm hoping the best usability improvements of Arc make it into the Fox someday.

Have fun with it!

*fun fact: Chrome was a fork of WebKit originally, so the two share the same DNA

Quackles fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 28, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I love arc, but I don’t know if it’s chromium or what, but it makes my MacBook run kinda hot in a way the new MacBooks aren’t supposed to. And I wish it worked with apples default password manager, or had the same continuity between my phone that safari does. There’s a new iPhone app but it doesn’t really cut it, So I’ve ended up going back to safari more often than not. But arc is very promising,

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My dad is considering buying a Mac for the first time. His main concern is all his complex spreadsheets - he’s still going to be using MS office on the Mac, is he likely going to find issues moving from the windows to the macOS versions of office? Formatting issues, broken formulas etc? He doesn’t use macros, or addons or stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad is considering buying a Mac for the first time. His main concern is all his complex spreadsheets - he’s still going to be using MS office on the Mac, is he likely going to find issues moving from the windows to the macOS versions of office? Formatting issues, broken formulas etc? He doesn’t use macros, or addons or stuff.

Does he use it locally? Can he see if the Office 365 web stuff works for him? Because if it can, that's always a fallback that will work.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Does he use it locally? Can he see if the Office 365 web stuff works for him? Because if it can, that's always a fallback that will work.

My dad will never under any circumstances use a web app, or allow his spreadsheets to be stored on the cloud (he’s one of those people).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

My dad will never under any circumstances use a web app, or allow his spreadsheets to be stored on the cloud (he’s one of those people).

Smart dad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah I don’t disagree I just brought it up since it might be useful in this case.

e: would he trust you lord bude? Could you load up a couple of his most complicated spreadsheets on your mac and give him an afternoon to gently caress around and see if his pivot tables and conditional joins work?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yeah I don’t disagree I just brought it up since it might be useful in this case.

e: would he trust you lord bude? Could you load up a couple of his most complicated spreadsheets on your mac and give him an afternoon to gently caress around and see if his pivot tables and conditional joins work?

Probably. The barrier here is I’ve never had a need for MS office, but I’ll see if I can get a trial or if his account lets him put it on multiple computers.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

The Lord Bude posted:

Macros and addons is the main thing that doesn't work. https://spreadsheeto.com/mac-vs-windows/ compares the two and let him see if any of those seem like things he needs.

Edit - Excel online is a very limited version. Inferior to either desktop version. Won't do anything complicated well.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 29, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

MacOS main differentiator for office is outlook, which is pretty much a different app compared to the win one. The rest has issues only on very specialized items like power pivot/power bi, for general use it should be fine (keep in mind that windows and mac have different font sets and render in their own way to print).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

MacOS main differentiator for office is outlook, which is pretty much a different app compared to the win one. The rest has issues only on very specialized items like power pivot/power bi, for general use it should be fine (keep in mind that windows and mac have different font sets and render in their own way to print).

Don’t think printing is a huge deal, my dad mostly deals in spreadsheets and it’s mostly for his own personal finances.

Outlook is also not important since MacOS has an actual good email client built in. Thanks this is reassuring.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of the email client, I’ve got it set up with gmail - I need to archive emails twice before they actually get moved to the archive. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
See if he's open to using Libre office or Google sheets

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

not sure which thread this is best for - is there a reason my mail (the mac mail client) rules that I setup on my laptop aren't applying in the iOS version of the mail app?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

not sure which thread this is best for - is there a reason my mail (the mac mail client) rules that I setup on my laptop aren't applying in the iOS version of the mail app?

Are rules supposed to sync between macOS and iOS? I honest to god don’t know since I don’t use rules.

Edit: Found this on MacRumors, maybe it could help? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-mail-rules.2284570/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Are rules supposed to sync between macOS and iOS? I honest to god don’t know since I don’t use rules.

Edit: Found this on MacRumors, maybe it could help? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-mail-rules.2284570/

thanks! i should probably set up the rules with gmail directly so they will apply across devices. except my groups are setup in apple contacts so ahhhhhh

i can't sync in icloud unless it's an icloud address either

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 30, 2023

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m an engineer who puts a lot of miles on Excel. Excel on mac sucks. It somehow runs sluggishly on any mac I’ve tried, including my M1 Pro. It’s just not a good experience. Like, if I was getting a machine to run MS Office, I’d get a PC. I have my displays hooked to a gaming PC and I switch over to it when I have to do more than a little Excel stuff.

