Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Djeser posted:

My personal favorite vaguely ancient Egypt-related fantasy novel is Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates, which is about a time-travel tourist trip to 1800's London that goes wrong and then they're fighting evil sorcerer clowns who have to wear stilts because sorcery is moon magic so touching the earth hurts them. Eventually there's a big showdown in Egypt with the head sorcerer guy, who has to live in a giant sphere so he doesn't go flying off into space, because he's so moon-aligned that he's gravitationally bound to the Moon but not to Earth.

You can tell Tim Powers has a thing for Romantic poets, but as male genre fiction author hyperfixations go, it's not a fetish, so he's already ahead of the curve.

It was a hellova romp, but I was a bit disappointed that the one ancient Egyptian curse he wrote out was mostly bullshit, cause it used just enough real ancient Egyptian words for me to pay attention, which made me try to translate it only to discover half the words were total nonsense and the few real words were barely used correctly

But then I’m a big ‘ol nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last Call (about poker) and Declare (about cold-war espionage) are excellent too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Lone Badger posted:

Last Call (about poker) and Declare (about cold-war espionage) are excellent too.

As long as we're naming them, I also enjoyed The Stress of Her Regard, about vampire muses vs Byron, Keats, and Percy Shelley, and Three Days to Never which is just weird as hell.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The best example is Rama II basically going, "Oh all those space colonies mentioned in the first book? They are no longer a thing and everybody just decided to move back to Earth." It couldn't be more blatant that the co-author needed the crutch of relying on the stereotypes of different nations and couldn't be bothered to adjust his writing to the setting.

God, the Rama sequels were such complete trash. I'm struggling to think of another series which such a hard and fatal drop in quality after the first one. Maybe Jaws?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Was Jaws even any good in the first place? I thought it was on the usual list of dumb and bad books that got turned into great movies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Byzantine posted:

God, the Rama sequels were such complete trash. I'm struggling to think of another series which such a hard and fatal drop in quality after the first one. Maybe Jaws?

Gentry Lee is a hack, and is one of those sf/f authors who is probably one of the most note-perfect examples of the sort of thing people complain about when they complain about sex in genre fiction. I'm pretty sure Clarke didn't contribute a drat thing to the sequels except his name on the cover.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Was Jaws even any good in the first place? I thought it was on the usual list of dumb and bad books that got turned into great movies.

Good lord, no. Among other things there is a terminally long and boring subplot featuring Hooper having an affair with Brody's wife and Brody trying to figure out how much he resents him for it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
One time I picked up a book at Goodwill based on the title alone (Bigfoot and the Librarian). It was a romance where a librarian moves to a mysterious small town and it turns out that Bigfoot lives there. And the reason that nobody ever catches Bigfoot is that he is a ....were-Bigfoot? Shapeshifter? Not sure of the terminology.

regarding shifting, the author posted:

When the hair started to grow, it tickled. Then, for a few seconds, it actually hurt. His legs grew longer, and that hurt a little, too. He was accustomed to the pain, and did not mind it. When his penis drew entirely into his body it didn’t hurt, but the sensation was odd, like no other he had ever experienced

I think about that specific scene a lot, for some reason.

wheatpuppy has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Good lord, no. Among other things there is a terminally long and boring subplot featuring Hooper having an affair with Brody's wife and Brody trying to figure out how much he resents him for it.

Also Ellen Brody tells Hooper about a fantasy she has of a Black handyman raping her.

And the reason the mayor wants to keep the beach open is he's in deep with the mob and at one point some mobsters kill Brody's cat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Byzantine posted:

God, the Rama sequels were such complete trash.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Gentry Lee is a hack, and is one of those sf/f authors who is probably one of the most note-perfect examples of the sort of thing people complain about when they complain about sex in genre fiction. I'm pretty sure Clarke didn't contribute a drat thing to the sequels except his name on the cover.

liiiiiiterally so bad they made me start this thread

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rockman Reserve posted:

liiiiiiterally so bad they made me start this thread

Oh hey, look at that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I went back to read the OP, and laughed when I saw The Dark Half was the other thing it called out. I have a huge soft spot for Stephen King, enough to cover a lot of his issues as a writer, but god that book sucks. I reread it recently for the first time in ages, and it felt like I was reading a completely different book than the one I had vague memories of. I was just rolling my eyes the entire time at how stupid and obvious it felt until I gave up, it feels very much like a book the folks who made Garth Merenghi's DARKPLACE had in mind when they made that show.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

I went back to read the OP, and laughed when I saw The Dark Half was the other thing it called out. I have a huge soft spot for Stephen King, enough to cover a lot of his issues as a writer, but god that book sucks. I reread it recently for the first time in ages, and it felt like I was reading a completely different book than the one I had vague memories of. I was just rolling my eyes the entire time at how stupid and obvious it felt until I gave up, it feels very much like a book the folks who made Garth Merenghi's DARKPLACE had in mind when they made that show.

