Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/parrot_soldier/status/1674419138125795329
They still have some of those left? I thought they gave them all to the soldiers of the so-called republics during the early days of the war
Footage is SFW

This is good for Russia, because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Impressive find given how many shells the Soviet Union fired in World War 2

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Lord of War's first half was a documentary

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/parrot_soldier/status/1674419138125795329
They still have some of those left? I thought they gave them all to the soldiers of the so-called republics during the early days of the war
Footage is SFW

It's 2150, The Russo-Hungarian empire has invaded the Inner Mongolian Cybernetic Protectorate, video is released showing the bio engineered super soldiers dressed like reenactors from WW2 with Mosins from the 1890's. Helmets have been upgraded from plastic to potato starch.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Lord of War's first half was a documentary

The weapons and vehicles on that movie were by the way real. It was cheaper to rent them from ex-soviet gun runners than make wooden/rubber props in such numbers.

Yeah, no really. Its listed as trivia for example in IMDB.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 29, 2023

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Prig is missing according to CNN

:lol:

Oh yeah trusting Poots on that deal was a great play!

Out of nowhere everything goes dark. You didn't even see the gunman coming. In your last moment of consciousness you resign yourself to the fact that it was always going to end this way. Then, just as suddenly, you're alive again. Its 2014, but you aren't marching into Crimea. You've been stripped of everything you strove for. A mysterious person gives you money. Tauntingly close, but not quite enough to rebuild your life. In broken english you ask your cruel benefactor:

"Is this.. hell?"

"Close, GBS. Your son has DSLs by the way."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Sniper" is also used in media reports, or soldiers talking about themselves, when they really mean designated marksman or sometimes even just "guy with rifle". I wouldn't take a newspaper article's designation of a "sniper" to mean much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

The weapons and vehicles on that movie were by the way real. It was cheaper to rent them from ex-soviet gun runners than make wooden/rubber props in such numbers.

Yeah, no really. Its listed as trivia for example in IMDB.

Pretty sure they were cg, look at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUEiKs2UAo&t=72s

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think he means the scene with the big ads depressing Soviet warehouse full of guns

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/TWMCLtd/status/1674365438665408513

Puccia is scattering its war dead across numerous cemeteries, which any country would do if their 3 day special military operation was going as planned one and a half years later. :nms: for pictures of graves.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Anders posted:

I think we agree in principle - American fighters are objectively better in the air, while Swedish fighters are easier to hide, maintain and supply.

It’s hard to say what doctrine is better, and I think it’s likely that the Swedish doctrine is better for smaller nations and smaller air forces

No worries, my reply was unnecessarily snarky (had an infuriating day yesterday :saddowns:)

Kinda related, but the new Saab AJS-37 Viggen has some insane landing and takeoff

good lord that is a high AoA approach :stare: also :lol: at the forest of clicks when it throttles up. it's almost white noise!

and yeah I think we agree. I can see how short/improvised airstrips can be very useful for an individual nation's consideration when not part of a large bloc. hell iirc in the early parts of the war Ukraine was operating MiG-29s off roads and stuff, and maybe still is. we're cool :cheers:

:eyepop: I had never heard of this! that's really cool. I knew about the remotely powered microphone in the wall sculpture or whatever.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Look, The Mosin-Nagant was not built to satisfy the military-industrial complex, so it just Works, unlike the various weapons

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TWMCLtd/status/1674365438665408513

Puccia is scattering its war dead across numerous cemeteries, which any country would do if their 3 day special military operation was going as planned one and a half years later. :nms: for pictures of graves.

Standard soviet practice to hide casualties through obfuscation. They practiced it extensively with the Afghantsy casualties

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I cannot make you believe me, but IMDB and for example this article: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2472161/why-lord-of-war-starring-nicolas-cage-bought-3000-real-guns-instead-of-props both say that the guns in that movie are not props or replicas, but real ones they rented or bought from a real gunrunner for the movie. CG animations non-withstanding of course.

So if you are wandering where the Soviet stockpiles went, that gives you an idea on how cheap they were to acquire.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Imagine joining the army and getting a 1890's build date mosin nagant and you watch the other guys get ak47's

Imagine building a gun today for a war that will be fought in the year 3050.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

EorayMel posted:

Imagine joining the army and getting a 1890's build date mosin nagant and you watch the other guys get ak47's

"Well, especially after some refinements, the Mosin-Nagant, in the hands of an experienced rifleman, is...."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I mean, by 3050, any surviving example of a Mosin would probably be in a high security vault somewhere as a priceless relic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

tiaz posted:

:eyepop: I had never heard of this! that's really cool. I knew about the remotely powered microphone in the wall sculpture or whatever.
that event is one of the most popular stories in cryptography and codebreaking circles because the Americans at the time were actively suspicious and were already checking out everything the soviets touched, and they still missed those keyloggers because they were just completely different from what they were thinking of when they said "signal" - the takeaway lesson being that nothing is ever 100% secure if it is in use, novel thinking may exploit a gap in your assumptions, even if it is next year or three years from now or whatever. it's a great example of how dedicated hackers operate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stuff like this is probably why military installations (at least here) have alarms on everything. Open up a light switch cover plate? That's a silent alarm. (As some conscripts I knew found out much to their own cost.)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

M2 easily has another hundred years ahead

naem
May 29, 2011

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

https://youtu.be/e2ZRSwul7cE

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre making a sequel to lord of war

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/AndrewPerpetua/status/1674420164975263744

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lockback posted:

"Sniper" is also used in media reports, or soldiers talking about themselves, when they really mean designated marksman or sometimes even just "guy with rifle". I wouldn't take a newspaper article's designation of a "sniper" to mean much.