Also, no Pivot Charts on mac. That’s a big-rear end feature for a lot of people.

Excel on the mac **works** it’s just a lovely experience overall. If his main computer use is NOT Excel/Office then I think it’s fine. Office runs ok-enough on a mac, but not for heavy all-day use type stuff IMO. It gave me fits at my last job trying to do big Word documents with reviewer comments and edits going back and forth with other people. Just such a worse experience on a mac.

Graniteman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 30, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I’m an engineer who puts a lot of miles on Excel. Excel on mac sucks. It somehow runs sluggishly on any mac I’ve tried, including my M1 Pro. It’s just not a good experience. Like, if I was getting a machine to run MS Office, I’d get a PC. I have my displays hooked to a gaming PC and I switch over to it when I have to do more than a little Excel stuff.

Also, no Pivot Charts on mac. That’s a big-rear end feature for a lot of people.

Excel on the mac **works** it’s just a lovely experience overall. If his main computer use is NOT Excel/Office then I think it’s fine. Office runs ok-enough on a mac, but not for heavy all-day use type stuff IMO. It gave me fits at my last job trying to do big Word documents with reviewer comments and edits going back and forth with other people. Just such a worse experience on a mac.

He’s not using it professionally, just his own spreadsheets to track his investments and finances and poo poo (he’s a retired accountant). He doesn’t use pivot charts or adding or macros. From a ‘time spent’ perspective though it would be a decent sized chunk of the time he spends on the computer. I figure If need be I can also try him on Libreoffice and numbers as a worst case scenario although those are more likely to have formatting errors in translation I would think. I’ve also installed office on my Mac using his 365 sub so he can do some tests.

Some backstory here:

At the moment he has a cheap thinkpad edge from 2016 or so. He’s in the market for a new laptop and as of 3 days ago his core requirements were:

1. Must have a 15” or bigger screen
2. Must have a numeric keypad
3. Must be under $1k AUD (for reference the 25” air is $2199 AUD). The concept of spending more than $1k on a laptop was repulsive to him.
4. Not Lenovo (due to the litany of scandals they’ve had in the time since he bought them and he doesn’t trust chinese companies)

He eventually bought an $800 Asus laptop - this one here - https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/asus-15-6-vivobook-15-notebook-core-i5-16gb-512gb-asvej1074w

It took him literally 1 hour with windows 11; and the lovely laptop screen to make him do a complete heel turn on his deepest held convictions and decide to take the laptop back for a refund and now he wants to buy a Mac to escape windows.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

He’s not using it professionally, just his own spreadsheets to track his investments and finances and poo poo (he’s a retired accountant). He doesn’t use pivot charts or adding or macros.

Sounds like he’s only using it to keep track of numbers, not manipulate them via automated functions. Would you agree?

If so then he shouldn’t have any problems with Mac Excel. Opening his existing spreadsheets in Libre or Numbers might mess up the sheet formatting he’s set up, but if he’s ok with adjusting then they would be the cheapest options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

spreadsheet dad stuff

Comedy option is Parallels in Coherence mode. That would give him a windows excel on a mac, basically. There's a 30-day free trial so he could buy all this stuff, set up parallels and see how he likes it for a couple weeks and then send it all back and get everything refunded no questions asked.

However, it costs $100 plus windows and O365. I thought it was a subscription for parallels but I think they changed it so you just pay to upgrade versions regularly if you want new stuff.

I teach Excel but don't do anything very powerful with it so I don't know how Parallels handles anything convoluted, but it sounds like that's not what we're dealing with anyway.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

tuyop posted:

Comedy option is Parallels in Coherence mode.

Not comedy, real talk. If I didn’t have a PC I’d rather run windows Excel in Parallels rather than native Mac Excel.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Graniteman posted:

Not comedy, real talk. If I didn’t have a PC I’d rather run windows Excel in Parallels rather than native Mac Excel.

