Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Meanwhile NYC is looking to curb emissions by going after coal fired pizza ovens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

this is the flag i would expect if norm abram was getting real political in his golden years

I do not know who that is

I do not know why this makes me bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/DongshengNews/status/1672424382650515458

China's going to be dragging to world to habitability with the West kicking and screaming.

But at what cost?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the shitlib worldview

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Yeah turns out fascists are massive loving morons.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/ShanghaiMT/status/1653104262283685889?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Chinese wind industry’s expansion is an undeniably impressive story. The world’s second-largest economy is the world’s largest onshore and offshore wind market in terms of both generation and capacity. China is not only firmly embedded across wind energy value chains—particularly in the mining and processing of rare earth elements—but it is also at the forefront of developing the world’s largest and most efficient wind turbines.

Yet China’s emergence as the world’s leading player in wind has been costly. Beijing’s wind capacity deployment to less-than-ideal locations has been inefficient, while its failure to build corresponding transmission connections stunted growth in some of its windiest provinces. Moreover, Beijing’s acquisition of wind technology—sometimes by outright theft—has increased tensions with the West. China has risen to the top of the global wind industry, but at tremendous financial and diplomatic cost.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
winning is actually losing, actually

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

some very powerful AWCs thank you

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/DongshengNews/status/1672424382650515458

China's going to be dragging to world to habitability with the West kicking and screaming.

this is amazing, but how much co2 does the coal plant produce per annum

(I'm hoping this project will effectively make the plant carbon-neutral so I can show it to my green party friends)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

The Chinese wind industry’s expansion is an undeniably impressive story. The world’s second-largest economy is the world’s largest onshore and offshore wind market in terms of both generation and capacity. China is not only firmly embedded across wind energy value chains—particularly in the mining and processing of rare earth elements—but it is also at the forefront of developing the world’s largest and most efficient wind turbines.

Yet China’s emergence as the world’s leading player in wind has been costly. Beijing’s wind capacity deployment to less-than-ideal locations has been inefficient, while its failure to build corresponding transmission connections stunted growth in some of its windiest provinces. Moreover, Beijing’s acquisition of wind technology—sometimes by outright theft—has increased tensions with the West. China has risen to the top of the global wind industry, but at tremendous financial and diplomatic cost.

Did the Germans ever build that north - south connection the power companies got all that money for to build?

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

double nine posted:

(I'm hoping this project will effectively make the plant carbon-neutral so I can show it to my green party friends)

I think your average 500 MW coal plant produces about 4 million tons of CO2 a year, so this captures a little more than a tenth of that.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

double nine posted:

carbon capture is bullshit and always a worse use of green power than just using it to supplant fossil fuel power generation

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

double nine posted:

Assuming source 1 is correct, there are four coal-fired generation units. The carbon capture mentioned in the tweet is only applied to unit 4 (2) and captures only about 90% of the CO2 and the stated figure is mentioned in that tweet. unit 3 is the same, so one can take a guess and figure a minimum of 1.1 million tons of CO2. Taking a leap of faith and assuming that units 1 and 2 are about the same as units 3 and 4, Taizhou CFPP comes out to 2.2 million tons of CO2 a year.

In terms of energy efficiency, the only stated figure is less than 2.4 GJ/ton (3) which puts it at state of the art in terms of carbon capture from the papers I've read. Not confident on measuring the energy penalty imposed but IRL figures come out to 22%-33% for expectation.

1: https://www.gem.wiki/Taizhou_power_station
2: http://en.people.cn/n3/2023/0613/c90000-20031021.html
3: https://www.ceic.com/gjnyjtwwEn/xwzx/202204/24f12ff33fb84c909e016a7ceb4e6ad3.shtml

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Keep in mind China said they won't build new coal fire power plants outside of China anymore. And I believe other companies with advanced coal power plant tech like GE stop also.

Re: wind power. Last I heard the industry is not making a lot of money. I think there is some bottleneck the technology is hitting.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
not just build, I think they're not financing any either.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
china is the only major power to take climate change seriously - but at what cost???

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Keep in mind China said they won't build new coal fire power plants outside of China anymore. And I believe other companies with advanced coal power plant tech like GE stop also.

Re: wind power. Last I heard the industry is not making a lot of money. I think there is some bottleneck the technology is hitting.

The article actually does cover that -- wind is a fine supplemental power source but you need to put it in places that aren't really power hungry and it's tough to get connected to the biggest consumers of energy.