Yeah, worth noting that at least Soviet style squad typically were supposed to have one designated marksman (that's what the dragunov was made for, though it doesn't have to be a dragunov of course, variety is a thing) in each squad (I think typically 7 or 8 men). I don't know if Russia or Ukraine still follow that template though I wouldn't be terribly surprised, I've seen those marksmen refered to as snipers before but that is really kind of a misleading label as this is a soldier who still operates within a normal rifle squad, not as part of a sniper team.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Uh.

If they captured vessel that means the Donetsk airport is an untenable position for the Russians.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Technically speaking snipers are usually the guys going on 3 day long crawl missions to blow a VIP's head off and are far from the main action. You have Designated Marksmen which are guys in regular squads with rifles more precise than most, but those guns don't have to be super precise, nor the guys using them for shooting heads off at 1400 meters, where they usually shoot heads off at 300 meters

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Prig was back In Moscow for a negotiation as of yesterday.

Now he's gone.

Imagine taking a mutiny right up to the gates of Moscow, taking the deal to stand down, and thinking you were in any fashion safe to set foot anywhere near Moscow for the rest of your life.

How stupid do you have to be to think Putin isn't absolutely planning to have you dealt with at the nearest possible convenience for the FSB?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Uh.

If they captured vessel that means the Donetsk airport is an untenable position for the Russians.

That's a different Vesele. The Vesele Perpetua is talking about is here:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I appreciate that Mr Putin is aware of the great importance of the three R's:

* Reduce (they don't produce new weaponry)
* Reuse (best army in the business when it comes to this)
* Recycle (tanks keep reusing other tank parts)

NATO should learn from their example

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Imagine taking a mutiny right up to the gates of Moscow, taking the deal to stand down, and thinking you were in any fashion safe to set foot anywhere near Moscow for the rest of your life.

How stupid do you have to be to think Putin isn't absolutely planning to have you dealt with at the nearest possible convenience for the FSB?

I wonder about this too. Do guys like him not know that Putin kills people? Do they assume if he promised something, he's trustworthy? Like, how the gently caress can I understand that Putin will kill you if he THINKS you betray him but the guys getting orders from him don't?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I wonder about this too. Do guys like him not know that Putin kills people? Do they assume if he promised something, he's trustworthy? Like, how the gently caress can I understand that Putin will kill you if he THINKS you betray him but the guys getting orders from him don't?

the same way mob dudes do? they expect their connections or personal loyalties will allow them to outmaneuver the other guy or that they're too valuable when the time comes.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/BDeMayo/status/1673034622286938112?s=20 Finally an explanation of Prigozhin's little adventure that makes sense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

That's a different Vesele. The Vesele Perpetua is talking about is here:

One think that annoys me about Ukraine is there are like 15 of the same loving town names it makes it very difficult to know what the hell is going on sometimes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Richie "prigohzin" Aprile.

He's gone gone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

One think that annoys me about Ukraine is there are like 15 of the same loving town names it makes it very difficult to know what the hell is going on sometimes.

That's not really a Ukraine trend. You'll find that all over, most placenames aren't very imaginative or complicated and are thus reused a whole lot.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah same. Not even getting into the time one of the GBS threads was thrown for a mollywobble for several pages because articles were posted describing events in New York and a bunch of people started arzying about russian attacks on NYC and a lot of people learned about

Randarkman posted:

That's not really a Ukraine trend. You'll find that all over, most placenames aren't very imaginative or complicated and are thus reused a whole lot.

my home state has a Rome, a Cairo (pronounced kay-ro), and an Athens :v:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, worth noting that at least Soviet style squad typically were supposed to have one designated marksman (that's what the dragunov was made for, though it doesn't have to be a dragunov of course, variety is a thing) in each squad (I think typically 7 or 8 men). I don't know if Russia or Ukraine still follow that template though I wouldn't be terribly surprised, I've seen those marksmen refered to as snipers before but that is really kind of a misleading label as this is a soldier who still operates within a normal rifle squad, not as part of a sniper team.

I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian, but as a native speaker of a language where marksman and sniper are both the same word, I can understand the conflation.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

the same way mob dudes do? they expect their connections or personal loyalties will allow them to outmaneuver the other guy or that they're too valuable when the time comes.

He wasn't loyal!!!!! He tried to take the throne!!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't speak Russian or Ukrainian, but as a native speaker of a language where marksman and sniper are both the same word, I can understand the conflation.

In Russian sharpshooter/marksman is generally меткий стрелок (metkiy strelok) or just стрелок (remember Girkin chose his war name as Igor Strelkov, Igor "The Shooter"). Sniper in Russian is снайпер (snai-per)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Steven Segal is going to run over the remaining ramparts of Adviika with a car