Yeah I was thinking someone probably doesn't want to janitor a VM for their household budgeting. But with Parallels I don't think I've ever had to janitor my windows install.

My use case: I run OneNote and Excel that way, just open them in Windows. Takes like 25 seconds for Windows to boot, then <10 seconds for Excel to start. I often forget to turn off the VM when I'm done and I don't think I can tell whether Windows is running or not in terms of performance or battery life. If I set parallels to boot on startup, or start Excel from spotlight when the VM is running, it actually opens more quickly than the Mac excel I have. Less than 5 seconds, I'd say.

So I think you're right, it's very much a good excel dad solution aside from the cost. You can even put the Windows apps in the dock if you like.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Coherence mode has a few quirks but it is pretty nice in general.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

1. Must have a 15” or bigger screen
2. Must have a numeric keypad
3. Must be under $1k AUD (for reference the 25” air is $2199 AUD). The concept of spending more than $1k on a laptop was repulsive to him.
4. Not Lenovo (due to the litany of scandals they’ve had in the time since he bought them and he doesn’t trust chinese companies)

2 and 3 are probably dealbreakers then (no Mac laptop has a numpad for ergonomic reasons). Mac excel will probably work fine for his use case (I used it the other day, it's pretty good!) but I don't really see the point in buying a Mac if the primary purpose is using MS office. Just buy one of the less lovely dells or something.

SourKraut posted:

Coherence mode has a few quirks but it is pretty nice in general.

I think if you do this VM thing you will be installing the ARM version of Windows in a VM (which is still technically unsupported by MS I think) which then emulates the x86 office applications? Which is slow as all get-out. It's also a bit cheeky to ask a non-technical user to janitor a VM to use their spreadsheet software.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 30, 2023

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's worth noting over the last year and half excel mac has gotten much closer in feature parity to windows excel, it has Get & Transform, and pivot charts now... probably some other junk too but those were the big items that kept me from using it, it might be worth taking an inventory of the features your dad uses and checking online if they've been added recently

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

As we're on the topic of Excel -- I have Office 2021 for Mac; all the apps (Word, Powerpoint, Onenote) are the Apple Silicon versions except Excel which is still the Intel version. What gives? Apparently an ARM version of excel exists; is that only for O365?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Generic Monk posted:

2 and 3 are probably dealbreakers then (no Mac laptop has a numpad for ergonomic reasons). Mac excel will probably work fine for his use case (I used it the other day, it's pretty good!) but I don't really see the point in buying a Mac if the primary purpose is using MS office. Just buy one of the less lovely dells or something.

I think if you do this VM thing you will be installing the ARM version of Windows in a VM (which is still technically unsupported by MS I think) which then emulates the x86 office applications? Which is slow as all get-out. It's also a bit cheeky to ask a non-technical user to janitor a VM to use their spreadsheet software.

Yeah this is maybe the worst part of the solution. You need to enroll in their insider preview program for windows 11, then install it. Of course, MS can just withdraw support whenever it likes so I'm not sure if it's really the permanent solution I'm treating it as.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

Yes, it’s the ARM version of Windows 11, but it’s now fully supported by Microsoft also in tandem with Parallels. The version of office you would install would be ARM native, not x86 emulated, unless it’s an older copy of Office.

tuyop posted:

Yeah this is maybe the worst part of the solution. You need to enroll in their insider preview program for windows 11, then install it. Of course, MS can just withdraw support whenever it likes so I'm not sure if it's really the permanent solution I'm treating it as.

You don’t need to enroll in the Insider program anymore for Parallels; Microsoft partnered with Parallels to make it a smoother process, so when you install Parallels 18 (and maybe 17, I’m not sure) on an ASi Mac, it takes care of everything for you.

Otherwise, it’s fully legitimate and as “permanent” as any other Parallels Windows install would be.

You might still need a legit Windows 10/11 license though, I can’t remember, but that’s $15 off SA Mart.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 30, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tuyop posted:

Comedy option is Parallels in Coherence mode. That would give him a windows excel on a mac, basically. There's a 30-day free trial so he could buy all this stuff, set up parallels and see how he likes it for a couple weeks and then send it all back and get everything refunded no questions asked.