Take some of the alpine and steppe areas of inner Mongolia. Great places for wind power, but you're hundreds of miles and big mountain ranges away from Beijing - so maybe you can get hooked into Datong or something but then there's still the transmission-distance problem so maybe it's not even really efficient to get it into that grid

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

Especially when the other guy does the winning. That loser.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Palladium posted:

The great chinese philosopher sun tzu once declared 'when looked at from far enough away, there is no difference between good things and bad, you moron'. In this article about the chinese efforts on global warming, i will

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/JewishCurrents/status/1674075033017131008?cxt=HHwWgICx5e6XwbsuAAAA

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

carbon capture is bullshit and always a worse use of green power than just using it to supplant fossil fuel power generation

mechanical carbon capture is bullshit. mycological and algal carbon capture, however,

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Telluric Whistler posted:

The article actually does cover that -- wind is a fine supplemental power source but you need to put it in places that aren't really power hungry and it's tough to get connected to the biggest consumers of energy.

Take some of the alpine and steppe areas of inner Mongolia. Great places for wind power, but you're hundreds of miles and big mountain ranges away from Beijing - so maybe you can get hooked into Datong or something but then there's still the transmission-distance problem so maybe it's not even really efficient to get it into that grid

combining carbon capture with remote but windy places seems like it would be a good idea
removes the transfer problem and the unreliability of wind doesnt matter
well, if we get a half-decent mechanichal air capture but thats a pretty big if

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just a few thought on the climate change/carbon capture related topic.

First of all, I think the new European carbon tax is a con. It's basically a trade barrier around EU but with a new name. It's intended to slow down the increase the cost of industrialization of the global south countries such as India. And since China has already industrialized and especially invested in the new energy markets, this new energy angle is not going to hurt China.

However, on the subject of climate change, I think the boat has already sailed. The fossil fuel industry is not going to decrease their output, to prevent the global temperature 1.2 degree less warm for their grandchildren. They are just going to not increase their output, and not getting the new R&D money going into the solar/wind/battery markets. We will have to plan for the incoming global peopling from the tropic slowly toward to the formerly colder and higher regions.

Also thorium based safer reactor designs, that's the future.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

i had mapo tofu last night. but at what cost?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mila kunis posted:

i had mapo tofu last night. but at what cost?

that article mentions one of the diplomatic “costs” was upsetting a german wind energy company by letting them enter the chinese market in exchange for technology transfer, because the german company failed to gain significant market share in china after that and china gained their technical knowledge

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Step one: carbon capture
Step two: split oxygen from carbon, creating pure carbon
Step three: carbon nanotubes
Step four: space elevator
Step five: red moon

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jun 29, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also thorium based safer reactor designs, that's the future.

yeah this poo poo fuckin rips. extremely cool to read about

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
its been extremely cool to read about for twenty years. not a single city on earth is powered by thorium.

the advantages of thorium over conventional PWRs are minimal.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Jun 29, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...try-20000-years

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The best nuclear power plant is the one that gets built and actually runs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fart simpson posted:

that article mentions one of the diplomatic “costs” was upsetting a german wind energy company by letting them enter the chinese market in exchange for technology transfer, because the german company failed to gain significant market share in china after that and china gained their technical knowledge

Wow that is a huge cost.

Wonder if China will ever recover.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how much of Asia’s population lives at or near sea level ?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Usually tech companies are willing to license out/sell their technology when they are losing market to more competitive market leaders. Its not like buyers are guaranteed to profit from your slightly older tech. Its a business gamble for both parties involved.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Usually tech companies are willing to license out/sell their technology when they are losing market to more competitive market leaders. Its not like buyers are guaranteed to profit from your slightly older tech. Its a business gamble for both parties involved.

it's common practice. For example, CATL is providing tech transfer to Ford as part of their agreement to setup the battery plant in the US, of course the politicians might still axe that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

its always funny when capitalist corporations get upset when they're outcompeted by china. just absolute never thought the leopard would eat my face energy

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/chinese-spy-balloon-shot-information-biden

quote:

A Chinese spy balloon that flew over the United States earlier this year before being shot down did not collect information as it went across the country, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

“We assess that it did not collect while it was flying over the US,” Pentagon spokesman Brig Gen Pat Ryder told reporters.

The balloon spent a week flying over the United States and Canada before the US military shot it down off the Atlantic coast on Biden’s orders.

More soon …

:aaaaa:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
the nefarious ccp remotely disabled the spy technology once they realized they were caught red handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
they admit it...