If you read Marenghi's recent book it gets an even more explicit callout there with the Dark Fractions!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

If you read Marenghi's recent book it gets an even more explicit callout there with the Dark Fractions!

Thanks for the reminder! :tipshat:
I kept forgetting to check that out, and I had audio credits that needed using. Already laughing at the author intro.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thanks for the reminder! :tipshat:
I kept forgetting to check that out, and I had audio credits that needed using. Already laughing at the author intro.

I got the ebook and would love to know how the audiobook handles the “cut” sections

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I read Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides shortly before reading Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes, which is similarly a quasi-historical pirate book, but is so much worse by almost every metric. It was a manuscript found on his computer after his death and man, it was not worth publishing. In Pirate Latitudes, there's one chapter from the point of view of a young teenage prostitute going "he he he I love having sex with old men because they give me money >:)".

By contrast, even though On Stranger Tides has a weird pervert mind controlling the love interest to keep her imperiled, she's an adult and the climax of the book is her consenting to marriage.

(Also, Assassin's Creed IV: The Pirate One is so clearly based off of On Stranger Tides that the plot of the game actually makes more sense if you know the plot of the book. They removed the love interest that's in the book, and tried to stuff in a bunch of assassin poo poo in its place. They filed enough of the numbers off that it's Guybrush Threepwood territory, but the writing team was definitely working with something in mind.)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Djeser posted:

I read Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides shortly before reading Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes, which is similarly a quasi-historical pirate book, but is so much worse by almost every metric. It was a manuscript found on his computer after his death and man, it was not worth publishing. In Pirate Latitudes, there's one chapter from the point of view of a young teenage prostitute going "he he he I love having sex with old men because they give me money >:)".

By contrast, even though On Stranger Tides has a weird pervert mind controlling the love interest to keep her imperiled, she's an adult and the climax of the book is her consenting to marriage.

(Also, Assassin's Creed IV: The Pirate One is so clearly based off of On Stranger Tides that the plot of the game actually makes more sense if you know the plot of the book. They removed the love interest that's in the book, and tried to stuff in a bunch of assassin poo poo in its place. They filed enough of the numbers off that it's Guybrush Threepwood territory, but the writing team was definitely working with something in mind.)

I know this is the bad book thread, but The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi is a really good historical fantasy pirate novel in the vein of Sinbad stories. A lot like Stranger Tides, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more for its Arabic middle-aged sick-of-poo poo lady pirate protagonist

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

I know this is the bad book thread, but The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi is a really good historical fantasy pirate novel in the vein of Sinbad stories. A lot like Stranger Tides, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more for its Arabic middle-aged sick-of-poo poo lady pirate protagonist

I decided to grab this with my other audio credit and give it a chance. I haven't listened to much yet, but I thought it was funny given recent thread chat that it opens with "see the included pdf for a map and glossary" :v:

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Jaws II is a pretty good novel, better than Benchley's original and way better than the film. It's based off an earlier script draft as is often the case with film novelizations and there's a lot of mafia stuff and Amity being a corrupt little shithole.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I decided to grab this with my other audio credit and give it a chance. I haven't listened to much yet, but I thought it was funny given recent thread chat that it opens with "see the included pdf for a map and glossary" :v:

:v: A map and glossary that aren’t even needed when it’s set in the Gulf of Aden and the terms are all Arabic—it’s easy enough to look that stuff up online. I appreciate stuff like that being there for whoever wants it though

I used so much Egyptian Arabic in the novel I recently finished writing, I tried putting a glossary in the back and it swelled up to ridiculous proportions. I’m debating just scrapping the glossary after reading (the English translation of) Tomb of Sand by Geetanjali Shree, which was packed with Hindi and Hindi cultural references with no gloss, no footnotes, only inline translations for the lines of poetry people quoted. The rest—just look it up if you need to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Lone Badger posted:

I loved Declare.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the reason the mayor wants to keep the beach open is he's in deep with the mob

THIS, I feel, should have been kept for the film, because as is, it makes it look like the Mayor is just an absolute idiot who refuses to close the beaches even when a kid dies.

Yes yes, politicians, but it can be difficult to apply RL stupidity to fiction without breaking the narrative.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Strategic Tea posted:

It's the crest for one of the necromancer houses from Gideon the Ninth - here! https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/07/the-skulls-of-gideon-the-ninth/

Mine's sixth, and I think someone is floating around with a seventh house av too

They're books whose extremely online memeyness should make them terrible, but instead helps them absolutely nail the desolate tone and unhinged characters.

The sequels make it pretty clear that all the meme references are not actually out of place because the God-Emperor and his OG cronies are literally a bunch of lovely chronically online millenials or Gen-Zers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cornwind Evil posted:

THIS, I feel, should have been kept for the film, because as is, it makes it look like the Mayor is just an absolute idiot who refuses to close the beaches even when a kid dies.