However, it costs $100 plus windows and O365. I thought it was a subscription for parallels but I think they changed it so you just pay to upgrade versions regularly if you want new stuff.

I teach Excel but don't do anything very powerful with it so I don't know how Parallels handles anything convoluted, but it sounds like that's not what we're dealing with anyway.

Parallels in Coherence mode is spooky. I got it to play a certain game that's only on Windows and it runs like a dream on the M1. And the advertised claim of acting just like a mac app is... true, honestly.

The home version of Parallels lets you buy a regular license for $100. I believe there's a guy in SA-Mart who has cheap windows keys but also sells Parallels subscription chunks at a substantial discount, too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The main thing is, don’t buy Parallels from the Mac App Store; it doesn’t have coherence mode.

You have to buy it from Parallels themselves, and then it’s available. My guess is that it’s a little nugget to get people to buy it direct so they don’t have to give Apple a cut of the sale.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SourKraut posted:

The main thing is, don’t buy Parallels from the Mac App Store; it doesn’t have coherence mode.

You have to buy it from Parallels themselves, and then it’s available. My guess is that it’s a little nugget to get people to buy it direct so they don’t have to give Apple a cut of the sale.

It's the sandboxing. Bet you anything.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Sounds like he’s only using it to keep track of numbers, not manipulate them via automated functions. Would you agree?

If so then he shouldn’t have any problems with Mac Excel. Opening his existing spreadsheets in Libre or Numbers might mess up the sheet formatting he’s set up, but if he’s ok with adjusting then they would be the cheapest options.

My knowledge of excel is very basic, so I can’t really answer that. But I’m struggling with the idea that a new Mac would do anything slower than the very entry level (and now positively ancient) windows laptop he has. If I remember correctly it was purchased in 2017 and it was a runout model then. And many of these spreadsheets would have origins going back to his XP machine probably

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

you don’t understand, he hated windows 11 (and some hardware related stuff with the cheap laptop he bought, but mostly windows 11) SO MUCH that after an hour or so of use he not only returned the laptop, but he had done a complete 180 on points 2 and 3 to the point where he is willing to spend the money, and buy a wireless numpad - apple actually sells one made by Belkin

I use parallels (pretty much entirely for gaming) and you can now legitimately licence windows for it, but expecting him to use parallels is a step too far most likely, both in terms of cost and general mucking around. It would be a last resort, further down the list than swapping to libreoffice or something.

He already uses an iPhone and an iPad so there are definitely some ecosystem perks for him, not to mention having an actual well built laptop with a good screen and a usable battery for the first time.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 30, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Quackles posted:

It's the sandboxing. Bet you anything.

yeah, it's probably app store limitations. daisydisk also has some (not particularly useful iirc) features that only work if you download it directly from them instead of from the app store

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

The Lord Bude posted:

My knowledge of excel is very basic, so I can’t really answer that. But I’m struggling with the idea that a new Mac would do anything slower than the very entry level (and now positively ancient) windows laptop he has. If I remember correctly it was purchased in 2017 and it was a runout model then. And many of these spreadsheets would have origins going back to his XP machine probably

If you're doing anything that pushes it, Excel really is significantly worse on a Mac. My work machine is a piece of poo poo few years old Dell that is eternally one Teams call away from blowing up and quite possibly burning down the building, but Excel runs noticeably faster than it does on my M1 Pro MBP when I'm in a massive workbook.

I suspect the Mac version of Office is some hideous rats nest of translation layers, chewing gum and dreams that translates the Windows code onto something that runs on MacOS, and it's probably a tiny miracle of software engineering that it runs at all. And Excel itself is only part of it - an old Windows machine might be choking on god knows what background processes are running, so Excel will feel faster even if it wasn't Excel itself the older machine was struggling with.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I forgot to note, office 365 has far more features than the one-time purchase variant. Amazon does 50% discounts on the subscriptions every time there is a sale.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Excel on mac is mediocre but its still a hundred thousand times better than the suggestion to use libre office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

I forgot to note, office 365 has far more features than the one-time purchase variant. Amazon does 50% discounts on the subscriptions every time there is a sale.

He’s already using 365