Yes yes, politicians, but it can be difficult to apply RL stupidity to fiction without breaking the narrative.

Now I'm picturing a plot where the mobsters are the ones who go after the shark.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Way too many authors are just like that setting stories in unfamiliar locales, they go by stereotypes because that's pretty much all they have to go on.

Some years ago I read this big SF/technothriller book by a German author (The Swarm by Frank Schätzing) and while the book as a whole was not terrible, the author chose to set some key scenes exactly where I grew up in rural/coastal Norway. And... let's say... I am pretty sure the author had some friends who'd been on holiday there and shown him some pictures (it's a popular holiday destination for Germans, especially if they like fishing) . Because he did a pretty good job describing the physical geography of the place, at least, I will give him that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nitpicking Kindle Unlimited books is probably unsporting, but

quote:

His expensive suit had been tailored well, probably by the best. It fit like a glove.

:shuckyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm picturing a plot where the mobsters are the ones who go after the shark.

"Lookit this mook! Biff! Right in the kisser!"
"Tony you can't just punch a shark, ya gotta give it the 'poon!"
"I ain't got a harpoon, boss, I got these haymakers!"
"And I ain't talkin' harpoons ya numbnuts, I'm talkin' shark poon! Lady sharks, a dame! See what I'm gettin at?"
"Saaaay, that's smooth, boss!"
"Gotta be smoother than the shark, Nonna always said!"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

"Lookit this mook! Biff! Right in the kisser!"
"Tony you can't just punch a shark, ya gotta give it the 'poon!"
"I ain't got a harpoon, boss, I got these haymakers!"
"And I ain't talkin' harpoons ya numbnuts, I'm talkin' shark poon! Lady sharks, a dame! See what I'm gettin at?"
"Saaaay, that's smooth, boss!"
"Gotta be smoother than the shark, Nonna always said!"

So would say that this shark is gonna end up... sleeping with the fishes?

:D

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

So would say that this shark is gonna end up... sleeping with the fishes?

:D

But Paulie, sharks don't sleep.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

He's gonna be sleepin with both eyes closed tonight!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Come to think of it that's basically a Yakuza plot. poo poo, Kiryu has canonically fought sharks.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Here's a classic from my collection I was reminded of while dusting my shelves today. I couldn't find the scene that involves edible panties while flipping through it to take a picture. Please excuse my terrible bony fingers.

(edit: added timg)

Hellequin has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jul 4, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi

Just to re-follow-up, I finished this and liked it a lot, I would also recommend it. The main downside is that it's the first in a trilogy, but only came out this year so who knows when more will be published. Apparently it ties into the world of an existing trilogy by the same author (City of Brass and its sequels), so I guess I'll have to check those out next time I'm looking for a new book.

Anyway, that's enough good books, back to Vampire Jesus and co.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Groke posted:

The sequels make it pretty clear that all the meme references are not actually out of place because the God-Emperor and his OG cronies are literally a bunch of lovely chronically online millenials or Gen-Zers

Like this one?

“If I fought the Resurrection Beast I’d leave my Houses to die,” he said. “If I fought the Heralds, I might well go mad, which would be the same thing. So I’m shut in here—walled in, really—to prevent the Nine Houses becoming none House, with left grief.”

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh poo poo, LaB! I thought you had left the forums! Nice to see you again!

Captain Hygiene posted:

For another example of a book that was made into a WAY better movie, L.A. Confidential. The book was more reminiscent of American Psycho than anything by Dashiell Hammett.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apropos of nothing, but Hammett was always better than Chandler.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apropos of nothing, but Hammett was always better than Chandler.

Hard disagree but I think they're doing different things anyway.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

thepopmonster posted:

Like this one?

For example, yes.

There's a Homestar Runner reference at one point. And so on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This isn't anything new, but it popped up in my feed and made me laugh all over again: Great Moments in Historical Novel Research, when an author did some googling for dye ingredients and somehow wound up putting recipes from a Zelda game into their book :bravo:

Makes me wonder what other dumb/blatant research fuckups have made their way to publication by other authors.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Jul 6, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Captain Hygiene posted:

This isn't anything new, but it popped up in my feed and made me laugh all over again: Great Moments in Historical Novel Research, when an author did some googling for dye ingredients and somehow wound up putting recipes from a Zelda game into their book :bravo:

Makes me what other dumb/blatant research fuckups have made their way to publication by other authors.

There was that one woman who wrote a book about (iirc) homosexuality being punishable by death in England. Only to find out, in a live interview after publication, that she had completely misunderstood the legal terminology she was quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

There was that one woman who wrote a book about (iirc) homosexuality being punishable by death in England. Only to find out, in a live interview after publication, that she had completely misunderstood the legal terminology she was quoting.

Oh yeah, I remember that one too. There was some wording that was confusing if you accepted it at a cursory level without any further research, but I forget the exact details and my searches are way too vague to find that case.